IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

I took care of my twin granddaughters when they were little. The only real meltdown was partially my fault--I knew they were getting tired and cranky but we were passing a market I like a ways from home so I decided we could go in and get some stuff they liked. What they liked was blackberries. What they did was throw a fit and throw them--hard--all over the white tile floor. It was an Amish market so they were very nice and couldn't curse us out, although I don't know what they were saying in their own language as we left LOL.

My only other good story is a friend who's son decided to pitch a fit because she wouldn't get him the cookies he wanted. He started screaming "No, No, Please don't beat me. Please!" at the top of his lungs. She barely made it out of the store alive. Said she never hit him before but...

• Haha 10

11 hours ago, patsymae said:

He started screaming "No, No, Please don't beat me. Please!" at the top of his lungs. She barely made it out of the store alive. Said she never hit him before but...

OMG, my younger daughter did the exact same thing once when we had company over. She was in Kindergarten. 

• Haha 5
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Yeah I always ask if they can get any louder...it kills it pretty fast.

lol, I can't help but imagine this in a Chandler Bing voice, "can you get any louder?"

Edited by Perrierwithlemon
typo
  • Haha 13

On 3/17/2020 at 7:47 AM, lizzybee said:

In Georgia we call them buggies. A basket would be the ones you carry. 

Same here in North Carolina, although we also call them carts. It can be different slightly based on age and how much contact with "the city" (Charlotte, here) you have. The older and more rural, the more unique Southernisms there are, generally. 

I've never heard anyone say "Coke" and mean anything other than actual "Coke" however. Generally it's just "a drink" like "You want something to drink?" or "I'm thirsty, I'm gonna get a drink." or maybe "soda". Never "pop".

"Tea" is always super sweet and iced, unless specified otherwise. 

Barbecue or BBQ is a specific food. Cooking outdoors is done on a grill, and called a cookout or cooking out, and generally doesn't involve barbecue.

Where most people these days use "bag" for the paper or plastic bags at the grocery store, my dad still sometimes says "sack", and his dad always called a paper bag a "poke". His dad also called the couch/sofa the "settee" (pronounced set-TEE).

I love regional language variations! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

• @Alisamer,  an old Southern term for soda pop is "dope" from the old days when Coca-Cola was reputed to have contained a wee bit of cocaine.  

I'm the weird person from the South that likes her tea unsweetened and, if I do make it from scratch for a holiday dinner, will only put a half-cup of sugar in it.  

I think that barbecue became used for other grilling because traditionally barbecue is cooked over coals outside.  Barbecue is a whole different animal than grilling though.  My second oldest daughter and her husband are competitive barbecuers and what they do takes all day, if not longer.

• Upvote 4

I wonder if the COVID19 outbreak will have any effect on Jill & Derick's plan for Izzy to attend public school.  I sure hope not.

• Upvote 11

The tea being iced talk reminded me of when I was on holiday in the far north of Italy where they also speak some German.

I was trying to speak Italian but they assumed I was German (I am Dutch) so when I wanted a 'Tè caldo' they thought I meant the German 'Kalt'. It always confused me that Italians say 'caldo' for warm while all the Germanic language have their word for cold sound similar (cold, kalt, koud,etc)

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 3/19/2020 at 2:37 PM, Alisamer said:

Where most people these days use "bag" for the paper or plastic bags at the grocery store, my dad still sometimes says "sack", and his dad always called a paper bag a "poke". 

Even more interesting is that "poke" is most often used in regions of Appalachia with large numbers of Scots-Irish and Irish immigrants. And "poca" is the Gaelic word for bag and "poke" is still used today in Scotland, I believe. 

Here's a cute video about Appalachian accents with some amazing characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

Northern Irish here and I use poke all the time! A poke of chips (fries)... An ice-cream is also a poke, an ice cream man is the pokey man... Have to be careful though- if I give my husband a nudge and ask him about a quick poke it's something entirely different! 

• Haha 27

On 3/22/2020 at 2:06 PM, nausicaa said:

Even more interesting is that "poke" is most often used in regions of Appalachia with large numbers of Scots-Irish and Irish immigrants. And "poca" is the Gaelic word for bag and "poke" is still used today in Scotland, I believe. 

Here's a cute video about Appalachian accents with some amazing characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

That's definitely related to where we get the phrase "A pig in a poke", meaning something bought without inspection, since you can't see a "pig" that's in a bag before you buy it to open it. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

On 3/19/2020 at 1:37 PM, Alisamer said:

"Tea" is always super sweet and iced, unless specified otherwise. 

My SiL, Georgia born and bred, introduced me to the concept of sweet tea awhile back.  I'm a Texan and was not familiar with sweet tea.  We just had iced tea.  If it was a really hot, really really hot day, we drank it out of a quart jar with a lot of ice, because who wants to run out? 

Now most BBQ places & convenience stores  here make the sweet tea/unsweetened tea distinction clear on their dispensers. 

On 3/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, CarrotCake said:

It always confused me that Italians say 'caldo' for warm

If you order caldo or caldo de res in a TexMex restaurant here, you'll get bowl of broth with a half corn-on-the-cob,  some large carrot pieces and a nice hunk of beef and some other veggies.  Tasty. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Nurse Nic said:

Northern Irish here and I use poke all the time! A poke of chips (fries)... An ice-cream is also a poke, an ice cream man is the pokey man... Have to be careful though- if I give my husband a nudge and ask him about a quick poke it's something entirely different! 

How do you pronounce poke?

Like, when it comes to poke and  food, I think of the Hawaiian dish which is pronounced poh-KAY, and made with raw fish (usually ahi tuna). 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

At least in the southern US, poke as a synonym for bag is just pronounced poke as in poke someone.  I would assume that Northern ireland is the same.

• Upvote 9

On 3/20/2020 at 3:03 AM, CarrotCake said:

The tea being iced talk reminded me of when I was on holiday in the far north of Italy where they also speak some German.

I was trying to speak Italian but they assumed I was German (I am Dutch) so when I wanted a 'Tè caldo' they thought I meant the German 'Kalt'. It always confused me that Italians say 'caldo' for warm while all the Germanic language have their word for cold sound similar (cold, kalt, koud,etc)

I actually did get it wrong - we went to Italy when my oldest was 4.  I had studied German for 8 years.  Before we went, I listened to Italian on cassette tape for a month or two (this was back in 2001, pre-Duolingo or any other internet programs).  Anyway, we flew into Milan and took a train to Lago di Garda and were totally jet-lagged.  Stopped at a little cafe for a snack and I ordered milk 'Caldo' for my 4 year old.  Of course it was hot.  So after that she kept talking about the 'hot milk cafe'.  Like it was their fault, not mine ;-).  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/19/2020 at 12:59 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Me too.  This is a fun quiz.  Was pretty accurate for me.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

Being from Central Iowa these tests ALWAYS nail our location. It is the Question "what do you call the night before Halloween".  We are the only place in the world that calls it "beggars night" that is when our kids go trick or treating.  We do this because 60 years ago satan ruined Halloween for all of America, but we out smarted him by moving it a night earlier. ?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

10 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Being from Central Iowa these tests ALWAYS nail our location. It is the Question "what do you call the night before Halloween".  We are the only place in the world that calls it "beggars night" that is when our kids go trick or treating.  We do this because 60 years ago satan ruined Halloween for all of America, but we out smarted him by moving it a night earlier. ?

My grandfather was from Iowa (Storm Lake) and I'd never heard of the night before Halloween being called anything until I was an adult and learned it was a thing elsewhere.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm in western New York and we called it beggars night when I was a kid.  I don't know of any communities that still practice it though.

• Upvote 2

From your definition, the town that I grew up in in Ohio also had Beggar's Night. We always did our trick or treat do you Thursday night closest to Halloween and it was one hour long.

Imagine my horror when I move to a different state and not only was trick or treat always on Halloween but there was no start and end time so I had kids knocking on my door at 9:30 when I was trying to go to bed. (I was in an apartment and had turn the porch light off, but I had people knocking at my door because I had the light on at the opposite side of the house in the bathroom while brushing my teeth.)

• Upvote 4

The quiz gave me cities in Nebraska & Kansas, which is very accurate as I grew up in both. I’ve assimilated as a Texan, but even after living here for almost a decade I still say pop and out myself as a Midwesterner.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Strangely, the two areas I had the strongest correlation to were the area I moved to as an adult (in the South), and the area where my mom grew up (Mid-Atlantic), while the area where I grew up (Midwest) was only a very slight match, not any more than random places across the country. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, WarriorJane said:

I'm in western New York and we called it beggars night when I was a kid.  I don't know of any communities that still practice it though.

The Des Moines Metro does, and anytime someone suggests moving treat or treat to the 31st people lose their shit and start screaming WHY would you take this fun away from the kids?  Whole sentences are just too much for the common man to comprehend anymore. ?

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2020 at 6:37 PM, Alisamer said:

His dad also called the couch/sofa the "settee" (pronounced set-TEE).

I can't imagine anyone in America saying this! So interesting! It's a very common word here in England but definitely working/lower middle class. I would think of it as northern but maybe just because that's my background.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Apparently Without a Crystal Ball has conducted an interview with Derick Dillard via e-mail and is putting the video on youtube (presently).

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic