IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

4 hours ago, raayx01 said:

I had a nettles trampoline growing up, as long as an adult was watching them I think there fine

Unfortunately, watching them doesn't avoid accidents. Jumping makes them move too fast. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Unfortunately, watching them doesn't avoid accidents. Jumping makes them move too fast. 

I agree. Watching doesn’t matter. They bounce off way too fast. Plus you are much more likely to be hurt if multiple people are bouncing at once instead of a one person limit. The Bateses seem to allow as many as possible on trampolines. I’m sure there have been broken bones on trampolines at some point but they never learn anything it seems. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I agree. We had kids over yesterday for a party and they were on the trampoline (we enforce how many can be on there at once) and they defintirly hit the net a few times. 

• Upvote 2

I swear I just watched Josie’s video of all the kids sitting on a trampoline listening to her little brother talk. In the background, you can see her other little brother climbing the tree and getting onto the basketball hoop. Then the video stops. You can tell he was going to jump from the basketball hoop onto the other trampoline. These people are insane. 

I circled his foot stepping down on the hoop. Then the video was cut off. 

3A21115A-8575-4019-B6CE-A3788ACB4C2F.jpeg

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I swear I just watched Josie’s video of all the kids sitting on a trampoline listening to her little brother talk. In the background, you can see her other little brother climbing the tree and getting onto the basketball hoop. Then the video stops. You can tell he was going to jump from the basketball hoop onto the other trampoline. These people are insane. 

I circled his foot stepping down on the hoop. Then the video was cut off. 

3A21115A-8575-4019-B6CE-A3788ACB4C2F.jpeg

Not to mention the trampoline cover is torn and ripped at the ends, that can't be a good thing. Don't these trampolines have a weight limit?

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

Not to mention the trampoline cover is torn and ripped at the ends, that can't be a good thing. Don't these trampolines have a weight limit?

Ours is around 400 lbs. I limit the number of kids for safety reasons not weight. The Bates kids run small, so I doubt the 7 combined hit that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I used to babysit two girls and they had a trampoline with a net, but it was still scary how high one can jump on those things! I felt more at ease when they were jumping one at a time. 

• Upvote 3

I have a family member who didn’t want to get his kids a trampoline because he was a doctor and saw too many injuries from them. But he finally relented and it definitely had a net.

• Upvote 5

Yeah, as a healthcare worker, I will not be getting my kids a trampoline either, haha. And will also make them wear helmets while sledding/tobogganing 😬

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

The problem is the Bates have probably never watched AFV. 😂 That show cured my kids of ever wanting a trampoline.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone watched the videos in Josie’s Instagram stories where Kelton grills those ginormous slabs of meat? I was curious as to how much that meat costs these days. My husband does most of our cooking and grilling, but he doesn’t grill anything that huge, so I really have no concept of the expense.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Has anyone watched the videos in Josie’s Instagram stories where Kelton grills those ginormous slabs of meat? I was curious as to how much that meat costs these days. My husband does most of our cooking and grilling, but he doesn’t grill anything that huge, so I really have no concept of the expense.

They might buy it in bulk. If you buy it in bulk from one cow and freeze it all, it’s cheaper. 

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

It costs a lot. How long does that amount of food last? Did they take it to the big house? I wish I could  eat like them. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They might buy it in bulk. If you buy it in bulk from one cow and freeze it all, it’s cheaper. 

This is what we do. 

30 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

It costs a lot. How long does that amount of food last? Did they take it to the big house? I wish I could  eat like them. 

If I cook up a brisket, it usually lasts a few meals. I'll use the leftovers for sandwiches. 

• Upvote 1

I agree, they always seem to cook large amounts of food.  Perhaps they enjoy leftovers and not having to cook every night, or maybe they invite friends or family over after church on Sundays?

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, 0 kids n not countin said:

I agree, they always seem to cook large amounts of food.  Perhaps they enjoy leftovers and not having to cook every night, or maybe they invite friends or family over after church on Sundays?

I wasn’t trying to imply that they waste food; it just seems that’s the way Kelton prefers to grill. Now that I ponder it, if Instagram is how they make money, are the costs associated with their videos business expenses?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JDuggs said:

I wasn’t trying to imply that they waste food; it just seems that’s the way Kelton prefers to grill. Now that I ponder it, if Instagram is how they make money, are the costs associated with their videos business expenses?

It makes sense to me though..Kelton is getting up at 4 a.m to smoke his meat, staying up late preparing etc. I would want to make it with ti and then use leftovers instead of making enough for one meal. 

They have definitely done promotions for butcher box before, so that could also be a facgor.

• Upvote 8

On 5/29/2022 at 12:40 AM, raayx01 said:

I had a nettles trampoline growing up, as long as an adult was watching them I think there fine

I broke my ankle, badly, on a trampoline more than 40 years ago. I have had long term problems because of that. Foot, ankle, leg, hip.

I'm not intending to call you out, just counter you anecdote with mine. I think trampolines, net or no, are not worth the risk, even though they are really really  fun.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I've never seen a netless trampoline (except those tiny ones for 1 person) here in Canada. I bet they're illegal here but am too lazy to Google it.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Sorry if my comment made you think that, I didn't mean that at all. Just speculating on why they always film him cooking a lot of food.

• Upvote 3

I bet he just likes to cook once or twice a week and does a lot. I generally do that when I'm grilling and we'll just make sides the rest of the week. Particularly good is making two value packs of chicken thighs into BBQ chicken (not real BBQ, just grilled with the sauce caramelized on). I debone and cut up one pack and make chicken salad with it that lasts the week.

I need a new grill and I am so envious of Kelton's even though I don't know anything about it.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I've never seen a netless trampoline (except those tiny ones for 1 person) here in Canada. I bet they're illegal here but am too lazy to Google it.

When I was a kid, it was extremely common to buy them without a net even offered. Nowadays, nets usually come with them. However nets get torn up and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had such old trampolines that the nets are long since destroyed. Most people would buy a new net if theirs ripped. But not the Bateses! Those trampolines look like they are falling apart. Under those faded and ripped spring covers are probably some very rusty springs ready to break with one big bounce. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

We received a big rectangular trampoline in 1970 for Christmas, when I was 5. At first I was only allowed on it if someone was right there watching, and I had strict rules to follow. Later, I was allowed to go out alone, but I still followed certain rules about the way they expected me to jump, which little tricks I could try and not try, etc. I was an obedient kid. At night, sometimes my brothers would sleep on it, and later I did a time or two, as well. We lived in a rural town, and had a huge yard, and the expanse of sky over our heads was sheerly amazing. Other times I'd sit under it in the shade and read books or have a picnic. 

When I was 13, I had a skateboarding accident that weakened my back for about 20 years, and I stopped using the trampoline, so my parents sold it to another family. My brothers were adults by then. 

When I first saw a trampoline with a net, some years later, it struck me as a very good idea, and it seems obviously the correct thing to do now. Many aspects of life are safer now, and sometimes just plain more sensible. We can enjoy our memories while being glad of the improvements. 

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I have. But I am a rural country girl and most people I grew up take safety as serious as the Bates do. 

I have also seen car batteries in power wheels. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I was a kid, it was extremely common to buy them without a net even offered. Nowadays, nets usually come with them. However nets get torn up and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had such old trampolines that the nets are long since destroyed. Most people would buy a new net if theirs ripped. But not the Bateses! Those trampolines look like they are falling apart. Under those faded and ripped spring covers are probably some very rusty springs ready to break with one big bounce. 

Our trampoline is only 1 1/2 years old. The net never fit right. The kids and I were in it when riiipppp the trampoline tore from the springs holding it to the frame. The company said sorry, warranty 1 year only and they don't carry that brand any more. So they probably did us a favor we have to throw it out.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic