IGNORED

2020 Election Results 12: Riots, Social Media Banning, And The Longest Election Cycle In History

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

A retired Navy seal  attempted to overthrow the government in an armed insurrection but in his own opinion he is not a traitor nor a terrorist. 

No sympathy for this asswipe. As has been said, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If Trump pardons these traitors, I will lose my ever loving mind. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

I think Trump won't pardon the rioters because

-he's a selfish bastard who doesn't give a damn that they're feeling bad about ruining their lives for him

-it's much too difficult, there are so many and it would be so much work signing so many papers

-these people are mostly nobodies who can do him no favors in the future

-they might have been there because of his request but they failed to overturn the election so he doesn't think he owes these losers anything

-his lawyers, if he still has any, have told him that pardoning the rioters would look bad in the impeachment trial since if he praises them as patriots who did nothing wrong in the pardoning letter it would be harder to pretend this whole thing wasn't what he wanted all along

-there will be enough of a shitstorm about pardoning his family and himself

-

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 5

Bottom line on the pardons for insurrectionists, a lot of them are saying Trump invited me.  Trump called us.  Etc.  if he pardons them, he’s adding evidence that it was wrong.  So his attorneys aren’t going to let him do that.  

besides, last I heard he’s still trying to figure out how to give himself and his children a blanket pardon for everything they’ve ever done including stuff they haven’t been charged with.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

36 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

it's much too difficult, there are so many and it would be so much work signing so many papers

I don't know.  Carter's 1977 pardon of all Vietnam draft dodgers covered all of them so was as easy as pardoning one person - it was blanket for anyone charged with that particular crime.

Hopefully he doesn't do that with the terrorists who attacked the capitol.  

14 minutes ago, clueliss said:

besides, last I heard he’s still trying to figure out how to give himself and his children a blanket pardon for everything they’ve ever done including stuff they haven’t been charged with.  

I know self pardons have never been tested by the court which has to be killing him, but for his kids couldn't he do the same Ford gave to Nixon?  Blanket for all federal crimes that he may have committed while in office?

• Upvote 13

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2021/01/15/missouris-emily-hernandez-took-nancy-pelosis-sign-in-capitol-riot-feds-say

TFW everyone you know wants you in jail.
kuva.png.56d534ae01017e1afe4e600ce3a5f37e.png

In the ITV footage, the woman identified by the FBI as Emily Hernandez holds the broken sign from Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi's office.

If Hernandez was a popular figure among the insurrectionists, she apparently has a number of enemies. Acquaintances in real life and online were quick to give her up to the FBI. Three people contacted the feds, and "multiple anonymous tipsters" also provided info and images, according to court documents.

Investigators matched up British ITV's footage with Hernandez's own Snapchat video from the Capitol, the FBI says. A helpful frenemy also provided a photo of Hernandez wearing what appears to be the same distinctive winter hat in a Facebook pic.

An ex-high school classmate also identified Hernandez and told the FBI that she was from Sullivan. From there, an investigator matched photos of the woman in the Capitol with Hernandez's driver's license picture.

• Upvote 14

7 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

That article is chilling.  These people WANT violence, and Trump is their excuse.  What kind of broken person grabs hold of such a hateful, fearful ideology and makes it a hill to die on?  Is this some sort of transference of the same instinct that drives male animals to fight to the death for mates?  I simply don't understand, and it makes me so sad.  It also underscores the fact that this movement is not going away, they will not rest, and there are a LOT of them.  

• Upvote 14

Oh good, someone brought an article here about Missouri woman (who at last local report has yet to be arrested)

• Upvote 1

Let's start working toward this thread being about election fallout (and sadly the ensuing seditious crap), and discussion of Soon-to-be-President Biden's policies, appointments, etc in the thread we just made for President Biden, if we can please. ❤️

It's time to start treating Biden as the president he will be in 2 days, 20 hours, and 21 min. :)

I also made a thread for Kamala herself if there's any topics for discussion there: 

Edited by Destiny
more words, and some links
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 14

Friend had this on FB this afternoon. 

90E25DF7-8011-4B63-A8EF-7DC8D81BC329.thumb.jpeg.60e3e93216ba087595d5c689678aa3fa.jpeg

I certainly hope that’s the case. 

Come to think of it I wonder if any of those MAGA dipshits checked in at the Capitol while carrying out a terrorist attack?  Certainly wouldn’t surprise me. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Is this your pastor?

https://d2hxwnssq7ss7g.cloudfront.net/C78EAvkQjlqs_cvt.mp4

I have watched a number of those videos on propublica site and I have come to a number of conclusions:

1. these people are losers with cameras. I guess things might end up out of focus in a violent mob but even when just milling about documenting their historic feat of heroism some of them end up filming their own crotch.

2. one should not enter an insurrection dressed as a clown.

3. so many of them are looking for Pelosi. For shame! ...all of those supposedly tough guys are picking a fight with an 80-year old woman. Aren't there any burly Democratic males who you would dare to touch?

• Upvote 8

In addition to a annual pension for life at the salary of the highest department head of the government (currently  $219k), $1mm travel allowance per anum, secret service detail for former president and spouse, but they also get funds for office space and staff "befitting a former president of the United States."

Forget Trump for a second, why are we paying for office space and staff?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Former_Presidents_Act

These people make serious bank giving speeches, I'm sorry there is no reason taxpayers need to fund an office of 150k for the first year and 96k for all subsequent years for a former president.

Back before our political system went so off the rails where a lot of us put long held policy beliefs on the back burner because the Trump horror show this is what would make blood come out of my ears.

Tax reform needs to include cutting total waste like this as well as reforming how the 1% are taxed.  And while it may be a drop in the bucket, the fiscal bleeding needs to stop and anyone who is familiar with cost accounting (or hell, just following a personal budget) knows that the little amounts add up fast. 

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
corrected salary amount
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

4 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

These people make serious bank giving speeches, I'm sorry there is no reason taxpayers need to fund an office of 150k for the first year and 96k for all subsequent years for a former president.

I agree.  I also wonder who's going to be willing to pay to listen to Trump after Wednesday.  Maybe from a prison cell, kind of like "The Truman Show", but I doubt he'll be ending up there.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I agree.  I also wonder who's going to be willing to pay to listen to Trump after Wednesday.  Maybe from a prison cell, kind of like "The Truman Show", but I doubt he'll be ending up there.

This is a guy who was able to fundraise over $250 mm between the election and early December even with the disclaimer that up to 65%-70% would be used for paying other things besides the legal fight.

In this era of covid and desperate financial struggles people in this country had $250+mm to send to Trump rather than a food bank or helping families struggling hard this year to give their kids some kind of Christmas.

Not expecting them to donate to liberal causes, but the mindset these most "Christian" people are in that they see so much need this year and choose to donate to a fake billionaire manchild tells me there is still a huge market to hear this guy hate out loud.

• Upvote 15
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This is a guy who was able to fundraise over $250 mm between the election and early December even with the disclaimer that up to 65%-70% would be used for paying other things besides the legal fight.

In this era of covid and desperate financial struggles people in this country had $250+mm to send to Trump rather than a food bank or helping families struggling hard this year to give their kids some kind of Christmas.

Not expecting them to donate to liberal causes, but the mindset these most "Christian" people are in that they see so much need this year and choose to donate to a fake billionaire manchild tells me there is still a huge market to hear this guy hate out loud.

Good points, though maybe the donations will dwindle once these people realize there's nothing (other than listening to hate) in it for them anymore.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Ugh

Parler is among the apps that attendees used to stage the event. While others, including Facebook, are viewed as responsible for not taking more aggressive action against extremist rhetoric on their platforms, Parler’s policies openly condoned the racist rhetoric espoused by many of the rioters—and the conspiracy theories that fueled their attack that ended in five deaths. Pulling Parler’s plug was a “last resort,” Amazon said, to prevent further access to such content, including what it called fresh plans for violence “to disrupt the impending Presidential transition.”

Since the suspension, Gizmodo has mapped out the locations of some 70,000 GPS coordinates linked to specific Parler videos thanks to the work of a computer hacker and what Wired cybersecurity reporter Andy Greenberg on Tuesday dubbed an “absurdly basic bug.” In short, Parler failed to implement routine safeguards against web scraping and, leaving many of its users exposed, neglected to strip location metadata from tens of thousands of videos. On Tuesday, Gizmodo managed to identify 618 Parler videos linked to the Capitol attack, which federal prosecutors now contend involved a plot “to capture and assassinate elected officials.”

On Thursday, Gizmodo compiled a database of tens of thousands of U.S.-based law enforcement buildings and immigration detention centers, as well as more than 1,000 domestic and overseas military bases. Their locations were mapped alongside the GPS coordinates pulled from dozens of Parler videos. When possible, the videos were reviewed to determine whether they were actually filmed in one of the buildings of interest.

In total, Gizmodo found that 16 Parler videos were filmed within 50 feet of 10 different local law enforcement buildings, according to GPS data tied to the footage; 39 videos were filmed within 1,000 feet of domestic military facilities; and another 64 were filmed within 500 feet of the entrance of an immigrant detention center. Five additional videos were filmed within 1,000 feet of overseas military bases.

I'd tell the fuzz unless you're actually engaged in bona fide research or are working undercover to short circuit domestic terrorists they have no business on parler or other reich wing sites.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't know.  Carter's 1977 pardon of all Vietnam draft dodgers covered all of them so was as easy as pardoning one person - it was blanket for anyone charged with that particular crime.

Hopefully he doesn't do that with the terrorists who attacked the capitol.  

I know self pardons have never been tested by the court which has to be killing him, but for his kids couldn't he do the same Ford gave to Nixon?  Blanket for all federal crimes that he may have committed while in office?

The prosecutions of the Capitol rioters—including the person or persons who murdered Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick by bludgeoning him with a fire extinguisher—need to be immunized against Trump’s pardon power through joint local and federal prosecutions...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/heres-how-to-pardon-proof-the-cases-against-the-maga-rioters

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic