IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

Surprised to open this thread and learn the baby has arrived.Thanks, Jilly O, for the link.

I would not want to saddle my son with a name like Willard Dillard or Dilbert Dillard. And maybe next time she’ll have a girl. 

There’d been some discussion that the Dillards were trying to name their kids so each first initial spelled out I s r e a l. The Frederick name puts those theories to rest.

Maybe Jill appreciated a c section a couple weeks earlier than planned due to the hot summer weather. 

Freddy was born five days ago and may already no longer need the oxygen and feeding tubes; he was a nice size baby.

6 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Is it significant that they didn't do a fancy exclusive photo shoot? Might they just want normalcy? Or maybe it will be still to come? Glad he arrived safely and they are doing well.

Derick might not want the extra attention due the new job.

5 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Now she's settled, has done therapy, looks happy, husband has a degree and a real job... Maybe having a shower is a way to enjoy now what she couldn't enjoy with the elder kids. 

I totally agree. Plus, was the shower given at her new home? If so, it may have been a way to have a housewarming gathering, to welcome the women folk family and friends to see the Dillard’s new digs as well as indirectly celebrate several other new beginnings for them. Quite a lot going on in their lives. 

6 hours ago, indianabones said:

I hope that Fenna will still be in the picture even with the new baby. It's so common for people to surrender pets once they bring their baby home and realize how much less time they have for them.

If Fenna is a dog, it’d be rather traumatic for the older boys to have to give it up for a newborn brother.   Could create issues. Plenty of families don’t mind the additional chaos.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

I like Frederick, it’s a cute name, but I do feel like Jill should have had one of the names named after her. Baby is basically OfDerick DericksMiddleName DericksSurname. 

But Jill doesn’t want to be associated with the Duggar name (fair), and Jill might be a hard name to find a masculine version of. 

Baby Jello? Hmm. William perhaps? 

Michael could also be for Michelle, which is Jills middle name.

• Upvote 2

I’m surprised it’s not Frederick Richard. I guess Rick Rich right next to each other sounds redundant. My son’s first best friend was named Freddie. It was a name that fit him well. 

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

After 2 kids, their stroller is probably miserable if not broken, especially if they had to fold it up every day. 500 is not too expensive for a good quality stroller. 

I had a stroller really similar to that one (definitely a bob - not sure of the model etc). But that thing was still in amazing shape when my kid decided he was too big for strollers (around age 5) and I gave it to a friend to use with her kiddos. I think she used it for a year or so before she needed a double stroller - but I used it ALL the time (not just for jogging) and it was in great shape. And probably still is, honestly.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m surprised it’s not Frederick Richard. I guess Rick Rich right next to each other sounds redundant. My son’s first best friend was named Freddie. It was a name that fit him well. 

When I taught school for a brief period I had a very delightful boy in class named Frederick, named after his father.  Dad went by Fred and son went by Ricky.  So if Jill and Derick decide at some point to call Frederick "Ricky", or even if Frederick himself decides it someday, it would be a loving tribute to Derick's dad Richard.

I still remember when people were guessing names for Israel and Richard James, for both grandfathers, kept coming up as a suggestion.  People were hoping for that so they could refer to the baby as "Rick James", of course the irony being they probably would have been clueless as to who Rick James was.    

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 1

Funnily enough, I have a family member named Rick who was named after a family member named Frederick. 

• Upvote 4

I know several couples who have named their third son after the father. My own brother did this. So FreDERICK is named for daddy and his late GF. Also a nod to Derick with Michael as a middle name. Really it is a nice name.

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2

Not really liking Frederick, but as far as not being an "out there" name it's ok. They have meaning behind it and they like it, that's all that counts. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

Frederick hasn’t been in the top 100 boys names in the US since 1957. It’s currently hanging out in the 400s. It could be one of those old man names that will start trending up. It’s apparently much more popular in the UK according to a list I saw (Freddie at 13 and Frederick at 63).

I’ve only known a few Freds in my life. Two who were my age (50s) with much closer cultural ties to Europe than most of the people I’d be in contact with and one who was 25 years older than me from Mississippi.

I think it’s an okay name (Freddy is cute), but I don’t think it goes well with Israel and Sam.  But I do prefer old names to super trendy names so I think it’s an overall solid choice.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, fundiefan said:

They are asking for $36 sleepers and a $500 stroller. For their third kid. WTF?

In her defense, the stroller isn't that out of line. It's a BOB, which is a great jogging and all-terrain stroller. Sure there are cheaper strollers out there but it seems like they tend to live a bit of an outdoor lifestyle and IMO that is one of the more practical stroller options she could have picked. Hell, I'm not even a runner but I love my BOB for even just walks around our neighborhood or on trips when I know I'm going to be walking on a lot of uneven surfaces. Full disclosure I'm all about whatever baby items make life easy, as long as you can afford it, so my BOB is one of 4 of my strollers that all serve a different purpose. 

Now I will admit I'm not about baby showers for additional kids. I made sure to pick items for my first that would be excellent quality and stand up to future kids. I personally wouldn't have had a shower. I did make a registry for my second kid, but didn't share it with anyone, it was just for myself so I could get the 20% off "completion discount". Still I had a few close family and friends who searched my name, found it, and sent me stuff. 

• Upvote 7

I also think it’s telling to Jill’s journey that she didn’t choose a super religious name again. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 13

I had a baby shower for #3. We had moved out of state and gotten rid of pretty much ALL baby/toddler stuff before we moved. 

Jill may have done the same thing, thinking that there either weren't going to be any more or knowing that the next baby would be a while down the road. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

There are 7 years between my oldest two and the youngest.  After my second was born, I was positive I didn’t want any more kids. We gave away all the baby stuff and moved twice in between. I didn’t have any baby stuff at all except the few special sleepers I’d put away as keepsakes.  We started from scratch when our youngest was born.  We were in a different stage of life at that point though, and didn’t need or want a shower as I knew what I liked and we were able to afford it. 
I can understand a shower if there’s a decent gap between kids though. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6

Unless I’m being invited to these multiple baby showers, I don’t really care how many people have. Lots of different customs in different cultures and it’s not my place to judge. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

49 minutes ago, viii said:

I also think it’s telling to Jill’s journey that she didn’t choose a super religious name again. 

Same, though I have to admit I'm a little disappointed they didn't use Ezekiel or Ezra so they could have an Izzy and Ezzy along the lines of Jana/JoyAnna/Johannah or Evy/Ivy/Evie. 

• Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 5

I would have loved Ezekiel “Zeke.” Why I like the sound of Zeke, Zach and Zane so much better than Carlin’s Zade, I don’t know. Maybe just more familiar.

34 minutes ago, caitrona said:

Same, though I have to admit I'm a little disappointed they didn't use Ezekiel or Ezra so they could have an Izzy and Ezzy along the lines of Jana/JoyAnna/Johannah or Evy/Ivy/Evie. 

or Joseph, Josiah and Josie.

• Upvote 4

Awful name.  Freddy Dillard sounds like a red-faced goober-eating kid in a back alley.

• Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Bless Your Heart 5
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 6

12 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Awful name.  Freddy Dillard sounds like a red-faced goober-eating kid in a back alley.

It’s so interesting how names appear in different countries. I see many of the posts on this site of names given to children in , predominantly,USA and think WTF are their  parents thinking , they’re setting them up to fail or be bullied . I pause , reflect , of course they’re thinking how trendy or godly they can appear and of course what sounds strange to my ears may be ordinary to others. 

The Frederick Michael name if you take away this whole post they put up about godly meaning rubbish ( all fundies  spout it to prove the name has “ meaning” to their deity).seems very sensible to my non USA ears.

It can be shortened easily , be cute for a small child , will suit an adult later in life ( noooo, double noooo, to those parents who give their kids three hyphenated cutsie names-   they will be 70 plus at some point hopefully) very on trend outside of USA, wouldn’t upset older generations of family . It could , and in fact has, been used in European royal families in separate parts,  The kid could have an international career! 

BUT I  don’t live in USA unlike this little one so I don’t know how names work there . Hoping the child has a healthy , happy , life  with the opportunity to explore and experience different ideas and cultures. 

• Upvote 16
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 2

Names are so interesting. I think Frederick is far nicer than names like Huxton or Braxton or Haizlee. 

• Upvote 16
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 21

Not too awfully long ago, Fred (and variations) was a very popular name.  My husband’s family has a bunch of Freds, to the point we have to pinpoint who we are talking about (cousin Fred, Fred Jr., Fred X…).  I have a couple in my family tree, as well, so it’s not so unusual to us.  

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

At least Freddy won't have to meet Uncle Josh until he is an adult.

Josh or Freddy? 

(Fred will be 10 when Josh is released. Date is 8/12/32)

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic