IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

So Kelton addressed the leftover situation. he takes leftovers for his lunch but also shares them with his employees. 

• Upvote 9

32 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

So Kelton addressed the leftover situation. he takes leftovers for his lunch but also shares them with his employees. 

I guess that’s nice of him. I feel like his father in law wouldn’t think to do that. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7

On 5/20/2022 at 1:33 PM, Johannah said:

I think part of this might be due to the loss of Kelton’s mom. Due to that circumstance, his dad was a single parent who had no choice but to be an engaging, involved parent in every aspect of his children’s lives.

It’s one thing to preach patriarchy and division of labor based on gender, but the most powerful influence on behavior is modeling, and Kelton’s dad has inadvertently modeled involved, participatory fatherhood. That role seems normal and familiar to Kelton, which will hopefully be to Josie’s benefit and the benefit of their children. 

Agreed. I was raised by a single father, too. Not a consistently involved single father, but nonetheless, I feel the dynamic of growing up in a single- parent household often results in a greater deal of independence and lack of “gender roles”, even if the parent doesn’t always step outside of their “gender role.” One parent simply cannot do it all with a gaggle of children, so when responsibilities trickle down, the sex of the children matters less and less when shit just needs to get done.

• Upvote 9

I’m assuming that IG where Kelton was smoking the pork shoulder was in real time, so perhaps yesterday? Josie was working a wedding and Kelton was home with the kids. I find this totally relatable as I used to work every other weekend while my husband was home with our kids. I did not come home to BBQ. Lots of takeout at my house. 😂

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

I’m assuming that IG where Kelton was smoking the pork shoulder was in real time, so perhaps yesterday? Josie was working a wedding and Kelton was home with the kids. I find this totally relatable as I used to work every other weekend while my husband was home with our kids. I did not come home to BBQ. Lots of takeout at my house. 😂

Yep. They labelled the times. Kelton and Josie got up at the same time and he did the prep and then she went to work and he went back to bed and got up with the girls and put it on the smoker and then he took care of the girls while she was at work.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

Oops meant to put that on Carlin's thread.

Edited by displayname
posted to wrong thread sorry!

On 6/4/2022 at 8:23 AM, CanadianMamam said:

Their beliefs are still going to be toxic, but in a more mainstream way.

I'm not sure what that means. Can racism and homophobia be both toxic and mainstream? "Yes, it's toxic but it's 'mainstream toxic.'"

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I guess that’s nice of him. I feel like his father in law wouldn’t think to do that. 

His father in law could not properly feed his own children (before TV money), let alone feed employees. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Guanabana said:

His father in law could not properly feed his own children (before TV money), let alone feed employees. 

His children WERE/ARE his employees. Such an icky guy, but I still don't have the same level of disgust for him that I do for JB Duggar.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Bobology said:

His children WERE/ARE his employees. Such an icky guy, but I still don't have the same level of disgust for him that I do for JB Duggar.

Both families are at the worst level. And both had hungry kids, while Duggars hunger was shorter. What makes Gil slightly better (but still horrible) is that he showed affection for the children. JB was very cold. I'm talking about the first episodes and special programs. Bates looked weird but more relaxed than Duggars and Gil always carried little kids (Kelly didn't).

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 6/5/2022 at 12:42 PM, Bobology said:

His Children are just in a prettier package, don't forget the Bates home had a confederacy room.
Gil served on the IBLP board.
And, he had one job--to provide for his children. Which he failed at miserably. 
Sex feels great with the right partner, but for a fundie dude, it's all about getting your rocks off.
He had more kids than he could conceivably provide for--which led to things like having to rely on money from his SON to get groceries. His SON had better control of his money than an adult man who said he's always thinking of every penny.
They didn't have insurance. Addalee almost died. 

I feel sorry for someone if they have a few kids and fall on hard times.
I don't feel sorry for someone who lives to raise kids who think you should keep one race in power, raises treasonists or people who joke about black men dying, who is on the board of a cult who decides they wanna be a human puppy mill. Kelly talked about the problems she had with the last few, that her body had issues. And he didn't care. He was too baby crazy.

Nope.

Edited to add, Gil seems more engaged with his kids, especially the young ones. He does some heavy lifting there compared to JB. 

Edited by GracieLou Free Duggar
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

His Children are just in a prettier package, don't forget the Bates home had a confederacy room.

They were not the ''pretty package'' when they first appeared on ''X kids and counting''. No one remembers the matching prairie dresses?? I'd say the difference between the Bates and Duggars is that the Bates became self-aware of their image much faster. They learned quickly how to present a beautiful more normal version of the Duggars.

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, Vivi_music said:

They were not the ''pretty package'' when they first appeared on ''X kids and counting''. No one remembers the matching prairie dresses?? I'd say the difference between the Bates and Duggars is that the Bates became self-aware of their image much faster. They learned quickly how to present a beautiful more normal version of the Duggars.

I never forget, the Duggars even dragged them for being a bit more 'country' or 'prairie.'
But Michelle at least taught Michael how to sew. More than Kelly ever did.
I think the shift came between United Bates of America and Bringing up Bates. There was probably a focus group and IBLP signed up Gil and promised him riches in the Kingdom. I don't think it was internall-that weird producer who brought both families to tv probably convinced Gil because he's into money and the short game, whereas we all know JB is a control freak.
Fundie Princess Erin had to have a cake for the big creeper, Gothard himself, at her wedding.

Edited by GracieLou Free Duggar
Substituted For
  • Upvote 6

I think another thing to keep in mind is that it seems that Michelle at the very least enjoyed the kids as babies where as Kelly passed them off even earlier than Michelle. Kelly seems to enjoy her children in their teen years, but she did not want to do all their care as babies and passed them on to her older daughters even earlier than Michelle.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, Natalie22 said:

I think another thing to keep in mind is that it seems that Michelle at the very least enjoyed the kids as babies where as Kelly passed them off even earlier than Michelle. Kelly seems to enjoy her children in their teen years, but she did not want to do all their care as babies and passed them on to her older daughters even earlier than Michelle.

Michelle stated that she cared for the babies for 6 months, but it was Jana and Jill who cared for Josie, despite she was so frail. I highly doubt Michelle mothered any of the youngest kids for 6 months. At Jordyn's birth, Jessa was present during the C-section because she had to bond with "her" baby (which she didn't at all).

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6

If I could point to 2 big differences between the 2 families and how that could affect public perception is the arrogance and entitlement that JB exudes vs Gil. JB is pushy and has a big mouth. Gil presents as more subtle. JB has been more financially successful, likely because his mama helped him out in the beginning. He and Michelle also delayed reproduction for the first 4 years of marriage, giving them a bit of time to save money, whereas G/KJ had a baby within 12 months. I think in the early years JB/M were bigger hustlers (and maybe con artists too). 

JB has an inflated sense of self and has always proclaimed how his way is better. Has Gil done that? 

JB never prepared his kids for an independent future. His ego is much too big.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

He and Michelle also delayed reproduction for the first 4 years of marriage, giving them a bit of time to save money, whereas G/KJ had a baby within 12 months.

Yes, but Michelle and JB married at 17. Kelly and Gil married later. They started parenting at the same age (more or less).

Regarding money, young Michelle and JB were poor. When they started having kids, they sold used cars and lived very frugal. Gil had a good job (that he left when he had several children). So, at the beginning of the quiverful crazyness, Bates were better equiped.

• Upvote 3

One thing these two families have in common: The one let their girls live in the same house as their pedo son. (Or rather let HIM stay around them) The other sent their girls to "camp" with a creep that liked teen girls. Pick your poison.:ew: But "children are a blessing" - yeah right, neither family treats them as such. 

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

JB never prepared his kids for an independent future. His ego is much too big.

How were Zach, Isiaih, Jackson, Trace and the others prepared for an independent future? Granted, some of them have found their way to independence, but it's no thanks to Gil. He paid for the first semester of college, and that's it. One semester of college doesn't provide you with a career, in most cases.

Same with the girls. Some have found a way to make money, but they are hardly well prepared for life. The girls dont even seem to know how to cook for the most part (and I'm sure that's true for the boys as well)

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Yes, but Michelle and JB married at 17. Kelly and Gil married later. They started parenting at the same age (more or less).

Regarding money, young Michelle and JB were poor. When they started having kids, they sold used cars and lived very frugal. Gil had a good job (that he left when he had several children). So, at the beginning of the quiverful crazyness, Bates were better equiped.

Actually JB seemed to be active in a number of businesses. He had his real estate license, as did Michelle. He towed cars. He fixed up and sold used cars. Michelle helped him out in all these endeavors, and she seemed pretty organized. She also knew how to cook. I don't like her but she seems smarter and more capable than Kelly (and JB seems much more enterprising than Gil).  Kelly doesn't seem to have a vast skill set--what are her strengths, anyway?

Honestly, I think the Duggar kids were more certain of a square meal than the Bates kids, at any stage of the game. The Bates kids had a better chance of getting  some affection, though.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Hazelbunny said:

One thing these two families have in common: The one let their girls live in the same house as their pedo son. (Or rather let HIM stay around them) The other sent their girls to "camp" with a creep that liked teen girls. Pick your poison.:ew: But "children are a blessing" - yeah right, neither family treats them as such. 

I 100% believe that the more you have of something the less each individual piece is cherished and special. 1 huge diamond or mansion, WOW, 4 of each, shrugs. Where children are concerned, there just isn’t enough time-

• Upvote 6

20 hours ago, GracieLou Free Duggar said:

Fundie Princess Erin had to have a cake for the big creeper, Gothard himself, at her wedding.

*groom's cake, there fixed that for you lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

*groom's cake, there fixed that for you lol

Shall we just call it a “Groom/ers Cake” to cover all the bases? 😉

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 19
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I 100% believe that the more you have of something the less each individual piece is cherished and special. 1 huge diamond or mansion, WOW, 4 of each, shrugs. Where children are concerned, there just isn’t enough time-

Inflation in human form? :think:

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Hazelbunny said:

Inflation in human form? :think:

I love my 2 (GROWN) kids, a girl and a boy, but damn if I had 3, 4 or 10 of each? Well, the thrill would definitely be gone.

• Upvote 2

Josie is making a giveaway with a Dyson airwrap as one of the gifts. That thing is quite expensive. Either her business is doing that well or someone is sponsoring her

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic