IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M'Kids 22: Sex Pest and Fam in the Windowless Warehouse

HerNameIsBuffy

Arkansas has no rules about not congregating in large groups, only suggestions. They are free to be as stupid as they want to be, until they all start getting it, then they are free to lock themselves in their homes and not waste hospital resources because they were assholes who didn't follow any rules.  

• Upvote 15

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Arkansas has no rules about not congregating in large groups, only suggestions. They are free to be as stupid as they want to be, until they all start getting it, then they are free to lock themselves in their homes and not waste hospital resources because they were assholes who didn't follow any rules.  

They are free and will continue to do so.

I live in Spain, so one of the world's tardes quarantines, and here we can be together in our own home and that is pretty much it. If you usually live with 10 people, big family, fine, if a stranger is there, not fine. In rural settings you might have a plot of land with two buildings, that would be considered two households and people should stay away, although it is difficult to imagine the police getting involved about something happening in a private piece of land. Posting a picture of yourself visiting a friend o  social media can get you a nice sweet big fine.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pet peeve: Anna’s overuse of “And” on her instagram page. I prefer when she just features her kids telling kid jokes. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• 5 weeks later...

Did y’all see that Anna posted a message about George Floyd? Idk how to put the pic in a spoiler so I won’t post it, but it’s on her instagram. 

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, FunFunFundies said:

Did y’all see that Anna posted a message about George Floyd? Idk how to put the pic in a spoiler so I won’t post it, but it’s on her instagram. 

All the comments by her black followers saying how "shocked" they are to see her post about it tells me all I need to know.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, FunFunFundies said:

Jessa, Jinger, and the main Duggar acct all posted about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Jessa, Jinger, and the main Duggar acct all posted about it.

Also Ben and Jeremy. Jeremy’s also doing an Instagram Live about it at 6:30 PST.

Hey, Derick hasn’t tweeted since April! Margaret Cho follows some of the Duggars’ Twitter accounts - are you here, Margaret?

• Haha 9

They are defintely doing it because everyone else is. Did they say anything about uplifting Black voices? 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

They are defintely doing it because everyone else is. Did they say anything about uplifting Black voices? 

Nope, everything they've posted is prayers or how we're all equal in the eyes of the Lord. ?

• Upvote 7

Yeah, all the most active Duggars posted that Latin phrase about being equal in the eyes of God. Anna had to edit her post because she first said something about how George's mother must be feeling. Commenters had to tell her that his mother died two years ago.

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Exactly! It’s the new status quo. 

I’m sure their PR team is satisfied. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Dear Duggars (and Bateseseses) - not impressed.  I follow morman family vloggers.  You know what impressed me?  This is How We Bingham.  They have a daily vlog on Youtube.  They posted a video yesterday with a black screen and #blackoutTuesday.  The video was 8 minutes, 47 seconds.  Meaning they did their research and knew the significance of the time.  They at least acted like they got it.  (looking at their stats today - they have 949 dislikes)

Spoiler

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Atheist here, but I believe if the Christian God existed we would all be equal in his eyes.  That's not really the issue here, Duggars.  It's the eyes of society (and in particular law enforcement and judicial systems) that aren't viewing and treating everyone equally.

Look pretty and do as little as possible... is that the family motto?

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

40 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

It's the eyes of society (and in particular law enforcement and judicial systems) that aren't viewing and treating everyone equally.

THIS! Even as a Christian I totally agree that yes we all are equal in God's image, 100% but guess what? we are still living ON earth and you made it so clear to me why as a Christian I get bothered with people only sticking with "we are all equal under God" because we aren't in society.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 2

In regards to Anna, at least she is trying, as always. I also sympathize with George Floyds mother even though she is dead. 

As an atheist I think that it is okay and expected that a lot of Christians might turn to prayer or Jesus  etc. at this point for comfort. 

I even think that personally the Duggars are( probably and hopefully) fairly horrified by the footage of George Floyds death if they have all in fact watched it (Jeremey V has watched and has spoken about it....thank goodness we were all waiting, right).  

But I don't think it's okay for anyone to so swiftly sweep over the complexities of all of this and dismiss it as Satan.  And use all that is going on as an excuse to draw people in to your ways, make it all about getting more souls for Christ....especially when what you really do is use Christ's name to further your movements in politics which do nothing at all for the black community and so many others and in fact strive to keep them down. The constant abortion issue for instance has little to do with abortion and much to do with getting an army of ppl to vote on one cause (fetus holocaust) and ignore all other policy that might help communities in the long run. 

Jim Bob said he just knew the right way to vote on one issue when he ran and that was his platform (and that shit is christian nationalism trick and it aint your friend). The Family research council that Josh was on...do you think the FRC helps out eh blacks? Jeremy signing off on the pastor thing basically against blacks, people of colour or women complaining too much about their place or whatever. 

These people are not friends of black people be they Christian or otherwise.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Josh and Anna's wedding is circulating on social media again, so I took a peek.

Some observations:

- the episode's title "A very Duggar wedding" perfectly captures the weirdness of it all, imo.

- The wedding was on a Friday evening. Unusual. Right before hump time.

- Mrs Keller and other women had crab salad up to their elbows, as they stirred it with their hands (maybe they were wearing gloves? They still had crab pulp up to their elbows).

- Josiah was such a fun kid, free as he was to be himself.

- Anna was so naive. Josh was bold and playing a part, he felt confident enough to even sass JB a bit, during their "sex ed" little squalid session.

- Michelle was honestly getting emotional.

- The vows were the most Gothard-cringey one could conceive. They were on a whole different level compared to any subsequent Duggar wedding. The stress was on the subservient, obedient wife. More than a wedding, the wording felt like... an adoption? Like, passing the baton from dad to new adult male. Anna, of course, was oblivious to the weirdness, taking it for granted.

- Anna's dad was proud of the transfer of authority, describing it as "the way it should be".

- Josh was very vocal to his in-laws about his fear of being slowed down by the trashed car, on the way to the hotel. 

- It might just be a feeling, but Anna and Josh acted as if they were on two completely different planets on their wedding day. Anna was almost vulnerable in her naivete next to her husband, but she also sounded way more rigid/serious than Josh, when addressing their future and married life. 

--

I can't help thinking that the "public courtship ==> transfer of authority" approach to marriage does nothing to discourage abuse. Lots of fundie parents are really into the "once married, none of my business" belief, urging daughters not to disclose anything to them should problems arise within the couple. This closed door attitude isn't very pretty, coming from parents, especially when it's the same parents who went extra lengths to keep a tight leash on their sheltered kids till their wedding day. And it isn't as much about not meddling in a couple's affairs (which still happens at a higher rate than average when family businesses or communal family homeschooling are present) as it is about restricting a child's support network. Once that child is married, the most important thing categorically becomes the marriage, not the child.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 7

Josh’s engagement and wedding was my first experience of watching the show. I couldn’t stand him then- he was conceited and had clearly been raised as the alpha male by his parents. Of course I didn’t realise just how dreadful he and his parents were at the time. I never bought into the ‘poor Anna’ narrative and I still don’t. She had a sheltered upbringing but I never saw her as unintelligent- but rather a very willing participant to the Duggar life. She should have insisted on a wedding dress that didn’t look like a 3 times too big t shirt, however! 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

On 3/9/2020 at 2:47 PM, Xan said:

They should have gotten help for the girls and they should have removed Josh from the home permanently and gotten him counselling.  He could have been sent to live with relatives or put into some Christian school.  Maybe he would have preferred that to returning to live under JB's rules and helping with all those younger siblings.  Instead, once he returned, they buried it and enforced more crazy rules.  They made the girls forgive him.  In my mind, Jim Bob and Michelle failed their children -- particularly those girls.

Yeah..  He went from being the loved, oldest child to the keeper of the herd.  He probably did want to get away.  

This isn't minimizing what Josh did.  It's just pointing out his parents bear a ton of responsibility here too.

I don't think Josh enjoys being fundie, deep down. Sure, he may like the status men enjoy in the IFB, but given a choice, would Josh pick a fundie lifestyle over a non-fundie one?

Think of it: he was the firstborn, the only Duggar child who got to experience life before Michelle and Jim Bob "met" Gothard and fell for the IFB's ways.

He saw child after child after child being added to the fam, previously normal activities become restricted, contradictory roles of privilege and excessive responsibility (age-wise) being bestowed upon himself (following yourtrain of thought here). He witnessed perms, economic struggle and spaces getting reduced. I think it's possible he always conceived that he was "He" and his siblings were a different matter. And in a way, the younger ones probably were, as clueless as they were. Not to mention the terrible way the family handled the whole matter of sex, purity and such, full of blatant contradictions. Maybe there's a connection between the handcuffing of Josh and his manhandling of the Ashley Madison sex worker.

And then we get to Josh's wedding: he got to work for FRC as a firstborn, but his position came at the price of a pure public courtship and hyper restrictive covenant wedding vows. Not only for the wife, but for him as well, since all eyes were on him and it would've been unconceivable  not to add the "leaving the quiver size up to God" clause to the vows, as Anna recited with glassy awaiting eyes. Josh always acted like he was trying to get away and break away from rules, but being unable to publicly express his real wishes and desires, he turned into an exploiter. 

Nothing will wash Josh's responsibilities off him, but this doesn't mean that he got what he wanted from life, so far.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

46 minutes ago, FighterJet said:

I don't think Josh enjoys being fundie, deep down. Sure, he may like the status men enjoy in the IFB, but given a choice, would Josh pick a fundie lifestyle over a non-fundie one?

Think of it: he was the firstborn, the only Duggar child who got to experience life before Michelle and Jim Bob "met" Gothard and fell for the IFB's ways.

He saw child after child after child being added to the fam, previously normal activities become restricted, contradictory roles of privilege and excessive responsibility (age-wise) being bestowed upon himself (following yourtrain of thought here). He witnessed perms, economic struggle and spaces getting reduced. I think it's possible he always conceived that he was "He" and his siblings were a different matter. And in a way, the younger ones probably were, as clueless as they were. Not to mention the terrible way the family handled the whole matter of sex, purity and such, full of blatant contradictions. Maybe there's a connection between the handcuffing of Josh and his manhandling of the Ashley Madison sex worker.

And then we get to Josh's wedding: he got to work for FRC as a firstborn, but his position came at the price of a pure public courtship and hyper restrictive covenant wedding vows. Not only for the wife, but for him as well, since all eyes were on him and it would've been unconceivable  not to add the "leaving the quiver size up to God" clause to the vows, as Anna recited with glassy awaiting eyes. Josh always acted like he was trying to get away and break away from rules, but being unable to publicly express his real wishes and desires, he turned into an exploiter. 

Nothing will wash Josh's responsibilities off him, but this doesn't mean that he got what he wanted from life, so far.

I agree with a lot of what you say but while I agree Josh may not have wholeheartedly agreed with the IBLP blueprint he was certainly prepared to use it to get the lifestyle he wanted. He embraced his role in FRC- and was happy to trumpet all its hateful bigotry (watched adoringly and supported by Anna). I’m sure if the scandal hadn’t surfaced he’d hold some sort of public office now and probably pop up on Fox News to talk about ‘family values’.

Also worth pointing out that Anna is by far the most vocal politically on social media out of any of the children or in laws. She openly supports Trump and is happy to retweet plenty of right wing nonsense because she knows she is sainted Anna- the forgiving wife.

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

In the past I might have had pity for Josh and Anna because when compared to the other married Duggars their lives and relationship seem so depressing, bland, sterile and likely lacking love and companionship, but when you compare it to what it could be without the  Duggar family’s financial and physical support, yeah, the pity goes away.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but while I agree Josh may not have wholeheartedly agreed with the IBLP blueprint he was certainly prepared to use it to get the lifestyle he wanted. He embraced his role in FRC- and was happy to trumpet all its hateful bigotry (watched adoringly and supported by Anna). I’m sure if the scandal hadn’t surfaced he’d hold some sort of public office now and probably pop up on Fox News to talk about ‘family values’.

Also worth pointing out that Anna is by far the most vocal politically on social media out of any of the children or in laws. She openly supports Trump and is happy to retweet plenty of right wing nonsense because she knows she is sainted Anna- the forgiving wife.

Anna definitely is more of a natural in political communication than her BIL Jedidiah is, and maybe ever will be. She’s comfortable and straight to the point. She was like this before the scandal, the choice to stick with Josh after Ashley Madison only made her more motivated to lobby for her views - at least publicly - even as she inevitably lost the couth that came with being picture perfect AND a Duggar. Probably not responding in this manner would make things harder to bear for her: losing her pedestal of virtue would mean losing the rationale for not accepting Daniel Keller’s offer. Fundies’ concept of virtue is skewed: Anna is expected to forgive the sinner, but somehow it doesn’t matter that Josh was caught, not confessed, hence was unrepentant.

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, Idlewild said:

@FighterJet it was Satan’s fault, remember, not Josh. 

Surely they can’t expect to blame Satan for everything. What about their choices, free will and ultimately their responsibility to admit to their own faults and failings? Repentance has to be REAL and forgiveness needs to be earned by genuine remorse and an acceptance of what one has done wrong and a genuine desire not to do it again, confessing this to God. What an “easy” life to live by “Satan made me do it. Sorry. All forgiven so everyone has to forgive me too. “ The intellectual and emotional naivety of fundies never ceases to amaze and disappoint me. 

• Upvote 10

It bothers me that Meredith is wearing two shirts in this pic. It is summer, in the south. I can't help but think Anna felt the need to cover up 1in of four-year-old collarbone. Given what Josh did to Joy, I don't doubt poor Meredith is being taught it's her responsibility to be uncomfortable so pedophiles aren't tempted by her.  ?

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 8
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic