IGNORED

Popping Them Out Like Pez: Upcoming Babies 16

Bethella

2 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

I always find it interesting when fundie-crunchy and hippie-crunchy cultures overlap.

This happens in anti-vax groups and birthkeeper groups. I always wonder how they all don’t squabble constantly! They must just stick to the topic they all have in common and that’s it.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Someone commented that the baby had quite a bit of vernix for being 5 weeks overdue. lol that’s because that baby wasn’t 45 weeks gestation. Probably closer to 43.

Glad that mother & child seem to be healthy and doing well but there is no way that baby is 45+ weeks. 

Re: Shoshanna's comment that "We had superb midwives with all the equipment." All the equipment except for masks & gloves!

311501712_SabrinaRainsbirth.thumb.jpg.935178d57662db8ffd2b2698e73fc924.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 5

My guess is that her dates were 4 weeks off - somehow she thought she was pregnant but conceived the next cycle.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

For all of the fundy matrons out there in the world having SEVERE miscarriages, or complicated, early-term labor, premies, and closely monitored IGR infants, there's Shoshanna to balance the load with her apocryphal 5th trimester hammock baby.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 15

Giving birth in a hammock. That's a new one for me.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Giving birth in a hammock. That's a new one for me.

At least it wasn’t a pool! 

Although how one actually gives birth in a hammock is a mystery to me. I can’t even get into one without toppling out almost instantaneously. 

Or was it one of those hammock chairs?

Edited by Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

Radford family posted on Instagram stories that they have just decided on her name and will reveal it soon, obviously they will have to tell family first before publicly annoucing it. Chris and Sophie haven't been able to meet her yet, due to restrictions in place on visiting family. 

18 minutes ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

At least it wasn’t a pool! 

Although how one actually gives birth in a hammock is a mystery to me. I can’t even get into one without toppling out almost instantaneously. 

Or was it one of those hammock chairs?

It was a special hammock. It was like two hammocks. One for each thigh. So they are using gravity to bring the baby down. I guess kind of like a birthing stool.

• Thank You 7

Hammock use in childbirth is traditional in Mayan culture although I haven’t looked at Shoshanna’s pictures to see if that’s what she used. 

• Upvote 2

With my middle child, waters breaking 2min prior to baby in arms is probably accurate, but I was in active labour for a couple of hours before that (it was a very quick birth though). It’s just that my waters didn’t break until she was crowning. Not sure why that particular detail needed to be mentioned, she seems to be trying to deliberately mislead people into thinking the whole BIRTH was 2mins which I call bullshit on.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:26 AM, hollyandivy said:

My water broke AFTER my daughter was born! Take that, Shoshanna!

wait, really? As in baby born in amniotic sac? I remember seeing photos somewhere of a birth where that happened. Very cool, but rare!

• Upvote 4

My water must have broken as I was pushing my youngest out. Because I don’t remember it breaking during my extremely short labor. 

Although it is definitely the least harmful of Shoshanna's lies about her mythical pregnancy that she has publicized, of course she made up a meaning for Sabrina that isn't even in the realm of being factual. It's okay to just like a name, even one with an unknown meaning. But that definitely wouldn't fit into her 'too perfect' narrative.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

All that came to my mind was Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

It's definitely one of those names that is laden with popular culture references. The stories about the origin of the name Sabrina started in the 1100s with a story about a princess that drowned in the river as revenge by her father's wife who disowned his wife and his son to instead and that's why the River Severn is called that (Severn is Latinized to Sabrina as early as the 2nd century AD) but that story is almost certainly just a made up legend. The meaning of Severn and Sabrina have been lost to history.

It then had a boost in popularity and usage in England in the 1600s after the poem 'Comus' by John Milton and the play 'The Faithful Shepherdess' written by John Fletcher, of which both refer to that same legend about this princess called Habren. According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, who basically made up a history of the Britons and that is fairly agreed upon by scholars, Habren was apparently the source of the name 'Sabrina'. Habren was the daughter of a Welsh King's mistress and then he left his wife and essentially took all titles from her and his son with her so he could be with the mistress and Habren and legitimized them both and then his first wife drowned Habren and her mother in the river and demanded the river be named for the princess so everyone would always remember her ex-husband's behavior killed his daughter. But considering there is no record from the first recording of the river being called Sabrina and then later Severn from the 2nd century until Monmouth's stories in the 1100s to any of the characters in his legend and many of his 'histories' have been entirely debunked or elaborated and exaggerated beyond recognition, it probably didn't happen. By the time the poem and play were written, it was referred to as the Severn for centuries so those who read the name Sabrina or saw the play with the character of Sabrina as this innocent princess drowned by the orders of her father's abandoned first wife would have made no connection to the river.

Then the US had its 'Sabrina-moment' after Samuel Taylor's play 'Sabrina Fair' in the early 1950s, followed by it being adapted to film with 'Sabrina' only a couple of years after. 'Sabrina' starred Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart and was a hit. The name jumped 500-600 places within a year on the national rankings following the release of that film- it was one of biggest rises in popularity in a short amount of time ever recorded for a name. When you think about the magnitude of that popularity increase as far as number of girl's named Sabrina in the period of the 1950s, when a much larger percentage of births were given the most popular names than today, it's even more staggering.

It had brief jumps again in popularity in the US around the time of the remake of 'Sabrina' in the 1990s and 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch'- these spikes in popularity and then massive declines because of how tied the name is to certain characters and popular culture kind of define the name Sabrina in English speaking countries.

It is used with various spelling variations in Arabic speaking countries or other Semitic languages too. Sabri (and variations) is an male Arabic name meaning "patient". In Hebrew, s-b-l and more commonly used savlanut also means 'patient'.

It's more consistently used in non-English speaking European countries, possibly as a variant of Sabina, which considering Sabrina was the 'Latin form' of an already Latin name like Severn there is a likely connection and the Sabines have influenced names for thousands of years with Sabina still being a very 'international' name and Savina is the Italian form of Sabina, very similar to Sabrina. Or you have names like Severine, Severina, Sewyrina etc, all female versions of Severus, an Ancient Roman name but all of the above have maintained usage among many European languages until today and there is an obvious connection to the River Severn and it's not a significant jump for Severina to become Sabrina, especially when the world was less globalized and regional variations would develop and spread.

Honestly, I find the name Sabrina and the history behind it completely fascinating. It has a well documented long history of usage across multiple parts of the world, it has been very much a name that has gone through distinct brief periods of relative popularity due to literature and film for about 400 years rather than ever becoming a 'classic' do to that connection, it's very international and used across languages- yet no one really knows how or why or where it came from. I think that story is way cooler than Shoshanna's make believe story about the meaning. ?‍♀️

For the umpteenth time on here, I apologize for my geeking out about names. This name nerd is going to bed.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

[mention]Aine [/mention] Please keep going! I love your posts about names! [emoji3]

• I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

Fundies love to assign meaning to names. If they're not choosing ridiculous names (Heistheway, Spurgeon, Triumph Perseverance, et., al. ) they're giving imaginary meaning to names.

Maybe I am just not enlightened, but why does a name have to have a meaning? Can't a name just be liked? Given to honor someone important in the family? Just because mom & dad want to use the name? I do not understand the need for a name to have a meaning. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6

14 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Fundies love to assign meaning to names. If they're not choosing ridiculous names (Heistheway, Spurgeon, Triumph Perseverance, et., al. ) they're giving imaginary meaning to names.

Maybe I am just not enlightened, but why does a name have to have a meaning? Can't a name just be liked? Given to honor someone important in the family? Just because mom & dad want to use the name? I do not understand the need for a name to have a meaning. 

I think we can partly blame the internet for this crap. Before the internet was filled with thousands of baby naming websites, fundies just chose names from the Bible or virtue names that were obvious. Charity means charity. Faith means faith. But now they can find any crappy website to find the meaning of a name they like. And they will cling to that random website’s meaning even if it is completely wrong. It’s their way of virtue signaling. They can’t do anything without tying it to their religion.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Joanna (Klein) Brainard is expecting again, due late June/early July. Her first child, Andrew, was born on 1 March 2019.

Abigail (Klein) Koilpillai's baby is due 29 May 2020.

Edited by Triplet3
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

I better not tell any of those fundies how my sister's waters broke 10 weeks early and she didn't go into labour early, she had a c section two weeks before her due date because the baby also flipped into the breech position after her water broke. She stayed in hospital for a few day's after it broke to see if the baby was coming, then she was sent home and was constantly monitored to check for infection and signs of baby coming. 

Going long overdue and not getting medical care is a huge risk for mother and baby. Glad mother and baby are ok here but why take that risk to begin with. 

• Upvote 6

• Bethella locked and unpinned this topic