IGNORED

Chelsea Pomeroy 2

Coconut Flan

27 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

I became the size of a battleship while pregnant and one of my son’s would regularly shove his foot near my belly button and the clear outline of his foot was visible as it transverse my ginormous abdomen. 

Every one of my pregnancies would get the hiccups and my entire stomach would shake and shudder for minutes at a time. 

How on earth do you hide a full term pregnancy from people in your house older than 3 years old? 

I was able to easily hide my first pregnancy until 20 weeks because I’m fat and tall with a long torso. No one had any clue. I really didn’t look that different and still wore my same clothing. I only hid it at work. But my family and friends knew. Anyway I will say I really popped once I hit the 3rd trimester and it was so very obvious. I waddled and moaned and groaned with every move I made. With my second pregnancy, I kept telling my 2 year old there was a baby in my belly but he didn’t seem to care, lol. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

When I was a kid in the ‘50s, storybooks were full of kids being sent to stay overnight at Grandma’s and then come home to a surprise baby sibling. Some kids can be clueless.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Nicole didn't tell her daughters she was pregnant with Barron. I don't remember if she told them days before the birth... Or something weird like that 

Wtf? So even the older ones supposedly didn't know she was pregnant? Or just didn't know he was going to get be a boy? I call bs on her thinking her older children seriously didn't know this woman was pregnant.  
eta: nevermind. This is about someone else, not Chelsey. What a ridiculous thing to gaslight your children on though! (Because surely even young children ask questions)

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 1

The video of the kids meeting Henry in the hospital is absolutely precious. The look on Chelsea’s face watching the older girls see him warms my grinch heart. Her thoughts were with all of them, especially the eldest. She is definitely not a JillRod. 

• Upvote 2

This family fascinates me. Some of the outfits are absolutely beautiful, others are horrendous, but the eldest girls seem to enjoy the nonstop carnival parade. 

I think George looks like a cartoon character with her big eyes, funny faces and weird clothes. He looked as a victorian prince when he was a baby, but if Chelsea wants to keep the royal look, she should start dressing him in grey trousers, argyle sweaters, polos and shirts...

3 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

How on earth do you hide a full term pregnancy from people in your house older than 3 years old?

My mom was 5 year old and had no clue about my grandma's pregnancy. They told her a stork had left the baby on their door. 

• Upvote 4

It’s only been the last 30 years that you can actually show off your belly with tight clothing. Before that you were supposed to camouflage your growing belly with big loose clothing and bows to distract from your midsection. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

you were supposed to camouflage your growing belly with big loose clothing and bows to distract from your midsection. 

I would have needed a bow the size of a Buick to distract from my midsection. I was very thin, had a short torso, and I carry big babies. One of my sons was ten pounds eight ounces. 

I had a dress almost exactly like this , polka dots, collar, and bow. None of those little elements did a single thing to distract from the watermelon I had residing at my midsection. 

IMG_0236.jpeg

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

I would have needed a bow the size of a Buick to distract from my midsection. I was very thin, had a short torso, and I carry big babies. One of my sons was ten pounds eight ounces. 

I had a dress almost exactly like this , polka dots, collar, and bow. None of those little elements did a single thing to distract from the watermelon I had residing at my midsection. 

IMG_0236.jpeg

My mom was pregnant with me at this time as well and she wore giant tent like dresses. I think everyone pregnant in the early 80s wanted to look like Diana. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom was pregnant with me at this time as well and she wore giant tent like dresses. I think everyone pregnant in the early 80s wanted to look like Diana. 

We didn’t *want* to—those were the only things that were available. Maternity clothes were so ugly back in 1978 that I made my own.

• Upvote 13

36 minutes ago, Hane said:

We didn’t *want* to—those were the only things that were available. Maternity clothes were so ugly back in 1978 that I made my own.

My mom hid from the camera when she was pregnant. There are very few pictures of her pregnant. Maybe she secretly knew how ugly the clothes were back then. She will now declare them to be very ugly. And I can’t help but agree. There’s oversized and then there’s tent like. No one looks good in a dress that could fit 3 pregnant people in it. 

• Upvote 2

My mom was super annoyed with me when I was pregnant because I bought maternity clothes. She sewed herself one top and one dress and just wore regular clothes. She remembers being huge with my sister but pretty small with me. I showed starting at 10 weeks and couldn’t fit regular pants by 8 weeks as a result of all the hormone shots I needed.

• Upvote 3

On the topic of size during pregnancy, I was on active duty with my first and a reservist for my second. We had a dress uniform inspection when I was 10 or so weeks pregnant with my second. I’m a very small woman, but popped out so fast with that pregnancy I could not wear my dress uniform (they are quite fitted). So I brought it on a hangar (the inspection part is to ensure medals/ribbons/etc are properly placed) which is what one does. I didn’t have to wear maternity BDUs yet, but I figured since I wasn’t able to wear my dress uniform I should for consistency as I was the one doing my platoons inspection. 

My CO looked at me when I walked in in maternity BDUs carrying my uniform on a hangar and said “aren’t you like a day pregnant? Why can’t you fit in your dress uniform?”. Mortifying. I gently suggested when we were alone later that he should never, ever, ever say that to a pregnant soldier ever again. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom hid from the camera when she was pregnant. There are very few pictures of her pregnant. Maybe she secretly knew how ugly the clothes were back then. She will now declare them to be very ugly. And I can’t help but agree. There’s oversized and then there’s tent like. No one looks good in a dress that could fit 3 pregnant people in it. 

Somewhere there exists a picture of my Mom in a baggy avocado green sleeveless mini dress with vertical stripes that she wore when she was pregnant with my younger sibling in 1969.  She looked like a watermelon.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Looking pregnant was so taboo that my grandmother wore girdles during her three pregnancies in the 1940s. You also couldn't say the word "pregnant", you had to say expecting. My grandmother would recoil in horror if we said the word pregnant. You might as well have called her the c-word with the degree of her reaction.

Growing up we had a picture of my grandmother and grandfather when they were young and in the early years of their marriage, sitting in a tree together, very sweet and romantic looking. I guess it had been while since she had been to our house (we always went to her house for the holidays, etc) and when she saw the photo she gasped "How can you display that in your home? I was expecting your bother! You cannot display a photo of an expectant woman!" 

To this day, I still cannot see where her pregnant belly is. She looks like a normal thin woman in her 20s. When I asked my mom about she said, "She wore girdles through every pregnancy to hide it so she could be out in public throughout her pregnancies." 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6
  • WTF 1

When I was pregnant in the early 90's, the look was apparently navy stripe-tent sailor blouses with big fat collars and bows, along with a pair of the most unappealing maternity jeans that ever existed. I wore men's sweats. 🤣 Then with the other two, I found Motherhood Maternity and my groove was usually overalls with tees. Worked for me. I don't do florals, stripes, bright anything, or bows. Or lace. Especially not lace. I basically dress like a guy, in shades of sad-beige, denim, and black.

I went down a big rabbit hole today. Chelsea Pomeroy's sister and her husband. Oh my. What happened to those girls growing up?! Did they get dressed this way? Did they go to a speaking in tongues church? Strange family. And they both have older teen girls that seem 100% on board with all of this. My girls would've run away from home and never looked back if I tried to dress them in that stuff. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

When I was pregnant in the early 90's, the look was apparently navy stripe-tent sailor blouses with big fat collars and bows, along with a pair of the most unappealing maternity jeans that ever existed. I wore men's sweats. 🤣 Then with the other two, I found Motherhood Maternity and my groove was usually overalls with tees. Worked for me. I don't do florals, stripes, bright anything, or bows. Or lace. Especially not lace. I basically dress like a guy, in shades of sad-beige, denim, and black.

I went down a big rabbit hole today. Chelsea Pomeroy's sister and her husband. Oh my. What happened to those girls growing up?! Did they get dressed this way? Did they go to a speaking in tongues church? Strange family. And they both have older teen girls that seem 100% on board with all of this. My girls would've run away from home and never looked back if I tried to dress them in that stuff. 

Yes, I believe they grew up pentecostal but I don’t think their parents are as into the cutesy perfect fashion. Their children go to a school associated with their church. Therefore they are isolated. I am sure they think it’s all normal. It’s all they know. 

• Upvote 3

Oh my goodness I'm so glad that Chelsea's Instagram is public again! My goodness her latest is adorable. And Easter is when it is actually kind of appropriate for kids to look like her too.

I've been thinking about how I think of her and her sister as my ‘pet fundies’ but honestly I'm now wondering if they Count as fundamentalist at all by our standards. They’re fundamentalist Christians, but they don't do any of the things that we rag on other families about. They don't homeschool, proselytize, grift, their kids probably get too much sugar like most people but they're definitely fed, get medical care, and they all seem to have age-appropriate personalities, like the quotes are appropriate to that kids age. The only thing that they do that is fundamentalist to me is wear skirts only, but so does the entire church. Do we reach a point where fundamentalist Christians are just plain Christians in the US? I disagree enormously with all of their beliefs and life choices, and it is really sad to me that probably a considerable percentage of the United States ascribes to the same beliefs, but with the exception of the way they dress their kids, (and I really do think that they dress much more normally than majority of the time) Chelsea and Nicole are pretty average. They probably want to make money off of Instagram just like many people do, they have found their angle and they're sticking to it.

And as Easter clothing goes, I found it all adorable, age appropriate and beautiful. Lucy's Easter dress in particular I would totally buy for a very special occasion for a very special kid because I love blue and green and flowers and smocking. (Although I do acknowledge that my taste definitely fit more in the 1880s/1890s the current day.) Nicole's oldest I think is about 18 so she should be probably getting married in the next few years and her wedding will be *something else.*

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, I believe they grew up pentecostal but I don’t think their parents are as into the cutesy perfect fashion. Their children go to a school associated with their church. Therefore they are isolated. I am sure they think it’s all normal. It’s all they know. 

Do Chelsea's kids and her sister's kids all go to the same church/school? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Do Chelsea's kids and her sister's kids all go to the same church/school? 

Now that I think about it, I’m not positive. But I think I always assumed they did. 

• Upvote 2

Yes they do, and Nicole's husband is the principal. Chelsea's husband does something in consulting/securities, and I'm guessing by their not infrequent trips to London that they are pretty well off.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

38 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

Yes they do, and Nicole's husband is the principal. Chelsea's husband does something in consulting/securities, and I'm guessing by their not infrequent trips to London that they are pretty well off.

Chelsea's husband is the principal and Nicole's is the one who does the security consulting stuff. I thought he was in the military at some point. 

There must be some family money somewhere because Chelsea's family has a pretty nice life on a principal's salary.  They don't go to London all the time like Nicole's family but they do travel quite a bit. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Nicole’s husband was in the military for nearly 20 years (per her Instagram). 

• Upvote 2

On 4/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, Expectopatronus said:

My mom was super annoyed with me when I was pregnant because I bought maternity clothes. She sewed herself one top and one dress and just wore regular clothes. She remembers being huge with my sister but pretty small with me. I showed starting at 10 weeks and couldn’t fit regular pants by 8 weeks as a result of all the hormone shots I needed.

Pants were tough, but I switched to dresses with leggings underneath and those worked so well! Really comfy, really easy to look “put together”, I lived in those during my pregnancy. And to be honest, I still do! No pregnancy clothes of course, but leggings and dress is so much more comfy to wear than jeans!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, anachronistic said:

The only thing that they do that is fundamentalist to me is wear skirts only

Girls won't be allowed to have a professional career. They can only be wives and mothers. It',s deeply fundamentalist. 

And I doubt they have their own interests. They can't play sports, they can't read what they want, are not free to pick a TV series to watch or listen to modern music. What if they are interested in tech, can they learn it? Can they learn foreigner langiages? Can they speak to a non related kid when they are on vacation? Make friends out of church?

• Upvote 3

On 4/11/2024 at 12:02 AM, anachronistic said:

Oh my goodness I'm so glad that Chelsea's Instagram is public again! My goodness her latest is adorable. And Easter is when it is actually kind of appropriate for kids to look like her too.

I've been thinking about how I think of her and her sister as my ‘pet fundies’ but honestly I'm now wondering if they Count as fundamentalist at all by our standards. They’re fundamentalist Christians, but they don't do any of the things that we rag on other families about. They don't homeschool, proselytize, grift, their kids probably get too much sugar like most people but they're definitely fed, get medical care, and they all seem to have age-appropriate personalities, like the quotes are appropriate to that kids age. The only thing that they do that is fundamentalist to me is wear skirts only, but so does the entire church. Do we reach a point where fundamentalist Christians are just plain Christians in the US? I disagree enormously with all of their beliefs and life choices, and it is really sad to me that probably a considerable percentage of the United States ascribes to the same beliefs, but with the exception of the way they dress their kids, (and I really do think that they dress much more normally than majority of the time) Chelsea and Nicole are pretty average. They probably want to make money off of Instagram just like many people do, they have found their angle and they're sticking to it.

And as Easter clothing goes, I found it all adorable, age appropriate and beautiful. Lucy's Easter dress in particular I would totally buy for a very special occasion for a very special kid because I love blue and green and flowers and smocking. (Although I do acknowledge that my taste definitely fit more in the 1880s/1890s the current day.) Nicole's oldest I think is about 18 so she should be probably getting married in the next few years and her wedding will be *something else.*

The difference is money. The kids are fed and get medical care because they can afford it. The difference between "we homeschool so that our children are brought up only learning exactly what we believe and their mother is the teacher" and "our children go to a private school attached to our church where they learn only exactly what we believe and their father is the principal" is money. The petticoats and smocked dresses are far more expensive than the Duggar's handmade Sound of Music type frumpers, but they all still meet ridiculous 'modesty' standards. I also bet they do proselytize, maybe not quite as overtly.

Are they quiverfull? I don't know. Six children isn't exactly a small family but they're pretty spaced out and they've never talked explicitly about birth control.

Do they have daddy-approved courting rather than dating? I don't know, but the girls are definitely expected to aspire to marriage and motherhood. The eldest daughters are old enough to make one wonder about how dating works in their church.

• Upvote 5