IGNORED

Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful

samurai_sarah

17 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Oh yum - lemon meringue pie is actually my favourite. Bring it!

@Captain Obvious lemon meringue pies are a huge pain in the butt to make but if I had a way to make one and deliver it to your door tonight I would. That's how much joy those pictures brought me.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Whoa! Teri is involved in the church? That's awesome. She's doing something besides the First Church of Stevehovah, Couch! 

Yes.  I meant the missions committee, not ministry.  Scroll down.  Here's her picture  https://www.opendoorinfo.org/maw  

• Thank You 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Mela99 said:

my grandmothers orange ricotta pie with dark chocolate chips

OMG!!! That sounds yummy.  I wish you had the recipie too!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 8/23/2022 at 10:57 PM, Captain Obvious said:

Oh yeah - one more thing about the photos - you can see a (female) photographer in them. So no Terrible Christopher Maxwell Wedding Photos That Could Also Double As Funeral Photos (TM).

This really makes me curious as to whether they had dancing at their reception. They may have had a smaller, private party after the cake/mints/nuts/punch reception at the church. I would highly doubt alcohol but I could see dancing happening in such a fun-loving and not-suffocatingly-sheltered family like Kory's. Having dancing or alcohol is an automatic disqualifier for C.Max's wedding photography services.

The photographer in the pic looked well-prepared - multiple cameras, a harness, dressed in pants to make it easy to move around and get the shots she needed. We were speculating about whether the same photographer who did John and Chelsy's wedding would do Sarah's, as they had stayed in touch in the years that followed, but the photographer in the picture has brown hair (the Johnson sister has blonde) and also was wearing pants - when I scanned through the Johnson Family blog it appears they are skirts-only. It's also possible that maybe Sarah WANTED to have the Johnson sister photograph her wedding, but in the timeframe that worked for her (working with the teensy date range left between Mary's return from Africa and the start of the fall semester at ABC) but she was already booked.

• Upvote 9

Christopher’s 2 middle kids look like they were dressed from Full House costumes from the early 1980s. No kid should be wearing an ankle length, heavy floral dress in the middle of summer. (Or ever.)

Oh and a female, pants - wearing photographer! How exciting. Females can have jobs outside the home.

Also a non-white person in a Maxwell wedding….in the past their weddings have looked like a sea of meringue…..it signals to me positive things that Sarah has gotten to be such good friends with a non-family member that they’re in her wedding. (Unless the woman is married to one of Kodys brothers?)

Anyway, I think we got our final line in the Maxwell book. ‘And they all lived happily ever after…..except for Steve.’

:sighs in contentment:

• Upvote 22
  • Haha 2
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I would not be mad if everyone kept posting pie recipes emoji23.png Lately I’ve been thinking about my grandmothers orange ricotta pie with dark chocolate chips. Wish I still had her recipe.

The Maxwells have an easy answer for that - "Google it!" Because surely the first hit will be the very same one your grandmother made.

All joking aside, I feel your pain. It was only after my grandma passed that I realized how many of her treasured recipes I hadn't gotten from her.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I would not be mad if everyone kept posting pie recipes emoji23.png Lately I’ve been thinking about my grandmothers orange ricotta pie with dark chocolate chips. Wish I still had her recipe.

I actually really love that shade of mauve/blush. It’s very flattering

The Italian pie that's made on Easter?  If so, I know how to make it.  It's just the regular Easter pie but with orange juice instead of lemon juice.  Also orange rind.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, treemom said:

I was being nosey and looking at church bulletins.  The Mahers are mentioned as greeters.  Melanie’s family maybe?

Does it list first names? According to Fundamentalist Wiki, her parents are Roger and Linda and she has brothers named Simon, Noah, and Isaiah. Nathan and Melanie met while the Maxwells were still attending a regular church (pre-nursing home.) Is it possible that Church of the Open Door was the one they left to start the nursing home church?

• Upvote 4

The Maxwells have an easy answer for that - "Google it!" Because surely the first hit will be the very same one your grandmother made.
All joking aside, I feel your pain. It was only after my grandma passed that I realized how many of her treasured recipes I hadn't gotten from her.

It definitely wouldn’t be the same - she and her parents were Italian immigrants and most of the recipes were by “mouth” so if they didn’t get written down …. :(

Makes me really sad
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hellothere said:

OMG!!! That sounds yummy.  I wish you had the recipie too!

It does sound delicious.  I looked and found several very similar recipes.  I sent one to my email and can’t wait to make it!  As soon as it cools down.

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I don't know how close this is to the OP's grandma's, but it's a fairly traditional recipe.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/orange-chocolate-ricotta-pie/

This one appealed to me!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjIxonYmeP5AhW4JDQIHUVAA5wQFnoECFAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.afamilyfeast.com%2Fchocolate-chip-ricotta-pie%2F&usg=AOvVaw3L0wSw8k9xUCaCZi4CYuqP

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

Does it list first names? According to Fundamentalist Wiki, her parents are Roger and Linda and she has brothers named Simon, Noah, and Isaiah. Nathan and Melanie met while the Maxwells were still attending a regular church (pre-nursing home.) Is it possible that Church of the Open Door was the one they left to start the nursing home church?

Isaiah Maher is listed in one of the earlier bulletins, so I'd say it is them.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Bethy said:

This really makes me curious as to whether they had dancing at their reception. They may have had a smaller, private party after the cake/mints/nuts/punch reception at the church. I would highly doubt alcohol but I could see dancing happening in such a fun-loving and not-suffocatingly-sheltered family like Kory's. Having dancing or alcohol is an automatic disqualifier for C.Max's wedding photography services.

I doubt it. The wedding was at 2pm, the reception was described as a 'small reception' and it appears they left at around 5-7pm. Allowing time for the ceremony and photos and whatever food/snacks were served, and to mingle with their guests, there probably wasn't much time left for anything else. Also, dancing at 3-4pm at a reception without any alcohol would have been odd.

There may have been an after-party, but in line with fundie tradition, Sarah and Kory wouldn't have been there. 

• Upvote 6

I just hope poor Abbie is making some friends at the church. I’ve always felt bad she was the oldest cousin and didn’t have any around her age to hang out with. If she finds some friends at church, it would likely mean a lot to her since she’s a teen now. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 12

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I just hope poor Abbie is making some friends at the church. I’ve always felt bad she was the oldest cousin and didn’t have any around her age to hang out with. If she finds some friends at church, it would likely mean a lot to her since she’s a teen now. 

That would be awesome -  it would expand her world!  Hopefully the parents don't see her as heir main babysitter and keep all her free time family  (and chore) centered.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

The Italian pie that's made on Easter?  If so, I know how to make it.  It's just the regular Easter pie but with orange juice instead of lemon juice.  Also orange rind.  

Maybe ! We never had it at Easter. It definitely has a distinct texture, and I so remember those chunks of dark dark chocolate and the sweet orange
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, louannems said:

It does sound delicious.  I looked and found several very similar recipes.  I sent one to my email and can’t wait to make it!  As soon as it cools down.

This one appealed to me!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjIxonYmeP5AhW4JDQIHUVAA5wQFnoECFAQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.afamilyfeast.com%2Fchocolate-chip-ricotta-pie%2F&usg=AOvVaw3L0wSw8k9xUCaCZi4CYuqP

I personally like the standard ricotta pie better than the orange one.  My aunt liked the orange one so she made that, but my grandmother and my other aunts did the regular Easter pie.  That has lemon instead.  Use 4 eggs, The big container of ricotta, salt, cinnamon, juice of a lemon, lemon zest, sugar, mini chocolate chips.  Mix it all up and bake until the crust is light brown.  Refrigerate and it will set.  

• Upvote 3

Does anyone wonder if, since Sarah moved out at the two daughters went to college around a similar time frame, if maybe Joe encouraged or helped them all do this or if the pastor could’ve helped pay for the girls to go? I can’t see Steve paying for it voluntarily after preaching against college for so long? Also, I’ve been thinking Sarah met Kody on app or site.  Whatever happened, I think the girls wanted out…

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Maybe ! We never had it at Easter. It definitely has a distinct texture, and I so remember those chunks of dark dark chocolate and the sweet orange

In the recipe I posted, substitute the lemon juice and zest and use orange juice and orange zest instead.  My aunt ditched the juice of an orange for Tropicana juice.  She liked the stronger taste.  

• Upvote 2

Does anyone wonder if, since Sarah moved out at the two daughters went to college around a similar time frame, if maybe Joe encouraged or helped them all do this or if the pastor could’ve helped pay for the girls to go? I can’t see Steve paying for it voluntarily after preaching against college for so long? Also, I’ve been thinking Sarah met Kody on app or site.  Whatever happened, I think the girls wanted out…

Would Joe be one encouraging though? I might be behind on the family dynamics
I like the way that one looks!!

This looks pretty good actually. Lose the powdered sugar and maybe add another pound of ricotta and whip it good ….

This feels like a scientific sacrifice I need to make. I’ll make this pie and report back.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

The more godly your desires for your family, the more resistance you might expect. It may come from extended family, neighbors, “friends” or sadly, even people at church who don’t like your particular direction.

So is he talking about his married sons here, then? (Except Christopher, I assume.)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I think I’m up to date on sharing the heartwarming photos! A few of y’all included your email addresses - honeys, I’m lucky to have figured out PM sharing, much less emails! LOL! If you asked & did not receive, drop me a line.  I’m happy to oblige. 

Someone commended me for “doing the lord’s work.”  I only know it was a constant delight to glimpse Anna cracking up with giggles, or S & K’s eyes for each other, or most of the Maxgrands looking relaxed (Chris’s kids looked a bit confused), or the big natural smiles of the bride and her maids & matron.  

Just SO happy for her. PS: Teri, be a team player, would you, on the missions committee? I’ve seen you perform—you are no shrinking violet in person. Your voice is surprisingly deep and confident.  Do NOT attempt to bully your co-volunteers into the Maxwell frame of mind, mmkay, there, ma’am? 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 6

13 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

The bodice looks like this one 

80F9D0E1-2186-44FC-AD48-E7500AD958ED.png

Yes, I think you're right. This is the dress, probably in the Desert Rose colour:

https://www.azazie.com/products/azazie-hadley-modest-bridesmaid-dresses?color=neptune

It ships within 24 hours so that probably explains why they went for these dresses rather than a $30 dress from Amazon (hi Chelsy!) (miaaaaaooow)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic