IGNORED

Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!

Coconut Flan

2 minutes ago, molecule said:

On the page about school traditions, I found this. 

image.thumb.png.31bf0b9ab50bf8c14004c0fbf6be6170.png

Did Steve know he was sending his daughters to live among Christmas decorations?

I doubt ABC celebrates Halloween, but I bet they have “fall activities.” Which can get close to Halloweenie behavior. 

• Upvote 8

19 minutes ago, molecule said:

The young woman in the picture with them looks a bit like Anna 3. Could it be one of her sisters?

Another dropped jaw here, by the way. 

I initially thought you might be right, but on closer inspection I don't think the teeth or height are right.

image.thumb.png.f21ad8014dff37c87dd9392905b92720.png

image.thumb.png.2ac7988dd340a04705f381168dd1f028.png

• I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

The problem with creating an internet brand is that you are trapped when something happens to you that is off-brand. (See Also: Dooce)

It's especially interesting that Anna and Mary apparently started college last year, or even earlier* but I assume,  the campus going online-classes-only on account of the pandemic, they were able to hide it for a long time. We may only get a glimpse of their anything-but-random life when Anna and Mary come back to the Fathership for a visit.

Given the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth that  ensued when Nathan moved out of his bunk bed and across the street,  when Anna and Mary left, Teri and Sarah may have taken to bed, smelling salts in hand and that's why there are no blog updates.

*this was mentioned in the previous thread, something about them taking classes online and even making the dean's list.

If you do a little bit of checking out the college Facebook, you’ll see that the collge was in person last year. They’ve got an online version of their “Bible Certificate” one year program. Anna and Mary made President’s List for academic achievement in that program, announced in June 21. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 21

I bet the age difference between Anna and Mary and the rest of the young women at the college won’t be a big deal. The Maxwells are probably similar in maturity to a lot of the other fundie girls there. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 15

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

There are a few non-bible study classes offered online--English Lit, Psychology, and Sociology. I suspect last year there may have been more online offerings.

I thought that all students major in Bible Studies + one additional field of their choice at ABC. Perhaps they did the Bible Studies portion online and are now there for the other bit?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I…

what.

what?

I do know two or three people who attended that college.  It is not fundie. Conservative, sure. Jesus focused, yes.  But they are regular TV watching, shorts wearing, sports playing, movie going people that attend there.

Something’s up. Or the world has ended.

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, TheJewAmongUs said:

I doubt Sarah is helping with the nieces and nephews. I think it's pretty clear from the blogs that Anna and Mary like the kids and Sarah is neutral at best to all but the older girls (who are 11 and 13 now and can be the new cousin-moms). The few times Sarah has been photographed with a kid they're almost at arm's length and she has a very forced and fake smile. She's also blogged about being occupied with her writing and editing on their family trips which I think she uses as an excuse to get out of child care duty.

Her favorite kid is Andrew. And I think she does have a huge preference for Nathan's kids. If she is taking care of any of her brothers' kids it would be Nathan. I personally think they are the liveliest and the cutest too!

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The rules say you aren’t allowed to watch rated R or NC 17 but it says nothing about PG 13! Can you imagine the Max gals watching a PG 13 movie?! Oh my.

I can’t imagine the Maxgals watching a movie. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

I can see them watching that anti-abortion movie called “Unplanned.” But that’s about it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

I wonder how long Anna and Mary will feel guilty for participating in very normal activities. I imagine they will sit through a movie or participate in an event with a nagging little voice in their heads saying “Dad would not like this.” I wonder if they will feel conflicted for a while. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

It is too bad that the Maxwell's don't want to talk about their current events on their blog. I'd love to read how Mary and Anna are doing and how Sarah and everyone else is navigating changed rules and routines. Instead we get this moribund recitation of blandness that is currently their blog. I suspect that Steve is behind it all. They might actually be interested if they could talk about what matters to them now. Instead they say nothing of consequence because they don't want to upset Steve. Too bad because  I am entirely snark free when I say I'd love to know how the "girls" are doing.

• Upvote 27
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Nothing new to say. As all of you, I'm absolutely 

That has happened for a reason. I bet Maxhell wasn't as content as they pretend.

Oh this definitely proves that the reality of things in that house is VERY different and more complicated than what Steve and Teri portray. 

And Steve lost his bargaining chip with the younger daughters. He can't just tell them that Prince Conservative Charming will show up on his steed as long as they are obedient and stay home. Because they see what happened to Sarah.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

Just imagine being on FJ 10 years ago in 2011. The Maxwells were still wearing frumpers and most of the kids were still living at home. Now imagine someone from 2021 going back in time and telling us on FJ that: John married a pants wearer, Jesse gets married and moves to another city with his wife and rents an apartment, Joe also moves to another city with his family, the ABC girls wear pants, Sarah stops blogging, and Anna and Mary go to a Bible college in WV. 

Would any of us have believed them? I would have had a hard time believing it. 

• Upvote 36
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 7

21 minutes ago, HoneyBunny said:

I think when she was first married Chelsy did invite them over to watch movies with her while John was out of town.

• Upvote 10

33 minutes ago, sableduck said:

I…

what.

what?

I do know two or three people who attended that college.  It is not fundie. Conservative, sure. Jesus focused, yes.  But they are regular TV watching, shorts wearing, sports playing, movie going people that attend there.

Something’s up. Or the world has ended.

It depends on your definition of fundie. Judging by the theology and rules, other than the skirts only thing, it is not much different than my fundie school. IFB and nondenominational are fundie to most of us.

• Upvote 8

11 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

It depends on your definition of fundie. Judging by the theology and rules, other than the skirts only thing, it is not much different than my fundie school. IFB and nondenominational are fundie to most of us.

I should rephrase—the people I knew who went were not fundamentalist or IFB.  Most of my IFB family that went to college went to Hyles-Anderson or PCC(none made it through a second semester). 

• Upvote 11

6 minutes ago, sableduck said:

I should rephrase—the people I knew who went were not fundamentalist or IFB.  Most of my IFB family that went to college went to Hyles-Anderson or PCC(none made it through a second semester). 

Awwww, that is sad. Was it because of the quality of their previous education or something else?

Thanks @Jigsaw3 for pointing out that the college is accredited! Let that sink in! The Bates always got a lot of credit for sending their kids to the unaccredited Crown college, which is in state and near where they live! Did any Bates live on-campus?

The Maxwells haven't been all ankle-length skirts for a while. They have worn ankle-length skirts recently, but not excusively. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I can’t believe Steve didn’t pick the strictest of all Bible colleges for Anna and Mary. I know this place is strict. But there are actually stricter places that they could’ve gone to. This college doesn’t even have a dress code against contrasting buttons for fucks sake! 

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 20
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Awwww, that is sad. Was it because of the quality of their previous education or something else?

I have fundie cousins. Well, they grew up fundie; only one stayed truly fundie and even she has been married over six years & they have no babies because he was in school and now she is. But anyway. What was I getting at? 

Oh, yeah. One of those cousins went to PCC. 

They were very fundie - most born in Polynesia as my uncle, their father, was a "missionary".  They disowned family members for not being fundie enough - the whole nine yards of ugly fundie. 

This female cousin was the pride of their little community, with her acceptance & commitment to PCC. There were parties and send offs and so much BS about the great things she was going to do for god, blah, blah, blah. It was like a hero being sent off to war or something. The video my uncle took when she left was vomit inducing. 

She was home three weeks later. Never heard why. Never discussed. We're about 15 years on now, and still, no one knows. She ended up at the Community College (no shame; she probably should have just started there) & working at Amazon fulfillment. She married an older man she met at Amazon, they bought an old rundown house, then had a kid about 4 years ago. 

All as if PCC never existed. Even one of her brothers, the only one of them I really communicate with, doesn't know what happened. He is in the Navy and not around and that precluded him from knowing the story, then and since. 

It's all very weird. 

• Upvote 12

They seem to take qualifications seriously even if the homeschool content is restricted in content. I remember coming across the posts where Teri oversees exams for the older grandchildren. And the IT sons have a string of accreditation. So if the girls had to go to college at all I'm not surprised they wanted a qualification to show value for money.

I wonder who is paying. Steve cant stop the independent children doing what they want with their money, but living away in dorms plus college fees even for one year must be pretty $$$.

• Upvote 21

I think this is bigger news than IF Jana Duggar got married. Many a female Duggar has wed, but no Maxwell gal has gone away to college until now.

Imagining the convo:

Anna: But you and mom went to college and even met your life love partners. 

Steve and T: Ummmmmmm

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 5

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

I think this is bigger news than IF Jana Duggar got married. Many a female Duggar has wed, but no Maxwell gal has gone away to college until now.

Imagining the convo:

Anna: But you and mom went to college and even met your life love partners. 

Steve and T: Ummmmmmm

I won’t be shocked at all if Jana marries by the end of this year since we know something is going on with Stephen Wissmann. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, Bethy said:

Pretty sure this is Mary over on the far right in this pic from the ABC FB page. Impossible to really tell what she's wearing but it doesn't flare like a skirt.

appalachian.thumb.jpg.236aff36755c3a0549fc8a057af20ff7.jpg

For a brief bit I thought the gal in the red peasant top was Sarah! Alas. PS - i agree with you on it being Mary, just barely in frame. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

No, they actually had decent educations. They went to an IFB church school but were taught by women who had education degrees and used Abeka, which wouldn’t be my flavor but if taught the way it’s meant to be isn’t a terrible education. The math, at least 15-20 years ago, was actually pretty rigorous.

The one cousin who went to PCC had a nervous breakdown at the end of the first semester.  The rules and the atmosphere of tattling/paranoia was ridiculous.  I think mostly my cousins found the stringent and over the top rules at both campuses to be more than they could handle and didn’t go back. 
None of them are fundie or IFB anymore.

Edited by sableduck
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic