Jump to content
IGNORED

Lori Alexander 81: It's All the Fault of Women


Recommended Posts

Today Lori (finally) defends her knowing misuse of a prooftext (advice given to young widows in the first century) as a weapon to bludgeon all female members of humanity her own narrow vision for an acceptable lifestyle. She freely admits that she is frequently challenged for this misuse of scripture.

I'm interested. What are her argument in support of wide applicability for the widdow-ly advice? Two words "Oh, really?" and some storytelling. As if "I think it's so obvious that I know what God means in the Bible that I don't need to argue my perspective." -- stands up as a responsible hermeneutic method.

Lori asks if "God is fine with" young women becoming post-secondary students. My answer: Yes, Lori, God is "fine with" that.

In spite of the fact that it costs money to go (it's an investment). In spite of the fact that professors may be members of any or no faith (it doesn't stop them from teaching well). In spite of the fact that many young people chose to be sexually active, and to not abstain from alcohol or drugs (just because some people do it, doesn't mean everybody is required to do it). In spite of the fact that it often leads to entering the workforce (gasp) and exchanging some of your time and skills for cold hard cash (which is a free choice, and not -usually- a form of bondage). In spite of all that, yes, I think God is "fine with" education for women.

With no logic behind it, Lori suggests that the above choices and educational or workplace environment would recreate the problems being experienced by the target audience of Paul's correspondence. Never mind that their problem was that the church was being taken over by heretics spreading a form of anti-gospel that Paul felt strongly needed to be stopped.

Abruptly we are on a new topic: "Did we know" that God uses childbearing to make us more like Christ? 

Well, no, Lori, I didn't know that. In which chapter of the gospels did Jesus have a baby? (Of course Jesus 'birthed' a the whole church, theologically speaking, but I don't think that's what Lori means.) 

In support of this absurd assertion she creates a proof text out of one of those tricky verses that scholars argue about. What the text really means is (either) that Christian women can be sure of their physical safety during childbirth because Jesus will look after their wellbeing, and they don't need to fear pregnancy as many women of the day would have... (or) that women's salvation (and everybody else's too) was accomplished through the bearing of a child: the bearing of the Christ child by the virgin Mary. It never ever means that the act of giving birth increases one's personal holiness. That doesn't work as a potential understanding of "Women shall be saved through childbirth" at any level.

Thus believing her point is proven, Lori confidently restates her narrow and repetitive opinion about "God's will" (Lori's will) for women.

As an afterthought Lori wants to take some metaphors from Proverbs, mix them up, and pretend they mean that women should physically never stray far from their houses.

In Proverbs there is comparison between two fictional women who represent two approaches to life. "Lady wisdom" is the right path, and "Lady folly" is going to be a problem if you follow "her". Lady folly is portrayed actively, as a temptress, a sex worker, actively luring people into harmful situations. This metaphor represents the way foolish choices often seem to actively attract our attention and mislead us. But since this metaphorical sex worker's feet "do not abide in her house" -- to Lori that means if a woman goes to a workplace or a school daily, she herself must be the next-best thing to a sex worker. (No mention of what it means if she does too many errands, volunteers her time regularly, has too many social engagements, or goes on vacation a lot.)

While the Christian sexual ethic does not permit believers to become sex workers (except, possibly, in cases of great extremity, for example maybe if it becomes necessary for survival) none of Lori's references to "whores" (metaphorical or otherwise) are the slightest bit respectful or compassionate.

And, of course, Lori concludes with her favorite argument in favour of male supremacy: Men 'provide and protect' due to an abundance of upper body strength. Women are equipped with the body parts for gestation and lactating, therefore having offspring is mandatory and intended to consume our whole lifespan.

Never disappointing, are you Lori? What a horrific piece of writing!

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m wondering whether she has agoraphobia, and that its severity is increasing. In my mother, agoraphobia manifested itself not in fear of leaving the house, but in insistence that her way was always the right way. We realized that she preferred to be home because that’s where she could control everything that went on.

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Pammy Lori didn’t invent the childbirth/salvation nonsense. A lot of Christian women push that one. Even the smug darling of progressive Christianity, Sarah Bessey, goes on and on in a book and used to on her blog that women only really understand God, creation and salvation through motherhood and childbirth. Being progressive she sometimes pauses to say that’s how she does but ymmv. But the disclaimer is unconvincing when she repeats it so often. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

@Pammy Lori didn’t invent the childbirth/salvation nonsense. A lot of Christian women push that one. Even the smug darling of progressive Christianity, Sarah Bessey, goes on and on in a book and used to on her blog that women only really understand God, creation and salvation through motherhood and childbirth. Being progressive she sometimes pauses to say that’s how she does but ymmv. But the disclaimer is unconvincing when she repeats it so often. 

I guess, in the sense that any life lived as a Christian, and therefore any significant experiences in that life, could reasonably be said to have made that individual more holy. It's fair to say that motherhood is a significant life experience that could work that way: for the people who experience it.

To me it's different to say that "women only really understand" this way (SB) or that it's the only way that women can or should experience their spiritual lives (LA). That's what makes it offensive. And pulling in the proof text... I don't think Sarah Bessey does that.

Sarah Bessey should tell her own story better, and stop trying to tell every woman's story. Lori Alexander should go jump in a lake (and stop writing altogether)!

  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pammy said:

I guess, in the sense that any life lived as a Christian, and therefore any significant experiences in that life, could reasonably be said to have made that individual more holy. It's fair to say that motherhood is a significant life experience that could work that way: for the people who experience it.

To me it's different to say that "women only really understand" this way (SB) or that it's the only way that women can or should experience their spiritual lives (LA). That's what makes it offensive. And pulling in the proof text... I don't think Sarah Bessey does that.

Sarah Bessey should tell her own story better, and stop trying to tell every woman's story. Lori Alexander should go jump in a lake (and stop writing altogether)!

Sarah is too smug to understand that her story is not everyone’s. 
 

BTW, I taught her husband my first year of teaching at crazy Christian school. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, louisa05 said:

BTW, I taught her husband my first year of teaching at crazy Christian school. 

Stories please,, if you think you can

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 2:36 PM, Pammy said:

Men 'provide and protect' due to an abundance of upper body strength.

Which is a reference to her recent post on IG or somewhere about how when she was flying home alone from her extended not vacation, she has no upper body strength to lift her carry on luggage to the overhead bin and always has to ask a manly man. Then she said on this particular trip, there were no manly men available so she had to asked a woman if she had any UPPPER BODY strength to which the random woman replied, "NO" but together they managed to get the suitcase lifted.   Then she praised men and their upper body strength. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today Lazy Lori tells us that teaching and nursing are bad, bad, very bad careers for women (mothers) as we can't handle the stress.  As Lazy Lori was absolutely and utterly exhausted mentally, physically, etc. at the end of her 12-hour teaching day (yeah right) with nothing left to give her family and Ken -- and she missed her baby so so so so much (uh-huh) -- she decided to quit and stay home as God intended for her.

I wonder if that was before or after she decided to sabotage her BC and trick Ken into having a 2nd child?

Her leghumper fangirls all agree and trot out their own teaching/ nursing horror stories.  BEC here as I find it hard, given the spelling/ grammar/ syntax/ lack of coherence in their writing, to believe they graduated from SOTDRT much less went to college.

Someone does ask who will fill the teaching/ nursing jobs as they don't attract many men.  Lazy Lori breezily says not to worry, Women homeschooling as they are command by Lori God will deal with the teacher shortage, and if you feed your family healthy food no one will need nurses.

The leghumpers tell horror stories of low pay as teachers/ nurses. A teacher who figured out that after child care she earned $3/hour.  A labor/ delivery nurse who earned $25/ hr.

Oh - and not even single women should be teachers/ nurses as no one is called to singleness to dedicate her life to a teaching/ nursing/ other career.  We should all be 1) doing godly work while waiting for Prince Charming to magically appear from nowhere, 2) our only "career" option is to marry and have all the bay-beez,  3) women cannot handle work stress because God didn't design us that way,  and of course 4) Lazy Lori's God's commanded ways are perfect.

 

  • Eyeroll 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its funny...all this ranting about women not having jobs, but getting on the speculation bus, I have to wonder why Lori has been feeding/watching her grandchildren so much lately.  Interesting tidbit-- her son in law has a new small orthodontics practice in SoCal and on the business page it lists daughter Cassi as the office manager. It does say she mostly works from home, but you have to wonder, how can you manage an office ( I work in healthcare and an officer manager has a million task...it's not just ordering printer paper from Staples.) with five small children, even from home?   I bet she works more in the office than they want to let on...and that is why Lori is always babysitting. Plus the entire rest of the staff are women

AND you see son Steven's public practice page. His partner is a woman and his entire staff if comprised of women.  So in Lori's world women are commanded not to work, but the Alexander's seem to have no issue making their living off the labors of women. And he daughter works!  And Alyssa has mentioned starting up a new nutritional counseling business for moms. 

Such a hypocrite, Lori. 

Edited by SongRed7
  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even teachers who teach full time don't spend 12 hours a day "teaching". Yeah, there's lessons to plan, assignments to grade, meetings to attend, but I don't think it adds up to 12 hours a day. For me, since I teach tech intensive classes, yeah, there's extra time outside the classroom I spend on my classes, and grading is a bitch, but I'm at home! There are days I get as far as the couch when I get home but that usually has more to do with the kids and their energy. 

The nurses I know who work 12 hour shifts usually work 3 days a week. A good friend of mine did ICU nursing 7p-7a M, T & W and managed to have plenty of time for her kids. Not all nurses work 12 hour shifts anyway...my stepdaughter works in clinic and works 7:30-4. 

Lori, not everyone wants to sit their ass home and have kids. Then, what do you do when the kids are grown and gone? What about if your spouse dies? If I didn't have my teaching job and freelance jobs, I'd lose my shit, not to mention I'd be living in a tent by the freeway

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So much of Lori’s posts are a result of the aggression she feels at the circumstances in her life at the moment.  She probably had to come back early from her vacation to take care of the grandkids.  

  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Even teachers who teach full time don't spend 12 hours a day "teaching". Yeah, there's lessons to plan, assignments to grade, meetings to attend, but I don't think it adds up to 12 hours a day. For me, since I teach tech intensive classes, yeah, there's extra time outside the classroom I spend on my classes, and grading is a bitch, but I'm at home! There are days I get as far as the couch when I get home but that usually has more to do with the kids and their energy. 

The nurses I know who work 12 hour shifts usually work 3 days a week. A good friend of mine did ICU nursing 7p-7a M, T & W and managed to have plenty of time for her kids. Not all nurses work 12 hour shifts anyway...my stepdaughter works in clinic and works 7:30-4. 

Lori, not everyone wants to sit their ass home and have kids. Then, what do you do when the kids are grown and gone? What about if your spouse dies? If I didn't have my teaching job and freelance jobs, I'd lose my shit, not to mention I'd be living in a tent by the freeway

I coached competitive speech, directed competitive one act and full length plays once a year and assisted with musicals. I also coached academic decathlon for a few years. Every hs teacher at my second school was also require to assist with sports in some capacity so I did the scoreboard at home volleyball games for five years. 
I regularly had 16 hour days and 8-12 hour Saturdays. And that doesn’t count time grading at home. I taught English, too, which has the heaviest grading load. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I don’t want to give ANY credence to Lori, but as a middle school ELA teacher I definitely work a 12 hour day usually once a week. If you have to be in your classroom from 7:30-3:30, then you host an after school club program until 5, then spend 2 hours grading/planning for whatever community event the school is hosting next (because during the day your prep times are usually used up lesson planning, meetings, paperwork, & student help) … there ya go. And doesn’t include commute. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

Its funny...all this ranting about women not having jobs, but getting on the speculation bus, I have to wonder why Lori has been feeding/watching her grandchildren so much lately.  Interesting tidbit-- her son in law has a new small orthodontics practice in SoCal and on the business page it lists daughter Cassi as the office manager. It does say she mostly works from home, but you have to wonder, how can you manage an office ( I work in healthcare and an officer manager has a million task...it's not just ordering printer paper from Staples.) with five small children, even from home?   I bet she works more in the office than they want to let on...and that is why Lori is always babysitting. Plus the entire rest of the staff are women

AND you see son Steven's public practice page. His partner is a woman and his entire staff if comprised of women.  So in Lori's world women are commanded not to work, but the Alexander's seem to have no issue making their living off the labors of women. And he daughter works!  And Alyssa has mentioned starting up a new nutritional counseling business for moms. 

Such a hypocrite, Lori. 

Rules for thee but not for me- The Alexander Motto

  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Then, what do you do when the kids are grown and gone? What about if your spouse dies? I

Oh I know!  She told me, before she blocked me.  If your spouse dies, you are supposed to trot your grieving self down to the church and glom onto the first single man that will take you!    That's your only choice.    And until you get one landed properly, the church is going to pay all your bills forever.  

  • Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2022 at 2:36 PM, Pammy said:

Women are equipped with the body parts for gestation and lactating, therefore having offspring is mandatory and intended to consume our whole lifespan.

An whole lifespan? What happens when women no longer gestate or are infertile?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I remember correctly Lori taught Elem school -- 1st or 2nd grade. Are there 12-hour days in primary grades?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

If I remember correctly Lori taught Elem school -- 1st or 2nd grade. Are there 12-hour days in primary grades?

New teachers have that no matter what. Just learning how to manage the workload. Learning how to let stuff go. Having everything you teach be new to you so not the advantage of doing what you did last year. Learning the tech part—and every school has different grade programs, data programs, etc… (That part wouldn’t have been an issue in her time, but she would have been doing grades and report cards by hand .  ) She didn’t teach long enough to get to the point where she would have everything mastered. And in primary keeping the room organized is a bigger job. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as I hate giving traffic to a Lori thread, I must share this FB as I just got: 

CBD147C4-C559-4E23-BCD4-CBA72E7553D1.jpeg

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Hane said:

As much as I hate giving traffic to a Lori thread, I must share this FB as I just got: 

CBD147C4-C559-4E23-BCD4-CBA72E7553D1.jpeg

I'm not typically into murder mysteries, I'm more of a medieval historical reader myself, but I think I'm going to make an exception for this one! :laughing-rolling:

Edited by Loveday
Commas are important.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I buy my coffee online from a place there: Door County Coffee. It’s hard to find good quality decaf and theirs is great. Reasonable prices. 
 

But it makes me think of Lori. 🤮

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2022 at 9:58 AM, louisa05 said:

I buy my coffee online from a place there: Door County Coffee. It’s hard to find good quality decaf and theirs is great. Reasonable prices. 
 

But it makes me think of Lori. 🤮

Heading right over to check it out. You are so right about decaf coffee and I’ve been off all caffeine for 35 years. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looney Lori's new "You Tuber" rambles on about taking her children, and now grandchildren, to AWANA and dropping them off.  Then she rambles about how great AWANA is for children. Of course she mentions she took her children to AWANA every week for all the years she was so so so so sick. She finally get to the "point" that she was listening to Elizabeth Eliot while driving around.

Eliot was doing a Q&A on modesty and extols that women should dress like women -- be feminine. Then Lori gets to her new command for women:  Eliot says women should never, ever, never, never, ever wear bathing suits, or go to the beach or public pools, never go swimming. Bathing suits are completely immodest. 

Looney Lori completely agrees -- because women are out there flaunting it in thong bathing suits. They look naked when face down on a towel.  Yes men will look and lust, but it's the jezebels' fault because they are a stumbling block.

But Looney Lori solved this "problem" and bought a new suit for Door Co -- essentially a knee length black dress.

And you know what!!!???!!!

Everyone who saw her in it loved it, and thought is was so cute and so adorable and said all women should wear suits like that, and Ken though she looked pretty.  There is an aside mention of the "young woman (who's 30) who was staying with them". (Inquiring minds want to know more about this)

So anyway all you jezebels out there -- be modest everywhere, all the time. Cover up your lady parts. Only you husband can see your naked body.  Lori says show it to him often as normal masculine men like to see their naked wives.

Adding --  I've never see anyone as obsessed with thongs and naked butts as Lori.

  • I Agree 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m convinced that her calls for women to be modest around water stem from her jealousy over Ken’s possibly wandering eye.  She’ll place the blame on jezebels instead of Ken.

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Fallgirl30 said:

I’m convinced that her calls for women to be modest around water stem from her jealousy over Ken’s possibly wandering eye.  She’ll place the blame on jezebels instead of Ken.

I agree that that's a really likely motivation for Lori.

It's also a possibility that Lori herself might not be quite as far towards 100% heterosexual as she imagines herself to be. It could be that women's attractive figures and exposed skin feel very significant to Lori in a way that she doesn't really understand. Instead she reads her own, 'I noticed that!' reaction as an indication that everybody reacts strongly to seeing those things, and therefore everybody should understand that the exposure is too showy for the public comfort of average observers.

  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.