IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

9 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Things may not be over by then. I would be hesitant to be putting down any money for anything at the moment at least for this year.  

That's my worry too. I know it was different problem but its hard not to remember the Spanish flu eased up in the summer only for it to come back in the fall and even worse. I pray this one is different but its still a possibility.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

That's my worry too. I know it was different problem but its hard not to remember the Spanish flu eased up in the summer only for it to come back in the fall and even worse. I pray this one is different but its still a possibility.

Dr. Fauschi (I probably have this spelling wrong) said on a Fb interview with Zuckerberg that even if it did come back it likely wouldn’t be as bad and we wouldn’t have this mass outbreak like we do now because of herd immunity. 

I am parahphrasing but you can watch the interview on Mark Zuckerberg’s FB for an actual doctor’s response to that concern versus my paraphrase of it lol.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

On 3/23/2020 at 1:01 AM, JanasTattooParlor said:

Please don’t say that! October 10th is my wedding date too and I’ve been planning this wedding for three years. I have no idea what I’ll do if they have to postpone it because this is still going on. I have some friends getting married in May who are keeping their date because her family owns the venue and it was gonna be a small wedding anyway, but I’ll be devastated if the wedding I’ve planned for so long gets put on hold due to this.  

Oh hunny. I really hope all will be well xoxo

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

On 3/26/2020 at 2:18 AM, feministxtian said:

My daughter is supposed to be getting married May 9th. 

My May 14th wedding is postponed. But I am in Europe so it might be different.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

On 3/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, JanasTattooParlor said:

Please don’t say that! October 10th is my wedding date too and I’ve been planning this wedding for three years. I have no idea what I’ll do if they have to postpone it because this is still going on. I have some friends getting married in May who are keeping their date because her family owns the venue and it was gonna be a small wedding anyway, but I’ll be devastated if the wedding I’ve planned for so long gets put on hold due to this.  

I hope this pandemic is over with by then, and you get to have your wedding. (On my 15th anniversary!) Three years is a long time to be working on an event! It sounds like you've invested a lot. I am sad for all of you who have been looking forward to such happy days and now have this looming overhead. :hug:

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

• 3 weeks later...

So being so completely unable to see each other during this time, do we think Katie and Travis make it or this is the end? 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

So being so completely unable to see each other during this time, do we think Katie and Travis make it or this is the end? 

They can text and call. It’s not like they can touch much anyway. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 7

On 4/17/2020 at 11:20 AM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

They can text and call. It’s not like they can touch much anyway. 

Exactly. It's not like they hug or kiss or have sex....so those aren't things they're missing out on anyway. They can call, text, facetime, etc. They don't live near each other so I'm sure their visits are already stretched out.

• Upvote 9

It looks like Travis' new song is doing well.  Lawson must be so envious. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 1.04.24 PM.png

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

It looks like Travis' new song is doing well.  Lawson must be so envious. 

Wow, I'm impressed--thats the iTunes download chart for Christian and Gospel songs. They've slipped down to #18 now: http://www.popvortex.com/music/charts/top-christian-gospel-songs.php

But still, they are up there with gospel acts even I, a heathen have heard of (Lauren Daingle, Mercy Me, Michael W. Smith).

You know that Lawson has never had a song do that well on the download charts, or we would have heard all about it!

Edited by HereticHick
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

Travis has a more trendy and younger sound. A Dove Award might be in his future one day. Looks like Katie might be heading north. Don't know why I thought she'd end up with a Tim Tebow type of guy.

• Upvote 7

I just watched the Katie/pizza/sleepover episode and was struck by how immature she seemed, even for a teenager, and she was kind of mean to Travis for someone who is a fundie newly in love, making sarcastic comments, hitting him in the face with an ice cream cone, making fun of him for eating only vanilla when she just said all she eats is chicken nuggets and French fries. 

Also, the gift he gave her was 100% polo Ralph Lauren attire, a sweatshirt with POLO printed in huge letters across the front prominently displayed inside the box, a hat with the logo on the front, and she gave him a look when she opened it and saw the word polo like he had given her exactly what she wanted. It seemed very odd and not very modest for a fundie to be so brand conscious. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

Back in the day the young Bates probably had no clue who Ralph Lauren is. I have not seen that episode but it does sound like Katie is being rude. If Travis was embarrassed, it doesn't sound like he cares about the incident, because they are now in their courtship phase of their relationship. Maybe she was just nervous, after all it's her turn now to show off to the world about how this courtship stuff plays out.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Johannah said:

It seemed very odd and not very modest for a fundie to be so brand conscious

Young Bates are not that kind of fundies. They are alt-right (is that the word?) so they can wear whataver clothes they want, go out on dates, don't care about the people in need, etc and still support that their religion must be the one and only and must be over the law.

The modesty, the frugality, the non touching courtships, the girls forced to look shy... all of that is outdated for many fundies, but are still fundies.

• Upvote 11

8 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Back in the day the young Bates probably had no clue who Ralph Lauren is. I have not seen that episode but it does sound like Katie is being rude. If Travis was embarrassed, it doesn't sound like he cares about the incident, because they are now in their courtship phase of their relationship. Maybe she was just nervous, after all it's her turn now to show off to the world about how this courtship stuff plays out.

It is playing out awkwardly on television, but I hope it is a bit more natural in real life if this is what they both want. 

Kelly Jo's insertion of herself into the situation was one of the things that made it the most awkward. He was giving Katie a gift. Kelly Jo was narrating it (for the sake of the show) and was practically telling her daughter how to feel and react. I was only slightly surprised she didn't tell Katie to say thank you like you would a small child. 

It is the same with all the girls' relationships. Kelly Jo inserts herself into the relationships whether it is trying to convince the guy to propose, taking pics and video with her camera when they have a full camera crew, or showing more emotion for things that are meant for her daughters. This is a woman who literally stepped in front of Tori to admire the wedding dress before her daughter could see it. She turned Bobby's graduation party into a discussion of when he was moving into a camper and when he would proposed. She did the same with what was supposed to be a dinner with Brandon and his parents. She orchestrated the plans for the proposals of both Josie and Carlin. Don't get me started on her lack of respect for her daughters' potentially high risk pregnancies such as Erin's with Carson. Erin was still in the first trimester and all Kelly Jo could think was about telling the rest of the family, potentially risking a more painful situation if Erin had miscarried again. 

I keep thinking of that episode where Brandon was visiting. She and Gil walked with Brandon and Michael for a little bit. Then she announced - as though giving them a new car - that she and Gil would hang back to allow them the opportunity to talk alone. While that was certainly more liberal than the Duggar style of monitoring each message and communication, I couldn't help but compare it to those times my parents took my preteen friends and I to the movies. We were allowed to sit several rows ahead like it was a big privilege. 

It can't be easy for any of these guys to be essentially bullied by her. However, they seem to see it as temporary. Her biggest interference comes prior to the engagement and then in the wedding planning. She loses some of that interfering style after they get married - though it never fully leaves. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6

Yes to all the above. We don't know what the family interactions are truly like without cameras, but Kelly seems to be the immature one in the family and she is basically the "life coach" and role model for her daughters. I even believe she encourages them to act immaturely to make their family appear fun and spontaneous, and it may be for the cameras only, but I doubt it. Michaela appears to be the only daughter so far who does not act immaturely and the only explanation I can come up with is that she was basically the acting mother and accepted her role seriously while Kelly flounced about spouting verses and wisdom booklets and interfering with all living beings within earshot.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

Katie's actions with Travis are totally age-appropriate. That's how you act when you're goofy with someone and dating a teenager. (The mother's presence -- NOT normal of course). 

The problem is that she will be engaged soon (or already is) and married. She doesn't get to be a silly teenager out with her first boyfriend teasing him. This is literally just practice and vetting someone for marriage (inevitable for her at this point). 

It's unsettling to see someone act so flippant and immature knowing that this is one of the few interactions/dates in person she gets with her future HUSBAND. 

If she was a normal teenager on a date, we wouldn't bat an eye, besides our personal judgements on her personality. 

• Upvote 16
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Katie has graduated from cosmetology school. Ice cream is not the only thing to look forward to anymore. Wish her a LONG courtship...but they probably feel no need to wait since  Travis's family is rich. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Katie has graduated from cosmetology school. Ice cream is not the only thing to look forward to anymore. Wish her a LONG courtship...but they probably feel no need to wait since  Travis's family is rich. 

She now needs practice hours to get her license, right? Tennessee reopened salons last week, with these restrictions: https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2020/04/30/tennessee-releases-guidance-salons-reopen-across-most-state/3059769001/

• Upvote 5

The only thing I think that will stop this wedding will be covid. Depending on the states laws she gets married in. I could see Katie if she wanted a small intimate weeding using covid as an excuse to do so. 
But I can’t see Kelly giving up the tv money of a wedding for that. 
In Australia I think we have just gone up to ten people at a wedding.  

• Upvote 1

I can easily see engagement at the start of the summer (like June) and then 3 months later a wedding near September/october follow by a baby announcement around Christmas time/new year. I just don't know what is the law for gathering due to COVID, I seem to remember that the Bates are not under a stay at home order, and they are not social distancing so maybe it will not be a big problem for them. Hopefully, if they will get married around September there will not be any problem anymore for COVID, but who knows with the Toddler in chief this pandemic could still go on in September. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

Hopefully, if they will get married around September there will not be any problem anymore for COVID, but who knows with the Toddler in chief this pandemic could still go on in September

COVID pandemic will.last all 2020 and probably part of 2021. It does not mean that all the areas will be affected the same way and (I hope) not everybody will be under stay at home orders, but the risk of COVID will be there, no matter who is the president.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic