IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

19 hours ago, EmiSue said:

Their entire relationship has been a giant vacation with random family weddings and parties sprinkled in between flights. I love traveling and so does my husband, but it's not an accurate picture of our real lives or personalities. These two are in for massive reality checks. 

That's true of a lot of the Bates.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Does Melton have a brother (not fixing that auto correct lol) 

I thought he was the eldest of girls? DCF88C25-EEB5-48D5-AC0C-A7AAE065C2CE.thumb.png.f12d107b7845fbf2741eaebd96edc51d.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

Does Melton have a brother (not fixing that auto correct lol) 

I thought he was the eldest of girls?

I think there's at least one younger brother (Grant?), maybe two.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Kelton has two brothers and two sisters. His brother Grant (the one getting married) was in his wedding. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

Last week in California (including 2 delayed flights and a wedding) and now in Florida, all with a toddler and a baby! Wow, I would become insane. God bless their energy!

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Last week in California (including 2 delayed flights and a wedding) and now in Florida, all with a toddler and a baby! Wow, I would become insane. God bless their energy!

And she worked a day in between. When did they unpack? Do laundry? Repack? Sleep? Oh to be 22 YO…..

• Upvote 9

I guess that’s one positive of being a young mom. Plenty of energy. When I was her age, I could stay up all night drinking and work hours the next day. Nowadays I have a full night of sleep and I still wake up tired. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I guess that’s one positive of being a young mom. Plenty of energy. When I was her age, I could stay up all night drinking and work hours the next day. Nowadays I have a full night of sleep and I still wake up tired. 

I was invited to a birthday party this weekend that goes from 1 til wee hours of the morning and e erykbe in my house is like we will be done by 9

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

I was invited to a birthday party this weekend that goes from 1 til wee hours of the morning and e erykbe in my house is like we will be done by 9

If I see midnight it’s because I have woken up to  pee-

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

It's easier to have energy when life's a party. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/8/2022 at 3:46 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I agree with the above. Kelton was awful and entitled and he used Josie as a trophy wife, but he has changed a lot. They seem to have an equal marriage and respect each other, and he does home chores and raises the kids. 

I hope they stop having kids, to allow Josie to keep and grow her business. I guess Josie would be miserable if she was stuck at home. But I bet Kelly is constantly reminding her daughters that they should have more and homeschool all of them.

I think part of this might be due to the loss of Kelton’s mom. Due to that circumstance, his dad was a single parent who had no choice but to be an engaging, involved parent in every aspect of his children’s lives.

It’s one thing to preach patriarchy and division of labor based on gender, but the most powerful influence on behavior is modeling, and Kelton’s dad has inadvertently modeled involved, participatory fatherhood. That role seems normal and familiar to Kelton, which will hopefully be to Josie’s benefit and the benefit of their children. 

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Johannah said:

I think part of this might be due to the loss of Kelton’s mom. Due to that circumstance, his dad was a single parent who had no choice but to be an engaging, involved parent in every aspect of his children’s lives.

Do we know Kelton's dad parented like that? Do we know much about Kelton's dad? I never read that he was good parent or a bad one. I mean, there are single dads who aren't involved, even though they should be.

11 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Do we know Kelton's dad parented like that? Do we know much about Kelton's dad? I never read that he was good parent or a bad one. I mean, there are single dads who aren't involved, even though they should be.

I am positive I heard kelton talk highly about his father at least once. It seemed like he takes his father as a role model for him as a husband and father. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Dbm said:

I am positive I heard kelton talk highly about his father at least once. It seemed like he takes his father as a role model for him as a husband and father. 

Yes, Kelton has definitely praised his father in the past. 

• Upvote 6

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.9d3320065fd58401a0019c41c2c6e62b.jpeg

I don’t remember where I read this, but it said that Kelton’s dad was very involved and continued to homeschool his kids after his wife died. He had his own business, but I still don’t know how he could do it. I’ll try to track down that source.

Found it.

Edited by JDuggs
Adding more
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

I thought Kelton went to a private school. Maybe high school? 

His dad seems to be an involved and supporting father. During Willow's birth, Kelton was really distressed and his father was pictured by his side, hugging him etc. It was a physical, emotional support that makes me think that he really is a good parenting role model for Kelton.

• Upvote 10

This is a pretty unfundie wedding dress. in fact this entire picture has very mainstream wedding vibes. It is a pretty dress but the seamstress didn't do a great job hiding th built-in bra cups (my dress had them too).  Josie''s dress is pretty too. The girls dresses are the same shade as the bridesmaids, so while they aren't flower girls, I feel like they were still dressed too match (we did that with my daughter at a family wedding when she was 1.5 at the bride's suggestion) 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20220522-182901.thumb.png.a12771faf5c2ad53d295bb91a60cad21.png

• Upvote 3

I still do not understand how these young people have enough money for the amount of travelling they do. We had very little debt in the early years of our marriage, and we both worked, but there was no way we could afford flying to California with our two young children one weekend and then drive to Florida the next! (And gas at $4.50 a gallon!) 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, FaithAndReason said:

I still do not understand how these young people have enough money for the amount of travelling they do. We had very little debt in the early years of our marriage, and we both worked, but there was no way we could afford flying to California with our two young children one weekend and then drive to Florida the next! (And gas at $4.50 a gallon!) 

Kelton owns a plumbing company with (I believe) 5 trucks, so he is likely bringing in good money and Josie has her business plus whatever she makes influencing. My guess is they are the most financially comfortable of the gem 2 Bates. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

Kelton owns a plumbing company with (I believe) 5 trucks, so he is likely bringing in good money and Josie has her business plus whatever she makes influencing. My guess is they are the most financially comfortable of the gem 2 Bates. 

I wonder if Josie would also deduct the flight for atleast her as a business expense since she did some of the hair at the wedding ? I’d assume she has some sort of business credit card or debit card and put her flight on there to keep it separate

Edit - removing iPhone signature
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Heidijoey said:

I wonder if Josie would also deduct the flight for atleast her as a business expense since she did some of the hair at the wedding ? I’d assume she has some sort of business credit card or debit card and put her flight on there to keep it separate

Edit - removing iPhone signature

Good point..her business partner was there as well, so they might have been able to call it a business expense. 

• Upvote 7

So it looks like Kelton's youngest brother is going to be joining his company. He just graduated (high school? He is 18, will be 19 in December) and in his speech he thanked Kelton for giving him a passion for plumping and said "Tennessee Standard for life" so if he isn't joining now, it seems that is the long term goal. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 5/22/2022 at 5:21 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Owning a company is not the same as making "good money", or any money at all for that matter. Also, when you own a busy and successful business, you usually cannot leave it for extended periods of time. 

I think we make a lot of assumptions about the Bates' level of success. Chad's business, for example was presumed to be successful too.  Yet his business couldn't have been that successful, or he wouldn't be abandoning it to move to Florida.

If Chad's business was even somewhat successful, he would be selling it. While this might be happening, the Paines did not say anything about a business sale on their video)

Edited by Jackie3
  • Move Along 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

Chad is passing the business onto Trace. 

As for Kelton, he has several employees (while Chad seemed to hire his BILs) and he is doing things like making commericals and being a major charitable donor (of an anti-abortion charity, which was a good reminder how awful their views are) and he hosts employee dinners, etc. We are  Kelton make lots of business related moves that Chad didn't, so while it is still assumptions, it is one based on evidence. 

His business is also a franchise of a successful company with multiple franchises in Tennessee. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic