IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

Lots of good pop culture Freds and Freddies. Hilariously possibly only to me, the first two I thought of were Freddie Threepwood and Freddie Bobbsey. But there are plenty more; it's a solid entry. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

Josh or Freddy? 

(Fred will be 10 when Josh is released. Date is 8/12/32)

Freddy.  Isn't Josh not allowed to be around kids after he gets out for 20 years unless they are his own provided Anna is supervising?

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Lots of good pop culture Freds and Freddies. Hilariously possibly only to me, the first two I thought of were Freddie Threepwood and Freddie Bobbsey. But there are plenty more; it's a solid entry. 

Fred from Scooby-Doo and Freddie Mercury were my first thoughts 😁

• Upvote 3

On the radio today, one dj was asking another what his preference between two names were. I forget the first one (Hailee?) but the second one was Kaylor.

Blech

Edited by Cam

Yes, lots of good pop culture Freds, despite my brain first thinking of weird ones. 

I approve, Jill. I hope you grow as he does, in understanding personal autonomy and such. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Cam said:

On the radio today, one dj was asking another what his preference between two names were. I forget the first one (Hailee?) but the second one was Kaylor.

Blech

Kaylor? No. Right up there with Kolter.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, yeahthatsme74 said:

Fred from Scooby-Doo and Freddie Mercury were my first thoughts 😁

Fred Flintstone and Fred Trump were mine.  

I associate the name with men much older than I am, and I'm over 60.

On the positive side, they didn't name him Spurgeon or something otherwise bizarre and/or unspellable.

• Upvote 6

For me, Fred(dy) is an old-person name but over here oldfashioned names are very populair again. I have not seen Fred but it fits with the trend I do see.

• Upvote 5

Frederick is one of those timeless names that have existed since the dawn of man (just about) and never feels outdated to me. Any boy name ending in -rick means ruler of some kind. I'm surprised more fundies don't use -rick names given their worship of the all mighty phallus. 

Let's take a moment to appreciate the evolution of Jill and Derick's name tastes. First is Israel, an extremely fundie name that clearly broadcasts to the world his parents' beliefs. Next we have Samuel, a generic biblical name that is somewhat dated now but wouldn't raise an eyebrow anywhere. And now Frederick, a completely mainstream name that is classic and storied. Kudos D&J, I think I have a new favorite for Gen 3 Duggar names.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, WannabeHistorian said:

Let's take a moment to appreciate the evolution of Jill and Derick's name tastes. First is Israel, an extremely fundie name that clearly broadcasts to the world his parents' beliefs. Next we have Samuel, a generic biblical name that is somewhat dated now but wouldn't raise an eyebrow anywhere. And now Frederick, a completely mainstream name that is classic and storied. Kudos D&J, I think I have a new favorite for Gen 3 Duggar names.

If there’s a pattern, all first names of her sons contain three syllables. 

About 20 years ago, pentecostal co-worker of mine named her son Chancellor, calling him Chance for short. He had an equally long and pompous middle name but I forget what it was. After a horrific divorce and some personal epiphanies and evolution, she had a second son about 15 years later and simply named him Grey. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Freddy.  Isn't Josh not allowed to be around kids after he gets out for 20 years unless they are his own provided Anna is supervising?

The condition will most likely be that he can't have any unsupervised contact with anyone under the age of 18. So he could still be around the nieces and nephews, but it would have to be supervised contact. 

On the other side who knows how much contact Jill will have with that leg of the family in 10-12 years anyway so maybe Freddy will never meet Uncle Josh. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cam said:

About 20 years ago, pentecostal co-worker of mine named her son Chancellor, calling him Chance for short. He had an equally long and pompous middle name but I forget what it was. After a horrific divorce and some personal epiphanies and evolution, she had a second son about 15 years later and simply named him Grey. 

My newest grandchild expected in 8 to 12 weeks is to be named Grey. All three of his names will be one syllable, and I am not keen on the middle name, which would have been much better (I thought it was super cool!) with their original longer first name choice, but they do all sound okay together, otherwise. 

5 hours ago, Cam said:

Well, heck.  At the risk of here we go again . . .   I say both Samuel and Frederick with 2 syllables!! (I am from a Boston suburb.)

Edited by Satan'sFortress
me no spell
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Well, heck.  At the risk of here we go again . . .   I say both Samuel and Frederick with 2 syllables!! (I am from a Boston suburb.)

Personally, I'd say either Sam-u-el with three syllables or less frequently as Sam-uel with two, but tend to mostly think of Frederick as Fre-d'rick with an elided second and third syllable. Grew up all over the US and outside as well, so that's pretty non-specific!

I have a best friend who wanted to name her child Harrison, and loved the nickname Harry. I too thought it was super cute but paired with their last name the kid would have essentially been named "Harry Coochie". Their last name was not coochie - but so darn close it would have been years of ruthless teasing. They did name him Harrison, and thankfully the nickname just never came to fruition. 

I am super particular about baby names, and took great pains to make sure no name I picked would result in any funky nicknames, weird monograms, or overall just things that sounded strange.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Cam said:

Blech

Shhhh...... you'll give Tori and Bobby Ideas....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, WannabeHistorian said:

Agree that it's interesting to see their tastes evolve. This name is a definite step away from their old style, and makes me think that if they ever have a girl, they won't be using Selah. Disagree that Samuel is in any way dated-- in the US it's been as popular in the past decade as it was in the 1880s. Other than a slight dip in popularity in the 1950s/60s, Samuel has been pretty consistently used since the SSA has been tracking names.

• Upvote 7

My kids who are now in their 20s have tons of peers named Sam and Samantha, but I didn’t have any peers named Sam. I think in my very Christian area, it was considered a Jewish name, which is no longer the case.

• I Agree 1

Speaking of tastes evolving. Jessa’s evolution seems to show her possible regret in going over the top fundie with her first. I get the same feeling with the parents of Heistheway. Watch out for those first fundie babies. They will have quite a name. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Speaking of tastes evolving. Jessa’s evolution seems to show her possible regret in going over the top fundie with her first. I get the same feeling with the parents of Heistheway. Watch out for those first fundie babies. They will have quite a name. 

I wonder if Jessa ever looks backs and thinks, “Did I really let a 20 YO MANBOY name our first son”?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 22

On 7/12/2022 at 7:25 PM, viii said:

Names are so interesting. I think Frederick is far nicer than names like Huxton or Braxton or Haizlee. 

Or Brandyn, or Jaydyn, or extra Ys that don’t really belong anywhere!

• Haha 1
  • I Agree 10

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic