IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

53 minutes ago, The Mother Dust said:

Yes, I will also be curious to see if he spills any "true tea" or if it's just going to be surface level stuff.  Like things that are critical, but not too bad, for example like saying someone in the family is a neat freak.  Stuff like that, which can take up page space for a book, (cash-grab) and he can claim technically as a "reveal" but which he knows aren't bad enough to affect family relationships for Jill's sake (and any money, inheritance, etc, he could expect from those relationships down the road.) 

Wouldn't it be amazing if he DID go ham though?  Like a REAL juicy tell-all.  How shocked we would all be, haha.

It would be fascinating but while Jill still has a relationship with her family I doubt it will happen. Lots of ire about TLC and liberal elites maybe a bit of snark about JB. Of course if TLC offered him a show he’d be right back there. If he wanted privacy for his family he wouldn’t be teasing about a tell all. 

• Upvote 3

He could write an entire book based on scandalous bits that are already well known, and the telling inspirational story about how he is rescuing Jill.

• Upvote 2

Jill's IG story is almost kind of cute. Her & the boys were on a TP hunt, she said they were almost out, so she asked the boys if they would find some at Sam's Club she asked the boys if they would find some, Izzy says no and Sam says yes.  They did finally find some at Wal Mart, AND she only got two packs, not sure if they had a limit or she choose to not be a dick and buy every roll they have there.  She said Derrick spent 2 hours looking for some the night before. I was with her until she said the boys didn't know how to behave in Wal Mart, OH Jill, so close. ? ?

• Upvote 16

To be fair, as another mother of two young boys, it's not my super favorite to take them in the store by myself either. I've been that mom with the yelly kids hanging out of a cart a couple of times. Mine are usually bugging each other and the little one is crying while my big is yelling "calm down!" I'm still working on accepting that no one is worrying about it as much as my embarrassment wants me to think. 

On another note, I went to Aldi and sat outside until right when they opened on Saturday morning (I did NOT line up at the door with the others who had the same idea). Found a big pack of TP (like Jill, we actually just needed some) that first stop. I think I hit some sort of pandemic fright lottery. It was pasta sauce and oddly enough, canned mandarin oranges that I ended up having to go somewhere else for, everything else I was able to find at that first stop. 

• Upvote 14

14 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Jill's IG story is almost kind of cute. Her & the boys were on a TP hunt, she said they were almost out, so she asked the boys if they would find some at Sam's Club she asked the boys if they would find some, Izzy says no and Sam says yes.  They did finally find some at Wal Mart, AND she only got two packs, not sure if they had a limit or she choose to not be a dick and buy every roll they have there.  She said Derrick spent 2 hours looking for some the night before. I was with her until she said the boys didn't know how to behave in Wal Mart, OH Jill, so close. ? ?

I don’t know, I can’t see her parents ever admitting their kids didn’t know how to behave in public.  And as a mom who had 3 kids in 4.5 years, I also had many times I dreaded taking them out into a store and tried to avoid it at all costs.

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, sableduck said:

I don’t know, I can’t see her parents ever admitting their kids didn’t know how to behave in public.  And as a mom who had 3 kids in 4.5 years, I also had many times I dreaded taking them out into a store and tried to avoid it at all costs.

I have forgotten, my kids are 22 & 20 so it has been a few years for me, but I also was thinking Israel & Samuel were a year older than they are, that makes a big difference in behavior.  Yeah, an almost 5 yr old and a 2 yr old don't really know, especially if their parents avoid taking them into these situations.

Thinking back on it, shopping with my little ones was a nightmare, that I did as infrequently as possible. I recall my 2 1/2 yr old being a runner. This was before they had those carts that you could put more than one child in so DD was usually in her car seat hooked on to the top of the cart (we all did this back in the late 90's and early 2000, because the way the infant carriers were made you could almost hook them to the cart completely)  meaning DS had to walk, or in his case run. This is where I got the big time dirty looks from some women and big knowing smiles from others when I had him on a leash.  I would Velcro it to a belt look on the back of his pants and then had the other end on one of my belt loops. 

Once they were a bit older I'd suck it up and go grocery shopping on the weekends, when DH was home so HE could have one one two daddy time. Every SAHM (or dad) needs to do this with their partner, leave the children with them at least one day a week ALL DAY long. In my case my DH learned fast what I did all day and to stop asking what I did all day if the house was a disaster, because he KNEW what I did all day. 

I don't want to start yet another this is good/bad parenting ala formula vs breast. These things were done 18+ years ago, so please remember, things change over time. 

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, lizzybee said:

To be fair, as another mother of two young boys, it's not my super favorite to take them in the store by myself either. I've been that mom with the yelly kids hanging out of a cart a couple of times. Mine are usually bugging each other and the little one is crying while my big is yelling "calm down!" I'm still working on accepting that no one is worrying about it as much as my embarrassment wants me to think. 

On another note, I went to Aldi and sat outside until right when they opened on Saturday morning (I did NOT line up at the door with the others who had the same idea). Found a big pack of TP (like Jill, we actually just needed some) that first stop. I think I hit some sort of pandemic fright lottery. It was pasta sauce and oddly enough, canned mandarin oranges that I ended up having to go somewhere else for, everything else I was able to find at that first stop. 

I loved the time spent raising my son, but I DO NOT MISS the shopping excursions when he was a little guy.  Most of the time, he was fine but I shall never forget a trip to Target when he was around 3 years old.  He went into full toddler melt down and I left my shopping cart in the middle of an aisle, picked him up (kicking and screaming his head off) and carried him out of the store and to the car.  Once there, he wouldn't let me fasten his child seat, so he sat in the back seat crying and hollering and I sat in the driver seat wondering if someone was going to call the cops on us.  He finally calmed down enough to get buckled in and we went home.  I am glad that I had already made such a plan if he had a melt down (just get the hell out and forget about shopping for the day).  And it must have made enough of an impression on him that we never went through that extreme again.   There were plenty of times he was running up and down the aisle, or someone would say "my mother would have spanked me if I did that" (well, sorry stranger but I choose not to hit my child, thank you all the same), or fussing because he wanted some candy or something. 

If I see a parent in the store with fussy kids and they are clearly just trying to hold it together, I try to catch their eye and give them a sympathetic smile.  If they are right behind me in line, I always ask if they'd like to go ahead of me.  

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

On 3/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, Seculardaisy said:

Party affiliation is not public record in Michigan and we do not register Democrat or Republican here.

Michigan Absentee Voter: We do for the primaries. In the Primaries you will get whichever ballot. But in the general it's just one ballot.

I registered in the last presidential primary as a Republican so I could steal a vote away from Trainwreck. Didn't work. Back to my regular sanity

Edited by Meggo
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Michigan Absentee Voter: We do for the primaries. In the Primaries you will get whichever ballot. But in the general it's just one ballot.

I registered in the last presidential primary as a Republican so I could steal a vote away from Trainwreck. Didn't work. Back to my regular sanity

It is always one ballot for the general elections country wide.  The primaries are run by the political parties to choose the candidate to represent that party.  Even in states where you do not register a party, you request the ballot of one party or another.

10 hours ago, Meggo said:

Oregon and Washington vote entirely by mail. It's such a great system. We fill out the ballot, and either drop it off at a designated location or mail it on. It also means there is a paper trail. 

• Upvote 11

Thanks for all the clarification on the primary election voting. I was really wondering how the heck the US understands democracy.

• Upvote 1

My sister (2 yrs older) and I were monsters, did my parents take us to the shops at the same time. I think it ended around when I turned 6 or 7, at the point where both of us, and in the end mostly me, started to comprehend the concept of how fucking awful and embarrassing this is for me and everyone else involved. We weren't allowed to be on the shopping trolley from 3 yrs onward, so it was both us fighting and us kinda running away to the toys or sweets section.

Btw, is it true that in some southern states people call shopping trolleys/carts baskets?? It's the same sort of surreal as calling all fizzies/sodas Coke.

• Upvote 1

My kids used to sometimes fight terribly at the supermarket. Mostly, my son misbehaved.  Even when they were lower primary school age.  Quite a few times I gave in, abandoned the trolley and left the shop.  Then I decided that I was leaving work for the staff to reshelve the items, “rewarding” the kids by leaving, and then I had to go back and do the shop again at night after DS came home. 

Enough, I thought. Each time he misbehaved /they argued after that I would start singing “The hills are alive with the sound of music” and keep on pushing that trolley. They were so embarrassed that they’d stop misbehaving. After doing this a couple of times, the mere threat or the first line was enough. 

I didn’t have many parenting wins, but I’ll take that as a victory. 

Those if you who know me know that I failed the kindergarten choir audition, so it wasn’t a good sound ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 24
  • Love 10

15 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

Btw, is it true that in some southern states people call shopping trolleys/carts baskets?? It's the same sort of surreal as calling all fizzies/sodas Coke.

In Georgia we call them buggies. A basket would be the ones you carry. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

51 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

In Georgia we call them buggies. A basket would be the ones you carry. 

I've just heard some people, who are southern, refer to them as baskets! Buggies make sense at least.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Karma said:

My kids used to sometimes fight terribly at the supermarket. Mostly, my son misbehaved.  Even when they were lower primary school age.  Quite a few times I gave in, abandoned the trolley and left the shop.  Then I decided that I was leaving work for the staff to reshelve the items, “rewarding” the kids by leaving, and then I had to go back and do the shop again at night after DS came home. 

Enough, I thought. Each time he misbehaved /they argued after that I would start singing “The hills are alive with the sound of music” and keep on pushing that trolley. They were so embarrassed that they’d stop misbehaving. After doing this a couple of times, the mere threat or the first line was enough. 

Those if you who know me know that I failed the kindergarten choir audition, so it wasn’t a good sound ?

One of my best friend's mother used to do this. She went as far as to act out a kicking screaming tantrum when her children did that.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, finnlassie said:

As a member of a family of all New Englanders born and bred, I can tell you that my grandmother always referred to shopping carts as "baskets" so it may not be just a Southern thing.  There was even a locally made soda that had the slogan "Put some Nemasket in your basket".   

Regional names for different items have always intrigued me.  

• Upvote 6

We called it a basket growing up in OR.

I heard “buggy” for the first time in TN. Also learned that you “mash” keys, drink “coke” vs. the “pop” I grew up with. And that BBQ is something you eat - with very strong opinions- not a tool you use or something you do...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Alabama here to set the record straight:

Buggy =  a shopping cart with wheels that you push around

Mash keys = to press down on buttons (ex. pressing a button on your phone)

Coke = carbonated beverage

BBQ = an actual meat you eat

Cooking out = cooking outdoors on a grill; usually hamburgers and hotdogs.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

Wow, what a time to sleep on the Duggar threads!

Since corona is keeping me in, I started watching Jill and Derrick's wedding episode. Just wow. Jill was drenched in the fundie Kool aid back then. Jim Bob won't shut up about how she'll have so many kids for their big mansion starter home, and Jill looks at the camera and says that they'll have as many kids as God gives them and won't do anything to prevent it. 

It's kind of amazing to see how far Jill has come since then. I thought she was the biggest hardcore believer when I first watched her wedding. Now she has only two children in six years and is sending her son off to public school. 

• Upvote 29

12 hours ago, Karma said:

The last time one of mine had a tantrum in the grocery store (which was decades ago), I stood by him and told him what he was doing wrong.  "If you are going to have a tantrum, you need to kick your legs more.  And you need to move your arms.  You're not nearly loud enough.  For goodness sakes -- you can do a better tantrum than that!"  Etc.  He stopped and that was the end of that.  As you say, one of the few parenting wins.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 13
  • Love 6

2 hours ago, Xan said:

The last time one of mine had a tantrum in the grocery store (which was decades ago), I stood by him and told him what he was doing wrong.  "If you are going to have a tantrum, you need to kick your legs more.  And you need to move your arms.  You're not nearly loud enough.  For goodness sakes -- you can do a better tantrum than that!"  Etc.  He stopped and that was the end of that.  As you say, one of the few parenting wins.

I'm going to try that!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, freethemall said:

I'm going to try that!

Yeah I always ask if they can get any louder...it kills it pretty fast.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/17/2020 at 4:30 AM, finnlassie said:

Our local Fred Meyer stores (supermarkets) has a sign on each cart saying “no niños en la canasta,” whereas in English it calls them carts. For some reason that always tickles me, imagining carrying your little ones around in a basket.

Edited by Jasmar
Typo
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Yeah I always ask if they can get any louder...it kills it pretty fast.

I tried it today at home, I think it worked! I was like "kick your feet more! Now fall on the ground and kick your feet!" and he slowly went from crying to fake crying to laughing to ending up cuddling on the floor saying "I love you mommy, I'm happy now "

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • Love 20

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic