IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 9: Whatever Carlin's Trying, She Isn't Nailing It (& Why Is Layla a Naked Hippy Baby?)

nelliebelle1197

Forrest Gregg was the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals football team in the '80s. He is in the pro football Hall of Fame as a tackle for the Green Bay Packers. Forrest is middle name, but that's what he went by.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, grt42btexan said:

Carlin refers to Layla as being premature. I have watched the birth episode and didn't catch that at all.  Also I know in the beginning Layla had some breathing/heart issues but I wasn't aware her problems were ongoing.  Can anyone catch me up?

Because of the clotting dissorder Layla was born early, but i dont think early enought to be considered premature. She needed to stay in the hospital under the lights for jaundice. Then she had a couple of episodes where she went blue and the doctors found a small hole in her heart that actually is not that rare in premature babies. The doctors said it usually closes on its own.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, llucie said:

Because of the clotting dissorder Layla was born early, but i dont think early enought to be considered premature. She needed to stay in the hospital under the lights for jaundice. Then she had a couple of episodes where she went blue and the doctors found a small hole in her heart that actually is not that rare in premature babies. The doctors said it usually closes on its own.

She was to be induced early because of the clotting disorder. On the program they showed Carlin at one of her appointments one or two weeks out from the induction date. There was some issue regarding a test - don't remember what - and Dr. Vick came in asking questions such as how much did Carlin feel Layla moving. It was decided to induce that day rather than wait. I don't know the exact timing, but they normally induce them at 38 weeks due to the clotting disorder and so Layla might have been born at 36 weeks. 

• Upvote 5

I’m not really surprised Carlin said she would homeschool. She has said before that they weren’t sure what they would do for school. I could see her being a very hands on home school mom. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

Particularly if Carlin does do some kind of spacing and only has, say, 4-6 kids, that’s a much more manageable number than what Kelly had. I’m not saying 19 because the oldest would have been done with school by the time the youngest were born, but it would still have been in double figures at its peak.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I’m not really surprised Carlin said she would homeschool. She has said before that they weren’t sure what they would do for school. I could see her being a very hands on home school mom. 

I could too. She is very hands on with Layla. They read to her, they do shapes and numbers games with her, etc. This weekend at the farm they were teaching her to moo like a cow. Carlin was one of the kids in the middle of the pack and it's easy to get lost in the shuffle and I feel like she wants to give her kids more time and attention than she got. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

In one of the recent Q&A sessions, she said she wanted to use Abeka.  Because it’s what she was educated on and she enjoyed it.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, grt42btexan said:

Carlin refers to Layla as being premature. I have watched the birth episode and didn't catch that at all.  Also I know in the beginning Layla had some breathing/heart issues but I wasn't aware her problems were ongoing.  Can anyone catch me up?

Layla was due in Late February and was born January 31. She had a hole in her heart when she was born, but they said it should heal itself by the time she is 1. Erin has her kids a month early because of the clotting disorder which is probably why Carlin had Layla early as well. 

• Upvote 6

Carlin took a pregnancy test on their new Q & A video(July 3, 2021).  They are ready for baby #2.  She's not pregnant.

The first question was from Jinger Voo-lou.  She wants to CarVan to visit in California.

Carlin wants to homeschool and then mixed up "betrayed" and "portrayed".

They avoided saying what books they read, besides the bible. 

Evan says he always wore pants and shorts, since someone asked him why they decided to wear pants.

Like every other fundie couple, she seems to do a lot more than he does.

Carlin gave Evan her purity ring on their wedding night.

Evan is already talking about when Layla "gets married and leaves."

Evan wants a boy. The Bates always wants boys. ?

They're all going to see grandparents on the farm. How many of them are vaccinated?

They're inviting people to their church.

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 8
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 6

On 7/4/2021 at 6:51 PM, CanadianMamam said:

I could too. She is very hands on with Layla. They read to her, they do shapes and numbers games with her, etc. This weekend at the farm they were teaching her to moo like a cow. Carlin was one of the kids in the middle of the pack and it's easy to get lost in the shuffle and I feel like she wants to give her kids more time and attention than she got. 

I don’t know. She’s always acting, so her “teaching” Layla comes across as fake to me. Also, teaching a baby to moo is fun. Explaining for 5he umpteenth time which color is red, what numbers are and where the hands of the clock go, can be mindnumbingly annoying. I say this as someone who was asked to help teach kindergarten. Seriously, kids are sieves. I don’t see Carling thriving there, to say the least.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Green bean satan said:

I don’t know. She’s always acting, so her “teaching” Layla comes across as fake to me. Also, teaching a baby to moo is fun. Explaining for 5he umpteenth time which color is red, what numbers are and where the hands of the clock go, can be mindnumbingly annoying. I say this as someone who was asked to help teach kindergarten. Seriously, kids are sieves. I don’t see Carling thriving there, to say the least.

I think she helped homeschool Jeb and Judson. She was the funny sistermom and spoiled them, while Tori was the strict one. I wonder if she would be softer than some of her sisters, when "training" Layla.

I think she could do fine with homeschooling or at least be more involved than Alyssa. But teaching Layla while potty training #2 and nursing #3... It's not that fun!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Another ridiculous item of baby clothing causing me to roll my eyes. These stupid pants show her diaper and will probably fall apart after several turns in the washing machine. I hate this kind of clothes wastefulness

image.png.9f4c9f153bd506d3aba511be691ea90e.png

Also, thanks to @Bluebirdbluebell I might need to make "Gave husband my purity ring on my wedding night"  my new location.

• Upvote 13
  • Eyeroll 3
  • I Agree 9

Carlin and Evan, who  didn’t know how to activate EMS when Layla wasn’t  breathing (or how to open her airway), and were happy when a dr prescribed antebeeoticsfor an illness…not so sure she’d be any more equipped to home school anyone. 

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Green bean satan said:

It'll be hard to "teach" with her phone in her hand to record every time Layla is "so cute." There is a fun part to teaching when the child(ren) parrot back what you want them to say. You feel very accomplished. Then they try to crawl in the oven because it has a window so it must be a house or they don't make the connection between numbers they say aloud and counting (one of mine thought numbers were a song and didn't make a connection). 

Yes, she "helped" with her younger siblings. However, what was shown was usually her trying to wake them up or keeping them on task with a workbook. She'll do fine with the memorization parts of education - flashcards will be her favorite tool. It'll be better than Alyssa's reliance on videos and probably good for some IG content. 

• Upvote 11

16 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

It'll be hard to "teach" with her phone in her hand to record every time Layla is "so cute." There is a fun part to teaching when the child(ren) parrot back what you want them to say. You feel very accomplished. Then they try to crawl in the oven because it has a window so it must be a house or they don't make the connection between numbers they say aloud and counting (one of mine thought numbers were a song and didn't make a connection). 

Yes, she "helped" with her younger siblings. However, what was shown was usually her trying to wake them up or keeping them on task with a workbook. She'll do fine with the memorization parts of education - flashcards will be her favorite tool. It'll be better than Alyssa's reliance on videos and probably good for some IG content. 

Yep. They think they’re accomplished teachers with advanced students  because the kids can parrot Bible verses and write in cursive when they’re 3. Trouble is, the girls will be done with formal schooling at 8 and the boys are still learning multiple tables at 13. The method of education used by fundies is called get it over with. Could Alyssa or Carlin pass Algebra or Spanish 1 or Biology? I doubt it.

Also, Allie is quiet and compliant. Lexi has been labeled “wild”. Alyssa complained at how difficult Lexi was to potty train. Homeschooling is likely going to be different with Lexi. If Layla is higher energy like Carlin, homeschooling might require a different approach-

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Another ridiculous item of baby clothing causing me to roll my eyes. These stupid pants show her diaper and will probably fall apart after several turns in the washing machine. I hate this kind of clothes wastefulness

Also, thanks to @Bluebirdbluebell I might need to make "Gave husband my purity ring on my wedding night"  my new location.

I hate these pants so much, I cringe everytime she posts Layla wearing them. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

I just don't see how these women plan to keep the boutique going if they keep having tons of babies. So far they've gotten away with it because none of their kids is at the age to really need much education. But there's no way they could homeschool and care for 6-7 kids each AND run the store. They could hire more employees, but that would seriously eat into their profits as a very small business. I just can't see it working long term.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

I just don't see how these women plan to keep the boutique going if they keep having tons of babies. So far they've gotten away with it because none of their kids is at the age to really need much education. But there's no way they could homeschool and care for 6-7 kids each AND run the store. They could hire more employees, but that would seriously eat into their profits as a very small business. I just can't see it working long term.

agreed. Unless the teen Bates females--I think they are 14 and 15?--start helping out in a couple of years--but they are also need to help care for their younger siblings.

• Upvote 4

It’s articles of clothing like this that make me appreciate my mother’s insistence on practicality (which I totally didn’t get as a teen). I can see Layla putting those strings in her mouth, catching them on furniture as she crawls and walks, etc. Fortunately, she’ll probably outgrow them about when they fall apart.

I was bored over the weekend and watched a couple of their vlogs, specifically the one in which Layla wanders around calling for Izzy. Some random thoughts:

positives:

Layla seems like a happy baby, even with a stomach bug, and both Carlin and Evan are more engaged with her than comes across in Instagram photos. 

Evan finished his fourth year of school/apprenticeship. Good for him for sticking with it.

They understood that taking Layla out with a stomach bug wasn’t the best thing, and that one of them would have to stay home. 

negatives:

They had intended to make a big thing over Izzy’s first grooming appointment? Were they planning to show it on the vlog? The groomer might have had something to say about that. 

Argument over whether it’s “rock paper scissors” or “paper scissors rock dyna-MITE!” That’s several minutes of my life I’ll never get back. 

Evan telling Carlin what to do around the house while he’s out? What a misogynistic dick, even if it’s only in jest. Dude, she’s taking care of a sick child. 

Evan didn’t know what took place at the groomers’, or how long an appointment would take? 

Carlin ending the episode by blowing gum at the camera. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

I hate these pants so much, I cringe everytime she posts Layla wearing them. 

I feel so old every time I look at those stupid pants and cringe. I know they are supposed to be fashionable but they just look like they fell off the clothesline and were run over by the lawn mower. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 6

agreed. Unless the teen Bates females--I think they are 14 and 15?--start helping out in a couple of years--but they are also need to help care for their younger siblings.

I mean there are the 3 girls 12-15 and then the two younger boys, who are 8 and 9. They don't really have to sister mom as much as the older girls did. But they do seem to be helping out their sisters already. And will likely be married off at like 20.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

Well Erin is probably done at 4. She can give her kids busy work while she runs the store. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

They will be sent to the Bates compound SOTDRT taught by Addie, Ellie and Callie

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

I am not sure how much Carlin and Erin even "work" other than model and post social media that they are working. While I have doubts about the viability and validity of using a retail space as a warehouse, at least they are out of Zach and Whitney's yard. I wouldn't want all those people and kids in and out of my house all day. Yes, they had the warehouse, but plumbing, food, etc. was inside. But the Bates are not really unobtrusive. During quarantine it was Whitney and Zach unpacking merchandise and packing/shipping orders. 

Carlin's incessant recording of "everyone" working reminds me of too many coworkers who say they are going to help out but they have the cutest idea first. 

For now they can have kids in car seats and strollers. But what about the day when Carson, Bradley, Kaci, Brooklyn, etc. decide to play something and destroy a bunch of merchandise? Or when one or more escape and the adults have to search. Or when half are "doing school" and the staff is having a meeting and Layla takes her full ice cream sandwich and falls asleep on a pile of pastel dresses on the white couch. In my extended family that would turn into WWIII. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

So Esther is going wedding dress shopping today with Kelly, Katie, Carlin and two of her SILs. She also didn't seem enthused in Carlin's video. 

What I found interesting was there Carlin was in the passenger seat while Esther drove and Kelly was in the very back with Katie. I can't imagine having my mom or MIL sit in the back, I would automatically offer the front. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic