IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

@The Mother Dust apparently allegedly according to Without a crystal ball aka katie Joy an interview with Amy King  on the WOACB yt channel was taken down (presumably by Katie Joy in accordance with Amy's wishes..??) because "someone" aka Jim Bob Duggar was threatening a "lawsuit" against Amy King That is all I know.

• Thank You 2

1 minute ago, CaricatureQualities said:

@The Mother Dust apparently allegedly according to Without a crystal ball aka katie Joy an interview with Amy King  on the WOACB yt channel was taken down (presumably by Katie Joy in accordance with Amy's wishes..??) because "someone" aka Jim Bob Duggar was threatening a "lawsuit" against Amy King That is all I know.

If that's true, that JB would do that to his niece....holy crap.  

• I Agree 1

@The Mother Dust Of  course he would do it.  But I said allegedly for reason. We haven't been given any actual info or proof of the lawsuit. Did she sign an nda signing away her whole adolescence becasue she was on her fundie uncles show? or what? I dunno. Was it Jim Bob begging Amy to do whole episodes about Amy's singing career back in the day when 19kac was raking it viewers and $$ or the other way around. Amy being the "different from us" but super special talented exuberant cousin was a touted thing... for many many episodes. She's nicknamed famy for a reason.

I'm not against her. She is the cool cousin.  We all did fucked up things in the 90's

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, The Mother Dust said:

I hope she would take some inspiration from Michaela Bates going to nursing school, maybe when Jill's kids are a little older.

I haven't been following the Amy threads....can someone give me a quick summary on that?  Wow. 

My grandma, born in the 20s in New York State, always called sofas/couches "davenports."  I always found it hilarious for some reason. lol. 

Mine too! Still calls it Davenport and she grew up in Idaho and North Dakota

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

My 77 year-old mom still calls it a davenport and that's what I think of it as also, although I went through a time where I called it a couch just like I went through a time where I called pop soda.

• Upvote 2

There was an episode of Family Guy where they were making a joke about words that older people use. She kept using words like Davenport, credenza, and chifforobe and Brian couldn’t understand what she was talking about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

48 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There was an episode of Family Guy where they were making a joke about words that older people use. She kept using words like Davenport, credenza, and chifforobe and Brian couldn’t understand what she was talking about. 

That episode came to my mind too! 
I’m from north west England & my parents always said settee but we use sofa. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

@The Mother Dust Of  course he would do it.  But I said allegedly for reason. We haven't been given any actual info or proof of the lawsuit. Did she sign an nda signing away her whole adolescence becasue she was on her fundie uncles show? or what? I dunno. Was it Jim Bob begging Amy to do whole episodes about Amy's singing career back in the day when 19kac was raking it viewers and $$ or the other way around. Amy being the "different from us" but super special talented exuberant cousin was a touted thing... for many many episodes. She's nicknamed famy for a reason.

I'm not against her. She is the cool cousin.  We all did fucked up things in the 90's

I always thought it was for “fake Amy”

Ohioan here, and I had family members who used davenport to refer to the sofa.  Also, chiffarobe for a dresser or armoire...as a child, I never was too clear on that one.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I learned what a sideboard was from Mad About You.

1 hour ago, Marty1227 said:

Ohioan here, and I had family members who used davenport to refer to the sofa.  Also, chiffarobe for a dresser or armoire...as a child, I never was too clear on that one.

Armoire is a dresser type thing but it has a cabinet uptop for hanging clothes.  I've always wanted one, but alas my life isn't nearly fancy enough.

• Haha 1
  • Love 3

24 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I learned what a sideboard was from Mad About You.

Armoire is a dresser type thing but it has a cabinet uptop for hanging clothes.  I've always wanted one, but alas my life isn't nearly fancy enough.

I learned what a chifforobe was from reading “To Kill a Mockingbird” in high school. 

My mother in law calls one of her big cabinets a Hoosier but I think she lived in Indiana for awhile. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I learned what a chifforobe was from reading “To Kill a Mockingbird” in high school. 

My mother in law calls one of her big cabinets a Hoosier but I think she lived in Indiana for awhile. 

A Hoosier cabinet stored dry goods plus your kitchen supplies, etc. very handy if you think about it, everything was in one place and ready to use. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

Just now, PennyLane said:

A Hoosier cabinet stored dry goods plus your kitchen supplies, etc. very handy if you think about it, everything was in one place and ready to use. 

I am plagued by a dearth of kitchen storage ...off to google.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Folks, I know woacb rambles on and is repetitive, but near the end, she mentions that Derick couldn’t say everything because it would interfere with their lawsuit.

It sounds like he’s convinced Jill to sue for some lost wages or something.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

18 minutes ago, apandaaries said:

Folks, I know woacb rambles on and is repetitive, but near the end, she mentions that Derick couldn’t say everything because it would interfere with their lawsuit.

I think he's referring to Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Joy's lawsuit against the city for releasing enough information for them to be publicly ID'd as victims.  That hasn't been resolved yet.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I never heard davenport before. Sounds very chic.

It's the brand name. There used to be a difference between "the davenport" and "the sofa" but not so much anymore. My grandmother had a "davenport" but not a sofa or a couch. My other grandmother had one of each. 

That test used to peg me pretty accurately but obviously I've assimilated enough that now I could be from either Rochester or Madison. 

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah, that's the only time I've ever heard the word "chiffarobe" ... my mom had an armoire and I always called it the 'wardrobe' because I had hopes that I would find my way to Narnia if I climbed into it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I think he's referring to Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Joy's lawsuit against the city for releasing enough information for them to be publicly ID'd as victims.  That hasn't been resolved yet.

He’s also made noises about suing TLC - and he loves to create a bit of mystery. For someone who supposedly didn’t like the ‘exploitation of being on the show, he does seem to like attention.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

@HerNameIsBuffy,  Hoosier cabinets are very cool and those who have them are darn lucky!

I think there's a line about "setting on the velveteen settee" in the musical Oklahoma! but I can't track it down right now.  It was said by Ado Annie.  Just because settee was used in the musical doesn't mean that it was a common term for a couch in the state though.  Like @JermajestyDuggar, I also learned the term chifforobe from To Kill a Mockingbird, although from the film.  It was the piece of furniture that MayElla Euell wanted Tom Robinson to bust up for her.  It's been more than 50 years and I don't recall the story with any precision, but my maternal grandfather's second wife (nobody in the family considered her a step-anything) had an old chifforobe that my mom bought.  I think that's what happened anyway.  I know that Vessie had something to do with a chifforobe and I'm pretty sure that it was the piece that my sister had restored after our mom died.  It was stunning after the restoration.  

Some old neighbors of ours that were originally from Iowa called their sofa a davenport.  I figured it was from the Iowa city, but nope, it was from the brand. 

My mother-in-law calls the sofa the divan.

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I am plagued by a dearth of kitchen storage ...off to google.

If you're as strapped for space as I am and have a door with nothing attached to it, check out over the door storage options! I've been organizing while in quarantine and got one and I love it.

IMG_20200317_151758305.jpg

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

That’s a great idea.  My pantry is thinner than a normal door but I’m going to measure if I can find one that fits I’ll order today.  I love how it organizes the side dish packets.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, apandaaries said:

I mean, not only does she ramble on and get repetitive, some of the stuff she said in previous videos isn't true. Like her claim in a past video that it's well known that Jill had a hysterectomy after her second birth. So I would take anything she says with a grain of salt. I haven't watched this video yet, but I'm hoping to get around to it today. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1

Amy's in an odd place, she could probably give a rats fuck what JB thinks, but her mother most likely does and she doesn't want to make her have "choose"  between Amy & JB's family (which I'm guessing she is also fairly close to).  I also wonder how financially dependent they are on boob as well. 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Mine too, born 1925, grew up/lived all her life in the Pacific NW. It’s always been a super old-fashioned term to me, and not in a good way ?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

I mean, not only does she ramble on and get repetitive, some of the stuff she said in previous videos isn't true. Like her claim in a past video that it's well known that Jill had a hysterectomy after her second birth. So I would take anything she says with a grain of salt. I haven't watched this video yet, but I'm hoping to get around to it today. 

Which makes me wonder why on earth Derick would engage with her? She sounds as bad as Pickles,

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic