IGNORED

Webster4Eva 11: They don't know it's not vitally important to teach a 5 year old how to choose a man

HerNameIsBuffy

11 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

I think for some kids video school is better than what they receive in traditional homeschool. As many problems as there are with Abeka, they will at least cover the basics on a consistent schedule.

I agree, although I wonder just who is responsible for getting 3 kids onto their school computer sites and follow up that they are continuing to stay on task + monitor an 18 month old while their PG mother is lying in bed all day or puking in the BR? John has a day job and likely is still busy since the weather is still hot. John can’t be in 2 places at once. Allie can’t be monitoring school schedules, a baby and her own studies. What about breakfast and lunch? And laundry and grocery shopping? There is no way that any “schooling” is a priority right now. This is what happens in all these families. Chores and cooking meals + butt wiping takes precedence to schooling because not living in utter filth or not  going without food or clean clothes is a more immediate need than reading, writing and arithmetic. 

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

This is late to the party but YES! I hate it that my youngest is in 6th grade and I want her back in second or third STAT 😕

It does make a lot of sense. Elementary schools really try to be the community that welcomes an opens its door to parents and parent interaction. They have things like PTO carnivals, jogathons, Halloween parades, and class parties that some parents are invited to help with as room parents. By the time students go to middle school they're in a larger school and at a developmental age where the kids are less likely to want the parents around and many of the parents either decide to be less active or feel like there's much less for them to volunteer for.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Guanabana said:

Alyssa’s homeschooling consists of sitting the girls in front of a DVD player listening to their assigned “teacher.” Alyssa has posted pictures from upstairs when she checks on the girls during school. Those girls are on their own.

The vid with the teacher kills me. Because in one of their videos, they (I think it was mostly John) said that the reason for homeschooling is that every kid learns different and a teacher can’t teach to all the different kids, so it was better to homeschool and each kid could get attention. (I’m paraphrasing but that was the gist.). And now the kids sit in front of a video that is a teacher teaching a bunch of kids. How is that different than actual school besides that the Webster kids can’t interact with other kids? 

• Upvote 20

1 hour ago, Tdoc72 said:

The vid with the teacher kills me. Because in one of their videos, they (I think it was mostly John) said that the reason for homeschooling is that every kid learns different and a teacher can’t teach to all the different kids, so it was better to homeschool and each kid could get attention. (I’m paraphrasing but that was the gist.). And now the kids sit in front of a video that is a teacher teaching a bunch of kids. How is that different than actual school besides that the Webster kids can’t interact with other kids? 

I think that’s really sad. 😞 at that point, they should 100% be sending their kids to regular school. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

Actually, the way she has set up “schooling”, the girls “education” won’t be anywhere  near as badly impacted as other homeschoolers with a pregnant mother. The girls can go to the classroom, put in the dvd and do the lessons for the day by themselves. I assume Alyssa can grad the stuff in bed or John can in the evening. I have said this before, but as dismal as the Webster homeschooling is, it is at least a set curriculum and she does insist on daily schooling. The bar is so low it is truly nonexistent.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Most fundamentalists are not homeschooling in order to provide a quality education. They are homeschooling b/c they don't trust public schools and want to be fully in control of the content. 

So, the video teacher can't give the kids attention but an Abeka teacher will teach approved fundie curricula, and, if it does happen to be too liberal for the Websters, they can skip that video. Whatever "too liberal" is in the current culture war. When I was a kid, Christian schools were worried about sex ed and drugs. Before that it was integration (most of them formed so as not to do it). Now it's CRT and gender conversations. 

They will *say* it's for reasons of education (like the hardcore homeschoolers that like to pull out random stats to *prove* homeschoolers do better) but it's mostly for ideological reasons. 

I have homeschooled various kids over the years and have a lot of mixed feelings about it. There are many motivated families, and it can be a great fit for certain kids. Some families do it really well and cultivate creativity, outside-the-box-thinking, and skills that are hard to grow in a traditional classroom. It also hides tons of abuse and is a brilliant way to indoctrinate children. I don't think I've ever seen a fundie pursue the former approach; nearly all of them focus on the latter.

Also: the Abeka low bar reminds me of the Maxwell low bar. It's atrocious. Their homeschooling was terrible. But I remember reading their "managers of their homeschools" and thinking: well, at least they advocate for textbooks. They were vehement about textbooks being the only way to homeschool. Which sounds like an insanely low, like underground, bar. 

But then you see the Duggars sitting around with random Wisdom Booklets and the textbook approach isn't quite the worst. Some horrific Doug Wilson approved homeschoolordie Christendom curricula was floating around twitter today (linked below). In comparison, Abeka isn't rock bottom. 

https://twitter.com/ExaminingMoscow/status/1567919327759810560?s=20&t=f_fdJt_swxWDBNY4ULSrTA

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Most fundamentalists are not homeschooling in order to provide a quality education. They are homeschooling b/c they don't trust public schools and want to be fully in control of the content. 

So, the video teacher can't give the kids attention but an Abeka teacher will teach approved fundie curricula, and, if it does happen to be too liberal for the Websters, they can skip that video. Whatever "too liberal" is in the current culture war. When I was a kid, Christian schools were worried about sex ed and drugs. Before that it was integration (most of them formed so as not to do it). Now it's CRT and gender conversations. 

They will *say* it's for reasons of education (like the hardcore homeschoolers that like to pull out random stats to *prove* homeschoolers do better) but it's mostly for ideological reasons. 

I have homeschooled various kids over the years and have a lot of mixed feelings about it. There are many motivated families, and it can be a great fit for certain kids. Some families do it really well and cultivate creativity, outside-the-box-thinking, and skills that are hard to grow in a traditional classroom. It also hides tons of abuse and is a brilliant way to indoctrinate children. I don't think I've ever seen a fundie pursue the former approach; nearly all of them focus on the latter.

Also: the Abeka low bar reminds me of the Maxwell low bar. It's atrocious. Their homeschooling was terrible. But I remember reading their "managers of their homeschools" and thinking: well, at least they advocate for textbooks. They were vehement about textbooks being the only way to homeschool. Which sounds like an insanely low, like underground, bar. 

But then you see the Duggars sitting around with random Wisdom Booklets and the textbook approach isn't quite the worst. Some horrific Doug Wilson approved homeschoolordie Christendom curricula was floating around twitter today (linked below). In comparison, Abeka isn't rock bottom. 

https://twitter.com/ExaminingMoscow/status/1567919327759810560?s=20&t=f_fdJt_swxWDBNY4ULSrTA

One of my cousins started homeschooling because our sex Ed curriculum changed to include the topic of consent early on, and became more inclusive of non-heterosexual relationships. Cause how dare they teach kids about those things in catholic schools? 🙄 said cousin has since become very vocal on social media about their anti-vax, anti-science stances, so I’m sure the kids are getting a wonderful science education through their homeschooling, too (sarcasm). 

On the contrary, a family friend, who’s a teacher by training, decided to homeschool because 2/3 kids had severe autism and wanted to give them a more individualized approach to their education. And the kids seem to have really benefitted from it - their social skills improved a ton, they each developed unique interests, and seemed really happy. By the time they got to high school, they started attending public school, and are thriving. 

• Upvote 14

I absolutely agree that some kids profit from homeschooling, if it's done for the right reasons and by a reasonably qualified person. Heck, my own daughter's attitude toward her schoolwork improved vastly during lockdown, when I essentially took over teaching her, and I don't even claim that I'm that great at it. But the individual attention definitely helped, and I think she saw my own positive attitude toward learning new stuff, and some of that rubbed off. So yeah, sometimes homeschooling can be great.

Nevertheless, I'm completely fine with the fact that homeschooling isn't allowed in my country, since in my opinion the danger of abuse and indoctrination far outweighs any indivdual benefits (besides, there are exceptions for legitimate medical reasons, as well as special programmes for kids with autism or learning difficulties). Plus, I feel that kids on the whole profit from being exposed to different opinions and teaching styles, even if some of them are less than ideal.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Keys said:

One of my cousins started homeschooling because our sex Ed curriculum changed to include the topic of consent early on, and became more inclusive of non-heterosexual relationships. Cause how dare they teach kids about those things in catholic schools? 🙄 said cousin has since become very vocal on social media about their anti-vax, anti-science stances, so I’m sure the kids are getting a wonderful science education through their homeschooling, too (sarcasm). 

Are you in Ontario? Just curious because I am very familiar with the curriculum debate lol. 

I have 3 kids and my oldest was a disaster during lockdown, he does not learn well from a screen. My middle child was fine, I think he would thrive in any environment. My daughter did not do well with virtual kindergarten but when we switched to me just working with her, she did great. 

• I Agree 1

I follow another religious (Trad Catholic) family’s blog. They have 9 kids under 13. This year the mom is sending the 6 oldest to school for the first time. Her youngest 3 are 2,  just turned 1 and a NB. Now this family is very, very wealthy and has lots of help and resources, but still, there comes that tipping point. For the fundies we discuss, they don’t want their kids to be educated, so schooling isn’t a priority-

• Upvote 6

On 8/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, raayx01 said:

It is true, France has a 14 week ban, while America is trying to get abortion allowed up until birth

This is old but I just saw it. That is a lie and you are either a brainwashed fool or a manipulative liar. I am going with brainwashed fool who believes lies and allows politicians to manipulate you because your critical thinking skills are not sharp enough to cut through nonsense. Educate yourself. It hurts less than stupid.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I think for some kids video school is better than what they receive in traditional homeschool. As many problems as there are with Abeka, they will at least cover the basics on a consistent schedule.

The saddest thing about Abeka is that the kids have no relationship with the teachers. That's so important in the early years! I remember when Allie was asked her teacher's name and she had no idea. It didnt' matter. She had never rushed up to her with an exciting idea, or held her hand, or chattered about her at dinner. Those are all things my own kids did. It's about forming a relationship of trust with an adult outside the family. 

From what I've seen of Abeka, both the teachers and the kids are like stiff little robots. I wonder if they re-do lessons if a classroom kid throws up or has an accident. Do they make the classroom kids sit through multiple filmings of the same lesson?

• Upvote 1

Something I just thought about - the Bates IG just posted some photos of the latest baby shower. Why is there nothing else in a female’s life other than PG and babies (+ Jesus)???? Why is more not offered, encouraged or even expected ????? Did Jesus really endorse women’s lives to be so insular?  Doesn’t the O in the Duggars’ JOY, stand for “others”? Do those “others” outside one’s own home and belief system not count? 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic