IGNORED

Dillards 91: Increments of Change or Not?

samurai_sarah

13 hours ago, Smash! said:

@arareyeah I‘m curious to learn how does/did this work having no surname? Was/is the naming convention like you described above for Frederick: Frederick bin Derick and for Jill it would be Jill bint JimBob? Does this mean families don‘t have a shared name? And is this the case all over Indonesia or just in the islamic parts of the country? 

Majority of us regardless of religious background don't have surname. So yeah, most families don't have a shared name.

It's pretty common for parents to use the dad's name as their kid's last name. Like Frederick Derick, or Jill JimBob. Some people keep their dad's last name to use as family name if they choose to do so. Say, Jedidiah is Jedidiah JimBob, so he named his kid Truett JimBob and from there every single descendant from Jedidiah bloodline probably will use JimBob as their last name. But the key here is IF they choose to. Some parents also made up a name to start using as family name. 

We have a lot of different ethnic groups too, so this plays a part. Like people of Batak ethnic group from South Sumatra has clan name. They have ethnic specific rules too, like you can't marry anyone with the same clan name. Sometimes you can tell someone's ethnic group based on their name/last name alone. Like Javanese people from Central & East Java usually has name ended with "o". Our president Joko Widodo as example, with Joko being a very Javanese specific name. 

People who has actual surname here is usually a descendant of Chinese, Indian, Arab or European immigrants/interracial marriage.

I think using the bin/bint naming convention as legal name is more common in Malaysia. So you'll find Frederick bin Derick and Jill bint JimBob as someone's fullname there.

Honestly the naming here is a mess. You'll find someone named Christian Hitler (yes, from Adolf Hitler) or Muhammad Trump not because their parents is a fan, but because their parents think it's a "famous foreigner name".

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 20

2 hours ago, Freejin said:

Does anyone know if the Dillards are the only ones out of all the Duggar and Bates kids who don’t homeschool?

Thus far, yes, but many of the next generation are babies and toddlers still, so that might change. Speculation is the Vuolo's may consider private school, but I think that's all it is: speculation. 

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Thus far, yes, but many of the next generation are babies and toddlers still, so that might change. Speculation is the Vuolo's may consider private school, but I think that's all it is: speculation. 

Katie Bates-Clark will probably send her eventual kids to her ILs private Christian school 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

It was discussed over in the Jinjer thread that Grace Church is starting up a hybrid school/homeschool model. If the Vuolos are still around there when Felicity starts school, I think the church would strongly suggest that they participate. And I think they probably would be very happy with that set up. It gives something to both the school and the homeschool supporters and it makes them allies of both sides.

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Katie Bates-Clark will probably send her eventual kids to her ILs private Christian school 

Yes, the Clark cult school. I doubt it’s much better than a homeschool education. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

I could see the Balkas doing religious based, institutional schooling. Next to the Dillards, they seem the closest to living in our world. A world where the day is 24 hours long, adults need to work to support their families and children deserve nurturing, attentive parents.

• Upvote 11

24 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I could see the Balkas doing religious based, institutional schooling. Next to the Dillards, they seem the closest to living in our world. A world where the day is 24 hours long, adults need to work to support their families and children deserve nurturing, attentive parents.

I thought that too, but then I saw that Kelton’s family was deep into homeschooling even after Kelton’s mom died. I’m not sure if Kelton’s dad continued homeschooling all of his kids through high school. But this still may be something they choose to do differently than their parents.

• Upvote 3

The fact that Josie has a job that she seems to love and that brings in extra money might also influence the decision. Once she has to start homeschooling she will have less time to spend on her business, since she does not seem to be the type to just put them in front of a screen.

So if Kelton is on board I think she would prefer to get them to some sort of school.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Jill was at Abbies baby shower today. She posted this photo on instagram. I posted another group photo (Jill not included) in JD/Abbies thread. All the other girls were dressed in blue. Jill was not. No idea why. 

942F6E8F-9125-4062-9695-4BB3D08A6960_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by xenobia
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

Assuming she has one, it might not fit since she just had a baby.  Can't blame her for not wanting to buy a dress solely for this occasion.

• Upvote 14

I can understand not buying a new dress for a postpartum party but it’s a shame. Her hair would look great with that shade of blue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

Speaking of public school vs himeschool and other alternatives, a public charter school just began construction not far from me. It called the American Leadership Academy. Seems like this company originated in Arizona and has ties to the Mormon Church. Does anyone know about or have experience with this school?

The Jeubs go to school now. I think it’s a charter. But it’s an actual school.

The Seewalds go to a co-op. Only the youngest 2 go to co-op now. I think it’s Faith and Tommy.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Poor Jill, she posted that she had gallbladder surgery. She posted a thankfully fairly sensible post on her Instagram:

Screenshot_20220820_231324.thumb.jpg.614251fa9d42259534bdc47c0f5d3822.jpgScreenshot_20220820_231349.thumb.jpg.da259f5f184ade81a3a43674b77bb96e.jpgScreenshot_20220820_231408.thumb.jpg.dc36f0f905f79d8944af114848796c24.jpg

Makes me wonder how many medical issues were either not mentioned or actively covered up by Michelle and JB during filming of the show. 

Edited by HideousGreenShirt
Clicked send too quickly
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 17

no woo in that post. I'm glad she's sensible, oriented in reality with medical issues and is willing to point attention to it. 

• Upvote 34
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

In the comments, Jill mentioned her mama helping her out. I don’t think she would refer to Cathy as mama, so I think it’s Michelle acting maternal toward her prodigal daughter.

• Upvote 19
  • Thank You 2

On 8/15/2022 at 8:01 AM, Knight of Ni said:

Speaking of public school vs himeschool and other alternatives, a public charter school just began construction not far from me. It called the American Leadership Academy. Seems like this company originated in Arizona and has ties to the Mormon Church. Does anyone know about or have experience with this school?

It sounded familiar so I looked it up and confirmed it’s the name of the school in Spanish Fork, Utah that my Mormon colleague sent all of her kids. Glenn Way, a wealthy man and Republican from Utah, is connected to the development of the schools of the same name in Arizona. There was an article discussing the expansion to a new state on the East Coast, but it was blocked by a subscription page.

Here’s an article discussing the finances behind schools like these.

No surprise but I took a sociology of education class at BYU-Provo and charter schools were discussed very favorably. They were seen as the achievement gap reducers for low-income children. It wasn’t until several years later as a parent that I saw the conservative movement to use charter schools to defund public ones.

Edited by BensAllergies
  • Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1

Michelle had gallbladder issues with Josie.  It was the first warning flag of pregnancy going wrong, she was airlifted to Little Rock (because it had a proper NICU) due to gallbladder and was there when she developed pre-eclampsia and had to deliver Josie (within a week or so of that attack).  Jill having a gallbladder issue probably freaked her out because of it and she's probably (hopefully) incredibly grateful that Jill's issues happened after the delivery of a term baby and not while pregnant.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Gall bladder pain is also super painful - I’m glad she got good care and seems to appreciate how important medical care is. If it was left to the  Duggar humpers they’d be suggesting essential oils or some other ‘eye of toad’ remedy.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

Jill probably thought her gut issues were tied to body changes from her recent pregnancy, delivery and recovery. Glad she’s on the mend from gb surgery. Michelle helping out? Interesting. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Cam said:

Michelle helping out? Interesting. 

So she should- she has a lot of redeeming herself to do for the way those women were treated. JB is a lost cause. 

• Upvote 16

15 hours ago, JDuggs said:

In the comments, Jill mentioned her mama helping her out. I don’t think she would refer to Cathy as mama, so I think it’s Michelle acting maternal toward her prodigal daughter.

Look at them being a more supportive family than the Bateses.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 9

On 8/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, JDuggs said:

I thought that too, but then I saw that Kelton’s family was deep into homeschooling even after Kelton’s mom died. I’m not sure if Kelton’s dad continued homeschooling all of his kids through high school. But this still may be something they choose to do differently than their parents.

Kelton went to a Christian private school, not sure if it was just after his mom's death or a few years later. 

It would be great that Balkas send kids to school, but I highly doubt it, because all Bates homeschool and Josie has friends who homeschool while keeping small business. I think that, in her mind, sending kids to school is failing both God and children. I hope I'm wrong!!!

I suppose Kelton would be OK with school, but on the other side he only went to school because what happened to his mother. So he probably sees homeschooling not only godly, but lovely.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic