IGNORED

Maxwell 37: The Moody Family Buys Matching Vests to Wear to Jesse's Wedding

Coconut Flan

Today's evidence that my reaction to pandemic-induced stress is to become a total space cadet: I am just now learning that Jesse is engaged. Despite posting on this very thread whose title is about Jesse's freaking wedding!?! (Also Sarah Mally is getting married? Where the hell have I been?)

I suspected after John's marriage that Steve might not let any of the daughters go, but now am certain there really isn't any hope for those poor girls. And it's not because of their ages. It's because Steve cares desperately about his image, and we long speculated about what would win out: his need to control his daughters or his need to maintain a certain appearance for his brand.

We now know the answer. There is no way people aren't talking about this family with five married brothers and all three sisters at home and unmarried. If he cared more about appearances, he would have begun matchmaking in earnest for his daughters after John's wedding at the latest.

Unless a khaki-wearing Fundie gent who aligns with all of Steve's obscure religious dictates has his (paid for in cash) car break down in front of the Maxwells' house, those women are not escaping.  

On 4/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'll be honest, I don't understand the need for nicknames, the place I know outside of Maxhell where people are consistently addressed by disparaging nicknames is when Trump speaks.  

We could just refer to her as Anna and differentiate if context requires it.  

I find the nicknames childish and mean-spirited.  They also make all of us who post here look bad whether we use them or not. Let's please just drop them. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 2

8 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Unless a khaki-wearing Fundie gent who aligns with all of Steve's obscure religious dictates has his (paid for in cash) car break down in front of the Maxwells' house, those women are not escaping.  

The mental image of this made me chuckle. The dark green polo shirt- and pleated khaki-wearing fundie would naturally have cell phone clipped to his belt, hair combed neatly with gel, and on his way to a coffee mocha shop meeting with clients of his home-based business. I could see Sarah, Reversal Anna, and Mary fighting each other to get to call towing service for him!

About Elissa... I remember (maybe incorrectly) that she was raised pretty much Steve-approved way with siblings as your best friends and no friends outside home. At her wedding her bridesmaids were her two sisters and the Maxwell daughters, no childhood/church friends or close cousins you usually see in fundie wedding parties. So I think even if she sometimes seems a bit more modern (like wearing make up and jewelry), she still swims in the deep end of the fundiedom pool.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

18 hours ago, Granwych said:

"Easter" is derived from the pagan goddess Eostre.   I believe she is the goddess associated with spring.

She is also associated with fertility. You'd almost think they would want to include her.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

I thought Elissa's family did 4H? I may be wrong -- please correct me if so! But if she did 4H, there's a lot of interaction in that program, so she wouldn't be totally isolated. And if her family did any type of outside-the-home church, then there is interaction with other church families, and with relatives, and so on.

Steve's family is pretty unique in that all their activities are within the family circle. The third-gen, the grandchildren, will at least learn to interact with their cousins, but they're not getting the travelling experiences of their parents.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Can someone please tell me where I can find a pic of Elissa in pants. That's very interesting. Is owning a business the only approved profession for Steve? I bet a young pastor wouldn't even be good enough for him. Not a JB Duggar fan but at least he likes to joke around and have fun a little. Plus he's "very" affectionate with Michelle. Don't think Steve would feel comfortable with that??

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Plus he's "very" affectionate with Michelle. Don't think Steve would feel comfortable with that??

JB being overtly sexual with Michelle is no different than Steve giving monologues about his testicles.  They are both crowing about the apparently (to them) miraculous achievement of having sex with their wives.   

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

Plus he's "very" affectionate with Michelle. Don't think Steve would feel comfortable with that??

Steve's not the only one!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Is owning a business the only approved profession for Steve? I bet a young pastor wouldn't even be good enough for him. 

No, a young pastor wouldn't fly and here's why: being debt-free and buying a house in cash is of paramount importance in Steve's mind. Maybe to the point of being an idol. A young pastor would've had to do some college - enough to incur some debt, and to not have 100K just lying around for home purchasing. Not to mention that he'd be college-educated (and possibly indoctrinated in something Steve would find disagreeable) not self-educated like the Maxboys. Maybe he'd get a pastorate in a church with a parsonage, but if he didn't, or if he started in a church with a parsonage and then transferred to one without, he'd have to purchase a home. There's some mortgage/tax relief provided for pastors in this situation but it's not a big handout and certainly not enough to buy a house. Especially if that house needs to be big enough for 8-10 children. 

18 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I find the nicknames childish and mean-spirited.  They also make all of us who post here look bad whether we use them or not. Let's please just drop them. 

I don't disagree with you, but something I saw online had just popped into my head today and I had to share it...not suggesting we adopt this system, but...

What did the musician name his three daughters?
Anna 1, Anna 2, Anna 3

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 28

18 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Do you really think Steve would let someone who maintains his vehicle so poorly that it breaks down court one of his daughters, even if he is a khaki-wearing Fundie gent?  As to Elissa and Chelsy not knowing what they were getting into, I'm sure the marriages would not have taken place if the beliefs of both families didn't line up with a precision rarely seen outside of the International Bureau of Weights and Measures. However, there are varying degrees of patriarchal control and they probably were not prepared for Steve's insane level of control.

Edited by Black Aliss
syntax
  • Upvote 11
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 2

As far as not using nicknames, I usually avoid it, but autocorrect always spells John's wife's name as Cheesy and I'm not gonna correct that.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 18

I seem to remember on Chelsy’s blog, when she announced the engagement, some of her blog readers were clearly surprised by her engagement to a Maxwell and tried to give her warnings.

I certainly remember one really questioning her, saying that the Maxwell family were so isolated from others and so hardcore in their beliefs that they isolate from everyone and is she really sure this is the way for her to go. I think it may have been deleted but I’m sure it was discussed on here. So not everyone was happy for her.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, allyisyourpally5 said:

I seem to remember on Chelsy’s blog, when she announced the engagement, some of her blog readers were clearly surprised by her engagement to a Maxwell and tried to give her warnings.

I certainly remember one really questioning her, saying that the Maxwell family were so isolated from others and so hardcore in their beliefs that they isolate from everyone and is she really sure this is the way for her to go. I think it may have been deleted but I’m sure it was discussed on here. So not everyone was happy for her.

I remember that.

She answered that John was a very social person (not isolated) and she sometimes had trouble keeping up with him.

From the little I've seen of Chelsy, and what I know of John from the blog, they actually seem like a good match.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

6 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I remember that.

She answered that John was a very social person (not isolated) and she sometimes had trouble keeping up with him.

From the little I've seen of Chelsy, and what I know of John from the blog, they actually seem like a good match.  

I don't think any match that results in infants being "trained" not to touch their food and wish to control their children to unhealthy degrees is a good one.

They were both raised by people who followed the Pearls.  Unless one separates entirely or loudly and repeatedly disavows their methods I fear for children, no matter how well mommy may cook and whether or not daddy plays volleyball with his in-laws.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 6

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I don't think any match that results in infants being "trained" not to touch their food and wish to control their children to unhealthy degrees is a good one.

I hear ya, but I actually meant "good" in that they are similar people, from similar backgrounds, with similar beliefs.  The other poster had mentioned people warning Chelsy about the Maxwells, but Chelsy (unlike Joseph's former fiance, Elizabeth) wasn't daunted as her background wasn't much different.

I didn't mean they were good people.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

5 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I hear ya, but I actually meant "good" in that they are similar people, from similar backgrounds, with similar beliefs.  The other poster had mentioned people warning Chelsy about the Maxwells, but Chelsy (unlike Joseph's former fiance, Elizabeth) wasn't daunted as her background wasn't much different.

I didn't mean they were good people.

Gotcha - I agree on that point.  Sad that they'll likley be happy together as they marinate in control and bigotry.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 2

New post up...

I find it interesting that Anna Marie's sister Sarah is mentioned and referred to as "Auntie Sarah" with no other name attached. Also, I wonder if she is currently staying with Christopher and the kids or if the activity the mentioned happened before Anna Marie left?

• Upvote 7

On 4/18/2020 at 7:37 AM, Paperplate said:

I remember finding out that Sarah's middle name was Rae and thinking that was a pretty... racy name. It sounds kinda like a stripper name to me???

But I looked it up and it's all innocent and actually very fitting. It means ewe in Hebrew. And Sarah really is such a good little girl sheep.

I found this funny because my middle name is Rae, and 1) I never heard it associated with strippers until someone mentioned it on the Carlin Bates thread when she announced her daughter’s name, and 2) no one would ever mistake me for an exotic dancer.  

My parents picked it because they liked it.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I imagine Auntie Sarah (not Gracie) has accompanied NR Anna to Washington To help out with the baby. I do not think having her stay with her brother-in-law and take care of the older five kids would be approved. I think Anna and Mary are taking on that role and Teri will help with homeschooling. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, Markie said:

Teri will help with homeschooling. 

Like those kids don't have it hard enough right now.  :(

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

23 minutes ago, nvmbr02 said:

New post up...

I find it interesting that Anna Marie's sister Sarah is mentioned and referred to as "Auntie Sarah" with no other name attached. Also, I wonder if she is currently staying with Christopher and the kids or if the activity the mentioned happened before Anna Marie left?

I think the activity was before Anna left. In the second photo, Anna is in the background with...I think...Teri.  

• Upvote 3

On 4/19/2020 at 5:17 PM, Jigsaw3 said:

I thought Elissa's family did 4H? I may be wrong -- please correct me if so! But if she did 4H, there's a lot of interaction in that program, so she wouldn't be totally isolated. And if her family did any type of outside-the-home church, then there is interaction with other church families, and with relatives, and so on.

Steve's family is pretty unique in that all their activities are within the family circle. The third-gen, the grandchildren, will at least learn to interact with their cousins, but they're not getting the travelling experiences of their parents.

No, you're not wrong. Elissa did 4H and appeared in photos with other 4Hers. So she must have at least talked to them enough to get a photo together.

You would image friendships would grow from that but you never know how this thing was handle in her family.

42 minutes ago, catlady said:

I found this funny because my middle name is Rae, and 1) I never heard it associated with strippers until someone mentioned it on the Carlin Bates thread when she announced her daughter’s name, and 2) no one would ever mistake me for an exotic dancer.  

:D I think Rae is a pretty sounding name as well.

I don't know where the association comes from. It's not a name we have in my country so at least for me it must have come from US media, I guess.

• Upvote 6

42 minutes ago, catlady said:

An acquaintance has four daughters, three of whom have rhyming middle names: Faye, May, and Rae. I swear I’m not making this up. I never thought they sounded stripper-esque, just southern.

• Upvote 9

On 4/17/2020 at 7:28 PM, fundiefan said:

For a taste of who Nathan is, watch this. His kindergarten teacher tone is obnoxious.

Joe has a bunch of videos on YouTube for SwiftOtter, too. They give some insight into how he "works". 

I'm a bit late for this but I wanted to add that they all seem to have a really similar way of speaking. I mean, the content is VERY different but it still reminds me of this video of Anna comparing abortion to the holocaust (Favourite line: "I look just like my mom; I have skin!"). Those horribly condescending rhetorical devices... I feel like Sarah too sounds very similar in her videos about her books.

Also, this video is framed really strangely!

? "Nathan, what big hands you have!" 
? "The better to grab your soul for Jesus!"

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, catlady said:

I’ve never thought of Rae as a stripper name. I think the only reason why it was is because Layla was paired with it. Sarah Rae or Elizabeth Rae would never be thought of as a stripper name. Although I don’t think Layla is a stripper name either. I admit that names like Champagne and Diamond are more stripperish to me.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve never thought of Rae as a stripper name. I think the only reason why it was is because Layla was paired with it. Sarah Rae or Elizabeth Rae would never be thought of as a stripper name. Although I don’t think Layla is a stripper name either. I admit that names like Champagne and Diamond are more stripperish to me.

I think the name Rae is lovely.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic