IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

Chad is passing the business onto Trace. 

As for Kelton, he has several employees (while Chad seemed to hire his BILs) and he is doing things like making commericals and being a major charitable donor (of an anti-abortion charity, which was a good reminder how awful their views are) and he hosts employee dinners, etc. We are  Kelton make lots of business related moves that Chad didn't, so while it is still assumptions, it is one based on evidence. 

His business is also a franchise of a successful company with multiple franchises in Tennessee. 

his plumbing business is a franchise, I though he made it from the ground up

9 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

his plumbing business is a franchise, I though he made it from the ground up

No, Tennessee Standard is a chain. Kelton said in the past that he was given the opportunity to buy into the business. I believe he started the Knoxville operation but Tennessee Standard is a larger operation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

On 5/20/2022 at 7:33 PM, Johannah said:

I think part of this might be due to the loss of Kelton’s mom. Due to that circumstance, his dad was a single parent who had no choice but to be an engaging, involved parent in every aspect of his children’s lives.

It’s one thing to preach patriarchy and division of labor based on gender, but the most powerful influence on behavior is modeling, and Kelton’s dad has inadvertently modeled involved, participatory fatherhood. That role seems normal and familiar to Kelton, which will hopefully be to Josie’s benefit and the benefit of their children. 

I agree. I don’t know if his father was what I would call a “warm and loving parent” (all Fundie kids praise their parents but for some we know enough of the reality of their upbringing). But he was taking care of his children mostly by himself from what we know. That included cooking, shopping, budgeting, washing and so on. I don’t doubt the children had to start taking chores on early, but it seems it was more evenly spread and not treating them as maids (looking at you G&K). He also didn’t quickly remarry to get a new woman into the house to care for the children and the “female realm”. He also seems to have provided for his family through work and didn’t stop to grift. So in that regard I think he was a good role model to his children. 
Parent behaviour has a massive impact on children. 

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

No, Tennessee Standard is a chain. Kelton said in the past that he was given the opportunity to buy into the business. I believe he started the Knoxville operation but Tennessee Standard is a larger operation. 

When you google Tennessee Standard Plumbing, the first result and only actual company website that comes up has Kelton in almost every photo. It seems unlikely that a chain company would use the same franchisee in every photo, and it seems equally unlikely that a chain with multiple franchises would allow one franchise to have the main URL with no signs of a corporate website or any other franchises. All of the other google results also only point to Kelton's business (company Facebook page, Angi and Home Advisor pages, etc. that use the same content as the website).  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, OHFL2009 said:

When you google Tennessee Standard Plumbing, the first result and only actual company website that comes up has Kelton in almost every photo. It seems unlikely that a chain company would use the same franchisee in every photo, and it seems equally unlikely that a chain with multiple franchises would allow one franchise to have the main URL with no signs of a corporate website or any other franchises. All of the other google results also only point to Kelton's business (company Facebook page, Angi and Home Advisor pages, etc. that use the same content as the website).  

Oh interesting, I swear I saw.something they pointed to it having other locations but apparently I was wrong. 

So it is just Kelton's business but the signs do all point to it being pretty successful.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Exactly. If the business were worth even $100,000, it's unlikely he'd just "pass it on" to Trace.

"Passing it on" sounds like, "I'll make new business cards with your number instead of mine."

How is the Bates Sister Boutique doing financially? Anyone have any idea? Erin stepped away from that.  Was just wondering if Chad and Erin are actually in trouble and someone in FL is bringing him in as a partner, which will get them out of trouble. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

How is the Bates Sister Boutique doing financially? Anyone have any idea? Erin stepped away from that.  Was just wondering if Chad and Erin are actually in trouble and someone in FL is bringing him in as a partner, which will get them out of trouble. 

If Erin was making, say, $50,000 a year from the Boutique, I doubt she would have "stepped away." Follow the money.

There are a lot of people importing inexpensive clothes for resale. People who have contacts with wholesalers, distributors and manufacturers, people with business acumen and knowledge of business accounting. I think any success the Bates Boutique had came from the name recognition they had, because of the show. It was exciting to buy a dress from Whitney or Carlin! With the show gone, they are just another clothing importer, because their name recognition is going to fade very fast. 

The loss of the show is a real blow. I'd sure like to know the reason they lost it--the George Floyd comment? Lawson's presence in DC? 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

As for Kelton, he has several employees (while Chad seemed to hire his BILs) and he is doing things like making commericals and being a major charitable donor (of an anti-abortion charity, which was a good reminder how awful their views are) and he hosts employee dinners, etc. We are  Kelton make lots of business related moves that Chad didn't, so while it is still assumptions, it is one based on evidence. 

Another view:  Kelton has more expenses, and needs to drum up business (ie, doesn't get enough referrals).

I guess my point is, you really can't know unless you see their books.

• Upvote 1

@Jackie3, you make a good point. The spend money to make money adage is drilled into a lot of people but sometimes theyre just spending and not making.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Another view:  Kelton has more expenses, and needs to drum up business (ie, doesn't get enough referrals).

I guess my point is, you really can't know unless you see their books.

On the flip side…Kelton is the one most likely to be making good money. I rarely *need* a new dress or hair clip, but when the toilet won’t flush a plumber is a necessity. When they do Q+A’s his financial advice is pretty solid.

• Upvote 4

The moves like charitable donations and their program of offering free services to people in need and even the company dinners seem like the kind of moves accountants suggest to reduce taxes. Nice deductions. 

And as someone else said, plumbing is an essential service..I have never wanted to hire a plumber but I have had to on a few occasions. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

(As posted on the previous page while debating the relationship between Kelton and his dad) His dad owns an accounting software and consulting firm, so chances are he knows what to look out for and that Kelton would listen to said advice.

• Upvote 7

23 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

His business is also a franchise of a successful company with multiple franchises in Tennessee. 

I want to say Kelton has also been on the local news regarding plumbing related issues.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dawn9476 said:

I want to say Kelton has also been on the local news regarding plumbing related issues.

Wasn't that mentioned on the show? 

Josie took her girls to play at Tori’s house and I can’t believe they have a big trampoline without a net in the back yard. She has two toddlers, a baby, and is pregnant. Does she care nothing about safety? This is a huge peeve of mine because I grew up on trampolines without nets and I can’t tell you how many injuries I witnessed. It was a fucking lot. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 4

I never seen fundies and safety in the same sentence, there is usually a no or don't care somewhere in the middle.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Josie took her girls to play at Tori’s house and I can’t believe they have a big trampoline without a net in the back yard. She has two toddlers, a baby, and is pregnant. Does she care nothing about safety? This is a huge peeve of mine because I grew up on trampolines without nets and I can’t tell you how many injuries I witnessed. It was a fucking lot. 

Not only is it not safe, but I can't imagine not having a net with toddlers because it made such a great toddler cage. I could put my little girl in there all by herself and she could crawl around and bounce while I relaxed.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Not only is it not safe, but I can't imagine not having a net with toddlers because it made such a great toddler cage. I could put my little girl in there all by herself and she could crawl around and bounce while I relaxed.

Even our very small trampoline has a net. It’s surprising one of the older Smith boys haven’t broken a bone on it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

I mean, the whole show intro was a net less trampoline jump 😂 I think the Bates has a couple growing up.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

The Bates always seemed to view safety as something not to worry too much about. Not that long ago they were shown using a trampoline that had a hole in it. 

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

The Bates always seemed to view safety as something not to worry too much about. Not that long ago they were shown using a trampoline that had a hole in it. 

TBF when you have 19 kids, one dying isn't a big deal /sarcasm.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

I freaking loved trampolines as a kid, but I darn near broke my ankle on one. They are pretty dangerous. We have a few (or had, idk with covid) a few trampoline parks nearby and those are awesome but set so only one person bounces on a section at a time.

• Upvote 5

Josie posted stories from.the big house and there were TWO netless trampolines. And she had a video of Hazel, Holland and Kolter bouncing. None of them are 3 yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Josie posted stories from.the big house and there were TWO netless trampolines. And she had a video of Hazel, Holland and Kolter bouncing. None of them are 3 yet. 

I had a nettles trampoline growing up, as long as an adult was watching them I think there fine

• Downvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic