IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 9: Whatever Carlin's Trying, She Isn't Nailing It (& Why Is Layla a Naked Hippy Baby?)

nelliebelle1197

I wouldn't trust these two idiots with a pet rock.  They don't need or deserve pets of any species because they aren't willing to take the time to care for/train one properly.  Mark my words, we aren't going to hear about Izzy again.  She will be re-homed and forgotten about.

Edited by RosyDaisy
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

Every time I see Carlin with Evan and baby in a picture the first thing I always think is wow, a mom with two kids far apart. Then I remember that she’s married to Evan. I think Carlin looks about 32 and Evan 17 tbh.

• Downvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 3

The dog is not the one that needs training.  Carlin & Evan are the ones that need training and handing a dog to someone else to train without going through training themselves is likely not going to go well.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9

We have an invisible fence shock collar for our dog, they are quite common here. It only shocks her if she runs past the boundary of the yard, but it gives a buzzing warning first and she never runs through it now. But we can't out a proper fence on our yard and we are right by a high traffic road. 

• Upvote 6

The trainer I took my big dog to also did away training. It was much more expensive and not something I wanted to do. She used a shot collar on her dog but she knew what she was doing and trained the dog to listen without hitting a button. I refused to use that on my dog. He turned out fine. My mom used to use one on her dog that would jump the five foot privacy fence she has then run around the neighborhood. Her dog didn’t care about being shocked and still got out.

• Upvote 4

I'm not a dog person at all. I am highly allergic and just have never been much of a pet person. However, I am a reputation management and image person who cringes at Carlin and Evan's choices. The big dramatic announcement that something was going to happen with Izzy was over the top and useless. It just served as click bait for them and put them more in the spotlight for criticism.

The decision regarding training is one that doesn't need to be broadcast. I'm sure they have their reasons and I'm sure there are lots of reasons to agree or disagree. However, dragging out the debate and then ignoring it as though it isn't happening - not the best way to handle the social media situation. While some would have asked about the dog, I doubt there would have been a huge outcry if they released a few videos focused on another topic and then talked about the results of the training being a success (if they are).  

• Upvote 7

57 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I'm not a dog person at all. I am highly allergic and just have never been much of a pet person. However, I am a reputation management and image person who cringes at Carlin and Evan's choices. The big dramatic announcement that something was going to happen with Izzy was over the top and useless. It just served as click bait for them and put them more in the spotlight for criticism.

The decision regarding training is one that doesn't need to be broadcast. I'm sure they have their reasons and I'm sure there are lots of reasons to agree or disagree. However, dragging out the debate and then ignoring it as though it isn't happening - not the best way to handle the social media situation. While some would have asked about the dog, I doubt there would have been a huge outcry if they released a few videos focused on another topic and then talked about the results of the training being a success (if they are).  

They made a big deal about it because they either got a big discount or got it for free. It's expensive and in exchange have to promote his company.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

My daughter and her husband had this trainer guy come to their house (this was in WV) when their puppy was about the same age as Izzy. The guy spent about 10 minutes with the dog and said she needed much more extensive training or else he would be completely unmanageable as an adult. He said the dog displayed aggressive tendencies, really tried to play on their fears. Turns out the guy owned one of those 6 weeks away boot camps. They did NOT send their dog, feeling it went against everything they knew about puppies and how attached they were to her. The dog is two now, and while she can be high-energy is certainly not aggressive. She needs walks and play time, but I think most young dogs do. I hate that these boot camp places exist. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

It's one things training your dog to be a police dog, drug dog or hunting dog, but just a house pet, they don't need that mush extensive training. Maybe since Carlin grew up with the Bates dogs just being left outside and allowed to roam without a leash she thinks that extensive training is a form of love. I read the boot camp description and one thing they're specific about is off leash training. I remember when Carlin filmed Layla at the park for one. of their video's they let Izzy roam without a leash. Though they were the only one's there, never let your dog off a Leash. Why are these to so irresponsible?

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, raayx01 said:

They made a big deal about it because they either got a big discount or got it for free. It's expensive and in exchange have to promote his company.

I get that. As a comms professional, specifically public relations, I think it is short sighted. It could cost her/them other endorsements and opportunities should someone with a product or service decide they are not right based on this decision. Influencers I have worked with are always very careful to maintain an image that attracts both subscribers/followers and businesses. Some businesses will shy away from people who are seen as careless or dividers. As a business they want eyes on the products and content not the debates in the comments. 

No doubt they will emerge unscathed and without having to spend a fortune. However, if I was to represent them, I would tell them to be a bit more picky about opportunities such things in the future. When it comes to that sort of thing, it's all a matter of perception.    

• Upvote 7

@CanadianMamam electric fence collars aren't the same as the electric training collars for two reasons (and I'm generally okay with them). They are consistent in when they correct every single time because the perimeter is set and most have a warning tone the dog reacts to first, and the dog controls if they get corrected or not. Human error leads to inconsistent use of training shock collars and confusion for the dogs.

Yard electric fences are fine as long as people remember that they don't protect a dog from anything that may run into the yard and may not stop a dog who has a big reason to leave (prey drive, etc).

And since I didn't mention before, boot camp is completely useless if the owners aren't taught how to maintain the training after it's over. These two are probably too lazy to do that and so this will be a wasted effort.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Puppies are not born needing extensive corrective training in the form of boot camp.  If the dog has aggressive behaviour or other issues it’s most likely because of something the owners are doing.  Sending a dog to boot camp and knowing F-all about dogs and training them is pointless.  If they learned bad behaviour at home boot camp is only a bandaid fix.  And probably unnecessary if the dog doesn’t have behavioural issues.  
(I understand extensive training for service, police, and military animals, or animals that are aggressive, etc….), but this poor dog is a designer doodle.  They are literally the teddy bears of the dog world.  If she was acting up, it’s because of something happening at home.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

My grandparents always had German Shepherds since my dad was little. But they lived in the countryside and had plenty of space outside, they trained their dogs excessively and additionally went with them to classes those dogs love like search for a hidden person via smell and so on. On weekends they did long hikes where the dog was part of. Breeds like that can be very good dogs but you have to meet their needs.

My dad, a dog lover complains to this day when he encounters dogs of his friends who aren‘t well trained (not to his friends obv)

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 8

CarVan video this week.  Izzy to trainers. And a cooking lesson for Katie.  

It sounds like there was an issue with the dog chewing on things. And, Izzy snapped at Layla which is the real and bigger concern.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:46 PM, Expectopatronus said:

Am I being paranoid in seeing this as a huge red flag? What is the trainer hiding and why can’t family visit? Wouldn’t it make more sense to have family involved on weekends so the skills transfer? And shock collars make me shudder. If they only use it for safety (dog is about to run into traffic) then I could sort of understand  it. Some dogs just never get the hang of not running into cars no matter how much training they get (my aunt’s dog. Caught on to everything but don’t chase cars or hassle the cat. Her poor nose is always scratched from bothering the cat. Even after 9 years. My aunt moved to a very rural area which cut down on the number of cars said dog can run at and the speed cars can travel on a gravel road). 

There are plenty of dog training boot camps around. That in and of itself is not a red flag.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Adding to our weekly criticism of how Carlin dresses Layla, I hate this outfit. Like is it a dress with weird cuts? A mismatched shirt and tutu? It looks like it is supposed to be a dress but part of it is missing. 

Screenshot_20210725-141011.png

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 9

It looks like half of the dress is missing! Pairing it with knee socks puts the bare skin in the wrong places. If Carlin had to wear some of these outfits herself, she might not be so eager to inflict them on Layla.

Watched the latest video. Carlin wasted several minutes searching for Layla’s vacation Bible school shirt from the prior year. Did she really think it would fit her? Layla herself is developing quite the vocabulary. I’d much rather watch 15 minutes of her talking than these two idiots. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

Aside from how ridiculous the frilly tutu cutout outfit looks, why are you putting an 18 month old in white. I don’t even trust myself in an all white outfit. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 14

5 hours ago, artdecades said:

Aside from how ridiculous the frilly tutu cutout outfit looks, why are you putting an 18 month old in white. I don’t even trust myself in an all white outfit. 

That outfit is ghastly but if she was just wearing it to church or a special occasion I wouldn’t snark on white. My kid is only a month older and she wore a white dress to church this morning (no cutouts, knee-highs or odd shoes. Just a sleeveless white romper dress, neutral cardigan and light pink sandals.) That said, I would not let her play outside in white tutu type dresses. Outside play is simple cotton dresses or t-shirts and shorts that can get tossed in the washer with stain fighting boosters. 

• Upvote 5

It looks like Layla has been attacked by wolves that ripped off some of the fabric. 

Layla definitely wins the price for the worst dressed grandchild. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

On 7/25/2021 at 12:06 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

There are plenty of dog training boot camps around. That in and of itself is not a red flag.

Yeah that was not the fucking point. The fucking point is that they’re sending a dog away to be trained by a stranger (from the dog’s standpoint) and they can’t see him for six weeks. That’s fucking weird. Not the fact that there are bootcamps. JFC. The fact that you can’t see what the fuck the trainer does to make your dog obey. That’s the fuck8ng point. And the fact that you need a shock collar to enforce behavior, IS A FUCKING HUGE RED FLAG. I think that’s the fucking point. Your arrogant comment really doesn’t change that.

• Downvote 7
  • WTF 7
  • Haha 1

My dad uses a shock collar for one of his dogs, but that's because he's too lazy to dedicate the time to proper socialization and positively reinforced training. Which is a shame, because his dog is highly food motivated and responds really well to praise.

I'm not surprised to hear that Izzy finally snapped at Layla. They have consistently failed to reinforce boundaries between the two of them and constantly post videos of Layla being encouraged to be all over Izzy because of how "cute" it is. And honestly, training a dog to stop jumping on people is not something that requires six weeks of boarding. Carlin is just too lazy to educate herself on dog training and apply it.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, indianabones said:

I'm not surprised to hear that Izzy finally snapped at Layla. They have consistently failed to reinforce boundaries between the two of them and constantly post videos of Layla being encouraged to be all over Izzy because of how "cute" it is. And honestly, training a dog to stop jumping on people is not something that requires six weeks of boarding. Carlin is just too lazy to educate herself on dog training and apply it.

Exactly. I just talked to my dad about dogs and he says you need to train them from early on and consistently. The German Shepherds of his parents (they had several but only one at the time) listened to the word no matter the situation. But they dedicated a lot of time to the dog's training.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, indianabones said:

My dad uses a shock collar for one of his dogs, but that's because he's too lazy to dedicate the time to proper socialization and positively reinforced training. Which is a shame, because his dog is highly food motivated and responds really well to praise.

It doesn't help when you get a puppy for a one year old who just wants to poke at their face. Of course the dog is going to snap back. It might be cute for instagram pics, but realistically these to need to think about these big life choices before diving head first into them.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic