IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

I would love to see wide sweeping election reform, but the old men in Washington won't allow it to ever happen. I'd like to have a strict limit of time for elections to occur- like no campaigning until 10 months out, or whatever. And then everyone gets the exact same amount of TV time for ads and exact same budgets. No private donors allowed to buy additional ad time or donate to the budgets. It would open the door to more people running on a fair platform. Ideally, it would end the two party system as well.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 5

Unfortunately we are all held hostage to our current system and tho$e  in control. Just using health care as an example, the insurance and big drug companies pour money into candidates/elections in exchange for future, favorable legi$lation. Why the hell do we need INSURANCE COMPANIES, a middle man, non-medically oriented entity, banking health care dollars and deciding who gets needed treatment funded and who does not? It’s insane when you think about.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 11

8 hours ago, purpleprincess said:

Jill Just posted a photo about voting today. Does this mean she has voted in the Democratic primaries? Canadian here so if an American could clarify, do you have to be a registered Democrat in AR to vote in the primaries or is it open to all?

Northwest Arkansan here. Aside from

presidential (which is open primary), we had a lot of county judicial positions on the ballot as well as school board and local tax-related things. 

I believe Jed is unopposed as far as his party running for that spot. 

• Thank You 6
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, purpleprincess said:

Jill Just posted a photo about voting today. Does this mean she has voted in the Democratic primaries? Canadian here so if an American could clarify, do you have to be a registered Democrat in AR to vote in the primaries or is it open to all?

Also NWA here! In Arkansas you don't have to be a registered democrat or registered republican to vote in primaries. (Every state is different on this though)  When you go to the polls (for primaries) they ask you which ballot you want (democrat, republican or independent).  You can select any party you want, but only 1.  So you can vote for a democratic presidential nominee if you select a democratic ballot, but you won't be able to vote for any of the republicans running against Trump and vice versa

In our area there were also some 'non-partisan' positions to vote for- judges and some school levies, taxes etc.  There were also several Republicans running to run for state rep positions.  Whoever wins those, will face off against the democrat and any other 3rd party candidates in the general election in November.  This is a red state, so it's more common to have multiple republicans vying for a spot than it is to have multiple democrats.  All these republicans must be narrowed down to 1 .  There must be no other republican candidates wanting to run for the position Jed wants, so he wont be on the ballot until November.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

10 hours ago, HereticHick said:

According to this, no--the GOP Primary election for the seat Jed is running for was canceled: https://ballotpedia.org/Jed_Duggar

Even if Jed was on the ballot today, Jill couldn't vote for him. She doesn't live in his district. I don't think any of the Duggars, except possibly JD, live in Jed's district.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Even if Jed was on the ballot today, Jill couldn't vote for him. She doesn't live in his district. I don't think any of the Duggars, except possibly JD, live in Jed's district.

What a fail! You have a billion family members but pick the district that only 2 live in. ?‍♀️

• Haha 31

25 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

What a fail! You have a billion family members but pick the district that only 2 live in. ?‍♀️

#duggarfail ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

The reason Jed is running in that district is because it’s currently represented by a Democrat. I don’t think it would have been politically savvy to challenge an incumbent Republican in his family’s home district.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

1 minute ago, JDuggs said:

The reason Jed is running in that district is because it’s currently represented by a Democrat. I don’t think it would have been politically savvy to challenge an incumbent Republican in his family’s home district.

And a democrat woman no less. Whom Jed will defeat with, as a poster on his thread said, the mighty combination of penis, gun and bible.

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 6
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

On 3/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, FluffySnowball said:

True, it seems so. However, Jill appears to have needed some time to adjust to the demands of parenthood (no judgement there!) and I could imagine Sam’s just a normal lively little guy who’s portrayed as a bit of a wild child. I don’t think he’s unusually tough to parent. 

I hope so! Derick is very open to the idea of continuing his education and I bet in 10 years time, we’ll have witnessed Jill do something in terms of learning herself. Maybe it’ll be community college, maybe she’ll work towards being a real nurse or midwife (though I’m not sure if this ship has sailed after her own unsuccessful natural births). I’m starting to feel reasonably hopeful for her. And by reasonable, I mean that I still expect her to remain a pro-gun, anti-choice conservative. But her own life and that of her children might look much better and more independent than the one she was raised to lead. 

I think the characterisation of children is pretty different, depending on who you ask. My youngest nephew is often portrayed as „difficult/stubborn“ - and I get that he was a massive awakening after his older brother. But the older one was just extremely easy. But that changes your perspective a lot obviously. I think he is a sweet, normal, lively, tiny bit strong willed little chap and while I absolutely acknowledge that parenting him his hard work I refuse to support the narrative. That doesn’t mean I publicly disagree with his parents, but I don’t use the same adjectives when talking about him, try to balance it out because most traits can have a bad and a good side to them and assure them that I am not at all shocked when he has a meltdown (he is four- isn’t that part of his job right now anyway??) or that he still has a hard time to be fully potty trained. 

Maybe Jill cannot bring herself to parent her boys as rigid as she was and did per her parents request. Maybe her boys have way more energy than the „norm-Duggar“. And your point is pretty valid- maybe she needed more time to become confident and comfortable in her role as mother. That can happen even to people that always wanted to be a mum. It’s definitely true for me. I still feel pretty helpless and not completely grounded in my role and my daughter is 1,5 years.

While I applaud their decision, I think the only cult they left is the cult of JB and hopefully Gothardism. But that’s probably as far as they go. Dating for the boys will be less rigid because they are boys but that’s about it. And while they might be friendly with people outside their own bubble (not binary, not heterosexual, not white, not evangelical Christians) they will probably go on and vote Trump and his successors. They will never realise the massive cognitive dissonance. We also might see a change when they do get a girl at one point. Right now it’s easy to avoid certain topics because of their double standards.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I think the characterisation of children is pretty different, depending on who you ask. My youngest nephew is often portrayed as „difficult/stubborn“ - and I get that he was a massive awakening after his older brother. But the older one was just extremely easy. But that changes your perspective a lot obviously. I think he is a sweet, normal, lively, tiny bit strong willed little chap and while I absolutely acknowledge that parenting him his hard work I refuse to support the narrative. That doesn’t mean I publicly disagree with his parents, but I don’t use the same adjectives when talking about him, try to balance it out because most traits can have a bad and a good side to them and assure them that I am not at all shocked when he has a meltdown (he is four- isn’t that part of his job right now anyway??) or that he still has a hard time to be fully potty trained. 

Good for you!  I was what most called a "difficult" child....but to my mom I was a lively girl who knew her own mind.  

Both meant the same thing - and she tried to address it and get me to conform to behavior found in easier kids....but the framing of it really did make a difference.  

• Upvote 5

Just like how I refuse to call little girls bossy - wouldn't use that term for a little boy who displays leadership skills. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

Maybe Jill cannot bring herself to parent her boys as rigid as she was and did per her parents request.

I had not thought about this. Jill reared several children but she did so under her parents' rules and authority... she didn't get to develop her own style. So even with all her previous sister-mom experience, raising her own two children with her and Derick's values (hopefully ALL the values are not Derick's) is a completely different experience. Also she has no immediate back-up because Derick is likely not at home or available most hours of most days. I'm not convinced that she is as overwhelmed as many people here seem to believe she is. She wants to be relatable and she wants clicks, therefore she puts a little drama in her posts. Can you relate? ?

• I Agree 5

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Good for you!  I was what most called a "difficult" child....but to my mom I was a lively girl who knew her own mind.  

Both meant the same thing - and she tried to address it and get me to conform to behavior found in easier kids....but the framing of it really did make a difference.  

I was called a "difficult" child by everyone, especially my parents. My parents are the stereotypical boomer conservatives who never questioned authority, conform to what society says is "normal", don't make waves and follow the status quo. I guess most conservatives are like this, but my parents ARE boomers, so that is why I phrased it like that.  I was always a why this or why that, I need(ed) reasons for what I was doing/learning, and NEVER took "because that is the way it has always been" for an answer. It drove my parents, teachers and even a few bosses crazy. 

My parents were/are appearances are everything, have money, things, titles crap like that, you have to have money and tittles to be happy, Things I've long since stopped caring about.  I still drive my father & step mother crazy, they are still very much like this, my mother has lightened up a bit over the years as she's remembered her humble upbringing in a family of 8 with a blue collar father & SAHM. She's realized that I'm NOT purposefully difficult I just see the world different from her, and that isn't a slight on her.   

TL;DR, The framing of it would have made all the difference in the world to me. Instead of feeling like an outsider/bad kid in my family, I would have felt, that it was OK to be different.  I'm almost 50 years old and it has only been the last 20 years or so, since I've had my own kids that I've realized there isn't anything wrong with me or my way of thinking.  There is/was something wrong with my parents and their inability to see beyond their narrow view of life for the sake & well being of their kids. 

• Love 9

On 2/27/2020 at 10:22 AM, EmmyJay said:

I got curious and googled the exemption in my state (Colorado). If you have a medical reason, get a dr's note and your fine. If you're just an anti vaxer, than you must get a new exemption every year, on top of every time a vaccination cycle goes around. They make it as onerous as possible.

And from what I understood when I was back home in Colorado this last year between living in SE Utah and now Hawai'i,was that they were going to try to make it harder for anti vaxxers to get the okay to allow their kids in public schools.

Mind you in Colorado all the anti vaxxers (white mommy blogger types that are found on both the far right Christian extreme and on the liberal woo extreme) send their kids to charter schools instead of regular old public schools these days. When I taught in Eagle County where I had attended grade school in the 90s before finishing high school in Denver and Aurora, the kids in public elementary school were all vaccinated and almost all low income Latino. It's a half working class Latino half upper 0middle class white district and when I was in school outside some variation by neighborhood the schools reflected the demographics. Now the vast majority of white kids, who happen to be the children of the anti vaxxers are all in the new, constantly opening, charter schools. It's a rampant trend state wide and in my opinion legalized segregation, fitting since Colorado has the first non southern school district federally desegregated by the SCOTUS.

A little off topic  exactly from anti vaxxing in public schools but still a huge overlap.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, zee_four said:

And from what I understood when I was back home in Colorado this last year between living in SE Utah and now Hawai'i,was that they were going to try to make it harder for anti vaxxers to get the okay to allow their kids in public schools.

Mind you in Colorado all the anti vaxxers (white mommy blogger types that are found on both the far right Christian extreme and on the liberal woo extreme) send their kids to charter schools instead of regular old public schools these days. When I taught in Eagle County where I had attended grade school in the 90s before finishing high school in Denver and Aurora, the kids in public elementary school were all vaccinated and almost all low income Latino. It's a half working class Latino half upper 0middle class white district and when I was in school outside some variation by neighborhood the schools reflected the demographics. Now the vast majority of white kids, who happen to be the children of the anti vaxxers are all in the new, constantly opening, charter schools. It's a rampant trend state wide and in my opinion legalized segregation, fitting since Colorado has the first non southern school district federally desegregated by the SCOTUS.

A little off topic  exactly from anti vaxxing in public schools but still a huge overlap.

I'm in the metro area close to Denver, and I haven't seen many charter schools, just the public ones like what I went through myself. I do remember every year for school multiple kids came in with a rainbow of bandaids because they did not fuck around with the vaccines, and I graduated in '11. God it's difficult to think how much traction the antivaxers have gained in that period of time.

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2020 at 1:46 PM, JDuggs said:

Not sure what you mean here: they didn’t have to show any work, just an answer, or show some unorthodox method to get the correct answer?

My husband teaches college statistics and when I see what he’s grading, work is always shown.

I used to teach middle school math. For some kids, it was very difficult to show their work because it was “all in their heads.” I tried to get them to articulate what their steps were to solving a problem and then try to help them get in on paper in math terms. I would tell them that they might never need to use algebra in real life, but they might have to explain a complex process to someone. We were solving math problems to learn how to communicate. I loved seeing the variety of ways kids’ brains worked.

Also, every kid eventually gets an answer wrong. If there’s no work shown, the teacher has no clue what part the student misunderstood. And cheating. A lot of kids cheat.

I actually had a college math class where I didnt have to show work- I struggled and barely got a b- in the class. In my intro and advanced statistic courses, I had to show ALL of my work on the computational exams (we also had conceptual exams which were fun). It was really nice because stats problems are LONG. a 2.5 hour final exam only had 4 questions. If you make a mistake on a question like that, its imperative that your professor can see exactly where you made the mistake. this way, you learn exactly what to change AND you only lose a couple of points for that one mistake rather than being penalized for the final answer being off. 

• Upvote 4

I noticed someone in her comments on instagram going off about how they don't vote because Jesus didn't choose sides etc, and Jill just went... well nope I don't agree, I choose whom I see best fit etc etc. She did clarify that to her Jesus is still the upmost authority, but damn I'm glad to see that she isn't into that bullshit and openly responded to that. Then again, the Duggar house always been pro-politics and pro-voting, despite the voting choices being... hyeuck ick ooof. I just freaking hate Christians that go JeSuS iS oUR BiGgEsT AUtHoRoTy He WoULd Not hAvE PiCkeD SidEs err urhg durb dumb

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2

That is a new breed of "christian",  every fundy, fundy lite. conservative christian & evangelical christian I know are militant voters. They vote in EVERY election like they are entering a sweepstakes to meet God herself. They vote in school board election, local city election, primary elections, off year election, dog catcher elections, EVERY SINGLE election there is.  They preach voting in every church I've ever been in, catholic, evangelical, fundy lite E-Free, Baptist.

For republicans voting is as important as their religion, and for many it IS their religion.  

• Upvote 12

7 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

That is a new breed of "christian",  every fundy, fundy lite. conservative christian & evangelical christian I know are militant voters. They vote in EVERY election like they are entering a sweepstakes to meet God herself. They vote in school board election, local city election, primary elections, off year election, dog catcher elections, EVERY SINGLE election there is.  They preach voting in every church I've ever been in, catholic, evangelical, fundy lite E-Free, Baptist.

For republicans voting is as important as their religion, and for many it IS their religion.  

These folks would love the US to be a theocracy. The only thing is each sect thinks that there’s would be chosen group to be large and in charge. Oh to be a fly on the wall to see the Gothard followers living in a US ruled by the Catholics or Catholics living under the rule of Baptists or Mormons. You want to see intolerance? 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

52 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall to see the Gothard followers living in a US ruled by the Catholics or Catholics living under the rule of Baptists or Mormons. You want to see intolerance? 

Catholics would win because we'd make every election, like every wedding, open bar.

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Catholics would win because we'd make every election, like every wedding, open bar.

OMG, could you just see the teetotalers? And then there’s Mary, the Pope and all those Saints! Bring on the vapors.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

OMG, could you just see the teetotalers? And then there’s Mary, the Pope and all those Saints! Bring on the vapors.

The evangelicals would be so conflicted, the ebil liquors vs the godly voting.  :pearlclutching: :fainting: 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Huh, I thought it was perhaps a bit more common than it actually is!

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic