IGNORED

2020 Election Results 12: Riots, Social Media Banning, And The Longest Election Cycle In History

GreyhoundFan

3 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Wasn’t it just at thirty arrests as of yesterday? Or was google throwing old headlines my way?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AprilCameron said:

We all know logic and extremists don’t often meet, but Babbit was there voluntarily. Real martyrs typically don’t get a choice in the matter or continue moving toward a gun when they see one; as she did.

Right, and there's a video that shows police in the hallway beyond the door with guns pointed toward it, yet she climbed through anyway.    Considering she was former military, I wonder why she didn't think they meant business.   

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

30 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

"So we know who you are if you’re out there and FBI agents are coming to find you,” said FBI Dir Wray at Inauguration Security briefing at FEMA."

Spoiler

tenor.gif

• Upvote 10

Some good news

A group of bipartisan House members introduced legislation on Thursday to award the Congressional Gold Medal to a Capitol police officer who deterred a mob away from the Senate chamber during last week's deadly riots.

Reps. Charlie Crist, D-Fla., Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., and Nancy Mace, R-S.C., credited officer Eugene Goodman for "his bravery and quick thinking during last week’s insurrection."

“He’s a hero!" Crist said. “The United States Capitol was under attack by armed, violent extremists, and Officer Eugene Goodman was the only thing standing between the mob and the United States Senate. I shudder to think what might have happened had it not been for Officer Goodman’s fast thinking and commitment to his duty and his country."

Hopefully to be followed by the Presidential Medal of Freedom in a few weeks when it means something again and not merely a Fuck Face participation trophy for benefactors and other hateful people.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 10

Vice had this take on the surrender of the man seen carrying a Confederate flag inside the Capitol

Or as I call it, another Confederate Surrender.

confederatesurrender.thumb.png.6a7836ae7519c3a6ea837a01547b4736.png

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 15
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, nokidsmom said:

Right, and there's a video that shows police in the hallway beyond the door with guns pointed toward it, yet she climbed through anyway.    Considering she was former military, I wonder why she didn't think they meant business.   

She didn't think they meant business because she is white.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 14

5 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

And/or because she thought all of the Capitol police were in on it, or enough of them that nobody would shoot.

Of course, she was also not exactly a calm person who did things in a safe manner:

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 6

Well well well, looks like Donny boy & his lawyer are quibbling, no surprise at that, the toddler has to find someone to blame for the mess he’s made & hey, any excuse to slither away from paying a bill is a long-standing business practice. Also, interesting details about the current climate in the bunker -https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/13/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-legal-fees-white-house/index.html

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

25 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

She kind of had a point. I mean one fatality under those circumstances is pretty low actually. Not saying a bloodbath would have been better, but also not sure it would have been that low with a different demographic.

• Upvote 21

For whatever reason,  the images of the man with the Confederate flag in the Capitol building are among the most disturbing to me. Now, I find out he's from my own state. May he rot in prison. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 18

Rebecca Solnit on not meeting Nazis halfway.

"The implication is the usual one: we—urban multiethnic liberal-to-radical only-partly-Christian America—need to spend more time understanding MAGA America. The demands do not go the other way. Fox and Ted Cruz and the Federalist have not chastised their audiences, I feel pretty confident, with urgings to enter into discourse with, say, Black Lives Matter activists, rabbis, imams, abortion providers, undocumented valedictorians, or tenured lesbians. When only half the divide is being tasked with making the peace, there is no peace to be made, but there is a unilateral surrender on offer. "

While I do think that keeping channels open is important - being able to retreat from extreme viewpoints works better I think when they are - I also think justice needs to be done, and done openly and fairly. And in this case that means charging, trying and punishing people who are found to have organised or taken part in this. Also this:

"There’s also often a devil’s bargain buried in all this, that you flatter and, yeah, respect these white people who think this country is theirs by throwing other people under the bus—by disrespecting immigrants and queer people and feminists and their rights and views. And you reinforce that constituency’s sense that they matter more than other people when you pander like this, and pretty much all the problems we’ve faced over the past four years, to say nothing of the last five hundred, come from this sense of white people being more important than nonwhites, Christians than non-Christians, native-born than immigrant, male than female, straight than queer, cis-gender than trans."

So much this. 

Edited by Ozlsn
  • Upvote 23
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

26 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Fuck that is heartbreaking! So glad he survived because that sounds like an absurdly close call. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

11 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Some good news

Hopefully to be followed by the Presidential Medal of Freedom in a few weeks when it means something again and not merely a Fuck Face participation trophy for benefactors and other hateful people.

The guy Trump tried to give the award to refused it... 

Also, only five more days until Inauguration Day!!

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

If this mffgr is Mormon then the Mormons better get out ahead of this and put his ass out. 

So many Mormons are all about the extremism.

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

So relieved the powers that be are taking this shiz seriously. And I hope they aren’t working with the traitors and terrorists. 

It’s a sad day when we have to hope the people we trust to protect the republic aren’t actually about to destroy it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Move Along 1

10 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

For whatever reason,  the images of the man with the Confederate flag in the Capitol building are among the most disturbing to me. Now, I find out he's from my own state. May he rot in prison. 

When people say “the south will rise again,” it makes me want to punch them and then remind them that the south only rises to get beat tf down time after time. But if this skeeze ball wants to make defeating the sauuuuuth so easy...? 

And plus the guy is from Delaware, correct? That’s about as far not south as it gets. Which just goes to show that emblem is nothing more than an ugly icon of white supremacists.

May all those holding such evil ideas rot in prison and be stopped before they can cause any more harm.

11 hours ago, thoughtful said:

And/or because she thought all of the Capitol police were in on it, or enough of them that nobody would shoot.

Of course, she was also not exactly a calm person who did things in a safe manner:

She says Cali has a meth problem. Really, I question if Ashli had a meth problem that she never got help for. If so, I’m what ways may it have contributed to her death? 

When she spoke of Cali needing a budget to clean up human dung from public streets/sidewalks it made me wonder why she didn’t realize that the very system the right has created is the cause of homelessness and people needing to defecate in public. 

But it’s not as if this chick is capable of using logic when she’s this unnaturally wound up.

Edited by AprilCameron
  • Upvote 5
  • Move Along 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic