IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 42: Managing without TLC

Coconut Flan

I saw this news about Jim Bob running for Senate on FB under Duggar Family Official.  When it came up on my newsfeed I honestly thought we were being punked and didn't take it seriously.  Joke's on me, I guess.   All I have to say about it is that we are truly in Bizarro World, where right is wrong and wrong is right. 

I assume politician wannabe Jed! will be his campaign manager? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, postscript said:

So Jim Bob is going to be spending money on a political campaign at the same time he’s funding Josh’s legal bills? Two massive expenses at the same time? While at least partially funding the seemingly work-free lifestyles of multiple other kids? His financial priorities never cease to amaze me. 

Didn’t they use up all their savings (pre TLC) on his previous political campaign and when he didn’t get re-elected went through a period of being very poor (mooching housing from a church, eating a lot of rice, etc.) until they were rescued by TLC?

This time around they have a lot or real estate (rental property?) and other sources of income.  They should be all right.

• Upvote 6

Even the craziest republicans hate men who download CSA material. I think voters will remember Josh and how JB covered things up in the past. No matter how pro gun pro life or anti mask they are. 

• Upvote 19

I think Trump has given him the confidence that he can spin this whole issue with Josh as a liberal attack on family values and use it all to relaunch his political career. 

• Upvote 16
  • Disgust 4
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

Wasn't he in the House of Representatives previously as well?

Yes--in the Arkansas House of Representatives for four years, from 1999 to 2002.

This is a special election to replace a guy who just resigned yesterday--the special election date has not been set yet (no, it won't be next week). And with a low-turnout special election, Jim Bob has a real chance. I think this would be January at the earliest. I don't know what the primary rules are for Arkansas state special elections.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/arkansas/articles/2021-10-29/northwest-arkansas-state-senator-resigns-to-take-new-job

By the way, the per diem for legislators residing +50 miles from the capitol: $151/day.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 15

The seat has been opened up by the retirement of the current incumbent, & it's gonna get a special election as a result according to this reporting. Leveraging special elections & their low turnouts has been a crucial part of Republican vote suppression for a long long time.

ETA: HereticHick beat me to it but we have different links so I'll leave mine.

Edited by PinkGreyBrown
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 9

2 minutes ago, PinkGreyBrown said:

The seat has been opened up by the retirement of the current incumbent, & it's gonna get a special election as a result according to this reporting. Leveraging special elections & their low turnouts has been a crucial part of Republican vote suppression for a long long time.

Yes. And JimBob has the $$ and an army of fundy volunteers, so he jumped right into the race. He has a serious chance.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

These people are more delusional than I ever dreamed they were before. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I hate to say this but look at Marjorie Taylor Greene. Her ass should be in jail or a mental institution. There are a lot of morons and crazy people out there. 

Lauren Boebert too

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Casserole said:

Damn, I wish I had the confidence of a middle aged white man. 

Or a young, uneducated man, that use to still share a room with his twin, a few feet away..even though there was an extra bedroom at there house. But don't worry he's married and has a baby on the way. So SURELY this will give him a better chance at winning next time🙄

• Upvote 6

It sounds like as well as the usual gun/bible/penis platform, JB is jumping on the anti vax bandwagon.

It will be interesting to see if their old buddies the Huckabees support him.

There’ll probably be a flurry of engagements/weddings/baby announcements to distract from the elephant turd in the room.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I saw this news about Jim Bob running for Senate on FB under Duggar Family Official.  When it came up on my newsfeed I honestly thought we were being punked and didn't take it seriously.  Joke's on me, I guess.   All I have to say about it is that we are truly in Bizarro World, where right is wrong and wrong is right. 

I assume politician wannabe Jed! will be his campaign manager? 

I came right to FJ when I saw this on my FB and screetched. How in holy hell does this man think he should run for public office right now?!? I am in awe of the sheer audacity and hubris. They continually get worse at being humans. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I can’t link to the story as it doesn’t allow Europeans, but I saw a comment that JB and some friends have bought a theatre in Branson- does anyone know anything about this? 

• Upvote 1

I’m disgusted at JB running again. I hope even some of his kids see this as a WTF moment and see through the bullshit. This timing is nothing but a distraction! I hope he loses in a landslide!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

It's the Tony Orlando Theater.  There turning it into a museum called Freedom Encounter:

https://www.freedomencounter.com/

Sounds to me like American history from a skewed fundie perspective.  Guess who their legal advisor is?  David Gibbs, Jr!  He works for IBLP!

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Thank You 12

The campaign announcement mentioned 22 grandchildren, so it appears M7 is here. Looks like we won't be getting a birth announcement.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 3

15 minutes ago, WannabeHistorian said:

The campaign announcement mentioned 22 grandchildren, so it appears M7 is here. Looks like we won't be getting a birth announcement.

Probably so. If they were counting the unborn, Katey is pregnant, so it would be 23. 

“Jim Bob: Not as Crazy as Some Republicans These Days” might fly at the moment, especially in a special election. I wonder if he might even be challenged by the lunatic right.

• Upvote 10

I think that there's a strong chance that he'll win the senate seat since it's a special election.  This just adds to my depression and anxiety that half of the country has lost its d*nn mind and thrown common sense out the window.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

I wonder if JB had the decency to even consult with Jed to see if he wanted to run. Since the current senator just announced his resignation, this was a very quick decision by JB, unless he had some inside information. I bet JB told Jed that JB will serve a couple of terms and then pass it down to Jed.

• Upvote 5

JB needs the money. JB needs all the moneyz. Campaigning is a lucrative grift, especially for those who don't need help with the daily bills but would like to travel, dine, & network more than they can afford. There's a whole class of political grifters who use campaigns to sell their books; they don't have a realistic chance at office but they'll sell a bunch of books & the campaign pays for all the travel costs -- transport, hotels, meals. (Sweet deal, authors typically have to pay their own costs to promote their books.) Been a lot of POTUS candidates these last few decades that fit the description. In addition to all the obvious stuff JB's presumably chasing -- power-seeking, salary, very good medical insurance & pension stuff, etc.

& there's all kinds of shenanigans possible with dark money vehicles these days. In all likelihood he has at least one wealthy political donor who's egging him on. There's a lot lot of right-wing money sloshing around, looking for propagandists to spend on. Look at that ridiculous James O'Keefe guy, he's rolling in cash for being a second-rate video jester. & all the many right-wing media outlets, almost all of which exist because of subsidies from wealthy patrons. I'm more familiar with the fossil-fuel-climate-change-denial end of things, but there's more than enough to send nice fatty contributions to every fundie family followed hereabouts, every year.

I've been meaning to point out the extensive web of deep-pocketed donors on the right when I'm reading the threads on the Andersons, in particular. I'd bet cash money that PP gets fat contributions from wealthy patrons at least occasionally. Any warm body willing to spout off in public about limited government & all the standard Republican talking points is eligible for wingnut welfare, is what I'm saying. Don't be surprised if, say, the Rods have wealthy patrons. & I'd be shocked if JimBob doesn't have at least several rich guys writing him campaign donation checks & holding fundraisers for him.

• Upvote 13

Hot take 1:
Is it sad that my first thought was what type of ‘skeletons in the closet’ going to come out of this? I really hope for some good ones but at the same time I’m scared if it’s going to be as creepy as the stuff surrounding Josh. Depending on how he campaign this time & whom he p*as off I would bet someone/some group is going to do go a good dig. Of course, someone could always be sitting on something we suspect but unconfirmed.

Hot take 2:
I doubt the surprise premier of Jim Bob’s new show will make the network postpone Josh’s long awaited new season. They have been teasing us with the first promotion picture in April. Then giving us a short summary at the upfronts in May. Plus every couple weeks dropping hints of what we should expect over the past few months. With all of the marketing they would lose money if pushed back. Plus any coverage in any format is free marketing for the shows.

In all seriousness, what type of person runs for public office when their family have the those type scandals surrounding them that this family has? But after learning it’s a special election it makes sense. I think they are seeing this as at least three type of wins. First, it could take away some of the heat surrounding Josh’s trail (unlikely but possible). Second, he gets to be back in a political position although while small still has some power behind it. Third, if he wins he can push bills that would help his family and maybe just enough that it might help with any of court cases involving the Duggars.

• Upvote 10

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic