IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

I knew of a Daniel Daniels. The family owned a furniture store and would say their names on commercials. I always cringed when I heard that name. 

I went to school with a kid whose father's name was James James. He shortened his original last name, I guess for professional reasons/easier to say. My classmate's name was also James but he had the original last name still, so it was alliterative but not repetitive!

7 hours ago, Meggo said:

I know a Pete Peters. 

I knew a Pete Peterson. But it turned out Pete was a nickname for an entirely different name. 

I had a tutor called William S C W Williams. All those potential middle names, and he stuck with William. He did go by Bill, so that’s something, I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I knew a Steve Stevenson. I couldn’t believe his parents chose that. If my parents had done that to me, I would have gone by a middle name instead. So if I was Steven John Stevenson, I would go by John.

Congratulations Fredrick Dillard, for not having to meet your Uncle Josh for years, if ever.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 3

My mom was friends with a woman who’s husband was named David David.

11 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Auto dealership near me: https://www.fredfrederick.com/

Sadly located in Laurel, Maryland, rather than a bit farther north in Frederick, Maryland.

I got married in Frederick or as others call it Fredneck. 

• Upvote 1

A guy who won American Idol some years ago is named Phillip Phillips. I knew of a professor in the college I worked whose first name was Rose, she married a Mr. Rose and yes, she took his name.

Same first name and surname is not uncommon among Muslims. The assassin of Robert F. Kennedy is Sirhan Sirhan ( still alive in prison). There were several similar incidents of this naming pattern in the college where I worked. One employee  named Ibrahim Ibrahim comes to mind. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Baba O'Riley said:

Same first name and surname is not uncommon among Muslims. The assassin of Robert F. Kennedy is Sirhan Sirhan ( still alive in prison). There were several similar incidents of this naming pattern in the college where I worked. One employee  named Ibrahim Ibrahim comes to mind. 

I feel like this is quite common among the Welsh as well, eg William Williams, Evan Evans, Thomas Thomas, Morgan Morgan. I guess there are some naming traditions where this is not regarded as strange, particularly when the function is to indicate who the individual is in other ways than giving them a unique name - eg if traditionally people take their father's first name as their own surname etc. I suppose at a stretch you also have John Jones, Hywel Powell/Hugh Pugh etc.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

I feel like this is quite common among the Welsh as well, eg William Williams, Evan Evans, Thomas Thomas, Morgan Morgan. I guess there are some naming traditions where this is not regarded as strange, particularly when the function is to indicate who the individual is in other ways than giving them a unique name - eg if traditionally people take their father's first name as their own surname etc. I suppose at a stretch you also have John Jones, Hywel Powell/Hugh Pugh etc.

This is common in Wales. I know a William Williams. The beginning of the book Fall of Giants explains it well. People would have nicknames to distinguish between the many John Jones and William Williamses. For example John Jones the Shop. 

• Upvote 5

Jill’s changing table looks safer from a different angle. And it’s a popular model that’s still being sold, so I’ll assume it’s up to code. I was thinking that Jill was possibly using some really old hand me down.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9f0865fee652f080a1972f106221f0cf.png

• Thank You 2

On 7/28/2022 at 10:34 AM, Baba O'Riley said:

A guy who won American Idol some years ago is named Phillip Phillips. I knew of a professor in the college I worked whose first name was Rose, she married a Mr. Rose and yes, she took his name.

I think it's more of a cultural thing? Sirhan Sirhan is an Arabic Christian. For Muslims we have the "ibn/bin" (son of) and "binti" (daughter of) as our naming system. Like Osama bin Laden means Osama son of Laden. Depends on the culture, usually surname is not a thing and the "ibn/bin/binti" is not part of your legal name. But due to the International rule like for passport, it's not rare for people to use their name as their surname. So Ibrahim Ibrahim could be his name is just Ibrahim, has no surname, and used his name as surname. To curb such thing, our government recently made a rule that kids can't have just a first name, it has to include middle and last name too. Heck, I have first, middle, and last name, but my last name is not a surname. While in legal documents the "binti *add my dad's name here*" is not included, I will definitely be buried with that written on my tombstone. 😂😂😂

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 11

On 7/29/2022 at 2:43 PM, arareyeah said:

I think it's more of a cultural thing? Sirhan Sirhan is an Arabic Christian. 

Oops! Sorry for identifying him as a Muslim.  I should have looked it up before I posted. 🙁 I was a young teen when RFK was killed (I stood on line outside of St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC for 7 hours on a hot June day to pay my respects), so I was relying on my memory of 54 years ago.  Thank you for that info on why some cultures may have the same name for first and surname. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Baba O'Riley said:

Oops! Sorry for identifying him as a Muslim.  I should have looked it up before I posted. 🙁 I was a young teen when RFK was killed (I stood on line outside of St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC for 7 hours on a hot June day to pay my respects), so I was relying on my memory of 54 years ago.  Thank you for that info on why some cultures may have the same name for first and surname. 

No worries! It can be confusing due to cultural difference, even in countries with similar cultural roots. 

If we're following Arabic/Islamic naming convention, baby Frederick Dillard will be Frederick bin Derick bin Rick and it's pretty funny to me.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

@arareyeah I‘m curious to learn how does/did this work having no surname? Was/is the naming convention like you described above for Frederick: Frederick bin Derick and for Jill it would be Jill bint JimBob? Does this mean families don‘t have a shared name? And is this the case all over Indonesia or just in the islamic parts of the country? 

Edited by Smash!

My experience with Muslim and Middle Eastern last names is that, yes, families often have different last names. Sometimes the family will take something on, maybe named after their hometown or a famous ancestor or something they've done, but sometimes they pick something else. Sometimes for legal purposes they just give the children the father's last name. I work at an elementary school with a fair number of Muslim students, there's really a lot of variety. 

And honestly, what they do isn't that different than what Europeans used to do until last names were required by governments for documentary purposes. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

[mention=31757]arareyeah[/mention] I‘m curious to learn how does/did this work having no surname? Was/is the naming convention like you described above for Frederick: Frederick bin Derick and for Jill it would be Jill bint JimBob? Does this mean families don‘t have a shared name? And is this the case all over Indonesia or just in the islamic parts of the country? 

Some Nordic counties are like that. in Iceland they take the fathers first name and add Dottir ( for females ) or Son ( for males )at the end. So the whole family could have different last names.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

The Welsh habit of Evan Evan, Thomas Thomas etc is a shortened version, its taken out the "Ap" which means son of. So it should read as Evan Ap Evan, Thomas Ap Thomas etc. Its the same as the Scottish Mac or the Irish Mc. The idea of having one family name came about in the 18th C, when documentation and movement became prevalent. 

Interesting and also frustrating! We can go no further back than 1702 where we have Thomas O' R' Forlan, due to the whole taking the Fathers name, which of course changes every generation. 

We also have Jones marrying Jones, but no relation! My Aunt was born a Wright and she married a Wright, but again no relation! 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I’ve heard of a Neville Neville. 

I also once met a girl whose first name was the same as her surname, with an extra letter in front. 

• Rufus Bless 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic