IGNORED

Webster4Eva 11: They don't know it's not vitally important to teach a 5 year old how to choose a man

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

I love to hear when people adopt adult animals! As my name says I foster kittens, most of my fosters are kittens, plenty of mama cat and her kittens, and the occasional adult cat. I love to see all my fosters get adopted but seeing the mama cats and other adult fosters I had get adopted is always extra special. 

We only adopt adult cats.  Our first adoptee was three years old and went to the Rainbow Bridge at age 14 due to cancer.  Our latest addition was adopted at age 2.  We have had her for 5 years and it has been such a pleasure to watch her come out of her shell and be the cat she was meant to be.

And I really believe adult cats are grateful for being chosen and taken in.     

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

7 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

I love to hear when people adopt adult animals! As my name says I foster kittens, most of my fosters are kittens, plenty of mama cat and her kittens, and the occasional adult cat. I love to see all my fosters get adopted but seeing the mama cats and other adult fosters I had get adopted is always extra special. 

I finally told my daughter we could foster, called the agency, and told them we could take a hard-to-place animal as long as it wasn't violent or had heavy medical needs (we are away from the house too long).  They placed an (estimated)  ten year old former feral who had been in and out of foster homes for two years after being rescued (horrible story there), and was incredibly reclusive. Not violent, just hid under furniture, only came out to eat at night, etc. Within a few months, she would cautiously jump up beside us and a few months after that, she would stay in the room even if we walked in unexpectedly.  We taught her to play by one of us being the cat and demonstrating what you did with a long ribbon. We ended up adopting her, of course.  A few months after that, we spoke with the agency about "fostering to adopt" a companion for her, discussed what would be best, and settled on a young male kitten (I guess older females take to younger males?).  If she regressed, it caused trauma (like I said, her rescue story was horrible), and it wasn't working after a few weeks, we would give the kitten back. Within a couple hours she was grooming him, after establishing herself as alpha.  He absolutely adores her - they're 13 and 2 now, and he keeps her young (he taught her how to "cat", as she had no clue after 8 years on the streets + two years of hiding).  They play together, groom each other, and even sleep together when she allows it. 

Edited by monkeyrocks71
  • Love 42

I really want to adopt a cat. I have a spare room so I can keep all the "kitty things" in there. My sister has a black cat who's absolutely adorable (named Jackie) and I just really want a black cat. I will adopt an adult too. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

14 minutes ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I really want to adopt a cat. I have a spare room so I can keep all the "kitty things" in there. My sister has a black cat who's absolutely adorable (named Jackie) and I just really want a black cat. I will adopt an adult too. 

All the black cats I’ve known have been laid back friendly cats. I don’t think I’ve ever come across a mean black cat. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

All the black cats I’ve known have been laid back friendly cats. I don’t think I’ve ever come across a mean black cat. 

A good friend of mine has had two black cats. In fact just after the first one passed away he found the second one on the humane society's website and he and I went to check it out and take him home. Sadly, number two cross the rainbow bridge in June. I know he's back on the website looking for just the right black cat again. He feels they have much more personality than other cats and the two that he's had have been very sweet.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

I finally told my daughter we could foster, called the agency, and told them we could take a hard-to-place animal as long as it wasn't violent or had heavy medical needs (we are away from the house too long).  They placed an (estimated)  ten year old former feral who had been in and out of foster homes for two years after being rescued (horrible story there), and was incredibly reclusive. Not violent, just hid under furniture, only came out to eat at night, etc. Within a few months, she would cautiously jump up beside us and a few months after that, she would stay in the room even if we walked in unexpectedly.  We taught her to play by one of us being the cat and demonstrating what you did with a long ribbon. We ended up adopting her, of course.  A few months after that, we spoke with the agency about "fostering to adopt" a companion for her, discussed what would be best, and settled on a young male kitten (I guess older females take to younger males?).  If she regressed, it caused trauma (like I said, her rescue story was horrible), and it wasn't working after a few weeks, we would give the kitten back. Within a couple hours she was grooming him, after establishing herself as alpha.  He absolutely adores her - they're 13 and 2 now, and he keeps her young (he taught her how to "cat", as she had no clue after 8 years on the streets + two years of hiding).  They play together, groom each other, and even sleep together when she allows it. 

This made my day. 😸

My kitty had a rough start. Her original person declawed her :( and then ended up in a nursing home. Kitty went to live with the person's daughter, but didn't get along with the cats that lived there. They surrendered her to the SPCA, where she was placed in "solitary confinement" because she didn't get along with the free roaming cats there. She was considered hard to place because of the declawing (which some people think affects their personality) and because she had to go to a home with no other pets. She was very shy at first and it took a loooooong time for her to jump up on a couch or bed. She still won't sit in our laps, and doesn't like to be petted, but will "pet" us by rubbing her head all over us. She greets us at the door, tail straight up and meows a loud hello. We are 4 adults in the house and love her to the ends of the earth. We got her during the pandemic shut-in phase and she was just what we needed. I hope we were just what she needed, too. 

JoJo.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Love 36

24 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

This made my day. 😸

My kitty had a rough start. Her original person declawed her :( and then ended up in a nursing home. Kitty went to live with the person's daughter, but didn't get along with the cats that lived there. They surrendered her to the SPCA, where she was placed in "solitary confinement" because she didn't get along with the free roaming cats there. She was considered hard to place because of the declawing (which some people think affects their personality) and because she had to go to a home with no other pets. She was very shy at first and it took a loooooong time for her to jump up on a couch or bed. She still won't sit in our laps, and doesn't like to be petted, but will "pet" us by rubbing her head all over us. She greets us at the door, tail straight up and meows a loud hello. We are 4 adults in the house and love her to the ends of the earth. We got her during the pandemic shut-in phase and she was just what we needed. I hope we were just what she needed, too. 

JoJo.jpg

Awww that’s one good looking cat. My cat is too affectionate sometimes. He will come rub his face on my face after he licked his butt. I’m like ewww. Lol. Stinker. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

This made my day. 😸

JoJo.jpg

My car was also declawed by her previous owner. It makes me mad they mad her defenseless than abandoned her.   Luckily someone cared enough to call a rescue. I think it just takes older cats longer to adjust.  I have her for just over a year and she just recently started letting me rub her tummy. 

20220706_142228.jpg

• Love 26

My best boy was found after being (I think) hit by a car and came in to be euthanized.  I don't know why, but I offered him some food and he went ballistic for it and started purring and looked so happy.  I had to fix him and keep him.  He is the most perfect cat I've ever met.

We also have a black cat that we got as a kitten, and she is salty as heck about everything in this life.  Her dearest wish is to become jaba the hut, and it is my never-ending mission to prevent it.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 18

My first adult adoptee cat was front-declawed by the previous owners.  Years later the claws began growing back but they were deformed, twisted and weak.  The veterinarian confirmed the claws were indeed growing back due to the original declawing job likely being botched and incomplete.  The vet asked if I wanted to have the declawing completed correctly and I refused.  I was not putting that cat through any more needless pain.   

That cat, a chocolate tortie we renamed Tallulah, was the sweetest, smartest, most people-loving cat you would ever meet.  However, Tallulah was very protective about letting anyone near her front paws.  I swear she remembered the surgery and the pain it caused her.     

• Love 15

I adopted a cat many years ago that was declawed front and back! I was shocked it was both. She was a sweetheart but she slipped all over the hard wood floors when she would run and play with my other cat who had claws. Poor girl. 

• Love 15

Medical hat on: There are two methods of declawing.  The old school way removed part of the last phalange in the foot, the section that the claws grow from, while leaving part of it so that paw alignment when walking doesn't change.  The idea here is to minimize risk of things like arthritis, however it is pretty easy to leave part of the claw-growing cells and get regrowth later.  I have never performed this technique, but I think it is probably easiest on the cat in the long term IF performed correctly.  The second method removes the last phalange in the foot, preventing risk of regrowth but causes a change in alignment and weight-bearing.  This is the one I was taught by my first boss in practice and the one I performed while working there. 

Medical hat off: This was in Illinois and virtually every cat was declawed there because no apartment complex in the city allowed a cat to have claws.  It never really sat well with me because I felt the cats were not as comfortable following the procedure as I wanted them to be with nerve blocks and opioids.  After leaving that practice and moving back east, I can't even remember the last declaw I performed.  I would decline to perform a declaw if asked, although I haven't been asked in a very long time.  My cats have their claws now, and although I occasionally threaten them when they're scratching stuff I would not have it otherwise.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

On 8/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My parents had a black cat that we named Devil Cat, for good reason.  She COULD be sweet,  but usually to lure the dogs into getting swiped across the nose. She ruled thr roost.

• Haha 4

Alyssa and a dog??? Oh come on! She confessed that she rarely goes to parks with the girls. If she doesn't walk her daughters, she's not going to do it with a dog, except (maybe) if she can go running with the dog.

She's impatient and loves clean spaces. The dog will be sent to a hard training and then rehomed. I'm sorry I can't be more positive.

• Upvote 17

58 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Alyssa and a dog??? Oh come on! She confessed that she rarely goes to parks with the girls. If she doesn't walk her daughters, she's not going to do it with a dog, except (maybe) if she can go running with the dog.

She's impatient and loves clean spaces. The dog will be sent to a hard training and then rehomed. I'm sorry I can't be more positive.

I am even more jaded. I think she might be doing it for the clicks. Once it’s gotten her attention for 6 months, it will probably be sold. 

• Upvote 11
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if I should update here or in the politics thread but watching live coverage in FL and Laura Loomer has just pulled ahead of Dan Webster in their primary. Only about 50% precincts reporting, so still up in the air, but still very interesting. 

me to my husband: he’s crazy, she’s CUH-RAYYYYZEEEEE. 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I don’t know if I should update here or in the politics thread but watching live coverage in FL and Laura Loomer has just pulled ahead of Dan Webster in their primary. Only about 50% precincts reporting, so still up in the air, but still very interesting. 

me to my husband: he’s crazy, she’s CUH-RAYYYYZEEEEE. 

Daniel Webster won his primary

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 8/23/2022 at 9:33 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I will say it’s scary that the crazy Loomer got that many votes. 

Loomer is batsh*t crazy in 20 different ways and keeps getting crazier:

https://www.salon.com/2022/08/25/florida-primary-loser-loomer-declares-herself-a-winner-i-actually-am-the-congresswoman_partner/ 

Florida GOP primary loser Laura Loomer declares herself a winner: “I actually am the congresswoman"

"Loomer went on to imply that she would not stop trying to defeat Webster in the GOP primary he lost, even if she ended up killing him.

"Daniel Webster is illegitimate and my team and I will work to drive him into the ground every step of the way until he collapses in disgrace (or poor health) and resigns like he should have years ago," she wrote. "Dan Webster's health is worse than Joe Biden's. Everyone who has seen him recently knows it's true. His health is drastically failing, he is demented, looks ill, he can barely speak, he wears a life alert, I am willing to bet he doesn't survive before his current term is over.""

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 19

38 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Loomer is batsh*t crazy in 20 different ways and keeps getting crazier:

https://www.salon.com/2022/08/25/florida-primary-loser-loomer-declares-herself-a-winner-i-actually-am-the-congresswoman_partner/ 

Florida GOP primary loser Laura Loomer declares herself a winner: “I actually am the congresswoman"

"Loomer went on to imply that she would not stop trying to defeat Webster in the GOP primary he lost, even if she ended up killing him.

"Daniel Webster is illegitimate and my team and I will work to drive him into the ground every step of the way until he collapses in disgrace (or poor health) and resigns like he should have years ago," she wrote. "Dan Webster's health is worse than Joe Biden's. Everyone who has seen him recently knows it's true. His health is drastically failing, he is demented, looks ill, he can barely speak, he wears a life alert, I am willing to bet he doesn't survive before his current term is over.""

Oh my word… if a politician here spewed that crap, they would be kicked out of their political party

• Upvote 6

42 minutes ago, Keys said:

Oh my word… if a politician here spewed that crap, they would be kicked out of their political party

I would almost cheer if Webster filed a defamation suit against her.  She is nuts!

• Upvote 15

This whole thing is just weird to me. It's not like Daniel Webster is a Never-Trumper who voted for impeachment (voted against in 1st trial, didn't vote at all in 2nd trialdue to a family medical emergency, but said he 100% opposed). He's a member of the Freedom Caucus and is a legitimate Christian Nationalist. It baffles me that Laura Loomer chose to primary HIM, and then cry voter fraud on HIM. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, SisterMom said:

This whole thing is just weird to me. It's not like Daniel Webster is a Never-Trumper who voted for impeachment (voted against in 1st trial, didn't vote at all in 2nd trialdue to a family medical emergency, but said he 100% opposed). He's a member of the Freedom Caucus and is a legitimate Christian Nationalist. It baffles me that Laura Loomer chose to primary HIM, and then cry voter fraud on HIM. 

Well she is one of the most absolutely most bat-shit out of her mind persons in the wild and crazy chaos of Q-Annon, so not that surprising. She hangs out with other cartoon caricatures like Jacob Wohl and Roger Stone…soooooo 

I was shocked to learn she’s only 29 - so she has a long road ahead in stirring up whirlwinds of nuts. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SisterMom said:

I know! I mean, is Daniel Webster too liberal for half of Florida?

Apparently Loomer is Jewish and she is also "pro-white" or "pro-European." Which is interesting because not all Jews come from Europe.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic