IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 42: Managing without TLC

Coconut Flan

8 minutes ago, FleeJanaFree said:

So does Laura currently live with the Duggar’s? Does she work for them in some capacity too?

I guess I was wrong. I thought she helped homeschool.

On 11/27/2021 at 4:01 PM, Mela99 said:

That would be INCREDIBLE if Huckabee slams them for this

I think that Mike Huckabee probably still privately supports them. He defended them initially in 2015, but then quietly removed them from his website. He issued a statement against them late in 2015, but who knows if he wrote it. Because in early 2016 a woman walked him right into the trap of defending them again. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-huckabee-duggar-family_n_56970d67e4b0b4eb759d3aeb

• Upvote 5

50 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I guess I was wrong. I thought she helped homeschool.

No that was Chad’s sister who then married a convicted rapist. After she left, I’m not sure who helped out. But nowadays I’m sure no one helps. Because the kids are all old enough to “teach themselves.” 

• Disgust 1
  • WTF 2

3 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

So does Laura currently live with the Duggar’s? Does she work for them in some capacity too?

As best I can tell from scrolling, she travels around a lot and visits people IBLP style - so extended stays and conferences/camps/mission trips - at least preCOVID. Her posts with Duggars seemed general shared friendship circles in the cult and book-signing/trips/conference related starting in mid 2010s but then progressed to what looks like close friendship with all older girls. She released an Embassy promo pretty recently, so I think she’s still employed by them. Maybe she was working remotely through COVID and living with Duggars or else visiting for extended stays a lot?

I wonder, too, if the people in the inner circle of IBLP - either work longevity or fundie royalty - have special privileges. Like, if she’s staying at the Duggars she might as well be at IBLP Chicago headquarters. Who knows? Maybe they want her there in official support capacity too? I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s all these blurred boundaries…like the Duggars need ministry right now, so go fellowship and also keep an eye out if we need to send out prayer request spin to IBLP followers. She has done events for them in the past, so maybe she “works” for them freelance style as well but not likely to be paid, right? How ridiculous would it be if JB paid Laura for helping plan weddings but not his own kids for years on the show? Who knows, though, I can’t imagine why anyone would study the Bible for three years and still be in the cult either.

• Upvote 5

Elijah is kind of like Laura in that he’s originally from Hawaii was but rarely there. He’s usually at the Duggars, Wissmanns, or Kahles. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Going only off my memory, Laura had something happen in her family to where her mom is the only parent. Laura's siblings are very mainstream. At some point, Laura started attending Journey to the Heart. Her family never went to family camp and I don't believe her sister participated in any of the Journeys and they seemed to be really average middle/upper class white folks. Her sister went to college and was a professional. 

My theory was always that whatever event caused Laura's father not to be present inspired a reaction in Laura to seek out a religious culture where she believed families were happy and whole and Godly. 

Laura has no one telling her she has to live the way she does, this is entirely a choice. She has spent a LOT of time with Anna and the Ms in addition to travelling with Jana a lot. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 8

Josie turns 12 on Friday, beginning the week when Mackynzie, Jordyn, and Josie are all the same age. Wonder how they will celebrate.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Josie turns 12 on Friday, beginning the week when Mackynzie, Jordyn, and Josie are all the same age. Wonder how they will celebrate.

Josh being sent up the river will be a present for all three of them.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

So if i start baking a rhubarb pie now, will it be ready before the jury reaches its verdict, or should i wait? I must have pie today. And my rhubarb plant blessed me with big stems. I might add vanilla creme, ice cream and whipped cream. Maybe it will be a streusel cake. But in any case it is cake day.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

1 minute ago, Sabine said:

So if i start baking a rhubarb pie now, will it be ready before the jury reaches its verdict, or should i wait? I must have pie today. And my rhubarb plant blessed me with big stems. I might add vanilla creme, ice cream and whipped cream. Maybe it will be a streusel cake. But in any case it is cake day.  

I'm stress eating tiramisu right now...

• Love 3

How late in the day will the jury deliberate before they take a break, and come back tomorrow (should that be needed)?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, ContrastingButtons said:

How late in the day will the jury deliberate before they take a break, and come back tomorrow (should that be needed)?

Apparently now. Posting here for folks not in the Josh thread. The jury is supposed to be back at court at 8:30am tomorrow. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, theotherelise said:

Going only off my memory, Laura had something happen in her family to where her mom is the only parent. Laura's siblings are very mainstream. At some point, Laura started attending Journey to the Heart. Her family never went to family camp and I don't believe her sister participated in any of the Journeys and they seemed to be really average middle/upper class white folks. Her sister went to college and was a professional. 

My theory was always that whatever event caused Laura's father not to be present inspired a reaction in Laura to seek out a religious culture where she believed families were happy and whole and Godly. 

Laura has no one telling her she has to live the way she does, this is entirely a choice. She has spent a LOT of time with Anna and the Ms in addition to travelling with Jana a lot. 

That makes sense. She must have been a young teen when she first started, so at some level her mom must have been okay with it back then however mainstream they turned out. Her Instagram posts with fundie royalty go back a long, long time. I posted it up thread but in early 2013 she posted IBLP headquarters photo and said it was her tenth January there. Could be a typo or something, but that would put her in IBLP circles for eighteen years or so.

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 5

41 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

That makes sense. She must have been a young teen when she first started, so at some level her mom must have been okay with it back then however mainstream they turned out. Her Instagram posts with fundie royalty go back a long, long time. I posted it up thread but in early 2013 she posted IBLP headquarters photo and said it was her tenth January there. Could be a typo or something, but that would put her in IBLP circles for eighteen years or so.

And she's 35, so that means she started working at HQ when she was 17.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Totally unrelated I guess, but one time when I was for some reason watching they were asking the family about how they would describe the Duggars' clothing/fashion style, and Josie said, "Ugly."
I started liking the kid.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

She’s 35? 🤯 So she would have been Josh and Anna’s/ David Waller /Brandon-and-Michaela’s peer and maybe have had some of the younger Duggar girls in JTTH. And have been around when Gothard was still in charge.  Interesting.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Her mom might have just thought it was a phase, just a more intense version of the mega church youth groups that are everywhere. Particularly if she was struggling with her Dad leaving, or if she or her siblings were flirting with the usual obnoxious teen risky behaviors  - her mom may even have been relieved. At least at first. It would be interesting to know what the relationship is now. 

• Upvote 7

JB’s campaign FB is praising him for setting up facilities to protect vulnerable children- he is trolling us isn’t he? 
He also claims not to be a politician but a businessman, family man etc. For someone not a politician he likes to be, well, a politician and shove his sons forward to be one too. I hope he gets trounced in this election.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

She's actually 36.

26 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

JB’s campaign FB is praising him for setting up facilities to protect vulnerable children- he is trolling us isn’t he? 
He also claims not to be a politician but a businessman, family man etc. For someone not a politician he likes to be, well, a politician and shove his sons forward to be one too. I hope he gets trounced in this election.

What facilities - prayer closets?  Whether it might be trolling or just profound hypocrisy, I find the claim/praise sickening.

• Upvote 3

On 8/9/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jasmar said:

I got one about two years ago used, in great condition, for $75, because I overcame my extreme anxiety of the phone and called the gal. She said in her ad that she was taking calls only, and I was the first.

When I got to her house, I told her how I never call people,not even friends, because of my silly anxiety. She laughed and said she was the same way. She’d deliberately spelled out that she’d only sell to a caller, not someone responding via messaging, because she wanted it to go to someone who really wanted it.

Its an older one but it’s in amazing condition. She’d really taken good care of it.

I thought I was the only one with phone anxiety.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

What facilities - prayer closets?  Whether it might be trolling or just profound hypocrisy, I find the claim/praise sickening.

He says he helped found places where parents can drop off newborns they don’t want to keep without fear of prosecution. How about creating a society where people don’t need that facility? 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

He says he helped found places where parents can drop off newborns they don’t want to keep without fear of prosecution. How about creating a society where people don’t need that facility? 

Is JB claiming he invented fire stations and libraries? Because those have long been established in the US as “safe places” to drop off babies, no questions asked, rather than abandon them. It’s super shitty that it’s even a problem that needs to be solved in the US, but JB is not the genius who came up with the idea. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe-haven_law

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 3

I’m glad Laura is 36 and unmarried. There’s no doubt she would raise her kids in the cult. It’s better that she and Jana are single during their most fertile years.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 16

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic