IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

23 hours ago, marmalade said:

How do you know her due date? She never announced anything more than just July 

and it's just july now.

and yet I am here wondering what is happening ? 

can we spice up this thread with something so can celebrate baby dillard #3

who got covid

CURRENTLY ME DAY 4 - my apt has never been so clean 

SO PISSED off - never leaving on a plane again.  Maui was wonderful but this is not worth it. 

so we need names.  

3 hours ago, jillsdopplerofdoom said:

The baby registry says 23rd July. If so then a scheduled c-section will probably be done this week, if not already and they're waiting to announce with an exclusive magazine deal.

https://www.amazon.com/baby-reg/294MZRVXENA4U?ref=br_search_v2_desktop_res_7

oh goody- i will be out of quarantine by then. 

Must go searching for a gift 

OMG 

• WTF 2

Does she need new stuff after two boys? I had thought the baby shower was for first kids only.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

@Father Son Holy Goat, I assume it was a mini-shower which given that her sons are 5 and 7, I can kind of understand. It may also have been something Amy really wanted to do after being shut out of bridal and baby shower activities for so many years. Having said that if Jill went crazy with big ticket items I would find that a little questionable. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I personally refused a shower for my second baby because we had everything. Well except a double stroller. But I hate being the center of attention so I didn’t want another. I just bought the double stroller myself after I had #2. I think people have a “sprinkle” after their first baby. There’s a fabulous scene on Schitts Creek about baby sprinkles. Google it. You won’t be disappointed. 

• Haha 1

Second Showers seem like a gift grab to me (I'm sure not all are). But then again I am torn its lovely to spoil and welcome all babies...I agree with the above poster that said if she was asking for big ticket items I would side eye (except maybe a car seat because her baby one, may have passed the expiry date). But that could reasonably be a pooled gift. 

I think second showers are ok after long baby breaks or new relationships where a new partners Mum/family may be happy to welcome a first grandchild or new partner into the family.

Or in Jill's case she has had a shitty time (court case, miscarriage) and its lovely to make her feel special and loved and supported. 

A lot of people do a "baby sprinkle" for subsequent babies, which I love it's basically little to no gifts but just getting together to celebrate the mumma (again) to be, spend time with her and make her feel special before she dives back into sleepless nights and shitty nappies, a good catch up before maybe not seeing her so regularly for a bit. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12

On 7/9/2022 at 2:54 AM, AussieKrissy said:

I’m still hoping she is having a planned c section at 37/38 weeks 

I dunno after a bombed vaginal and a bombed vbac book yourself in for a less exhausting c section. 

If it was me, it would depend on the reasons for the c-sections. With her 1st IIRCC it was the baby flipped to breech last minute. Same reason I had my 1st c-section. 2nd we don’t know the reason. I had 1 successful v-bac, 1 emergency c-section, and lastly one planned c-section. The v-bac was my easiest recovery by miles. The recovery after the 3rd c-section was awful ( apparently it’s not a zipper lol ) 

I had baby showers for all my kids. I think most people I know do. It’s a party for the mom and the baby. We also tend to do money dances at weddings. And many people wear jeans. So I know from long experience here that a lot of my family/friend group traditions are seen as tacky. But it’s always interesting to hear other ways of doing things

• Upvote 10
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

I had diaper showers for subsequent babies if people wanted to give things. That was a huge help. But it always felt a bit embarrassing otherwise.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I had diaper showers for subsequent babies if people wanted to give things. That was a huge help. But it always felt a bit embarrassing otherwise.

Same.

I have more than average number of children and friends had a shower for each one. But after baby #1, it was diapers and handmade items. For my last one, the friend who arranged it asked on the invite for people to bring food that could be stored in the freezer or pantry (long shelf life). 

It was the best shower ever. I had a glorious stash of both store-bought and homemade food and it was a huge help to our family.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 9

I also like giving a brand new book just for the second or third baby that has not already belonged to the oldest. While I'm the oldest of three I feel empathy for my brother who is the youngest of three and who even had hand me downs from his sisters!

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 4

I don't think it's that bad of a registry.  They may not have moved some of this stuff into their last house if they hadn't decided on another kid yet - passed down to relatives who were actively birthing.  It's safe to say any baby clothes in that family will get a LOT of use so I have no snark on good quality ones.

I didn't register for any clothing besides some slippers and a sun hat, but most people preferred to give us clothing (lots of thrift shop finds) instead of anything from the registry and I tell you truly that I will NEVER give baby clothing as a gift.  We ended up spending money on all the basics and I didn't get to pick out any outfits of our own for her til she was almost a year.  It was kindly meant, but overwhelming and guilt-inducing when she outgrew things before she could wear them.

• Upvote 6

Frederick “Freddy” Michael Dillard was born 7/7. They posted on their website: https://www.dillardfamily.com/2022/07/the-newest-member-of-our-family-has-just-arrived/

Sounds like they had scheduled a C-section (good for them!), but Jill went into labor before the scheduled date. He was still born via C/S. 

Glad to hear they were being smart about the birth and everyone appears to be happy and healthy. 

Edited by JillyO
  • Upvote 19
  • Thank You 29

And other baby on oxygen and what looks like a feeding tube. Sometimes babies born a little early can have issues. I really wish the Dillards could have an easy birth-

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I like Frederick, it’s a cute name, but I do feel like Jill should have had one of the names named after her. Baby is basically OfDerick DericksMiddleName DericksSurname. 

But Jill doesn’t want to be associated with the Duggar name (fair), and Jill might be a hard name to find a masculine version of. 

Baby Jello? Hmm. William perhaps? 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I like Frederick, it’s a cute name, but I do feel like Jill should have had one of the names named after her. Baby is basically OfDerick DericksMiddleName DericksSurname. 

But Jill doesn’t want to be associated with the Duggar name (fair), and Jill might be a hard name to find a masculine version of. 

Baby Jello? Hmm. William perhaps? 

Jill’s a tough name to masculinize, especially since they likely wouldn’t want a J name. Giles might be the closest, but it’s not really used in the U.S. 

Will or Bill would give them a rhyme, but it’s a stretch in terms of registering as after her name. 

Actually, it occurs to me that the middle name Michael happens to be the masculine version of Jill’s middle name, Michelle, so there’s that. 

• Upvote 19

Is it significant that they didn't do a fancy exclusive photo shoot? Might they just want normalcy? Or maybe it will be still to come? Glad he arrived safely and they are doing well.

• Upvote 4

I hope that Fenna will still be in the picture even with the new baby. It's so common for people to surrender pets once they bring their baby home and realize how much less time they have for them.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, fundiefan said:

They are asking for $36 sleepers and a $500 stroller. For their third kid. WTF?

After 2 kids, their stroller is probably miserable if not broken, especially if they had to fold it up every day. 500 is not too expensive for a good quality stroller. 

Jill was very stressed when she had Izzy (traumatic birth, molestation scandal, living in Central America etc). Then, Samuel was again a traumatic birth and I feel that Derick wasn't helpful with all his career changes and internet rage. 

Now she's settled, has done therapy, looks happy, husband has a degree and a real job... Maybe having a shower is a way to enjoy now what she couldn't enjoy with the elder kids. 

Edit to add that I saw the baby picture. He looks like Samuel. I hope Jill is fine and they can go home soon. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Add information
  • Upvote 29

3 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

Jill’s a tough name to masculinize, especially since they likely wouldn’t want a J name. Giles might be the closest, but it’s not really used in the U.S. 

Will or Bill would give them a rhyme, but it’s a stretch in terms of registering as after her name. 

Actually, it occurs to me that the middle name Michael happens to be the masculine version of Jill’s middle name, Michelle, so there’s that. 

They could name the next one Dilbert, Dill for short. Jennifer used to call Jill 'Dill' when she was little.

Dilbert Dillard.

Then again, Jill's probably trying to distance herself from her pickle loving past.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

Willard Dillard, nicknamed Will. 

Nah, I think William would have been nice as well. 

• Haha 3

I love the name Frederick - but then it was my dad’s name…

I can see with a couple of kids, house moves etc their baby stuff is probably a bit battered. And they have a completely different personnel at this baby shower- more of their own friends rather than just Duggar borg. 
Derick also started work recently- we had a young guy start with us last year whose wife had a baby a few months after he started - we collected a couple of hundred in donations just from our relatively small team. 

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, JillyO said:

Frederick “Freddy” Michael Dillard was born 7/7. They posted on their website: https://www.dillardfamily.com/2022/07/the-newest-member-of-our-family-has-just-arrived/

Sounds like they had scheduled a C-section (good for them!), but Jill went into labor before the scheduled date. He was still born via C/S. 

Glad to hear they were being smart about the birth and everyone appears to be happy and healthy. 

Love the name!!!

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic