IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

When was it made known that they have a no touch courtship? I totally missed that.

I guess we assumed because they are never seen holding hands. They appear to stand close together, but that's it. Maybe they show more affection in private.

• Upvote 4

So, if I'm remembering correctly, the boys have all, in the past, had to have jobs to marry the girls.  Brandon had to finish school.  Evan is still in school but working too.  I don't know if Gil will let them get married before Travis is working. 

• Upvote 8

This is another point of discussion because if they wait for him to finish college and have a job before marrying they could wait at least two years and a half and that is a long time to wait especially in a no-touch courtship and for two young fundie teens, plus they will delay also the baby-making and potentially shorting Katie's quiver of 2 or 3 kids...not an easy assessment to take, plus it could set a precedent for the younger girls 

• Upvote 6

42 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

So, if I'm remembering correctly, the boys have all, in the past, had to have jobs to marry the girls.  Brandon had to finish school.  Evan is still in school but working too.  I don't know if Gil will let them get married before Travis is working. 

I wonder though if Gil realizes how well off Travis’s family is and how it may be advantageous to get one of his daughters into a wealthy, religious family. If he does, I think he could be easily convinced to let Katie get married while Travis is in college since they could argue that his family’s music is a job that can provide for them while he finishes getting his degree. Is his degree in music or religion, do we know?

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

All this talk about no-touch courtship hadme curious and I checked out her insta. They definitely aren’t no-touch, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t incredibly limited in their physical expressions...

Edited by Scoodilypoop
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3

@Scoodilypoopyes they are standing very close in that picture. But what I mean by "no touch" is we have not seen them holding hands. They sit and walk very close and that's it. Their courtship reminds me of Erin & Chad. Maybe they just don't show affection in pictures. I'm willing to bet Travis just isn't too sure how they should display themselves. Then again another FJer mention one of his relatives not being "touchy-feely" with their relationship either. Can't remember who.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

@Scoodilypoopyes they are standing very close in that picture. But what I mean by "no touch" is we have not seen them holding hands. They sit and walk very close and that's it. Their courtship reminds me of Erin & Chad. Maybe they just don't show affection in pictures. I'm willing to bet Travis just isn't too sure how they should display themselves. Then again another FJer mention one of his relatives not being "touchy-feely" with their relationship either. Can't remember who.

I agree, but I think defining “no touch” is tricky. I shared the photo I did because they are using their arms and hands go around/grasp each other. To me, that is different from just standing next to each other with just their bodies incidentally just touching. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Good grief they look like they should be going to prom not in a courtship which in their world means headed for marriage.  So young and so limited in life experiences. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 9

• 3 weeks later...

Both Travis’ brother and sister are in their own courtships and have their own Instagram pages. They both have photos with their significant others that are very similar to Katie and Travis, standing or sitting v close together but no hand holding etc that I’ve seen. Based on this we could assume that it’s the Clark family who have the stricter courtship rules ??‍♀️

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 5

I'm surprised Katie made it to 20 still unmarried, I would have thought that Gil and Kelly would have pushed a little bit more for them to be engaged at this point, maybe they are really waiting for Travis to be a little bit older and more near to finish school before the wedding ?, but two years (I think he still has two years before finish right?) Seems a lot of time in which he could easily change idea or decide to end the courtship, especially since his family seems to be strict about courtship rules 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Alysabeth said:

Both Travis’ brother and sister are in their own courtships and have their own Instagram pages. They both have photos with their significant others that are very similar to Katie and Travis, standing or sitting v close together but no hand holding etc that I’ve seen. Based on this we could assume that it’s the Clark family who have the stricter courtship rules ??‍♀️

I think it was with Josie that Gil whined to Kelly Jo that Josie and Kelton held hands while ice skating. This was presumably an hour or so before the actual courtship proposal. Kelly Jo told him to calm down that they were almost courting anyway. Michaela said in one of the first episodes that she and Brandon would hug, but they were saving holding hands until they were engaged. 

However, you have Carlin who was practically sitting in Evan's lap half the time and Tori who was reaching in Bobby's pockets to search for a ring (yet pulling modest when Taryn took a pic of her against the wall and him leaning toward her with hands on either side of her).  

I think Kelly Jo and Gil talk a big game with the courtship rules, but Kelly Jo is so big on snaring men for her daughters that she is willing to bend the rules. The Clark family seems a bit more invested in them. 

• Upvote 19

2 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

I'm surprised Katie made it to 20 still unmarried, I would have thought that Gil and Kelly would have pushed a little bit more for them to be engaged at this point, maybe they are really waiting for Travis to be a little bit older and more near to finish school before the wedding ?, but two years (I think he still has two years before finish right?) Seems a lot of time in which he could easily change idea or decide to end the courtship, especially since his family seems to be strict about courtship rules 

I wonder if Gil and Kelly are pushing the courtship/engagement but it's Travis who isn't ready.

• Upvote 7

On 10/6/2020 at 9:51 AM, rebeccawriter01 said:

Michaela said in one of the first episodes that she and Brandon would hug, but they were saving holding hands until they were engaged. 

*snip*

Michaela's response about hugging Brandon was my favorite. "I hug all of my friends at church, so I'm gonna hug Brandon because he's my friend too." 

Tori, of course, had the sassiest comeback regarding standards. One of her little sisters told her to "Leave room for the holy spirit!" and Tori immediately quipped, "He's in both of our hearts."

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 26

Didn't Michaela get mad at Tori(?) at an indoor slide/fun house, when Michaela said if she (Michaela) couldn't do whatnot with Brandon (hug him/sit next to him/something else?), then Tori couldn't either?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 10/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, rebeccawriter01 said:

I think it was with Josie that Gil whined to Kelly Jo that Josie and Kelton held hands while ice skating. This was presumably an hour or so before the actual courtship proposal. Kelly Jo told him to calm down that they were almost courting anyway. Michaela said in one of the first episodes that she and Brandon would hug, but they were saving holding hands until they were engaged. 

However, you have Carlin who was practically sitting in Evan's lap half the time and Tori who was reaching in Bobby's pockets to search for a ring (yet pulling modest when Taryn took a pic of her against the wall and him leaning toward her with hands on either side of her).  

I think Kelly Jo and Gil talk a big game with the courtship rules, but Kelly Jo is so big on snaring men for her daughters that she is willing to bend the rules. The Clark family seems a bit more invested in them. 

It was Michael not Josie. On their old blog, before the show, kelly posted pictures of them holding hands while ice skating, before engagement. She said it was something they they decided to do. When the show started they retracted that.

• Upvote 5

On 10/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Lgirlrocks said:

It was Michael not Josie. On their old blog, before the show, kelly posted pictures of them holding hands while ice skating, before engagement. She said it was something they they decided to do. When the show started they retracted that.

Yes, there were pics on Michaela holding hands with Brandon prior to the show. It was clear there was a lot of retracting and editing going on with that first season. It never made sense that Michaela (Gil and Kelly Jo) would be fine with her giving full frontal hugs to Brandon but supposedly wouldn't hold hands with him. She was also afforded more freedom than her sisters in terms of seeing him. 

She apparently flew alone to see him (meeting up with his sisters). She didn't have a chaperone from her own family. When Carlin would visit Evan and his family, Katie was brought along. When Tori would visit Bobby in Florida, Josie was brought along. I guess it goes back to the amount of trust they had that she wouldn't stray from all the IBLP beliefs. Whether for the purposes of the show or whatever, Gil and Kelly Jo have been front and center to a fault with most of the courtships. I'm curious if Katie is allowed to travel to visit Travis with his family chaperoning or if she has to bring someone with her. 

The ice skating thing was on the show with Josie and Kelton too. It was the day that he asked her to court on that covered bridge that he decorated. At one point they skated apart and he fell. The show showed Josie coming over to him and helping him up with him staying on one knee. Gil made a comment about are they supposed to be holding hands and Kelly Jo brushed him off by saying they were about to start courting anyway. 

On 10/9/2020 at 8:53 PM, moreorlessnu said:

Didn't Michaela get mad at Tori(?) at an indoor slide/fun house, when Michaela said if she (Michaela) couldn't do whatnot with Brandon (hug him/sit next to him/something else?), then Tori couldn't either?

Brandon was doing slides and stuff with some of the younger children as Michaela watched. Tori wanted Brandon to go on the large slide (with her?) and grabbed his arm and started pulling. Brandon told Michaela to call off her sister and Michaela told her, "hands off." In a couch talking head interview, Tori said Michaela didn't like anyone touching her boyfriend. 

• Upvote 9

On 10/14/2020 at 7:59 PM, rebeccawriter01 said:

*snip*

Brandon was doing slides and stuff with some of the younger children as Michaela watched. Tori wanted Brandon to go on the large slide (with her?) and grabbed his arm and started pulling. Brandon told Michaela to call off her sister and Michaela told her, "hands off." In a couch talking head interview, Tori said Michaela didn't like anyone touching her boyfriend. 

Good on Michaela! That was suuuuper catty of Tori to even attempt.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Good on Michaela! That was suuuuper catty of Tori to even attempt.

I think her couch interview commentary was that her sisters shouldn’t be able to touch her boyfriend if she can’t, which is perfectly valid.
  • Upvote 12

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else wondering that, with the Duggars now gearing up for another wedding here in a couple months, the Bates are ready to marry off Katie to keep up? We know from the show that Kelly is probably pestering Travis constantly about getting married and now Katie posted the picture in the spoiler a few days ago blatantly asking for a ring. Her post, though I know she’s trying to joke, just really highlights how desperate these girls are to be married and that it doesn’t really matter who with. These girls just all want to be married ASAP because their friends are married and getting specially since they’re fulfilling their life’s purpose. 

Spoiler

91FBCBEC-E084-40B7-811C-583AAC0FCCE2.thumb.png.cbff49a4fe74b5292c304a45e622f2e2.png

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

Jewelry business?

That poor girl was a good student back in the day. Her dream to study a nursing degree was banned  and she is clearly lost in her professional life.

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic