IGNORED

Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful

samurai_sarah

Yes, Samuel is Mary’s special friend. Definitely not a Bollinger. Although there seem to be a couple unmarried K Bollinger boys. 

• Upvote 5

Thanks to those who sent photos! Sarah looked lovely and at least 10 years younger than her age. And so much happier and healthier than on her parents blog. 

It looks like Chelsy and she are close now?

Lovely dress and best fitting of all the Maxwell brides.

Lovely bridesmaid dresses too. I like the trend of getting something online for the bridesmaids instead of all the satin gowns that used to be popular. Keeps the focus on the bride and the bridesmaids have a better chance of finding something to suit everyone reasonably well.

Do we know who the flower girl is, please?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

On 8/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, TheJewAmongUs said:

I think Steve acquired 5 daughters in law and he's willing to trade away the 3 daughters at this point. Plus the oldest granddaughters are 14 and 12, good ages to replace Anna and Mary.

Until Sarah showed up in videos at Kory's church camp, did anyone really know where she was living? She could have been at Gigi's at first.

We only have the Titus 2 blog's word that she had a home of her own. Maybe she already knew Kory or was planning to have a year of 'apartment living' before buying anywhere. She could have been sharing, or house-sitting or anything. We will probably find out one day if it is leaked on social media by a friend of the family.  Or if she writes another book about an adult daughter who starts a new life.

• Upvote 13

I think Debbie (Nathan’s youngest daughter) was flower girl. I didn’t recognize her at first, she stayed a lot blonder than his other girls. 

Edited by fundiewatch
  • Upvote 6

Just FYI, Chelsy has a new post up in her blog. She has pictures of Maddy from almost every month over the past year. I think it is a nice post, with information on where she got most of Maddy's clothing.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, BigSandy said:

Just FYI, Chelsy has a new post up in her blog. She has pictures of Maddy from almost every month over the past year. I think it is a nice post, with information on where she got most of Maddy's clothing.

The pics are cute but I admit, I wish it was a post about the wedding.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 8

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The pics are cute but I admit, I wish it was a post about the wedding.

Haha, yes agreed! The only reason I saw this post so quickly is because I've been stalking her blog for wedding pics!

• Upvote 5

Little Maddy is adorable, and she looks so happy! Love her outfits, but some of the headbands seem like they're bigger than she is!😏

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Little Maddy is adorable, and she looks so happy! Love her outfits, but some of the headbands seem like they're bigger than she is![emoji57]

The bigger they are the closer to Jesus
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

On 9/1/2022 at 6:42 PM, Loveday said:

Little Maddy is adorable, and she looks so happy! Love her outfits, but some of the headbands seem like they're bigger than she is!😏

They looked the same when Sarah wore them on the blog years ago. It's Gracious May's signature look.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

They looked the same when Sarah wore them on the blog years ago. It's Gracious May's signature look.

I know, but they still look ginormous on that little baby's head! 😆 A 'signature look' I keep hoping will sort of shrink down to a slightly smaller size before my own granddaughters come along (if I'm lucky enough to have any)! 

• Upvote 2

On 8/30/2022 at 5:19 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Anna and Samuel have a class together. The girl she’s sitting next to must be a close friend. There have been pictures of them together before. 

246F4AC8-305D-4001-80B2-94BD8940EFF8.jpeg

What I find remarkable here is that Anna is wearing pants to class. That's allowed now (I believe last year was the first year that changed in ABC's dress code) but here we have a young woman who grew up wearing ankle-length skirts and jumpers for everything from bus renovations to housecleaning to running to crossfit-styled workouts to climbing mountains, and she's now wearing pants to class when relatively few female students are doing so. Go Anna!

• Upvote 26

2 minutes ago, Bethy said:

What I find remarkable here is that Anna is wearing pants to class. That's allowed now (I believe last year was the first year that changed in ABC's dress code) but here we have a young woman who grew up wearing ankle-length skirts and jumpers for everything from bus renovations to housecleaning to running to crossfit-styled workouts to climbing mountains, and she's now wearing pants to class when relatively few female students are doing so. Go Anna!

I think it shows how much peer pressure and social cues matter to fundies. If most of the students were still wearing skirts to class, I imagine the Maxwell girls would wear skirts more often too. I think since there are so many other female students wearing pants, they feel more comfortable wearing them too. I think fundies pretend like they are happy to be “set apart” from the mainstream world but it’s not true. I think most don’t like standing out. I think that’s why the Maxwells eventually ditched the frumpers. Because the girls probably didn’t like sticking out. When other fundies ditched the frumpers, so did the Maxwells. I think the Maxwell daughters have probably always preferred to blend in instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7

At this point I don't believe Steve will ever mention Sarah's wedding in a Seriously Steve.

You'd think a daughter marrying would be something a father would write about joyfully. But oh no not Stevehovah.  He lives to judge or condemn something/everything and explain why X or Y or Z behavior or thoughts are wrong and why he, Stevehovah, is totally and completely right.

As self-absorbed, self-centered, and off kilter as I think Steve is, even he might see that judging Sarah's wedding and finding it wanting is going too far in a post.

Do I think he's saying this privately?  Why yes.  Yes.  Yes, I do.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 4

20 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

As self-absorbed, self-centered, and off kilter as I think Steve is, even he might see that judging Sarah's wedding and finding it wanting is going too far in a post.

The ground shifted under Steve's feet and there's apparently nothing he can do about it but be a noxious curmudgeon.  I truly hope Teri has some breathing space at last and can tell Steve some fundy version of STFU already.

It's just the two of them and the cat in the house now.  Would Teri would call Steve out to his face for being a churlish pout about his daughter's wedding and marriage? 

Teri now attends and is an ACTIVE member of a A CHURCH that is not the Church of Stevehovah Reversalist. Anything could happen.  What's next? Yoga pants?  I mean if Erica Shupe can end up wearing jeans and SHORTS.

Hope he was a gracious father of the bride at the wedding. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Steve for what ever reason can’t seem to be happy for Sarah. He always seems to praise the boys over everything. I don’t think he has paused his granddaughters. As someone has stated before his favorite grandchild is Joshua because he was the first grandson. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Hope he was a gracious father of the bride at the wedding. 

Based on nothing but a hunch I suspect he was a silent, disapproving FoB at the wedding with a sour facial expression, who managed a fake insincere smile for the photos. Then immediately returned to his Corner of Disapproval.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Steve for what ever reason can’t seem to be happy for Sarah. He always seems to praise the boys over everything. I don’t think he has paused his granddaughters. As someone has stated before his favorite grandchild is Joshua because he was the first grandson. 

He's praised his granddaughters before. The most recent example was Abby's essay, which had a concluding paragraph about how she didn't learn anything. They also took their granddaughters to Hobby Lobby.  There have been other moments of Steve enjoying time with his daughters and granddaughters if you go back and look at the blog.

He doesn't seem happy at the changes his daughters have made, despite the fact they're still  fundie-lite Christians.

6 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

At this point I don't believe Steve will ever mention Sarah's wedding in a Seriously Steve.

You'd think a daughter marrying would be something a father would write about joyfully. But oh no not Stevehovah.  He lives to judge or condemn something/everything and explain why X or Y or Z behavior or thoughts are wrong and why he, Stevehovah, is totally and completely right.

What's amazing about his Seriously, Dad? column is he rarely talks about fatherhood and parenting. For a column that is aimed exclusively at dads, he rarely mentions how to interact with kids. That column is mostly about being a obsessively Christian and shutting out anything that could possibly be a negative influence. There is so much more to parenting. This seems consistent with fundies in general. Many people who write secular columns on parenting mention their experiences as parents more than Steve does. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

I'm happy for Sarah M. and for any person young or old who manages to leave behind any parts of what I consider a cult.  I know their beliefs are still damaging, but at least they've let go of some of the controlling behavior. 

I think Steve is a controlling, obnoxious father, but I'm trying to imagine how gracious I would be if my daughter decided to marry into a super-conservative fundamentalist Christian family - the total opposite of how she was raised.  It would be scary for sure, and I hope that I would be a supportive mom, but it's hard to say.   I'm pretty opinionated about the things these people believe and how they treat women.  Maybe that's a little of what Steve feels?  Even though we still see the fundie in Kory, maybe Steve sees a scary slippery slope that could lead to voting for a Democrat (or something equally scary).  

• Upvote 14
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I'm happy for Sarah M. and for any person young or old who manages to leave behind any parts of what I consider a cult.  I know their beliefs are still damaging, but at least they've let go of some of the controlling behavior. 

I think Steve is a controlling, obnoxious father, but I'm trying to imagine how gracious I would be if my daughter decided to marry into a super-conservative fundamentalist Christian family - the total opposite of how she was raised.  It would be scary for sure, and I hope that I would be a supportive mom, but it's hard to say.   I'm pretty opinionated about the things these people believe and how they treat women.  Maybe that's a little of what Steve feels?  Even though we still see the fundie in Kory, maybe Steve sees a scary slippery slope that could lead to voting for a Democrat (or something equally scary).  

But she didn't exactly marry into the "exact opposite" of how she was raised.  She married a lighter version of what she was raised in. It's probably still Christian Patriarchy, just a lighter form.

Leaving behind how she was raised is a process that is on-going. It will take her a while to be free of her childhood and the influences.

If voting Democrat is the worst thing for Steve, that's really pathetic. Especially in these years.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

But she didn't exactly marry into the "exact opposite" of how she was raised.  She married a lighter version of what she was raised in. It's probably still Christian Patriarchy, just a lighter form.

Leaving behind how she was raised is a process that is on-going. It will take her a while to be free of her childhood and the influences.

If voting Democrat is the worst thing for Steve, that's really pathetic. Especially in these years.

People like Steve only think in black and white; right and wrong. Steve couldn’t grasp “lighter version.” In Steve’s world  it’s his way or the highway, and nothing in between.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 6

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

People like Steve only think in black and white; right and wrong. Steve couldn’t grasp “lighter version.” In Steve’s world  it’s his way or the highway, and nothing in between.

It’s interesting to me because when I was younger, I did have black and white thinking. Especially as a teen. But I think every year I’m alive, I get less and less black and white in my thinking. It’s funny because I just realized one of my good friends probably gets a little annoyed with my gray thinking. I’m always playing devil’s advocate and being pretty blasé about the behavior of others. While she will get up in arms about some topics. I think she probably wants me to get up in arms with her when I’m often just like, “meh, live and let live.” I probably am annoying like that. 

• Upvote 12
  • Bless Your Heart 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic