IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

The Bates Family Instagram had a post about one of their tutors graduating from Crown College. The graduate and her sister spend so much time with the Bateses, they are more like family. I bet these sisters babysit for everyone.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

The Bates Family Instagram had a post about one of their tutors graduating from Crown College. The graduate and her sister spend so much time with the Bateses, they are more like family. I bet these sisters babysit for everyone.

I don’t know. If they were tutoring for Kelly 5 days a week and going to college, they probably can’t babysit all the time for Josie. Unless the sisters alternated. But that’s a lot of work. It just goes to show that Kelly hasn’t homeschooled her kids in at least 15 years. I bet she has the next tutor lined up. If they never had the show, she would be stuck in that small house homeschooling her own children without the money to take constant trips. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Has Josie ever mentioned who watches her girls when she and Kelton are both working? Yesterday Josie posted about KJ helping her at work (or maybe just visiting), and I didn’t see or hear the girls. Plus Josie was in the big truck. Would she transport the girls in that vehicle? And then last night she and Kelton had a work function. I’m assuming one of her sisters babysat as KJ was watching the Paine children last evening. Josie seems to work quite a bit and hs never mentioned a sitter, yet you don’t see/hear the kids when she posts work stuff. This seems very different from Carlin and Layla’s situation. Maybe Michaela babysits? 

I don't think it is Michaela because she has posted when Michaela had helped out before. She has referenced having a regular sitter on Mondays, but doesn't say who it is. Maybe someone from their church? 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I don't think it is Michaela because she has posted when Michaela had helped out before. She has referenced having a regular sitter on Mondays, but doesn't say who it is. Maybe someone from their church? 

I doubt she feels the need to post every single time Michael comes to sit. It could certainly be Michael.

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

I doubt she feels the need to post every single time Michael comes to sit. It could certainly be Michael.

It could but usually when Michael babysits she says "thanks for helping us out" and makes it sound like an extra while she makes her Monday sitter sound like a normal thing. 

• Upvote 7

I have to say, while expectations were on the ground, Josie's marriage seems like it's working out decently well for her.

We'll see where her fertility trajectory goes, but the fact that he has a good job and she gets to work outside the house doing something she loves and that brings in actual money, beats out 90%+ of other fundies we follow.

While some thought that the fridge purchase was questionable, she loved it and I think it's just as well that it could have been something they were "saving up for" but Kelton made more than he thought he would, or picked up a few extra plumbing calls here or there, or just decided that it was worth scrimping a bit because of the daily enjoyment factor. Guessing both of them are still loving that fridge every day.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I have to say, while expectations were on the ground, Josie's marriage seems like it's working out decently well for her.

We'll see where her fertility trajectory goes, but the fact that he has a good job and she gets to work outside the house doing something she loves and that brings in actual money, beats out 90%+ of other fundies we follow.

While some thought that the fridge purchase was questionable, she loved it and I think it's just as well that it could have been something they were "saving up for" but Kelton made more than he thought he would, or picked up a few extra plumbing calls here or there, or just decided that it was worth scrimping a bit because of the daily enjoyment factor. Guessing both of them are still loving that fridge every day.

Putting Katie aside, I think all the other married B girls seem to have decent, perhaps even equitable/healthy (to them)relationships with their spouses (from what we see). I think what really helps the Balkas is the fact that Josie is very mature for her age. I forget that she is closer in age to Katie than to Carlin. I think she presents as more mature than Carlin. I also think the Stewarts have a decent, healthy relationship, again, from what they show us. 

I am glad that all these folks seem to be integrating into the world beyond their parents and Gothard. Working, having outside friends, babysitters, camping trips…they aren’t all stuck at home and reading Bibles. There is a time and place for everything. It’s not healthy to be all religion, all of the time. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1

I agree with the above. Kelton was awful and entitled and he used Josie as a trophy wife, but he has changed a lot. They seem to have an equal marriage and respect each other, and he does home chores and raises the kids. 

I hope they stop having kids, to allow Josie to keep and grow her business. I guess Josie would be miserable if she was stuck at home. But I bet Kelly is constantly reminding her daughters that they should have more and homeschool all of them.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 11

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I agree with the above. Kelton was awful and entitled and he used Josie as a trophy wife, but he has changed a lot. They seem to have an equal marriage and respect each other, and he does home chores and raises the kids. 

Agreed. I think Kelton has probably simply grown up a bit, he also has a proper, skilled job so props to him for that.

Josie seems to have a bit of drive and ambition, it's a shame her upbringing and culture have cut off education as an option but good to see her working and making money.

As a couple, if they limit the number of children they have, I can see them doing well.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

A lot of the Bates girls got lucky in that they didn’t have to move away. Michael did for a little while but now she’s back. Alyssa is the only one away and she seems to be the one best suited for living far away. Katie is not suited for living far away. I think that’s a huge contributing factor. On top of the fact that they are so young and the Clark’s are so controlling. It’s crazy to think her family was less controlling than her in laws. Be careful who you marry in fundieland! 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

Who knew that Kelton has a degree in finance? I hate to say this because in the beginning I found him quite off-putting, but I like his work ethic and how supportive he is of Josie’s career. I think he might be fairly intelligent. If so, and beliefs aside, good for them.

• Upvote 8

Was gonna say, I am impressed with both of their growth... especially Kelton! Both seem to be thriving in their businesses, hoping they keep their family size small. Still shitty beliefs but, they seem to be doing better than other fundie couples. Kind of intrigued to see where the next few years will take them. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Kelton and Bobby both have degrees from PCC right? 

Yes, but I think Bobby’s is in ministry, not as useful. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

Was gonna say, I am impressed with both of their growth... especially Kelton! Both seem to be thriving in their businesses, hoping they keep their family size small. Still shitty beliefs but, they seem to be doing better than other fundie couples. Kind of intrigued to see where the next few years will take them. 

I think being out in the world and interacting with people from all walks of life and seeing for yourself that not every person who believes or looks differently from you is an amoral, derelict or axe murderer has to help to  begin to rethink and reshape rigid beliefs.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

Josie seems to be more open to being around non fundie people. Which makes a difference. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Guanabana said:

Yes, but I think Bobby’s is in ministry, not as useful. 

Isn’t Bobby a plumber or an electrician now? Did Evan go to college?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Isn’t Bobby a plumber or an electrician now? Did Evan go to college?

Bobby works for Kelton, initially learning plumbing. From comments made it seems Bobby now does office work. Kelton started with one truck, is now up to four, and a brick and mortar office. Evan just finished an electrician five year program  and is part of an union. His salary will likely increase a nice amount. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3

Bobby works as the officer manager for Kelton's Plumbing company. Evan just finished his electrician's apprenticeship and is fully certified now. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

I wouldn't be surprised if Kelton starts dabbling in local or state politics at some point. At the moment establishing his own business is immensely challenging but in 5 -10 years I can imagine his business will be thriving and their personal finances a bit healthier and he'll be keen on the challenge - he just seems that type. Also while both he and Josie have a social media following it's carefully curated, no Youtube channel for them, they don't vlog their whole lives like Carlin/Evan and Alyssa and they don't preach like Erin/Chad. On their main SM, IG, Josie mostly promotes her own company when I'm pretty sure she could get a ton more promotional work if she wanted (Whitney/Katie). It just makes me wonder if even now they know that political office is a possibility, an aspiration, and they are keeping that in mind?

Edited by eljayem
clarity - I used a double negative that didn't make sense
  • Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1

On 5/8/2022 at 12:46 AM, Melissa1977 said:

"Trophy husband" or "trophy wife" usually refers to an older person marrying an attractive younger person. These were just two young kids marrying.

I agree Kelton was awful, though. I can't imagine he's completely transformed in --what?--three years. He's probably just learned to hide his entitled attitude. All we see, really, is Kelton smiling for pictures or performing for the camera.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

It's one thing to have an idealized picture of what you want and another to actually get it. Living with Josie probably forced him to see her as an actual person and may well have mellowed him. He seems like he had spent a lot of time thinking about her when she was too young and not talking to him.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

It's one thing to have an idealized picture of what you want and another to actually get it. Living with Josie probably forced him to see her as an actual person and may well have mellowed him. He seems like he had spent a lot of time thinking about her when she was too young and not talking to him.

I always wonder if this happens with a lot of fundies. So many couples barely even know each other. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always wonder if this happens with a lot of fundies. So many couples barely even know each other. 

Yeah, definitely get that feeling with Law and Tiff. I haven't watched all of their youtube vids but in the ones I have they come across as being a tad awkward because they don't know each other.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, eljayem said:

Yeah, definitely get that feeling with Law and Tiff. I haven't watched all of their youtube vids but in the ones I have they come across as being a tad awkward because they don't know each other.

Their entire relationship has been a giant vacation with random family weddings and parties sprinkled in between flights. I love traveling and so does my husband, but it's not an accurate picture of our real lives or personalities. These two are in for massive reality checks. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic