IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

Yep. I mentioned this before in another thread...

Wonder if Carlin is chaperoning this one and that’s what her flight is. 
Australia is doing really well with covid but most of our borders are still closed. (Only two states and one territory are open). I’m assuming no borders are closed there. 

774E640E-2581-4E54-B952-B7A96C47BA99.png

Edited by AussieKrissy
Add stuff
  • Upvote 3

Jersey has opened up their beaches for the past two weeks.  Supposedly people are "social distancing" there but the boardwalks have looked extremely crowded based on the local news (I live right outside of Philly). But that would totally make sense for Carlin to tag along 

Also just saw Anna's Comment on guessing where Carlin and co were going: "The Bahamas?!" 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I just cannot imagine traveling for vacation right now. They live in such a different world. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

6 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Jersey has opened up their beaches for the past two weeks.  Supposedly people are "social distancing" there but the boardwalks have looked extremely crowded based on the local news (I live right outside of Philly). But that would totally make sense for Carlin to tag along 

Also just saw Anna's Comment on guessing where Carlin and co were going: "The Bahamas?!" 

Carlin mentioned in her yt channel that she and Evan had a wedding anniversary trip planned, so i dont think she is with Katie. And the rest of the family is in Florida at the moment, so maybe they are relaxing the rules and trusting his family to do the chaperoning this time? they seem less strict, so good for Katie i guess.

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, llucie said:

Carlin mentioned in her yt channel that she and Evan had a wedding anniversary trip planned, so i dont think she is with Katie. And the rest of the family is in Florida at the moment, so maybe they are relaxing the rules and trusting his family to do the chaperoning this time? they seem less strict, so good for Katie i guess.

Carlin and Evan are in Florida with the family. Carlin posted pictures at the beach. 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

10 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Wait, they have already been married a year?! @llucie 

They are! They married may 25 last year. Crazy to think they already have a 4 month old daughter for their 1 year wedding anniversary.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Saw a Bates story on instagram. Alyssa and her family are all dressed up to hear Gil preach a sermon and her brothers are sitting there shirtless, in shorts and looking half awake??

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

45 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Saw a Bates story on instagram. Alyssa and her family are all dressed up to hear Gil preach a sermon and her brothers are sitting there shirtless, in shorts and looking half awake??

I saw that ? also, is that Ellie in pajama PANTS and not a skirt holding a baby in that story? I was kinda surprised to see one of the younger girls in pants even if it is a pajama pants. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I bet you we will NEVER catch a Duggar dude shirtless during a sermon...even it's in the living room??

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

I bet you we will NEVER catch a Duggar dude shirtless during a sermon...even it's in the living room??

Would you want to? ?

• Disgust 3
  • Haha 19

11 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Alyssa needed that Instagram post! 

• I Agree 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:37 PM, VBOY9977 said:

Carlin and Evan are in Florida with the family. Carlin posted pictures at the beach. 

So all the Bates have gone to Florida (and maybe filming?) and Katie is with her beau in New Jersey? Interesting.

• Upvote 2

Katie is alone with Travis at his family house and the rest of the Bates are in Florida with Alyssa...mmm or they are super sure that the engagement is behind the corner or they decide they could trust his family following the rules. I bet in an engagement before summers end and maybe even baby news from Alyssa in a couple of months.

• Upvote 3

She is probably glad to be alone for a change. Plus the Clark family are "approved" fundies, right down to the women wearing skirts only. I wouldn't be surprised if Katie shares a room with one of Travis's sisters. Can't have her seeking down to his room??

• Upvote 7

On 5/30/2020 at 10:31 PM, indianabones said:

Oh look, another fundie brother and sister that pose like a couple...

Swipe to the second graduation photo.

This girl apparently teaches at their family's Christian school yet struggles to use proper grammar, according to some of her other posts. ?

I agree that you can raise your eyebrows because of the context. Their strange ideas of purity and modesty make this a bit weird but apart from that I wouldn’t call that posing with a spouse??? Just like two people that are very close (siblings, close friends...). I am always a bit astonished why hugging or giving a kiss is immediately seen as something that you only share with someone you are romantically involved. My country is certainly not known to be a very physical society (compared to Italy or Spain for example) but even we share hugs and cheek kisses without romantic entanglements. Maybe I read your comment wrong but it sounded as if you think it’s generally weird.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

If they were Italian,  it probably wouldn't be seen as weird. In the context of a culture that hyper regulates all opposite gender contact to forbidding pre-marital kissing, what  fundies do allow us confusing. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I agree that you can raise your eyebrows because of the context. Their strange ideas of purity and modesty make this a bit weird but apart from that I wouldn’t call that posing with a spouse??? Just like two people that are very close (siblings, close friends...). I am always a bit astonished why hugging or giving a kiss is immediately seen as something that you only share with someone you are romantically involved. My country is certainly not known to be a very physical society (compared to Italy or Spain for example) but even we share hugs and cheek kisses without romantic entanglements. Maybe I read your comment wrong but it sounded as if you think it’s generally weird.

Well, it's the physical poses along with the cultural aspect of how a lot of the fundies we follow on here (Allison Bontrager, Sierra Dominguez, Alyssa Bates) make a really big deal about either brothers and sisters "going on dates" or fathers "dating" their daughters. It's become a bigger part of the purity movement. I find it unsettling because there seems to be an emotional incest aspect, and like we've seen from the Duggars and Mortons and Hales, occasionally actual incest.

If they were posting like that without the religious aspects, and if Kay had any photos of herself in physical contact with her actual boyfriend rather than just her brothers and father, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

On 6/4/2020 at 7:39 PM, indianabones said:

Well, it's the physical poses along with the cultural aspect of how a lot of the fundies we follow on here (Allison Bontrager, Sierra Dominguez, Alyssa Bates) make a really big deal about either brothers and sisters "going on dates" or fathers "dating" their daughters. It's become a bigger part of the purity movement. I find it unsettling because there seems to be an emotional incest aspect, and like we've seen from the Duggars and Mortons and Hales, occasionally actual incest.

If they were posting like that without the religious aspects, and if Kay had any photos of herself in physical contact with her actual boyfriend rather than just her brothers and father, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Thanks for clarifying. I did indeed misunderstand you.

• Upvote 3

What gives it the creepy factor is the fact that Travis’s sister is kissing him on the cheek but Katie can’t do that. Siblings “date” each other because they can’t date anyone else. So sad. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 8

I also just find the whole concept of considering marriage with someone who is still living with their parents and completely dependent on their parents a bit weird. I understand that in many cultures people live at home until marriage. But Travis and Katie just seem so young, like kids still being taken on vacation paid for by his parents. These fundy parents are simultaneously infantilizing their kids and pushing them into extremely adult, lifelong decisions.

• Upvote 14

2 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

I also just find the whole concept of considering marriage with someone who is still living with their parents and completely dependent on their parents a bit weird. I understand that in many cultures people live at home until marriage. But Travis and Katie just seem so young, like kids still being taken on vacation paid for by his parents. These fundy parents are simultaneously infantilizing their kids and pushing them into extremely adult, lifelong decisions.

I agree, it is also different when someone still lives at home but makes their own money and is being considered an adult already. I would still not want to marry someone who still lives at home but it depends a lot on how they are being treated by the parents. 

• Upvote 6

I saw a promo clip of Josie asking Travis when he was going to make the relationship "official". Got a little annoyed because I felt she put him on the spot. She must get that from Kelly. Just because she up and got married at 19 does not mean it's the best for her sister. But hey, I can't say I had a house by 20 years old.

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

True. I get people living at home because of high rents. But as soon as you get engaged you should move in together ASAP. Normally I would expect people to live together already before they even get engaged because that is what is the norm here. It’s just what I would assume.  Moving in together after being married is only practiced by VERY conservative couples and they are mostly not from Christian faith (as we have such few conservative Christians). We also tend to have longer engagements but as people live together and have sex and whatnot there is no rush because of that.

Living together changes so much. For many it’s a bigger change and adjustment then getting married. 

People over 25, still living at home definitely get a strange look here. (An Eurostst study showed about 29% live still at home betwern 25-34. In the North it’s just about 19% in the South more into 40-50%). Many move out before. And I would say it is a big difference than living at home even if you earn money and contribute. Dealing with water breaks, land lords, companies (tv, internet, phone, insurance), always being responsible for food , having clean clothes, bill paid and everything else is something to grow into. At home there is always a fall back, Someone to ask for help. 

My experience is that is creates an awkward feeling sometimes if you are doing all this and your partner thinks he is “basically independent” but actually isn’t.  
I think there are studies that women move out earlier and men a bit later. I think the average is 4-5 years earlier. Thinking back I would defend say women get encouraged to move out more. 

• Upvote 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic