IGNORED

Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful

samurai_sarah

Holy cow! I just idly thought of the Maxwells and wondered if there was any good gossip on them, and yeah! Good for Sarah. Girl's out there living her best life. Rebellion for her seems to be wearing pants and marrying a Baptist preacher, but it's all relative. Glad she's making her own choices.

Edited by Quiverless
  • Upvote 5

I logged in after quite some time because I can't believe it but I couldn't be happier for Sarah! She's come a huge way in such a short time. Her sisters as well, but Sarah is the one that shocked me the most. This is all amazing to see.

Edit: also, I +1 on the PMs, if I can get it too please.

Edited by Tenyari
  • Upvote 2

Thank you so much Captain Obvious, Sarah looked so joyful, it was a delight to see.

In one of the photos, Kory had his arm around a Maxwell grandson who was clutching onto his hand. It was definitely an "I like you, and I want to hold your hand" child reaction, which seemed very natural.

The only person who looked  ill at ease was Anna Marie. Perhaps I'm reading too much into one photo, but there was no hint of a smile, and this was a "say cheese" family photo.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

I hope that having the wedding been in Maxwell's town, with smiley Steve and Teri attending, will stop the speculation about Sarah's breaking with them. Sarah has become more mainstream and free (which is great!), but her beliefs are not far from Maxwell's. It's like Anna and Mary, they have fun and wear shorts and it probably makes Steve angry, but broadly speaking, they are keeping the same ideology and are focused in religion. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sooo happy for them. Their lives were more than depressing and they deserve the fulfilling life they are having now. But I think many posters would love a deep rebellion that probably is not going to happen.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

10 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Oh yeah - one more thing about the photos - you can see a (female) photographer in them. So no Terrible Christopher Maxwell Wedding Photos That Could Also Double As Funeral Photos (TM).

Hi @Captain Obvious, I’d love to see the wedding photos if you have the time. After the Duggars, the Maxwells were my first fundie family I was drawn to. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I hope that having the wedding been in Maxwell's town, with smiley Steve and Teri attending, will stop the speculation about Sarah's breaking with them. Sarah has become more mainstream and free (which is great!), but her beliefs are not far from Maxwell's. It's like Anna and Mary, they have fun and wear shorts and it probably makes Steve angry, but broadly speaking, they are keeping the same ideology and are focused in religion. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm sooo happy for them. Their lives were more than depressing and they deserve the fulfilling life they are having now. But I think many posters would love a deep rebellion that probably is not going to happen.

I tend to think what they have done so far is, in their minds, "deep rebellion". Like I imagine the girls probably had to psyche themselves up before stepping out of the house wearing PANTS after a life of Steve. I wouldn't be surprised if his frowning or weeping face popped up in their heads every time they do something they think he would disapprove of. 

Honestly I don't expect ANY of these second generation fundies to become super liberal or atheist or write a tell-all book or anything like that. Maybe one of the younger kids from a big family, or if one figures out they are not straight, or something like that. 

And I know some people think it's leg-humping or whatever, but I'm happy to see baby steps from any of them. Like Jill Dillard - sure, she's still Christian, still pretty conservative apparently... but she's not fundie, she's basically the same as many thousands of other Christians in the US. She's getting therapy, limiting her family size, and for the most part not actively working to hurt other people through politics or Bible Beating. She's sending her kids to public school. That's a big, big step in her family, and her kids are going to have opportunities she never had, be exposed to different people and cultures in a way most fundie kids aren't, and will likely have at least a chance to be decent contributors to society. Sometimes it takes a generation to break a cycle completely. 

I know baby steps aren't enough for some people. They want these fundie kidults to wake up and burn down the patriarchy. I get it. But that isn't realistic for most of them. Wearing jeans may look like a baby step to us, but to Sarah it might have felt like stepping off a cliff. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 3

Thanks to a certain SEVERELY WONDERMUS captain for sharing the bounty!!! It’s gonna take REALLY bad news to wipe this teary smile off my face!  I have snark on Stevovah and Terifying, but nope! Not now, maybe not ever!  Sarah’s got a great life ahead of her.  

Subject change.  Previous conversation somewhere on FJ about not using the “good” things hit home when I found half a dozen white cotton washcloths, grown and made in Alabama, USA. I bought  them to help support the company. And they’re also seriously SO NICE. Guess I’d put them aside when my furkid population was high, rather than use them to clean up … big messes. 

Welp, there  is just one beloved pup now, and I have a good collection of clean-up cloths at the ready. By day’s end, my Red Land Cotton washcloths WILL be on the bathroom rack and at least one will have been USED!  

Thank you, FJ sistren!  Never had been a better Internet-based friend group. ❤️ 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 10

@Captain Obvious Like the rest, I would greatly appreciate the pictures.  I don't post very often, but I've been on FJ for many years and have followed the Maxwells 'religiously' (as in closely).  Thanks!  

Benji was the ring bearer and the flower girl was from his side. Sarah always had a soft spot for Benji. I don’t think Anna Marie isn’t smiling, a lot of people aren’t ready for the picture. 

Having also religiously followed this crew, I think many of the children are in deep rebellion from where they were. I mean, read Anna’s “Am I Going To College?,” or Joseph’s about staying at home until marriage. Or Sarah’s years of insistence that she loves to write and living with family is everything. These were their thoughts, beat into them and psychologically programmed through their pastor/dad, his weekly accountability meetings with his “children,” family Bible time each night and supervised morning “private” Bible time. Steve made sure there were little options to get out. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2

Just looked at the pictures. Thank you so much @Captain Obviousfor taking the time to send them. 
I loved looking at them.  The Maxwells were  my gateway fundies.  I started reading their page before they even had a blog, just the Mom’s and Dad’s Corners.  
I can even remember when they posted that Nathan and Melanie were having their first baby.  If that wasn’t the first blog post, it was close.

It sounds silly, I know, but I feel like I’ve come full circle  with them.  It’s nice to see *all* of them carving out lives of their own, and not just the sons.

And I agreed that Anna Marie didn’t look happy in the family picture, but on looking closer it appears a lot of the others were looking away or looking down, so maybe she just wasn’t ready.  And looking closer she didn’t have a frown, just not the big smile we are used to.  Otherwise she looks healthy and that’s the important thing.

Sarah looks so happy!  It’s great to see.

• Upvote 8

Those of you that have seen the family pics, were the suspected boyfriends from college in any of the pictures or if they were candid (not professional) pictures were the 2 men in the background? 

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much Captain Obvious for sending pictures to all of us!  Anna Marie has the hair that I always wanted, but probably wouldn't if I actually had it.  I love her shoulder length curls.  Now I'm wondering if a certain Mr. Samuel Hock was in attendance.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

Can the photos just be posted here. I know about the rules but I'd love an exception for this. I've been invested in Sarah for over a decade and I NEED to see those photos. If an exception can not be made please Captain obvious may I see the photos too. 

I would love to see the pictures, please @CaptainObvious 

I don't even know how to tag someone, so don't know if this will work.  (Sorry, I'm so lame!)

@Captain Obvious, I feel terrible for asking because PMing must be turning into a second job by now but my curiosity overwhelmed me. This is the FJ wedding of the century and I want to see the pictures, please.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Black Aliss said:

@Captain Obvious, I feel terrible for asking because PMing must be turning into a second job by now but my curiosity overwhelmed me. This is the FJ wedding of the century and I want to see the pictures, please.

This^

As much as I want to see the family photos, I feel like this might just be a nightmare for CO

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

So many people have asked for, and received, the images that they might as well be public to registered FJ users. I'm assuming that the prohibition on posting private images (in part) is to avoid making private images available to the public, particularly since this is a public thread (unlike some snark threads).

Would be it be possible to post the images here and lock down the thread so only registered users can see.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic