IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

2 minutes ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Or Brandyn, or Jaydyn, or extra Ys that don’t really belong anywhere!

B-b-b-Bobye

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Derick's father went by Rick. Rick and Cathy named Derick (De-rick) after him and now Frederick (Fre-derick) is after Derick and Rick. Then they added a middle name which is Derick's middle name and the masculine form of Jill's middle name. 

On the plus side, Fred and Freddie are distinctive nicknames. It's not like having Bill and Will in the same house. It's not a biblical name, which originally was their theme. 

Two associations with the name Fred- Fred Weasley and Fred Mertz. 

The classism that goes along with names isn't cute or funny or endearing. @usedbicycle has made good points about it in the past. 

23 hours ago, WannabeHistorian said:

Let's take a moment to appreciate the evolution of Jill and Derick's name tastes. First is Israel, an extremely fundie name that clearly broadcasts to the world his parents' beliefs. Next we have Samuel, a generic biblical name that is somewhat dated now but wouldn't raise an eyebrow anywhere. And now Frederick, a completely mainstream name that is classic and storied. Kudos D&J, I think I have a new favorite for Gen 3 Duggar names.

Actually, Samuel isn't dated imo. It's in the top 30, and it's more popular now than it was when I was born.

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 3
  • I Agree 2

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Speaking of tastes evolving. Jessa’s evolution seems to show her possible regret in going over the top fundie with her first. I get the same feeling with the parents of Heistheway. Watch out for those first fundie babies. They will have quite a name. 

I also always thought that Anna regretted going in the Mackynzie route, but then she made some weird spelling with Maryella and Madyson as well. Still, it could be to make Mac not feel left out with the only butchered name in the family.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I also always thought that Anna regretted going in the Mackynzie route

I remember about 25 years ago the first time someone told me this was the name of their child. For some reason, I asked how it was spelled. They said M’Kenzi. That’s why I remember it. I thought to myself, “This poor kid will have to learn how to spell their name with an apostrophe in it.” I just thought it was the dumbest thing. I mean, we’d all heard of Mackenzie Phillips, but at least where I lived, the name didn’t start being popular until a couple decades after she got famous. I have a name that I’m often asked to spell when leaving my name anywhere. I would not want to have to say , “M apostrophe capital K e n z i” my whole life.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I also always thought that Anna regretted going in the Mackynzie route, but then she made some weird spelling with Maryella and Madyson as well. Still, it could be to make Mac not feel left out with the only butchered name in the family.

IIRC, Josh said he had a cousin named Makynzie (spelled somehow or other) and liked the name, so that's what they he chose.

• I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Cam said:

I remember about 25 years ago the first time someone told me this was the name of their child. For some reason, I asked how it was spelled. They said M’Kenzi. That’s why I remember it. I thought to myself, “This poor kid will have to learn how to spell their name with an apostrophe in it.” I just thought it was the dumbest thing. I mean, we’d all heard of Mackenzie Phillips, but at least where I lived, the name didn’t start being popular until a couple decades after she got famous. I have a name that I’m often asked to spell when leaving my name anywhere. I would not want to have to say , “M apostrophe capital K e n z i” my whole life.

Can confirm the apostrophe being a forever PITA. Um, we don’t have anyone with that name. Did you try with an apostrophe between the first and second letters? Still nothing. Try Capital-apostrophe-Capital letter. Oh, there it is. Me :sighs: every.darn.time. And now that most online forums do not support an apostrophe…double Ugg. My last name has an apostrophe so now in the digital world my last name has been changed? Wonder what government websites are going to do when I try to sign up for my services at age 65  (rapidly coming)? Nope, you do not exist? Did you change your name?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

On 7/12/2022 at 9:55 PM, Cam said:

On the radio today, one dj was asking another what his preference between two names were. I forget the first one (Hailee?) but the second one was Kaylor.

Blech

Kaylor is the “ship” name for Taylor Swift and Karlie allows. Very not fundie approved!

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.49aca6b4ec7fc0c1a553f955e288790b.png

Jill posted a photo of Freddy. He’s a cutie but his crib or bassinet doesn’t look like it meets safety standards.

• I Agree 2

13 minutes ago, JDuggs said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.49aca6b4ec7fc0c1a553f955e288790b.png

Jill posted a photo of Freddy. He’s a cutie but his crib or bassinet doesn’t look like it meets safety standards.

It's a changing table, not a bed for sleeping.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Grace said:

It's a changing table, not a bed for sleeping.

Oh okay. I really couldn’t figure out what it was. As long as he’s not left on it unattended. His head looks like it could easily fit between those bars.

• Upvote 3

On 7/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, JDuggs said:

Frederick hasn’t been in the top 100 boys names in the US since 1957. It’s currently hanging out in the 400s. It could be one of those old man names that will start trending up. It’s apparently much more popular in the UK according to a list I saw (Freddie at 13 and Frederick at 63).

I’ve only known a few Freds in my life. Two who were my age (50s) with much closer cultural ties to Europe than most of the people I’d be in contact with and one who was 25 years older than me from Mississippi.

I think it’s an okay name (Freddy is cute), but I don’t think it goes well with Israel and Sam.  But I do prefer old names to super trendy names so I think it’s an overall solid choice.

gosh yes, it's very popular in the UK at the moment - as parent to a toddler I know lots of littles and it's a name that comes up a lot.

It wasn't at all a 'usual' name when I was at school, felt vaguely comically old-fashioned, but it's definitely more of a classic than other 'old man' names that have come back in lately. I'm really surprised it hasn't charted much in the US but I guess there the trend seems to be more toward Old Testament names or surnames-as-first-names, as a general rule, whereas in the UK we draw more on non-Biblical names eg Freddie, Louis, Oscar, Leo, Reggie, Arthur, George etc.

Anyway, glad Frederick Michael is here safe and I hope Jill gets to do it all exactly her own way this time round. This is her opportunity to have a baby outside of a cult, not on TV, not on a disastrous missionary placement far from home. She's had therapy, she's got a lovely new home, a husband in gainful employment, children in proper education... this is a whole new experience for her so I hope it's lovely.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 4

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Freddie Freeman as a popular Frederick. It’s who first popped into my head. Now assuming little Frederick wants to continue the tradition of Rick ~> Derick ~> Frederick what will the name be ? [emoji1787]

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Heidijoey said:

Now assuming little Frederick wants to continue the tradition of Rick ~> Derick ~> Frederick what will the name be ? emoji1787.png

Maverick 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6

15 hours ago, Heidijoey said:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Freddie Freeman as a popular Frederick. It’s who first popped into my head. Now assuming little Frederick wants to continue the tradition of Rick ~> Derick ~> Frederick what will the name be ? emoji1787.png

Ericka For a girl.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, viii said:

Five generations more:

1. Alfrederick

2. Malfrederick

3. Jamalfrederick

4. K’jamalfrederick

5. OK’jamalfrederick

(#5, Freddie’s great-great-great grandchild, honors the family’s Oklahoma connection—and would be the 8th generation Pistol Pete….)

Edited by sophrosyne
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

16 hours ago, Heidijoey said:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Freddie Freeman as a popular Frederick. It’s who first popped into my head. Now assuming little Frederick wants to continue the tradition of Rick ~> Derick ~> Frederick what will the name be ? emoji1787.png

Merrick, Bradrick, Roderick...

We actually had four generations in my family whose middle names all ended in -ay. I don't know if my parents intentionally broke it with me or if they hadn't noticed the pattern. My cousin is  an -ay, but her mom only kind of was. (Her mom's middle name was longer but she went by her first name and a shortened form of her middle name -ay.)

I graduated HS with a Frederick, III who went by Eric, his dad went by Rick. The Rick-Derick-Frederick thing didn't strike me as that strange likely due to that. And if little Frederick wants to maintain some form of that tradition someday, he could name a boy Eric. 

• Upvote 7

Am I the only one who keeps singing "Freddy My Love" from Grease?

I am enjoying the listings of all the popular Freds.

• Upvote 3

My grandfather worked with a guy whose actual name was Frederick Frederick.  We met him once at my grandparents' house when I was a kid.  All I remember about him was that he and his wife brought a beautiful cake from a well-known bakery and he asked my mother to smell it because the cake didn't smell right.  When she bent over to check it out, he promptly pushed her face into the cake.  Keep in mind none of us had ever met this man before.  My mother never forgot it and if we ever talked about the incident, she only referred to Mr. Frederick Frederick as "The Asshole".   

Double the Fred, double the fun...I guess.    

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 16
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

My grandfather worked with a guy whose actual name was Frederick Frederick.  We met him once at my grandparents' house when I was a kid.  All I remember about him was that he and his wife brought a beautiful cake from a well-known bakery and he asked my mother to smell it because the cake didn't smell right.  When she bent over to check it out, he promptly pushed her face into the cake.  Keep in mind none of us had ever met this man before.  My mother never forgot it and if we ever talked about the incident, she only referred to Mr. Frederick Frederick as "The Asshole".   

Double the Fred, double the fun...I guess.    

thanks for the giggle 

I can just hear your Mum referring to him as the asshole ba ha aha ha your poor Mum 

4 hours ago, Cam said:

I know of an Adam McAdam. His mother said that way he’d be remembered. 

There is a famous Australia murder case of a 14yo girl Leigh Leigh :( 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

thanks for the giggle 

I know, it isn't funny, but I couldn't help laughing at the image. A lot. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic