IGNORED

Erin & Chad 9: The Paine of it All

samurai_sarah

The Bates are a handful, E+C definitely needed more space for their family, an opportunity presented itself in Florida, and the (presumed) boutique fallout. I think it might be one of those "the stars aligned" scenarios, where a combination of several factors made this a very desirable option for them. From a non-fundie perspective, I don't think the in-law Paines are necessarily better than the Bates, in fact, because of IBLP and Rapist Tim, they might be competing with the Bates in the awfulness contest. However, it's possible that, over time, Erin may have gotten closer to her in-laws rather than her family of origin.

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 12

It wasn't just the blog where it looked like Erin was the favorite, it was the show, too. She was clearly getting more attention than others in the family and doing things to get that attention. 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

It wasn't just the blog where it looked like Erin was the favorite, it was the show, too. She was clearly getting more attention than others in the family and doing things to get that attention. 

Yes, you can definitely tell the truth of the matter from a reality tv show. 

11 hours ago, llucie said:

Well yes, but being considered the most pius, the best etc can be a curse too. And practicing piano all the time is not exactly something most kids would love, even if they are good at it. We dont know how Erin felt about that and how that afected her relationship with her parents. She doesnt seem that close to them at the moment.

Many kids who are the "favorite" hate it, it's a lot of pressure and you get resentment from the other siblings. Anyhow, I don't think a 60 segment of Erin playing piano, and Kelly saying she's proud of her, necessarily means she was a favored child. I think that Zach, Callie, Jeb and Jed, and Jackson were also favored, and who knows who else?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Listen, maybe Kelly is super busy helping to take care of Carlin (I have no idea if she's there or not) but it seems really strange Kelly has not made one mention of Erin's move yet online. There really has been a huge distancing from Erin.  

• I Agree 1

35 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Listen, maybe Kelly is super busy helping to take care of Carlin (I have no idea if she's there or not) but it seems really strange Kelly has not made one mention of Erin's move yet online. There really has been a huge distancing from Erin.  

Erin hasn't posted it on Instagram though, only on YouTube, she hasn't even shared the link on Instagram. Kelly doesn't make announcements for her kids, she shares their content, so she is not going to say anything until Erin does. 

• Upvote 8

Erin and Chad must be in FL currently because Danny Paine posted a pic of some Paines with Erin’s kids and it was tagged in Cape San Blas, FL. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

I have to admit I am sort of excited to see how this next chapter will unfold for C+E.  I like them.  They seem like genuine people who actually enjoy their kids.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Do we know where in Florida they are moving? How close to Alyssa will they be? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Do we know where in Florida they are moving? How close to Alyssa will they be? 

It appears they will be in Brooksville, about 50 minute drive from Alyssa. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I have to admit I am sort of excited to see how this next chapter will unfold for C+E.  I like them.  They seem like genuine people who actually enjoy their kids.

They do seem to enjoy their kids, and I like how they let them be kids. The girls aren't dressed to the nines all the time. They show clips of them getting dirty. Their faces are relaxed and happy, not stressed. 

Chad just seems like the most sincere, nicest guy who tries to do the right thing. What a shame ever other word he says is something like "God led me to. . . " or "God's path for us. . ."

Erin, OTOH, in intolerably smug. Determined to put on a perfect picture. Yuck. She's never had an argument with Chad? Really? And she can't remember one bad thing that happened in that house? How about her frequent surgeries and illness?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

They do seem to enjoy their kids, and I like how they let them be kids. The girls aren't dressed to the nines all the time. They show clips of them getting dirty. Their faces are relaxed and happy, not stressed. 

Chad just seems like the most sincere, nicest guy who tries to do the right thing. What a shame ever other word he says is something like "God led me to. . . " or "God's path for us. . ."

Erin, OTOH, in intolerably smug. Determined to put on a perfect picture. Yuck. She's never had an argument with Chad? Really? And she can't remember one bad thing that happened in that house? How about her frequent surgeries and illness?

It must be exhausting to be Erin having to hold up that fake amount of perfection all of the time. 

What is Brooksville like? Is it very conservative? Lots of other Fundie families running around? 

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 1

For people who do not really have jobs, as in they do not work for companies that might require them to relocate for those purposes, so many of these people sure do make lots of interstate moves. (Brandon/Michaela; Jinger/Jeremy; Erin/Chad; Wallers; Bonts/Bowers/Helferichs)

ETA- JRod the biggest mover of all-

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

It must be exhausting to be Erin having to hold up that fake amount of perfection all of the time. 

What is Brooksville like? Is it very conservative? Lots of other Fundie families running around? 

I've been to a wedding in that area on a horse farm, it felt more like being in Georgia in the deep south than Florida in an area like Tampa - the Paines can easily spend more time on farms than beaches, or else rivers more than ocean. Erin could definitely have her desire for land and animals. Similarly quiet like where they are in Tennessee, depending how far into the rural area they go. And they're halfway between Tampa and the Villages, the famous retirement community that became Trump's base where he announced his candidacy. They'll feel right at home.

• Upvote 8
  • Disgust 2

15 hours ago, SassyPants said:

For people who do not really have jobs, as in they do not work for companies that might require them to relocate for those purposes, so many of these people sure do make lots of interstate moves. (Brandon/Michaela; Jinger/Jeremy; Erin/Chad; Wallers; Bonts/Bowers/Helferichs)

ETA- JRod the biggest mover of all-

It’s super common for fundies to move after marriage because it’s not common to find a single fundie with your same beliefs in your state. Most are taken or you just don’t like them. So you have to look out of state for that match at conventions or through fundie friends. 

• Upvote 4

do you think Erin might change at least a little after moving? 

I never thought that Jill duggar will be the rebellious kid and she surprised me.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, Dbm said:

I never thought that Jill duggar will be the rebellious kid and she surprised me.

I guess she can become fundier. There's no limit. 

Rebellious? Not at all. While some of her siblings have become (relatively) mainstream, she has stayed the same way she was raised. She's very religious and goes to fundamentalist events. In addition, her beloved way of life (country life, homeschooling...) reinforces her beliefs. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, Dbm said:

I personally don't see Erin changing.  I think Erin is pretty entrenched and has a husband who is too. No need for her to change.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

I was also thinking she could become fundier than her siblings. That’s the only change I’m imagining right now. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

While many of her siblings have embraced the modern fundie movement Erin seems very content on “the old path” as Jill Rod likes to call it. Maybe she will transition to being a modern fundie like Alyssa, I would be surprised. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I don't think Erin will get any less fundie, especially since they seem to be moving closer to Chad's family, who appears to be all-in on fundiedom. As bas as Cathy is, when Jill got closer to her in-laws, she got close to a woman with degrees from an accredited university and a long career working outside the home, and whose family size was limited to 2 children. I don't know a ton about the extended Paine family, but I don't think Erin will have any of those positive influences.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I could see her going the way of Jill Duggar. As others have mentioned here before, it's sometimes those who hold the beliefs most sincerely who are compelled to break away when they wake up to the fact that those beliefs have been a lie. I have hope for them, but I foolishly hold hope for all of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

I want to mention that fundies also go “sideways.” Meaning they go from one fundie group to another. There’s a reason the Pearls suck in a lot of ex Amish. Amish are a type of fundie and when they leave the Amish community, they are probably easy targets for other fundie groups. Erin could get sucked into another type of fundie. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I could see her going the way of Jill Duggar. As others have mentioned here before, it's sometimes those who hold the beliefs most sincerely who are compelled to break away when they wake up to the fact that those beliefs have been a lie. I have hope for them, but I foolishly hold hope for all of them.

I don’t think Jill woke up to these lies all on her own. Although religious, Derrick and his family were not IBLP and Gothard followers. Chad comes from the same background as Erin so they’re not as likely to break free in my opinion. If they had doubts they probably would have acted on them by now.

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

On 5/23/2022 at 3:07 PM, BeccaGrim said:

Very conservative.  Used to be more rural, now it's suburban.  It's heavily Trump country. Very baptist.  No major cities near by, just suburban sprawl broken up with rural areas. I would guess there is a homeschool community, as Pasco County to the south has a strong Christian homeschool community.

(The city is named after a pro-slavery politician who nearly beat an abolitionist politician to death. The residents strongly oppose changing the name.)

There are some beautiful beaches 45 minutes west of where they will be, and great snorkeling, such as Weeki Watchee, which is about a half an hour from them.  

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 12

4 hours ago, MomJeans said:

Very conservative.  Used to be more rural, now it's suburban.  It's heavily Trump country. Very baptist.  No major cities near by, just suburban sprawl broken up with rural areas. I would guess there is a homeschool community, as Pasco County to the south has a strong Christian homeschool community.

(The city is named after a pro-slavery politician who nearly beat an abolitionist politician to death. The residents strongly oppose changing the name.)

There are some beautiful beaches 45 minutes west of where they will be, and great snorkeling, such as Weeki Watchee, which is about a half an hour from them.  

Holy SHIT! I didn't know who it was named for, but Senator Brooks of South Carolina started beating abolitionist Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts on the floor of the US Senate. What a terrible person to be named for!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

• samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic