IGNORED

Jana Duggar 13: I Don't Think She Will :(

nelliebelle1197

I don’t think the Bates have that many mainstream fans. Their show is on a a network that few people get. I would bet the percentage of people who know they exist is very low. The Duggars have had way more attention and I would be that few people knew the names of any of the 19 Kids before the Josh scandals were in the news. Most people can still probably only name Josh. I don’t personally know anyone who has actually watched the show. I think we overestimate the level of interest in these people since we find them so interesting. It’s not that the Bates are getting away with anything, it’s that few people know about them to even care.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

They recently had one of their sons on camera screaming a horrifically racist remark while the rest of the family laughed and it doesn’t even appear they lost a single social media sponsor.

I'm not so sure about that. Someone from reddit sent the video images to her most recent sponsor and the sponsor got back to them and said they were unaware but going forward will not be doing business with her again. If Reddit is good at one thing - it is reminding people that the internet never forgets. 

This being said I think that the Duggars with big social media followings eg Jessa will be able to retain most of their sponsors and viewers if they rebrand. They can either distance themselves from Josh and have a "I've come back to Jesus" moment or they can double down and focus on their audience of racists, misogynists and other nasty fundies or thirdly just ignore things and hope it all blows over. I suspect we'll see them go the first route because there is more money down that path but we'll see. 

• Upvote 10

My local (Boston) news just mentioned Jana’s charges in their run down of national stories. Very brief - basically said sister of former realty TV star and convicted sex offender was recently charged with child endangerment and entered a not guilty plea.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

9 hours ago, Giraffe said:

This is my thought, too. Maybe the police have had numerous complaints over the years that they've written off as not worth looking into but they're (again, purely speculation) getting more heat from people (or other authorities) and are tired of just looking the other way. 

Hopefully their house of cards is crumbling. 

Yep. This was my initial thought too.

• Upvote 2

Two of the Bates boys were also at the trump rally at Washington monument right before the insurrection. They posted video on Instagram about it. They received very little push back. Probably because most of their humpers also hump trump. 

• Upvote 27
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I think they are very conscious of how they appear to normal folks and would from the start not be as supportive. Also, no way Gil is paying for defense attorneys. It would be hard, but if anyone could survive a scandal like this it would be the Bates. They recently had one of their sons on camera screaming a horrifically racist remark while the rest of the family laughed and it doesn’t even appear they lost a single social media sponsor. They have done some pretty awful things with virtually no lasting backlash. They just learn how to cover the crazy up a bit better. I’m not saying they could survive a Josh scandal, just that out of all the fundies they are the ones most likely to pull it off. 

The one major difference between Gil and JB is the level of control each man seemingly has over their adult children. JB definitely controls all through his pocketbook. Conversely, the female, married Bateses all seem to have spouses who work. Zach purportedly is doing the tree business, and I’m not sure what Nathan and Lawson do. Money is a very powerful motivator, especially when you’re growing a family year after year. In order for the Duggars to survive, people are going to need to start putting into the coffers vs taking more out. I did read somewhere that the reason cults die out in the second generation is most often times d/t a lack of funding. Those TV shows should have always been an extra and not the main means of support.

• Upvote 10

18 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Jana Duggar, 31, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child and taken a plea deal | Daily Mail Online

Jana has entered a plea deal and is expected to appear in the Washington County District Court on January 10, the clerk said. The 31-year-old has no children of her own and is the eldest unmarried Duggar child. 

If convicted, she could face 30 to 90 days in jail behind bars or fines.  

Jana Duggar, 31, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child and taken a plea deal | Daily Mail Online

For what it's worth

ETA: It is everywhere online. No details. 

Interesting that Daily Mail is saying that she has entered a plea deal - everyone else is saying that she has pled not guilty. If she had entered a plea deal there wouldn't be a trial, and there would already be sentencing determined. I think this is just a screw up on their part.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I think that Jana was pulled over while driving, and the kids in her car were not wearing seatbelts. We've seen them act carelessly about such things many times. Is there a possibility this theory could be true? People seem pretty certain about the wandering child thing.

• Upvote 3

Because Josh was just convicted, this will get way more press. If this had happened before Josh was arrested and tried, it would have gotten less coverage. Now that Josh was just convicted, anything court and Duggar related will get way more attention in the media.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, nniikkii said:

Interesting that Daily Mail is saying that she has entered a plea deal - everyone else is saying that she has pled not guilty. If she had entered a plea deal there wouldn't be a trial, and there would already be sentencing determined. I think this is just a screw up on their part.

The Daily Mail can't even be trusted to get details of the UK's legal system correct, I definitely wouldn't trust them to report on a case in a foreign jurisdiction.

• Upvote 20

I just can't get over Josh AND this going on with Jana and Jim Bob being like "anyway, vote for me!" 

Edited by lizzybee
  • Upvote 28
  • I Agree 9

15 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

I just can't get over Josh AND this going on with Jana and Jim Bob being like "anyway, vote for me!" 

Mostly lurker, but I was telling my mom this BEFORE  the Jana thing happened, and she was like "The dad clearly has no shame".   (I watched the show in 2014- right before Trump, but just could not after. However,   came back here after hearing about Josh.) 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

I think that Jana was pulled over while driving, and the kids in her car were not wearing seatbelts. We've seen them act carelessly about such things many times. Is there a possibility this theory could be true? People seem pretty certain about the wandering child thing.

Someone found a separate Arkansas law that would cover seatbelts.

• Upvote 6

I don't get this falling asleep thing.

People sleep.  Kids sleep, so do grow ups.  Its allowed. Now if you're toddler is awake and you really need a nap then the toddler needs to be safe nearby with a fave toy/movie and things need to be locked up and safe and you still need to hear them.  But falling asleep while responsible for a child is normal.  Or do people with kids really take turns staying up all night in case a child wakes up?

Far more likely - leaving a kid alone or letting an older kid do something with power tools without enough supervision.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I don't follow Jana close enough to know, but has the timing of this incident coincided with the lack of Steve Wiseman sittings?

I went poking thru Instagram last night out of curiosity (understanding that crap could have been scrubbed) and her coloring her hair again and oh hey maybe they broke up stuff was in August, before  this happened.  Then she was at some sort of decorating show.  

The duggar family account indicated travel my JB, Michelle and the kids from Jackson thru Josie (and Tyler) around the 9/9 and later time period.  So I’m discounting any speculation that Jana was in charge and a teem (Hannie) was watching someone.  That does however indicate that the usual babysitters from the big house may have been unavailable.

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, imokit said:

People sleep.  Kids sleep, so do grow ups.  Its allowed. Now if you're toddler is awake and you really need a nap then the toddler needs to be safe nearby with a fave toy/movie and things need to be locked up and safe and you still need to hear them.  But falling asleep while responsible for a child is normal.  Or do people with kids really take turns staying up all night in case a child wakes up?

Far more likely - leaving a kid alone or letting an older kid do something with power tools without enough supervision.

You haven’t factored in Duggar Time. Remember these are people that routinely stay up until the middle of the night, including the toddlers.

I’llnever forget Jessa’s words “ If God wanted us to see sun rise, he’d have made it later in the day.” I guess without the structure of school or work, the flow of the day is different? I’m retired and still rise before 7:00 every day.

Maybe Anna dropped the little ones off early to take the older kids out, and Michelle left to go to the gym while Jana was still asleep, like she’s probably done hundreds of other times, and this time a couple of kids escaped. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, imokit said:

I agree - I have 4 kids, so had toddlers at the same time as having newborns who were up all night.  I would generally try to nap when my kids would nap, but that didn’t always work out.  If I knew I was desperately tired and close to falling asleep, I’d make sure all kids were safe, securely inside our home and watching a movie or something.  

I think the guess is that she fell asleep because the report is made by a neighbor on a street close to theirs, so it seems likely a child wondered off, not that they were playing with power tools, in which case, if she did fall asleep, she didn’t make sure the kid(s) were secure and safe.  That’s the difference.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

The one major difference between Gil and JB is the level of control each man seemingly has over their adult children. JB definitely controls all through his pocketbook. Conversely, the female, married Bateses all seem to have spouses who work. Zach purportedly is doing the tree business, and I’m not sure what Nathan and Lawson do. Money is a very powerful motivator, especially when you’re growing a family year after year. In order for the Duggars to survive, people are going to need to start putting into the coffers vs taking more out. I did read somewhere that the reason cults die out in the second generation is most often times d/t a lack of funding. Those TV shows should have always been an extra and not the main means of support.

Lawson plays cosplays as a cowboy. 🤠 ye haw! He also loves himself, a lot!

Polish_20210805_151132159.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 8

44 minutes ago, SimplyMe said:

Is this what I think it is… a dig on Jana now?!  

32F9EA8A-B456-46C1-B773-38E48C6E3FE6.png

Either tone deaf timing or Amy is stuffing that NDA up JBs ass since she has plenty of post NDA material to snark on. Come towards the light, Amy, we have many questions!

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

The citation is posted and this has nothing to do with driving or any vehicle.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 3

36 minutes ago, imokit said:

Jana's been in charge of a million kids... I'm guessing in this case one of the little ones is a wanderer and she wasn't aware of that (or maybe the kid doesn't wander out at their own home but was at the TTH and wanted to go home).  I saw I think on reddit (and I think that person said they'd seen it on WOACB but it had been deleted so who knows) that it was Maryella ... so very plausible that Jana was in charge of all of the Ms at the TTH, fell asleep because she's human, and the kid went looking for her mom.  

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

The witness is Jason Hart and there is a person by that name who has the job Arkansas State Police (ASP) / Crimes Against Children Division (CACD) Hotline Operator.

In Missouri, hotline calls might be more likely to result in Child Abuse and Neglect findings, not criminal charges. 

Yikes. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10

43 minutes ago, imokit said:

I don't think anyone expects a parents to stay up all night watching a sleeping child, but I do remember when I was in my late teens/college age, if my mom was leaving in the morning and I was the one in charge, I had to be awake before she left no matter how tired I was.

I also remember a case - probably 15-20 years ago - in my home state which was a tragedy involving two toddlers. Putting it under a spoiler because it might be triggering.

Spoiler

They got out of the house while their parents were sleeping one morning, got into the neighbor's pool, and couldn't climb out. Both of them drowned.

The news broadcasts I saw were very clear that the parents were being charged because there had been a longstanding pattern of unattended, unsupervised children outside, often not dressed for the weather (i.e. out in the winter in only a diaper) in the months leading up to the tragedy but the parents were still on the news looking confused and saying, "We don't understand it...we didn't do anything wrong, we just went back to sleep."

So if sleeping was a factor, my money is on the idea that either an injury happened, or else there was a BIG near miss (like children walking along a roadway alone) that couldn't be ignored - or possibly there was a pattern of this sort of thing and whatever prompted the charges was the proverbial straw.

• Upvote 6

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic