IGNORED

Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, sableduck said:

No, they actually had decent educations. They went to an IFB church school but were taught by women who had education degrees and used Abeka, which wouldn’t be my flavor but if taught the way it’s meant to be isn’t a terrible education. The math, at least 15-20 years ago, was actually pretty rigorous.

The one cousin who went to PCC had a nervous breakdown at the end of the first semester.  The rules and the atmosphere of tattling/paranoia was ridiculous.  I think mostly my cousins found the stringent and over the top rules at both campuses to be more than they could handle and didn’t go back. 
None of them are fundie or IFB anymore.

My pre-high school education was Abeka/Bob Jones/PCC based but fairly classical as well. I was in the top echelon of the honors program in my 3000 person public high school and went to a selective private secular women's college with 18 hours of AP credit, so I know it can be done!

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

I think there is an outside chance that Steve is sufficiently ill—perhaps cognitively impaired—that he is no longer in control. The sons and Mom would likely be in favor of college for their sisters. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think there is an outside chance that Steve is sufficiently ill—perhaps cognitively impaired—that he is no longer in control. The sons and Mom would likely be in favor of college for their sisters. 

….. I have been wondering the same thing. Something has changed in Maxhell.  I think Steve's health is a factor. Perhaps he realizes he needs to prepare the remaining 'kids' to survive on their own someday... perhaps the sons made it clear they would not be supporting their younger siblings post Steve... Who knows but there is some reason so much has changed so fast.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
Removed text and informed user
  • Upvote 25

2 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I have been wondering the same thing. Something has changed in Maxhell.  I think Steve's health is a factor. Perhaps he realizes he needs to prepare the remaining 'kids' to survive on their own someday... perhaps the sons made it clear they would not be supporting their younger siblings post Steve... Who knows but there is some reason so much has changed so fast.

It could be his health is in decline (we've thought his color/general appearance looked "off" for a couple years now) or it could be the simple realization that his three adult daughters are not going to be able to support themselves indefinitely with no real career or job skill set. I think he truly thought all three would marry off and then they'd be their husbands' problems, not his. His lofty words about how "the girls" are welcome to keep and inhabit the house after he and Teri are gone were probably not meant to include all three of them, just maybe whichever one of the three might fail to launch.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4

I spotted a girl at ABC with a nose ring. That’s not allowed at PCC. What if Steve and Teri went with the girls to move them in, saw the short shorts, tight jeans, contrasting buttons, and nose rings? 

• Upvote 7

So the college FB page mentions Mary and Anna having achieved the President's List back in June. I'm wondering if this might have paid a part in them going on to study on campus for this academic year. Would they be able to achieve a scholarship for having got such good grades, partial at least? Plus, to Steve it promotes the success of their own homeschooling materials. If they hadn't done so well then Steve might not have seen it being worth the sacrifice in position. Compared to if they seemed to struggle academically, which seems less of a risk. 

Also, both Anna and Mary have contributed to the family businesses. So despite the financial cost it's well deserved. Perhaps they've even been getting paid wages,so are....FUNDING THEMSELVES?!

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, ClareDeLune said:

I wonder who is paying. Steve cant stop the independent children doing what they want with their money, but living away in dorms plus college fees even for one year must be pretty $$$.

This is a good question. I wonder how much weight the Maxwell name still carries in Fundie circles and if that would hold any sway at this school?

I also wonder if they got scholarships from their earlier grades in the online semesters. 

• Upvote 8

Question: Is Steve grudgingly allowing them to go? As in- well I have to give in or I will lose them completely. Or are they going with his 100% blessing. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

This is a good question. I wonder how much weight the Maxwell name still carries in Fundie circles and if that would hold any sway at this school?

I also wonder if they got scholarships from their earlier grades in the online semesters. 

Honestly I think most fundie circles wouldn’t even recognize the name now. Some might recognize managers of their homes but not connect it with the family.  Over time, the Maxwells became too extreme even for many homeschooling fundie families.  Most still participate in sports, don’t discourage their sons from becoming EMTs(I mean even ALERT at some level trains you to take the National registry EMT exam), and don’t worry about contrasting buttons.

I’m guessing the college officials had and have no idea about their family. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

12 minutes ago, sableduck said:

Honestly I think most fundie circles wouldn’t even recognize the name now. Some might recognize managers of their homes but not connect it with the family.  Over time, the Maxwells became too extreme even for many homeschooling fundie families.  Most still participate in sports, don’t discourage their sons from becoming EMTs(I mean even ALERT at some level trains you to take the National registry EMT exam), and don’t worry about contrasting buttons.

I’m guessing the college officials had and have no idea about their family. 

No, but I bet the girls have at least one run-in with a Moody reader on campus. Awkward fact: it's entirely possible that some homeschooled seven-year-old bought a Moody book at a conference or homeschool convention once upon a time and Anna, who was, at that time, the right age to be going to college (but was too busy writing blog essays on why she wouldn't) handled the transaction...now that seven-year-old is a college freshman and Anna is a fellow student.

• Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2

A lot of fundies know each other from conferences, traveling around with their ministries, church functions, and weddings of mutual friends. So I wouldn’t be surprised if Anna and Mary already knew a few of their school mates. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, sableduck said:

I…

what.

what?

I do know two or three people who attended that college.  It is not fundie. Conservative, sure. Jesus focused, yes.  But they are regular TV watching, shorts wearing, sports playing, movie going people that attend there.

Something’s up. Or the world has ended.

Shhh, don't tell Steve!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, ElizaB said:

Question: Is Steve grudgingly allowing them to go? As in- well I have to give in or I will lose them completely. Or are they going with his 100% blessing. 

He let them go on missions for at least 2 Summers. Maybe they really did a Summer program through a Bible college.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

My guess is the younger brothers who moved away had a lot to do with the changes. Even if their circles it’s not a good look when all the sons get married but all the daughters don’t. I’m curious to see where this leads both “girls” once they graduate. 

• Upvote 18

13 minutes ago, TheJewAmongUs said:

He let them go on missions for at least 2 Summers. Maybe they really did a Summer program through a Bible college.

Jillbillies take notice! You can go to school!

• Upvote 13

If you go to the ABC facebook page and scroll back to December 2020, you will see that Anna and Mary were on the President's list for the fall semester as well.  So, it appears that have been studying online at ABC for at least an entire year.   I wonder if they completed the one year Bible certificate before proceeding to their core subjects?  I really hope that at some point the Maxwell Blog shares the story of their decision to go to college. All snark aside, it would be interesting to know the discernment that went into the decision.  I expect it wasn't an easy one, and like others have pointed out, it could be very helpful for other conservative Christian families to hear how the decision was made.

I am thrilled that these women will have the opportunity to study, meet new people, join clubs, attend social events, and perhaps even fall in love.  Here's hoping that they both complete a BA, and meet their soul mate.  I would genuinely love Anna and Mary (and Sarah) to have a "happy ending".

Edited by daisyjane1234
  • Upvote 24
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

49 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Jillbillies take notice! You can go to school!

They cannot. The thing with the Maxwells is that Steve and Teri are actually educated and intelligent. That means their homeschooling was much better than the ‘billies and the parents invested at least somewhat in the kids- look at the boys. All save Christopher seem to have certificates and businesses that are making some money. Sarah is at least churning out books and making money on sales. The Rods have one kid that failed college twice. And he is probably the best educated of the lot. 

• Upvote 37
  • I Agree 5

12 hours ago, Bethy said:

I just hope they can find folks who will be patient with them while they grow and not write them off as weird geriatric legalists undeserving of friendships.

Yeah, I can just imagine the awkward silence when they explain the importance of Steve's reversal, and you know they will. 

Also, the girls are there as accountability partners, but I do hope they have fun, meet lots of new people, learn new things and in general experience LIFE! 

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

A possibility to consider.  But I have to say that, as a person in her early 70s, it's not decrepit old age.  However, it's when the big unwelcome surprises can begin to come (cancer, Parkinsons, dementia, heart attack, etc) so who knows what's up with Steve.  

I've buried three friends in my general age group in the last several years; it's just life. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 9

Oh my God.  Hell really did freeze over.  Look at those two with their rebellious spirits.  Backslidden at bible school.  LOL  

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Howl said:

Yeah, I can just imagine the awkward silence when they explain the importance of Steve's reversal, and you know they will. 

Also, the girls are there as accountability partners, but I do hope they have fun, meet lots of new people, learn new things and in general experience LIFE! 

A possibility to consider.  But I have to say that, as a person in her early 70s, it's not decrepit old age.  However, it's when the big unwelcome surprises can begin to come (cancer, Parkinsons, dementia, heart attack, etc) so who knows what's up with Steve.  

I've buried three friends in my general age group in the last several years; it's just life. 

I’ll be 70 in November, and I know what you mean. I suspect Steve isn’t aging well and maybe can’t summon his former autocratic energy; a resulting power vacuum may have allowed many of the changes we have seen. 

• Upvote 15

I looked at some of the academic information on the school website. I spent a lot of years teaching college writing, and I actually recognize the textbooks used in their English composition classes. In fact, one is a newer edition of my favorite handbook. Also, the course requirements do include some legit-looking general studies classes mixed in with all the bible stuff.

The "girls" will get more of a real college education than I thought possible. Also, I have to say that the college website has an awesome url with abc.edu.

• Upvote 20
  • Thank You 5

Now when we say ABC girls, it could mean Abby, Betsy, and Christina or it could mean Anna and Mary attending ABC. 

It is already confusing enough with 3 Anna Maxwells in the family. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 20
  • I Agree 1

Ministry degrees seem like ABC's specialty, and that's something that would be about as useful to the Maxwomen as anything else. Especially if they keep up with missionary work. 

Worst case scenario, their time at an actual accredited college will better equip them to help homeschool their nieces and nephews. I truly do not believe that this is Steve's only  goal in providing this opportunity, but if the precedent and extra education open new doors for the younger members of the family, that's good too. 

• Upvote 10

Given the current teacher shortage and that this college is accredited, Mary and Anna could end up being qualified to teach in a public school. I doubt they would want to, but at least the opportunity is there for them.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

44 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Given the current teacher shortage and that this college is accredited, Mary and Anna could end up being qualified to teach in a public school. I doubt they would want to, but at least the opportunity is there for them.

It would be ironic if they are getting an education degree to teach in a public, or even private, school after the Maxwell's have touted homeschool as the end all and be all.  

I would like to know the timeline for some of these weird events... girls started college (Fall 2019?), Jesse starts paying *gasp* rent and sells his paid for house, Joe moves out of the compound and possibly has a *double gasp* mortgage, Sarah gets a car, the clan starts attending a real church where the average age of the members is below 80 and Steve is not the minister, PANTS are worn by females in the extended family (and maybe immediate family), etc. Lots of things that all seem to have happened in a relatively short timeline.  How does this timeline compare to the timing of Steve's illness?  Is there a connection?  And is this all connected to Teri appearing more relaxed looking lately in many blog post pictures? 

• Upvote 23
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic