IGNORED

Erin & Chad 9: The Paine of it All

samurai_sarah

On 5/1/2022 at 10:07 AM, neuroticcat said:

Don’t want I n on the education debate, but here in Seattle area they are so desperate for public school teachers, they are giving jobs to students enrolled in teaching programs. 

They teach during the day and take some classes at night/weekends. I don’t know how they’ll manage that as teachers usually have grading and lesson prep in the evenings but it’s pretty dire.

Great point mahalo! I know in preschools/ECE (early childhood education) if you're enrolled in ECE classes, often associates or certificate level at CC, you can teach just not as a lead teacher, at least in UT and CO and have heard about situations similar to the one you're describing especially post COVID.

So many teachers are just fed up with getting paid so little they qualify for welfare in some places, having to literally risk their lives because of political BS impeding health protection like mask mandates and them being used as the scapegoats for everything wrong with education and being harassed nonstop by parents and admins alike. Now pau, they're done with this shit and now there's an even bigger need for teachers than before.

For K-12 there's a lot of "teaching prior to earning a full education bachelors or certificate " but through programs like what you mentioned or what I was originally enrolled in before I left my dream of high school science for Head Start preschoolers.

The key is you're still being formally educated and its a requirement to continue teaching.  If you drop out of school or the training program you dont get to keep teaching. The post@Jackie3 wrote says formal education is NOT required, like one of the SOTDRT Duggar or Rodlets could walk into a school and apply for a teaching job and be in charge of a classroom. That's so far from the case and it's incredibly detrimental to the already shitty stereotypes against educators. It's not just fundies who think teaching isn't a profession (unless a fundie SAHM gets to include it in the list of "professions" a SAHM does concurrently along with physician, chaplain, chef, etc.) But a lot of extremists on both sides, right and left.

Homeschool your own children if you want, if you're providing them a qualified education, aren't neglecting them and making sure to take care of their mental, physical and emotional health,  you do you. But that doesn't mean teachers in the classroom, public and private, aren't formally trained professionals. Period.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

On 4/23/2022 at 4:37 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

It was in great shape for $1,600. Maybe they had to haggle. I probably would have jest left the wood paneling because it was in such good shape. It wasn’t stained or warped. It was looking really good. 

It’s not just about the condition it’s in. It has to fit in with her decor.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, zee_four said:

The key is you're still being formally educated and its a requirement to continue teaching.  If you drop out of school or the training program you dont get to keep teaching. The post@Jackie3 wrote says formal education is NOT required, like one of the SOTDRT Duggar or Rodlets could walk into a school and apply for a teaching job and be in charge of a classroom. That's so far from the case and it's incredibly detrimental to the already shitty stereotypes against educators. It's not just fundies who think teaching isn't a profession (unless a fundie SAHM gets to include it in the list of "professions" a SAHM does concurrently along with physician, chaplain, chef, etc.) But a lot of extremists on both sides, right and left.

In some states they've reduced the qualification for subbing to having a HS diploma and passing a background check. In my case, I teach at a charter school and an adult vocational ed school. The qualifications I needed (and have) are formal education (not necessarily a BS), industry experience and previous teaching experience (I wrote and presented a bunch of training in my former professional life). However, I AM educated in my field. I am also educated in general, mostly self-taught, but able to have some expertise in a variety of subjects. I am tutoring one of my students in math because he likes the way I explain things. I am going to take the certification test to teach math this summer. Teaching ain't easy. It requires a lot of thinking on your feet, like if a student doesn't understand one explanation, you have to think quickly of another way. I am proud to say that 5 out of my 8 students passed the cert exam on their first try. 3 did not and I mostly know why...it had a lot to do with messing around in class instead of listening to me. So, today and tomorrow, I will review what they missed and I'm sure they'll be paying attention instead of goofing off. 

So, yes I am a teacher. Yes I am educated. Yes I've spent years learning my craft and now teaching the next generation. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

7 hours ago, feministxtian said:

In some states they've reduced the qualification for subbing to having a HS diploma and passing a background check. In my case, I teach at a charter school and an adult vocational ed school. The qualifications I needed (and have) are formal education (not necessarily a BS), industry experience and previous teaching experience (I wrote and presented a bunch of training in my former professional life). However, I AM educated in my field. I am also educated in general, mostly self-taught, but able to have some expertise in a variety of subjects. I am tutoring one of my students in math because he likes the way I explain things. I am going to take the certification test to teach math this summer. Teaching ain't easy. It requires a lot of thinking on your feet, like if a student doesn't understand one explanation, you have to think quickly of another way. I am proud to say that 5 out of my 8 students passed the cert exam on their first try. 3 did not and I mostly know why...it had a lot to do with messing around in class instead of listening to me. So, today and tomorrow, I will review what they missed and I'm sure they'll be paying attention instead of goofing off. 

So, yes I am a teacher. Yes I am educated. Yes I've spent years learning my craft and now teaching the next generation. 

In CO the 1 year sub license only requires a high school diploma, however every district I worked in didn't take one year licenses. You needed the three or five which required at least a bachelors and in the highest rated 5 year degree, required an education background including having formerly held a regular teaching license. Cherry Creek, Douglas County, JeffCo, Eagle County, Summit County and Denver Public Schools all only accept 3 and 5 year substitute licenses. I remember when I had my 5 year license at one point, wondering why they even gave the 1 year license. No one takes it, which is good because I believe in having educated teachers. Sure some subs might just play a movie or proctor a quiz or whatever lesson plan is set out, but I first started teaching doing various kong term sub assignments, like a week uo until a full semester. I loved that because it gave me a chance to get better at teaching on my own but still have help and someone else making sure the curriculum covered everything and all that 

Beyond that, yes sis!!! Teachers are so disrespected these days,  not solely just in the US but especially so here. Its so frustrating. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, zee_four said:

I Sure some subs might just play a movie or proctor a quiz or whatever lesson plan is set out, but I first started teaching doing various kong term sub assignments, like a week uo until a full semester. 

Some SUBS might play a movie? From what I’ve seen, it is the teachers playing the movies (the subs play on their phones).

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 3
  • Downvote 10
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Some SUBS might play a movie? From what I’ve seen, it is the teachers playing the movies (the subs play on their phones).

God you're so full of shit. Do you actually KNOW what goes on in school or are you of the opinion we either ignore or "indoctrinate" your little darlings? Look, if I could convince my students to sit down and pay attention on a regular basis, that would be a BIG WIN. I don't have time to either ignore or indoctrinate. 8 non-NT students with gifted to genius IQs will get into trouble if ignored, and there ain't no indoctrinating them...they ask very inciteful questions and make me think. 

Fuck ALL the way off. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

When I worked as a sub, the teachers always left lesson plans. Usually it didn’t involve a lot of subject matter teaching, but it usually involved leading or facilitating. When I did long term sub jobs, it was full on teaching, including lesson planning.

Are you actually observing this in classrooms?

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

25 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

When I worked as a sub, the teachers always left lesson plans. Usually it didn’t involve a lot of subject matter teaching, but it usually involved leading or facilitating. When I did long term sub jobs, it was full on teaching, including lesson planning.

No. This particular poster likes to stir shit up. I would just ignore. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 4

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

No. This particular poster likes to stir shit up. I would just ignore. 

and I lost my shit again. So fucking tired of idiots who claim teachers don't do anything. Since I'm a part-timer and teaching only 1 class, I get 280 minutes a week of instructional time with my students per week. However, that can translate to another 10+ hours of lesson plans, grading, etc. I"m fucking sick of it. Come teach an engineering class to 8 young men with a rainbow of neuro-psychological disorders including ADHD, ASD, depression, and have them learn enough to pass their cert tests with flying colors. Yes, my students know I love them. They know that I'll have their backs. The young man with the depression issues knows that I'll be there any time he needs an ear or a shoulder. One of my kids will only set tutoring appointments with me no matter the subject because "you explain things in ways I understand". Its a heavy job with tons of responsibility. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 16

15 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

From what YOU have seen?

I had no idea you're a K-12 student.

Oh wait, no you're just another adult who thinks they know so much about education and teaching when they have no clue whatsoever.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

Apropos of nothing, I’ve really gotten a lot out of the Ignore User function here on FJ. Just click the “…More” icon at the bottom right of the screen, then select Account > Ignored Users, and then type in the username of anyone whose posts you wish not to see. It’s saved me a lot of needless aggravation from people whose primary goal in posting seems to be to drain others of their energy. 

Edited by Dominionatrix
Typo
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

Apropos of nothing, I’ve really gotten a lot out of the Ignore User function here on FJ. Just click the “…More” icon at the bottom right of the screen, then select Account > Ignored Users, and then type in the username of anyone whose posts you wish not to see. It’s saved me a lot of needless aggravation from people whose primary goal in posting seems to be to drain others of their energy. 

Completely agree. And then you can still see their posts if you want, they're just automatically collapsed. This problem poster in particular was making FJ less enjoyable for me until I made use of the ignore option. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

On 5/5/2022 at 11:01 AM, JDuggs said:

Yes, I am! I have a kid in a highly-rated high school. Why else would I say this, if I hadn't observed it first hand?

To be fair, it's only since the pandemic. My oldest attended the same HS pre-pandemic, and things were much better. Nowadays, though, though the teachers are still pulling their full salary, a lot of them are not doing the work. Not everyone though. The good teachers are still working away as they always did, and I admire and appreciate them.

The subs, however, do nothing at all. It's basically a free period. If the district can't attract good subs, they should pay more, but there seems to be a reluctance to do so. Which is odd, because they have plenty of covid money.

• Fuck You 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Eyeroll 4

On 5/5/2022 at 11:55 PM, lumpentheologie said:

Completely agree. And then you can still see their posts if you want, they're just automatically collapsed. This problem poster in particular was making FJ less enjoyable for me until I made use of the ignore option. 

Same here!

Anyways, I wonder if Chad and Erin are making a profit yet off their new store. They have such a narrower audience than BSB does.

Edited by indianabones
Pushed post too early then realized I am unable to form sentences today.
  • Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Yes, I am! I have a kid in a highly-rated high school. Why else would I say this, if I hadn't observed it first hand?

I guess every school is different, but during my kids’ high school and middle school years, I never spent a minute observing their classrooms in person. And during the six years I was teaching and subbing, I never had a parent come in to observe during class. I didn’t think it was very common, but your experience is obviously different.

I never subbed in a high school, but it would seem very difficult for a sub to step in and teach an academic subject that they are not educated in. And the sub is supposed to follow the plans left by the teacher. There’s no way I would feel comfortable teaching a high school science class for example. And I could see that the teacher would want to have the control over the course to actually know how the content was taught and how well the students were understanding it. How could a sub step into an English class and lead a discussion on a novel she’s never read?

• Upvote 3

Oh wait...I DID show a movie. It was on engineering disasters. They talked about 3 Mile Island and other nuke disasters. I was a nuke piping designer...lots of interesting questions from my kids. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I guess every school is different, but during my kids’ high school and middle school years, I never spent a minute observing their classrooms in person. And during the six years I was teaching and subbing, I never had a parent come in to observe during class. I didn’t think it was very common, but your experience is obviously different.

I never subbed in a high school, but it would seem very difficult for a sub to step in and teach an academic subject that they are not educated in. And the sub is supposed to follow the plans left by the teacher. There’s no way I would feel comfortable teaching a high school science class for example. And I could see that the teacher would want to have the control over the course to actually know how the content was taught and how well the students were understanding it. How could a sub step into an English class and lead a discussion on a novel she’s never read?

This was why in high school after grade 10, we never had subs. In the last three (Ontario in the 90s when they had grade 13 years of high school, if a teacher was absent you just had a spare period. The first two years there was a more standard curriculum (everyone took all the same classes in grade 9 for example) but later years it just gets too varied. 

My elementary age children have had long-term subs a few times in the last couple of years and they have all been great and very dedicated. 

• Upvote 5

On 5/7/2022 at 8:13 AM, Jackie3 said:

To be fair, it's only since the pandemic. My oldest attended the same HS pre-pandemic, and things were much better. Nowadays, though, though the teachers are still pulling their full salary, a lot of them are not doing the work. Not everyone though. The good teachers are still working away as they always did, and I admire and appreciate them.

The subs, however, do nothing at all. It's basically a free period. If the district can't attract good subs, they should pay more, but there seems to be a reluctance to do so. Which is odd, because they have plenty of covid money.

How do you know their financial situation? How do you know what every teacher is doing in school everyday? How can you not understand that one anecdotal experience about one person, even if it were true, doesn't apply wholesale to the hundreds of thousands if not more, of other teachers??

The only thing my mom knew about my classes in high school was the 30 min once a year Parent Teacher Night. I sometimes talked about school, teachers I liked, things like that, she knew my track coach from track meets. If I bitched about a teacher or a class, she definitely knew whatever I said was probably biased and there likely was another side to the story as well. But she never pushed for me to talk about my classes and teachers because she didn't really care. She wanted me to get a good education and be happy and do well, for better or worse my mum's heart is always in the right place and I love her, but the day to day stuff? As long as I tried, was respectful to my classmates and more importantly my teachers and worked hard that's all that mattered. But yeah she did not have first hand experience with my teachers because she's an adult and I was in high school. 

If you're so concerned and your "high quality " district just hires whoever, why don't you apply since you seem to know better than the professionals?

Mahalo to the above comments about restricting what you can view on FJ, I'll check that out for sure.

Edited by zee_four
Typo!queen strikes again
  • Upvote 8

So Erin is taking Carson to Lawson's wedding but none of his sisters? That's what I got from her IG story. Is he in the wedding or just the easiest to travel with?

• Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

So Erin is taking Carson to Lawson's wedding but none of his sisters? That's what I got from her IG story. Is he in the wedding or just the easiest to travel with?

He is in the wedding so makes sense to bring only him. She maybe cant afford plane tickets for all the kids?

• Upvote 10

Carson is in the wedding. She also brought the baby. Travelling with an (almost) 7 year old and a baby is much easier and cheaper than travelling with 5 kids. Plus Carson's birthday is the 14th.

• Upvote 8

On 5/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, Jackie3 said:

So, one "highly rated school" vs every damn high school in the country? Yes, teachers occasionally show movies, YouTube videos, and other electronic media. Pretty much every teacher I know has shown some sort of video. 

How can you paint ALL high schools with the same brush you paint your "highly rated school" with? I'd like to invite you to my school. See teachers going the extra mile, see students actively engaged in learning and encouraged to take leadership roles. I will tell you that planning classes for next year is going to be a just about full time job for me this summer. I have to CREATE, from scratch, 3 classes. Know what else? I'll be doing it for free. I'm still on a part-time contract. So...bitch all you care to bitch but of all the teachers I know, family and friends and myself, the 6 or 7 hours a day (or less) we spend teaching results in another few hours at home. I'm also teaching a class this summer, adults this time. Want my job? I dare you to do a better job than I do. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, feministxtian said:

So, one "highly rated school" vs every damn high school in the country? Yes, teachers occasionally show movies, YouTube videos, and other electronic media. Pretty much every teacher I know has shown some sort of video. 

How can you paint ALL high schools with the same brush you paint your "highly rated school" with? I'd like to invite you to my school. See teachers going the extra mile, see students actively engaged in learning and encouraged to take leadership roles. I will tell you that planning classes for next year is going to be a just about full time job for me this summer. I have to CREATE, from scratch, 3 classes. Know what else? I'll be doing it for free. I'm still on a part-time contract. So...bitch all you care to bitch but of all the teachers I know, family and friends and myself, the 6 or 7 hours a day (or less) we spend teaching results in another few hours at home. I'm also teaching a class this summer, adults this time. Want my job? I dare you to do a better job than I do. 

That poster is a troll…

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

4 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

That poster is a troll…

She's as much of a troll as many of the fundies we follow -she's firm in her own chosen kool-aid. I finally muted her only after this thread, because occasionally prior she had made salient points. This thread... I just can't.

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic