IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

34 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

We received a big rectangular trampoline in 1970 for Christmas, when I was 5. At first I was only allowed on it if someone was right there watching, and I had strict rules to follow. Later, I was allowed to go out alone, but I still followed certain rules about the way they expected me to jump, which little tricks I could try and not try, etc. I was an obedient kid. At night, sometimes my brothers would sleep on it, and later I did a time or two, as well. We lived in a rural town, and had a huge yard, and the expanse of sky over our heads was sheerly amazing. Other times I'd sit under it in the shade and read books or have a picnic. 

When I was 13, I had a skateboarding accident that weakened my back for about 20 years, and I stopped using the trampoline, so my parents sold it to another family. My brothers were adults by then. 

When I first saw a trampoline with a net, some years later, it struck me as a very good idea, and it seems obviously the correct thing to do now. Many aspects of life are safer now, and sometimes just plain more sensible. We can enjoy our memories while being glad of the improvements. 

My cousins who lived in the country also had a big rectangle trampoline back in the 80s. We did get hurt on it pretty often. Idiot me put a cat on it because I thought it would like jumping too. The cat crapped (probably out of fright) and I bounced in it. I learned my lesson. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

A while back he made meatballs - following a recipe - and made heaps and he commented then that they would be freezing them.

I think it's great that he's developed a passion/hobby like he has with cooking. It seems to me to be going far beyond what is useful and practical for his family and into a real interest - watching videos, buying equipment, trying out ingredients and cuts of meat etc. I keep remembering Jim Bob and Gil harping on about "their family is their hobby" and implying that having a hobby is taking time and money away from your family (and that is wrong). What a load of bullshit and how BORING.

• Upvote 14

4 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I have. But I am a rural country girl and most people I grew up take safety as serious as the Bates do. 

I have also seen car batteries in power wheels. 

I've seen most trampolines in rural Southern Ontario as I drive by. Ppl in the city have them too but usually in the back yard so you can't nosily see them from the street.

I looked it up and there are no rules! Lots of warning that accidents happen even with nets on.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/healthy-living/your-health/products/trampoline-safety.html

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I've seen most trampolines in rural Southern Ontario as I drive by. Ppl in the city have them too but usually in the back yard so you can't nosily see them from the street.

I looked it up and there are no rules! Lots of warning that accidents happen even with nets on.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/healthy-living/your-health/products/trampoline-safety.html

Yeah they are super common here and I feel like about 1/3 don't have nets. Where I live now is small-town but not quite as 'coubtry', where I grew up was full 'country/redneck'.

Sometimes with the Bates, I have to stop and decide if their behavior is "fundie" or "country" because a lot of what they do just feels like all the country boys I grew up with. Minus the alcohol. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, eljayem said:

I think it's great that he's developed a passion/hobby like he has with cooking. It seems to me to be going far beyond what is useful and practical for his family and into a real interest - watching videos, buying equipment, trying out ingredients and cuts of meat etc. I keep remembering Jim Bob and Gil harping on about "their family is their hobby" and implying that having a hobby is taking time and money away from your family (and that is wrong). What a load of bullshit and how BORING.

I think this is it -- cooking and bbqing is Kelton's hobby. Why else wake up early to smoke a rack of ribs? And honestly, I think it's great. It's a practical and productive hobby that helps feed his family and doesn't take him away from them. It may mean he buys more expensive food and some pricey bbq setups, but it's probably no more, and quite possibly less than he'd spend on another hobby. My friends who are into home brewing also spend on his equipment and that doesn't feed their kids! If he enjoys it, more power to him!

Over on the Erin thread there's a discussion about Josie's business and I wanted to comment here. @eljayem, you said that:

Josie has been very particular about establishing her business and brand, doing it with a friend outside her family and really keeping it at arms length from her family. That business is hers and hers alone.

And I also agree with you on this. In some ways, Josie is the most independent of the family, and especially of those living in Tennessee. Her business is completely separate and is a serious endeavour. She's never really shilled or mentioned the boutique, instead choosing to support other outlets and eventually marketing her own line of hair accessories (kind of stepping on her sisters' toes there!) Plus, Kelton's business is also independent, and while he's employing Bobby I don't see Gil having his finger in that pot.

• Upvote 17

With regard to the large quantities of meat: my husband does the same. When shopping for meat, he waits until the cuts he wants are on sale, and will stock up. The Kroger by our house frequently has brisket marked down, so he buys that a lot. When he smokes a ton of meat, we usually make it stretch across several meals (brisket chili, brisket sandwiches, brisket tacos, plain brisket, etc), and share with others. 

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Josie is the most independent of the family, and especially of those living in Tennessee. Her business is completely separate and is a serious endeavour. She's never really shilled or mentioned the boutique, instead choosing to support other outlets and eventually marketing her own line of hair accessories (kind of stepping on her sisters' toes there!)

Quite a lot of Josie fans here! Keep in mind that Josie puts pictures of her kids all over her social media, including videos of them. They are too young to consent and this also puts them at risk. Presumably, she does this to promote her brand. I can't see anything admirable about the exploitation of Hazel and Willow.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

I have been thinking about a type of troll for awhile and I think I’ve decided on a name. FJ seems to attract a “Hand Slapping Troll.” Remember the troll called OMG? That one loved being hand slappy. I just want to say, it’s probably hard to ignore hand slappy trolls but it’s worth it. If you just ignore them, they will go away. 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Quite a lot of Josie fans here! Keep in mind that Josie puts pictures of her kids all over her social media, including videos of them. They are too young to consent and this also puts them at risk. Presumably, she does this to promote her brand. I can't see anything admirable about the exploitation of Hazel and Willow.

Oh, I see NOTHING good in the exploitation of young children. I wish all the Bates would get their kids off social media and keep them off. But that's not what I was talking about in this post.

Independence, especially financial independence, is the way out of fundiedom, and both Josie and Kelton are building their own facon de vivre and income streams free of Gil. I despise Kelton -- the way their relationship started is creepy as hell -- but we can recognize the good things the second generation are doing and hope that they break free of the awful mold they were raised in. I unfortunately do think these kids will be homeschooled, but perhaps if J&K have less kids and more money the homeschooling will be better and the kids have more opportunities.

*shrug* it might not happen but we can always hope.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Oh, I see NOTHING good in the exploitation of young children. I wish all the Bates would get their kids off social media and keep them off. But that's not what I was talking about in this post.

Independence, especially financial independence, is the way out of fundiedom, and both Josie and Kelton are building their own facon de vivre and income streams free of Gil. I despise Kelton -- the way their relationship started is creepy as hell -- but we can recognize the good things the second generation are doing and hope that they break free of the awful mold they were raised in. I unfortunately do think these kids will be homeschooled, but perhaps if J&K have less kids and more money the homeschooling will be better and the kids have more opportunities.

Yes we can recognize the good, I agree. IMO, it’s hypocritical to only harp on the negative and ignore the steps made to integrate into society at large.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jigsaw3 said:

And everyone, the troll included, knows you weren’t fangirling! I am so incredibly over that posters intentional bad faith interpretations, hand slapping and concern trolling. Your post didn’t need an explanation or apology. ❤️

• Upvote 17

2 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Independence, especially financial independence, is the way out of fundiedom, and both Josie and Kelton are building their own facon de vivre and income streams free of Gil.

Yes if anything happened to Kelton I can't see Josie moving back to her parents place to live in the "girls room" with her daughters ala Anna Duggar precisely because she has the financial independence and work experience to make it on her own.

I'm not 100% sure on whether they will home school, at least not all the way, I think if they found the right sort of private Christian school (for them and their beliefs) Josie and Kelton would have no issue with it. I think if Kelton's side of the family used schools it's even more likely that they will too.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

7 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I agree that financial independence is great--I hate the way the Duggars have left their kids financially dependent on them. Kelton does seem to be the most ambitious of the Bates' sons-in-laws (I am not sure how profitable Josie's businesses are tbh). But we don't even know if they WANT a way out of fundiedom. For all we know, they send their spare cash to a Trump re-election PAC.

This young couple is so attractive and appealing that it's easy to forget that they hold some pretty detestable beliefs about homosexuals and Jews, Muslims and other groups. They also exploit their children to make money, which really bothers me. I find that many people on reddit admire Josie's beauty and ambition, and tend to forget that inside she holds the same revolting beliefs as other, less appealing fundies. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I agree that financial independence is great--I hate the way the Duggars have left their kids financially dependent on them. Kelton does seem to be the most ambitious of the Bates' sons-in-laws (I am not sure how profitable Josie's businesses are tbh). But we don't even know if they WANT a way out of fundiedom. For all we know, they send their spare cash to a Trump re-election PAC.

This young couple is so attractive and appealing that it's easy to forget that they hold some pretty detestable beliefs about homosexuals and Jews, Muslims and other groups. They also exploit their children to make money, which really bothers me. I find that many people on reddit admire Josie's beauty and ambition, and tend to forget that inside she holds the same revolting beliefs as other, less appealing fundies. 

In my experience as a fundie, Jews are held in a place of reverence as God's Chosen People. Can you explain where you have seen Josie Bates discriminate/display racism against Jews? I've just never seen it except for Steven Anderson and he's too wacko for most fundies which is why he had to start his own branch of fundamentalism.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 3

In terms of the Bates and their media presence, I would agree that Josie and Kelton are on the higher end of SM exposure. However, I don’t think they display the girls all that much when you compare with their overall SM posting numbers. There are a whole lot of Josie hair, make up, accessories and fashion posts in addition to their travel and cooking posts. I think Alyssa and Carlin post their kids far more than Josie. And I do agree that kid exploitation for a buck is bad-

• Upvote 5

Josie has crappy beliefs, I agree. 

But she said she was going to do hair as a ministry, and then I think since opening up her own business has taken more secular jobs (her partner is definitely not baptist). I don't know that she'd be as popular if she just started talking about Jesus at each hair appointment. 

I think she's a more successful Gil/Kelly. Because it looks like between herself and her husband that she can pay for their lifestyle. But keep in mind, she knows how to play the system.  Sure, she's shiny and can do hair, but she's not separating completely from those beliefs. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:20 AM, nolongerIFBx said:

In my experience as a fundie, Jews are held in a place of reverence as God's Chosen People. Can you explain where you have seen Josie Bates discriminate/display racism against Jews? I've just never seen it except for Steven Anderson and he's too wacko for most fundies which is why he had to start his own branch of fundamentalism.

Yes, you are right! I went back to edit that and it was too late. Fundies do seem to have a strange reverence for Jews.

• Downvote 1

I know it’s harder for fundies but…I had a career as a nurse and was also a practicing RC for most of that time. I hope my colleagues, the patients and families could appreciate my nursing and communication skills without framing those attributes in my religion. Many parts create the whole and unless someone is actively, vocally and continually using their religion and as a weapon, why must that always override and cloud everything? Now JB and M Duggar and G and KJ Bates, they deserve far more scrutiny as EVERYTHING was about their brand of faith. They made their livings using religion as a weapon to coerce, hurt and shame other people. Do Josie and Kelton do that? Maybe, but I don’t see it. I see a young, religious couple who are hustling to earn a living. He seems like a bright guy, and she is very mature for her age. Religion aside, they are taking care of business. 

People also have to remember, they think OUR religious beliefs (or lack there of) are awful too, but we still get to have them.

• Upvote 8

I think Josie and Kelton are the Bates children most likely to slip out of fundie into conservative Christian. Their beliefs are still going to be toxic, but in a more mainstream way. But their beliefs are still awful and they defintirly contribute to right wing political causes, Kelton's company had a table at an anti-abortion charity thing. 

I do think it is great that Kelton not only cooks, but has Willow help him. It is important for children to help in the kitchen and I think helping her dad is even more important because it will help her see a norm outside of fundie gender stereotypes. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I just assumed any time there are videos where they are buying/cooking/etc. meats, they expense the costs for the business of creating videos for profit.

Or, at the very least, they *think* about expensing the costs as in, "I feel like steak tonight. Hmmm, if I film and create a TikTok video about buying and cooking the steak, I can expense the steak".

This train of thought can apply to any purchase; clothing, visiting a zoo, etc.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, nolongerIFBx said:

I would say most fundies discriminate against Jews.

Fundies tend to believe that Jews are God's Chosen People and need to be in Israel for the second coming. On the other hand, fundie evangelicals believe anyone "who isn't saved" or "doesn't know Jesus" is going to hell. That includes Jews and is a form of discrimination. 

The Duggars have a history supporting an organization called "One For Israel", an organization that tries to convert Jewish people. The organization is helping to spread Messianic Judaism (a Christian movement that that incorporates Judaism and Christianity into one religion).

• Upvote 8

On 6/2/2022 at 10:48 AM, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

Josie has crappy beliefs, I agree. 

But she said she was going to do hair as a ministry, and then I think since opening up her own business has taken more secular jobs (her partner is definitely not baptist).

If she were doing it as a ministry, would she be charging market rates? Or charging at all? I guess I don't see how going into business, doing someone's hair/makeup, and charging them is a ministry. My local supermarket is a ministry, then, and my dentist. Amazon is a ministry, in that case.

Earning money is not the same as a ministry, unless you are looking for reasons to find virtue in someone.

You are saying, "Yes, she has crappy (racist, homophobic) beliefs, but . . .. she has a ministry! She's godly!"

I'd never say, "Yes, but. . . " to homophobia and racism, anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

23 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

If she were doing it as a ministry, would she be charging market rates? Or charging at all? I guess I don't see how going into business, doing someone's hair/makeup, and charging them is a ministry. My local supermarket is a ministry, then, and my dentist. Amazon is a ministry, in that case.

Earning money is not the same as a ministry, unless you are looking for reasons to find virtue in someone.

You are saying, "Yes, she has crappy (racist, homophobic) beliefs, but . . .. she has a ministry! She's godly!"

I'd never say, "Yes, but. . . " to homophobia and racism, anyway.

It is natual for her to say that her hair business is a ministry, as that is what she and Katie were taught at Crown. In addition to classes on cutting, styling, color, etc., they had to take classes on evangelism, Bible whatever, etc. They are essentially taught from day one that in addition to providing a new style, they are to make over the person's soul. After all, you are a bit of a trapped audience when you are in a stylist's chair. 

It has very little to nothing to do with charging money. It is about the overall experience. 

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

The Duggars have a history supporting an organization called "One For Israel", an organization that tries to convert Jewish people. The organization is helping to spread Messianic Judaism (a Christian movement that that incorporates Judaism and Christianity into one religion).

Jews for Jesus!  That is the actual name of their organization.   They were visiting the Assembly of God church up the street from me years ago and I saw their bus parked outside. 

https://jewsforjesus.org/

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Jews for Jesus!  That is the actual name of their organization.   They were visiting the Assembly of God church up the street from me years ago and I saw their bus parked outside. 

https://jewsforjesus.org/

The Duggars were definitely involved with One For Israel (link). I remember Joy and Austin went to Switzerland on television, but went to Israel afterwards where they volunteered with One For Israel. 

Of course are these different parts of the same organization? I don't know. Were the Duggars involved with both? Yes, that's also possible. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic