IGNORED

2020 Election Results 12: Riots, Social Media Banning, And The Longest Election Cycle In History

GreyhoundFan

Most of the fuck stick terrorist mob wasn’t low class economically. 

They were business owners, CEOs, state legislators, police officers, active and retired service members, real-estate brokers, stay-at-home dads, and, I assume, some Proud Boys.

The mob that breached the Capitol last week at President Donald Trump’s exhortation, hoping to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, was full of what you might call “respectable people.” They left dozens of Capitol Police officers injured, screamed “Hang Mike Pence!,” threatened to murder House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and set up a gallows outside the building. Some were extremists using the crowd as cover, but as federal authorities issue indictments, a striking number of those they name appear to be regular Americans.

And there’s nothing surprising about that. Although any crowd that size is bound to include people who are struggling financially, no one should be shocked to see the middle classes so well represented among the mob.

The notion that political violence simply emerges out of economic desperation, rather than ideology, is comforting. But it’s false. Throughout American history, political violence has often been guided, initiated, and perpetrated by respectable people from educated middle- and upper-class backgrounds. The belief that only impoverished people engage in political violence—particularly right-wing political violence—is a misconception often cultivated by the very elites who benefit from that violence.

Hopefully with the internet a lot of these people will find themselves out of jobs and on the way to becoming low class. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2

43 minutes ago, AprilCameron said:

Is he the one that got the mob to chase him in order to get them away from the Senate chamber where the door was open?

Yes! He deserves all the accolades for his bravery. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

KEEP THE ARRESTS COMING. I'm enjoying the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" parade and I want anyone even considering causing any shenanigans to stay home and yell at the tv instead. 

Me reading the article every time a new arrest is announced:

Spoiler

happy i love this song GIF by Matthew Butler

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 7

9 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I don't think she needs to worry too much about returning to in person learning! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 19
  • I Agree 3

I suspect that carrying on the fight against cannibalistic pedophiles and human traffickers will consist of shit posting on facebook and twitter. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 19

The is the firefighter arrested.  I think I shared a photo pages ago with folks trying to ID him.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, 47of74 said:

The notion that political violence simply emerges out of economic desperation, rather than ideology, is comforting. But it’s false. Throughout American history, political violence has often been guided, initiated, and perpetrated by respectable people from educated middle- and upper-class backgrounds. The belief that only impoverished people engage in political violence—particularly right-wing political violence—is a misconception often cultivated by the very elites who benefit from that violence.

This is I think one reason why these people are posting and admitting to entering the Capitol. They don't see themselves as having committed crimes - that's something those other people do, they are just "protesting". I think quite a few of them did actually get carried away by mob sentiment - which is to say that they probably wouldn't  have stormed the Capitol if the rest weren't - the guy who came forward the day after is I think one who probably wouldn't have, or one smart enough to wake up and think ohshitohshitohshit in the cold light of day (unfortunately for them that isn't actually an excuse under law ). Some definitely were organised and planned to incite and commit violence. 

A lot of this proud posting is that they don't see themselves as criminals but decent, law abiding citizens from nice families driven to the edge, ergo these weren't crimes. (Funny how they don't apply that logic to anyone else - I doubt this would apply to a middle class POC protester, or even a low SES white one.)

• Upvote 24
  • Love 1

Reading up - YAY the got the guy who was beating people with a flag pole that held the American Flag!

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

The is the firefighter arrested.  I think I shared a photo pages ago with folks trying to ID him.

And this guy told a friend he was there, only for the friend to tip the authorities off.   

These people don't realize that even their friends and family might be pissed off and help in throwing the book at them.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

14 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

And this guy told a friend he was there, only for the friend to tip the authorities off.   

These people don't realize that even their friends and family might be pissed off and help in throwing the book at them.

I'm thinking a lot of these folks knew what their march to the Capitol would/could turn into, some who thought they'd go peaceful let themselves get carried away with the mob, and they believed there would be pardons to wipe their slates clean.

• I Agree 13

@nokidsmom Klete whoever (the swimmer) - his former teammates turned him in.  He was wearing a US Swim Team Jacket in the Capital (also something like 6'6" and hard to miss)

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, clueliss said:

@nokidsmom Klete whoever (the swimmer) - his former teammates turned him in.  He was wearing a US Swim Team Jacket in the Capital (also something like 6'6" and hard to miss)

I saw that. I also read an article that they are turning the idiot woman who was shot into a martyr. Not surprised. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

but there are people out there who would probably take orders from a fish if they thought it was communicating silent Trump directives.

Would be surprised if the MAGAt crowd DOESN’T have a majority that blew past this point long ago. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

40 minutes ago, clueliss said:

It's amazing how so many wore things that helped get them identified from the guy who stupidly wore his company badge to distinctive costumes like the horned buffalo dude.   

And of course most of them not wearing masks: they had to make the political statement but it not only exposed them to Covid, it helped get them identified.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

33 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I saw that. I also read an article that they are turning the idiot woman who was shot into a martyr. Not surprised. 

We all know logic and extremists don’t often meet, but Babbit was there voluntarily. Real martyrs typically don’t get a choice in the matter or continue moving toward a gun when they see one; as she did.

• Upvote 16

On 1/12/2021 at 10:32 AM, Xan said:

I just listened to this video.  It looks as if it's been viewed over 5 million times.  And he's bat-crap crazy.

In case anyone else doesn't want to waste the time viewing it:  He made it on the 9th and says that martial law is eminent and everyone ought to be stocking up on groceries.  He has "several sources" who are "within the government".  He believes that ANTIFA (pretending to be Trumpers) caused the insurrection and that undercover military went in with them and stole laptops (even Nancy Pelosi's!) and now the Democrats are scared to death because they are going to be rounded up.  

He also believes that Franklin Roosevelt made the country a corporation after WWII and Trump is trying to get us back to being a Republic.  

This is troublesome on all sorts of levels.  This guy doesn't sound totally stupid.  He's a minister in Texas and has a big following.  He could see with his own eyes what happened on the 6th, yet he prefers to believe his Q-type friends and think that Trump is the good guy here.  I'm going to bookmark his page for a bit to see how he sounds after Trump leaves office next week.

Okay.  I went back to see what the preacher has posted.  Apparently, Facebook flagged him and he in in time-out.  He made another public page to explain but I think the original video is just gone now.  He's gotten pushback from some commenters about claiming that martial law was coming in two-three days -- and that was five days ago.  

He still believes the Q stuff and thinks that law enforcement is coming for all those pesky liberal offenders any day now.  He just made a new post saying that they would, of course, not announce that they're planning raids and mass arrests. A bunch of his followers are agreeing and adding praying hands to their posts.  

These people are nuts.

• Upvote 16

1 minute ago, Xan said:

Okay.  I went back to see what the preacher has posted.  Apparently, Facebook flagged him and he in in time-out.  He made another public page to explain but I think the original video is just gone now.  He's gotten pushback from some commenters about claiming that martial law was coming in two-three days -- and that was five days ago.  

He still believes the Q stuff and thinks that law enforcement is coming for all those pesky liberal offenders any day now.  He just made a new post saying that they would, of course, not announce that they're planning raids and mass arrests. A bunch of his followers are agreeing and adding praying hands to their posts.  

These people are nuts.

Just cut ties with someone who’s been a friend for years when she started in with the ‘ANTIFA did it’ bullshit.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 10

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic