IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 42: Managing without TLC

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I am 38 and am currently recovering from shingles and it is agony. 

It is indeed agony. I wish you speedy healing. I hope you were able to get the anti virals. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

My great grandmother’s shingles were on her scalp. I already have a sensitive scalp so the thought of shingles there makes me wince. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

It is indeed agony. I wish you speedy healing. I hope you were able to get the anti virals. 

I was! And I am on my way to recovery. I am lucky that I noticed the rash immediately. But it is awful. Mine are centered on my hip and back and make walking Hard 

• Love 10

21 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

I was! And I am on my way to recovery. I am lucky that I noticed the rash immediately. But it is awful. Mine are centered on my hip and back and make walking Hard 

I couldn’t wear pants. Not even shorts and basically walked around in only a large T-shirt. Mine was on my thigh and back

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 5

On 11/2/2021 at 2:51 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Btw guys, I didn’t get mono from kissing 😝 I got it from sharing drinks at the bar with my girlfriends. We were seniors in college and getting senioritis pretty bad. We loved to all order different drinks and then taste each other’s drinks to see what we liked. Therefore I got mono from either my BFF or our other very close friend. The three of us had mono and strep all at the same time. My boyfriend at the time already had mono when he was younger so he never caught it from me. It put a real damper on senior year. 

I got mono earlier this year and as of today I have no idea of how I got it! At the time we were in lockdown and I was not even going to work. The highlight of my social life at the time was the weekly trip to the supermarket, and I wore my mask and everything, so it's still a mistery to me... and I definitely did not kiss anyone! 😂

It started with tonsil stones and a sore throat, my doctor said it was just tonsillitis and prescribed me a full 7 days cycle of antibiotics, after which I was covered with an itchy rash all over my body. At that point I was scared af because I had never had such type of reactions in my whole life and was already planning to go to the ER (it all happened at weekend when my doctor's practice was closed). Thank God one of my neighbours is a doctor too, and she reassured me that the rash was due to the interaction between the antibiotics and the mono virus, which was confirmed by the blood tests I took a few days later. Long story short, my neighbour gave me some antihistamine to ease the itch of the rash. This and the fatigue caused by mono (for which I had previously blamed the antibiotics) made me sleep aaaaaall the weekend. On Monday morning I had such a relaxed and refreshed face that it looked as if I had been on holiday 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Love 10

3 minutes ago, christiane87 said:

I got mono earlier this year and as of today I have no idea of how I got it! At the time we were in lockdown and I was not even going to work. The highlight of my social life at the time was the weekly trip to the supermarket, and I wore my mask and everything, so it's still a mistery to me... and I definitely did not kiss anyone! 😂

It started with tonsil stones and a sore throat, my doctor said it was just tonsillitis and prescribed me a full 7 days cycle of antibiotics, after which I was covered with an itchy rash all over my body. At that point I was scared af because I had never had such type of reactions in my whole life and was already planning to go to the ER (it all happened at weekend when my doctor's practice was closed). Thank God one of my neighbours is a doctor too, and she reassured me that the rash was due to the interaction between the antibiotics and the mono virus, which was confirmed by the blood tests I took a few days later. Long story short, my neighbour gave me some antihistamine to ease the itch of the rash. This and the fatigue caused by mono (for which I had previously blamed the antibiotics) made me sleep aaaaaall the weekend. On Monday morning I had such a relaxed and refreshed face that it looked as if I had been on holiday 😂

I think there can be a really long amount of time between exposure and developing symptoms. So even a few weeks before you showed symptoms can be when you got it. 

• Upvote 5

I came down with mono in 1989, at age 24.  I blamed it on my extremely busy lifestyle at the time-teaching full-time; working part time at CVS nights and weekends; commuting to grad school 50 miles round trip twice a week and in between all of this, seeing my boyfriend at the time and hanging out with my friends.  It put me down for the count and out of work for at least two weeks and took me forever to get my stamina back.  I remember a lot of sleeping and crashing on the couch.  I didn't even have the strength to watch TV.  I ended up reducing my already minimal social drinking,  quitting my part-time job and cutting back on some socializing.  

I also ended up contracting a form of hepatitis from it.  My liver was swollen and my urine looked like Coca-Cola for days. Ironically, 32 years later, my recent physical lab work revealed high liver enzymes and I now have to undergo additional blood work to rule out a fatty liver.  It was mentioned to me that prior liver disease could affect the enzymes so I hope the 1989 mono bout is what's causing this.  Fingers crossed!  

• Love 19

It looks like JB will have a Republican challenger after all. Primaries are on December 14th.

At a quick glance, he seems to be everything JB claims he is and stands for but with actual experience doing those things. Chaplain, medic, Navy veteran. It looks like he is retired but has been serving in volunteer capacity in a couple different roles.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/election/your-local-election/springdale-man-challenges-for-vacant-arkansas-senate-seat/amp/

• Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 32

9 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

It looks like JB will have a Republican challenger after all. Primaries are on December 14th.

At a quick glance, he seems to be everything JB claims he is and stands for but with actual experience doing those things. Chaplain, medic, Navy veteran. It looks like he is retired but has been serving in volunteer capacity in a couple different roles.

https://www.nwahomepage.com/election/your-local-election/springdale-man-challenges-for-vacant-arkansas-senate-seat/amp/

Wait, what…this person has actually worked hard, served his country, and continues to volunteer? He probably has a decent education and is motivated as he is a retired Naval Captain. Apparently, he is the anti-JB!

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 28
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

So they have a regular Republican running against a fundie Republican? If I had to choose, I'd choose the regular.

According to Linked In, he's got a business degree from the U of Arkansas, volunteers with something called the National Child Protection Task Force, https://www.ncptf.org/, and the local Search and Rescue organization, and has served on the local board of an adoption/foster care organization, Bethany Christian Services.

He may still be a rabidly anti-choice fundy Christian, but he sounds about 100 times more useful than Jim Bob.

But Jim Bob has huge name recognition, money, access to a far right political network up to and including national names like the  Huckabee family, and a boatload of kids, grandkids and family friends who can go out and campaign.

I can totally see Bontragers, Bowers or Wissmans coming down to perform at campaign events.

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 19
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

But Jim Bob has huge name recognition, money, access to a far right political network up to and including national names like the  Huckabee family, and a boatload of kids, grandkids and family friends who can go out and campaign.

I can totally see Bontragers, Bowers or Wissmans coming down to perform at campaign events.

He seems to lead a more private life for sure but still is the type of man who gets asked to speak at local Kiwanis events, and I believe he is the same Captain Steve Unger of Springdale who was appointed by the current governor, Asa Hutchinson, to serve on the Arkansas Abstracters' Board (something to do with real estate law). That kind of quiet service, bolstered by the military career, might speak better to a local community tired of the Duggar circus.

He's definitely a religious man but does not appear to be Quiverful. He and his wife raised two children to adulthood. I sincerely hope that JB leaves his opponent's family and faith alone when campaigning. If he doesn't, then I hope it bites him in the butt come primary time.

Edited by BensAllergies
  • Upvote 18

22 hours ago, HereticHick said:

According to Linked In, he's got a business degree from the U of Arkansas, volunteers with something called the National Child Protection Task Force, https://www.ncptf.org/, and the local Search and Rescue organization, and has served on the local board of an adoption/foster care organization, Bethany Christian Services.

He may still be a rabidly anti-choice fundy Christian, but he sounds about 100 times more useful than Jim Bob.

Oh that makes it interesting. I looked up National Child Protection Task Force, and their mission seems to be protecting kids from sex trafficking, Being victims of CSA, particularly not getting targeted and exposed to CSA materials on-line. Catching perpetrators of CSA materials…..

Also, their area is honestly a lot more diverse than I would of expected. Particularly having a large community of Pacific Islanders. That seems kind of random given the geographic location….

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Also, their area is honestly a lot more diverse than I would of expected. Particularly having a large community of Pacific Islanders. That seems kind of random given the geographic location….

The Springdale AR area boasts the largest concentrated Marshall Islands population, with over 12,000 Marshallese residents.  Here's a fascinating article about the Marshallese population in Arkansas.  The Marshallese people originally began settling in Hawaii and California, but eventually migrated to the Midwest due to appreciation of a lower cost of living. https://www.mei.ngo/marshallese-in-arkansas#:~:text=More%20than%2015%2C000%20Marshallese%20live%20in%20northwest%20Arkansas,%281947-1986%29%2C%20Marshallese%20were%20not%20allowed%20to%20travel%20freely.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 11

10 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

The Springdale AR area boasts the largest concentrated Marshall Islands population, with over 12,000 Marshallese residents.  Here's a fascinating article about the Marshallese population in Arkansas.  The Marshallese people originally began settling in Hawaii and California, but eventually migrated to the Midwest due to appreciation of a lower cost of living. https://www.mei.ngo/marshallese-in-arkansas#:~:text=More%20than%2015%2C000%20Marshallese%20live%20in%20northwest%20Arkansas,%281947-1986%29%2C%20Marshallese%20were%20not%20allowed%20to%20travel%20freely.

Thanks for the info, that’s really interesting! Horrible about the impact from the bomb testing. It sounds like a good fit from a religious perspective, I wonder if the impact of climate change in the Marshall Islands will lead to more awareness in NWA, despite it being such a generally conservative area? 

• Upvote 5

On 11/9/2021 at 11:46 AM, HereticHick said:

JB Duggar does have name recognition and money, although the money also needs to support to last long enough to support his children and grandchildren dependent on him. 

I doubt he has access to right-wing power players. Huckabee is from Arkansas so probably a lot of people know him. JB's opponent is a navy vet and a chaplain; he probably has his own network. He may know someone who knows Huckabee. 

Only the very far right wing Christians care about Bontragers, Bowers or Wissmans. 

Josh took a lot of pictures with important Republicans during his FRC days, but those are long gone. Nobody wants to be associated with Josh anymore then they can help it, including Jim Bob himself. He doesn't have a lot of political connections and the Duggars are not necessarily popular in Arkansas. Everyone I've heard talk about them from Arkansas says something like yes we know who they are, but they're unusual even by Arkansas standards.

I have no idea what happens behind the scenes, but it wouldn't surprise me if the local Republican party was searching for someone else to run against JB. The Duggar brand is very low, and that's before Josh is found guilty or accepts a plea.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

On 11/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Idlewild said:

I expect JB is scratching his lacquered head over the word ‘volunteer’.

I hope he doesn’t scratch too hard, he will end up with splinters. If any one ever had a wooden brainless ( but still conniving ) head it’s J-B. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Oh that makes it interesting. I looked up National Child Protection Task Force, and their mission seems to be protecting kids from sex trafficking, Being victims of CSA, particularly not getting targeted and exposed to CSA materials on-line. Catching perpetrators of CSA materials…..

Let’s see, JB’s eldest son is facing trial for downloading CSA & his republican opponent just happens to volunteer for an organization dedicated to protecting kids from CSA, what a coincidence!

I wouldn’t be surprised if after JB announced he was running, the local republican organization urged his opponent to run against him as they likely wanted a viable candidate for the general election.

I’m still shaking my head at the timing, most people dealing w/ a child being prosecuted & possibly going to prison for any reason wouldn’t jump into an election until after the dust had settled.

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 27
  • I Agree 11

17 minutes ago, sndral said:

Let’s see, JB’s eldest son is facing trial for downloading CSA & his republican opponent just happens to volunteer for an organization dedicated to protecting kids from CSA, what a coincidence!

I wouldn’t be surprised if after JB announced he was running, the local republican organization urged his opponent to run against him as they likely wanted a viable candidate for the general election.

I’m still shaking my head at the timing, most people dealing w/ a child being prosecuted & possibly going to prison for any reason wouldn’t jump into an election until after the dust had settled.

Most sane people with child molestation within the family would NEVER sell their family (as devout, holy or superior)to the media, for public con$umption. JB allows fame and money to cloud any sane or logical judgement.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

On 9/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m just hoping a sudden rash of males start being born into the Duggar family. There are way too many girls being born into that sexist patriarchal family. 

Especially given Josh and their grandparents' attitudes toward what he likes to do. I think of that picture where they had 9--I think--all little granddaughters born in a row and I just want to cry.

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Most sane people with child molestation within the family would NEVER sell their family (as devout, holy or superior)to the media, for public con$umption. JB allows fame and money to cloud any sane or logical judgement.

He has managed to come this far on what I believe to be endless gall along with some innate business sense.  I doubt he cares how running for office looks.  If he wins it won't matter.

While I think there's something very wrong with him, I also think he knows exactly what he's doing and has no intention of stopping.  Lesser beings can worry about the effects on their families and what the general public might think.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

He has managed to come this far on what I believe to be endless gall along with some innate business sense.  I doubt he cares how running for office looks.  If he wins it won't matter.

While I think there's something very wrong with him, I also think he knows exactly what he's doing and has no intention of stopping.  Lesser beings can worry about the effects on their families and what the general public might think.

Endless arrogance 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic