IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 9: Whatever Carlin's Trying, She Isn't Nailing It (& Why Is Layla a Naked Hippy Baby?)

nelliebelle1197

6 hours ago, Green bean satan said:

Yeah that was not the fucking point. The fucking point is that they’re sending a dog away to be trained by a stranger (from the dog’s standpoint) and they can’t see him for six weeks. That’s fucking weird. Not the fact that there are bootcamps. JFC. The fact that you can’t see what the fuck the trainer does to make your dog obey. That’s the fuck8ng point. And the fact that you need a shock collar to enforce behavior, IS A FUCKING HUGE RED FLAG. I think that’s the fucking point. Your arrogant comment really doesn’t change that.

That was the point because the original poster asked if the boot camp itself was a red flag. You are really off the rails. You can run around the thread on here and attack me, @Antimony @church_of_dog etc all you want but all it does it make you look unbalanced. There was nothing arrogant about my comment. But there is something totally unhinged about yours. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, indianabones said:

My dad uses a shock collar for one of his dogs, but that's because he's too lazy to dedicate the time to proper socialization and positively reinforced training. Which is a shame, because his dog is highly food motivated and responds really well to praise.

I'm not surprised to hear that Izzy finally snapped at Layla. They have consistently failed to reinforce boundaries between the two of them and constantly post videos of Layla being encouraged to be all over Izzy because of how "cute" it is. And honestly, training a dog to stop jumping on people is not something that requires six weeks of boarding. Carlin is just too lazy to educate herself on dog training and apply it.

Yeah the lack of boundaries between Layla and Izzie terrifies me. My kids are older and we still have very clear boundaries between the dog and kids, for example the dog isn't allowed on the couch at the same time as the kids as she can get territorial. A toddler allowed to climb all over a dog is concerning. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Boundaries for both kids amd dogs are so essential!  I am very comfortable with our dog, she has been through the terrible twos with two of my kids, but I absolutely would not ever leave a young child unsupervised around her.  Kids pull tails and ears and pinch, and even the most patient dog will eventually snap. And a safe place for the dog to get away from the kids and be on her own is essential.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

My current dog, a retired breeding pug, is one step up from a couch cushion. I will not be allowing my daughter to poke, prod, yell at, or otherwise harass her when she is mobile enough to do so. It isn't fair to a dog to expect endless patience or to a child to expect them to read another species' body language. Carlin and Evan really dropped the ball here and I imagine they will continue to do so.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

That was the point because the original poster asked if the boot camp itself was a red flag. You are really off the rails. You can run around the thread on here and attack me, @Antimony @church_of_dog etc all you want but all it does it make you look unbalanced. There was nothing arrogant about my comment. But there is something totally unhinged about yours. 

Nice try sweetheart, but no cigar. You are accusing me of running around threads when that’s what your pr3cious little hive does when a different opinion is given. Go on, call me whatever the fuck you want, you know you’re just pissed off bc I don’t upvote your every fart, that’s why you gave me a warning ??????????????????

• Move Along 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 13
  • WTF 3

1 hour ago, Green bean satan said:

Nice try sweetheart, but no cigar. You are accusing me of running around threads when that’s what your pr3cious little hive does when a different opinion is given. Go on, call me whatever the fuck you want, you know you’re just pissed off bc I don’t upvote your every fart, that’s why you gave me a warning ??????????????????

Clearly Free Jinger is fulfilling all of your emotional needs! And your intellectual interaction desires to boot!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

Innocent question: is it common for people to take notes during their pastor’s sermons? Carlin occasionally posts pages from her notebook and I find them oddly fascinating because a) I sat through a lot of sermons as a kid and teen and it would never have occurred to me to treat them like lectures or school work (evil Catholic here), and b) most of what she jots down seems like platitudes to me and not helpful for dealing with life at all.

(No offence intended if anyone finds them meaningful - it’s probably different if you believe they come straight from God.)

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Innocent question: is it common for people to take notes during their pastor’s sermons? Carlin occasionally posts pages from her notebook and I find them oddly fascinating because a) I sat through a lot of sermons as a kid and teen and it would never have occurred to me to treat them like lectures or school work (evil Catholic here), and b) most of what she jots down seems like platitudes to me and not helpful for dealing with life at all.

(No offence intended if anyone finds them meaningful - it’s probably different if you believe they come straight from God.)

Most people don't. I was going to say that no one I know does it, but sometimes teens/kids need to write reports on the sermon as part of their religious education and then they take notes. I have never known an adult who takes notes, but it's not a bad idea.

I also like inspirational quotes that I find relatable, even if they sound like platitudes.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Some of the Baptist churches I went to throughout my life strongly encouraged it and other ones strongly discouraged it (and one flat out did not allow it lol) I'm a note taker by nature so I do when I can. The last church I went to actually handed out pages related to the sermon where they had the scripture listed and the basic outline of the sermon and you just filled in the blanks and took notes on there. 

Edited by mollysmom
added thought.
  • Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

When I was a church attender - I had become a note taker.  While some of this may have been the culture of the churches I attended - it was a 'me' thing and note taking is a trick I picked up along the way of my 50+ years of life that helps me focus and pay attention to what is being said.  I do the same thing in meetings at work.  If I don't - my mind is literally everywhere but where it needs to be. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Most people don't. I was going to say that no one I know does it, but sometimes teens/kids need to write reports on the sermon as part of their religious education and then they take notes. I have never known an adult who takes notes, but it's not a bad idea.

I also like inspirational quotes that I find relatable, even if they sound like platitudes.

Actually when I was in IFB it was encouraged and expected! No lie!

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

In the mainstream Protestant church I attended growing up, the confirmation class was expected to turn in a certain number of sermon summaries in a year, which meant taking notes. Fortunately for us, we weren’t graded on accuracy of summation.  I think this was more to insure the kids attended church on a semi-regular basis than seeing if they paid attention to a 20 minute sermon. A lot of parents rarely attended church but still wanted their kids confirmed. 

i’Ve never seen an adult take notes on a sermon. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

My mother was Mormon during my teen years and she would take notes during church, she had notebooks all over the house. Church notes, inspirational phrases, plus her own journalled thoughts. 

I grew up in the United Church and no one ever took notes.

• Upvote 5

On 7/8/2021 at 4:45 PM, OHFL2009 said:

Carlin was actually in the driver seat, and Esther was in the passenger seat (the video is mirrored). Maybe since Esther is the "guest of honor" for the day, she was given the front seat. I would never expect my mom or mother-in-law to get in the very back, but I also know people who just automatically offer to climb in the back all the time; maybe KJ is one of those people.

It also looks like they're in the town where Miss Renee's shop is, so it seems likely it was filmed for the show. I can't imagine driving 2.5 hours to buy a wedding dress unless there was a good reason.

My mom. She'll never ever get in the front seat if there's a third person. She'll even ride in the back making me feel like a taxi driver if it's just the 2 of us. It's just how she is. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2021 at 1:36 AM, Green bean satan said:

You got a warning because you break rules. Don’t you need to go have breakfast with your “husband” and laugh at us? Because that is what grown up people do.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

Heavens! Layla is wearing normal clothing that isn't super girly!!!

image.png.106f0a9a448102d1ed22d27cac387aa0.png

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 2

Lutheran here - there are always sermon note pages to pick up. They have fill in the blanks and questions to answer about the sermon on there.  The confirmation kids had to fill them out and turn them in during their next class but anyone who wanted to could grab one.  It helped make the sermon more interesting sometimes.  

Also a dog trainer.  When I was doing classes, I'd always tell people, 'you know, I can train your dogs in a couple days, but you all are much harder and more challenging.'    They all laughed but it was true.  If you can get the people to change their behavior, most dogs are easy.  Most.  Not all.  Just like people, some dogs are just assholes.  But generally and mostly, it's the people causing issues.  

Edited by SweetLaurel
spelling
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

On 7/27/2021 at 3:35 AM, Nothing if not critical said:

I attend a liberal mainstream church and there are always a couple people taking notes on the sermon. I think some people like to go back home, reread the scripture, reflect on the sermon, etc. There have been times when a pastor has said something that struck a chord with me and I wrote it in the margin of my bulletin.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

17 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

You got a warning because you break rules. Don’t you need to go have breakfast with your “husband” and laugh at us? Because that is what grown up people do.

JFC how long does it take YOU to eat? Unless you have an eating disorder, most people are able to eat, laugh, talk and follow the convo………….poor K

• Fuck You 2
  • Downvote 13

16 hours ago, Green bean satan said:

JFC how long does it take YOU to eat? Unless you have an eating disorder, most people are able to eat, laugh, talk and follow the convo………….poor K

I have actually had an eating disorder and I do thank you for your concern. The amount of care and concern you show the thousands of members of FJ worldwide, with all of our differences and complexities, frailties and strengths, demonstrates such an unusual level of compassion, kindness and nuance that I am unsure how you function in the real world.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
riffles
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 14
  • Love 18

On 7/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

And since I didn't mention before, boot camp is completely useless if the owners aren't taught how to maintain the training after it's over. These two are probably too lazy to do that and so this will be a wasted effort.

I completely agree. Those boot camps are big around here. They seem to be a way for lazy people to get their dog trained. However, it's a waste of time. You need to have a relationship with your dog to get the kind of obedience you want.  It's the relationship. Kind of like with children. 

Shock collars make me shudder. They call them e-collars around here, to make them sound less scary. How can you send your puppy off to be shocked by a stranger, and expect a good result? It's really the fundy way of raising puppies--corporal punishment with no patience or understanding. Lazy, uncreative and generally ineffective.

We were looking for a trainer, and my husband accidentally called one who offered e-collar training and boot camp. The way she hid the brutality of her services made me sick. She brought her dog alone to show us how great he was, but she told us the dog still needed "stimulation", even when she ran him through her little demo.  So basically, the dog needs to be shocked for the rest of his life to behave. I could hear the little beeping sound of the collar each time she corrected him.

I've had dogs for decades, but I'm not really a "dog person" and dont' get all mushy about them. Nonetheless, I think these boot camps are barbaric. Imagine being a dog and living your life with this thing around your neck that will hurt you if you dont figure out what your owner wants fast enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

I don’t go to church, but I can see writing down a particularly good point from a sermon, or something that was relevant to me, say if I’d been struggling with something. 
I have no real experience or dogs, much less training them. I do know that shock collars etc are bad, though. 

• Upvote 2

I wanna put those shock collars on the humans who wanna use them on the dogs! Fucking asswipes! Actually I have a few other people in mind I wouldn’t mind putting one on, fucking asswipes, I’d like to zap when they piss me off. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

On 7/30/2021 at 6:49 PM, nelliebelle1197 said:

I have actually had an eating disorder and I do thank you for your concern. The amount of care and concern you show the thousands of members of FJ worldwide, with all of our differences and complexities, frailties and strengths, demonstrates such an unusual level of compassion, kindness and nuance that I am unsure how you function in the real world.

I’m so sorry, I’ve been having mental health problems due to a miscarriage. I didn’t mean to disrupt the forum, but being falsely accused of lying triggered me. I’ve sought help and doing better. 

• Thank You 2

6 hours ago, Green bean satan said:

I’m so sorry, I’ve been having mental health problems due to a miscarriage. I didn’t mean to disrupt the forum, but being falsely accused of lying triggered me. I’ve sought help and doing better. 

I am not sure anyone falsely accused you of lying. People disagreed with you vehemently and you attacked repeatedly. If you are in emotional pain, this might not be the best place for you right now. Perhaps take a break and come back. No reputation is irreparable but some really over the line have been said to a lot of people.

I hope you are healing in all ways. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic