IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

I think they've been courting for months, but waited to announce until he turned 19 (which was a few days ago). 

I wonder if they wanted them to be the same age (Katie is 5mo older) or if they wanted him to just appear more mature, or both. 

• Upvote 11

Married in the first episode next year. Baby announced at the end of next season along with the other pregnancy announcements. The school he attends sounds like Hyles-Anderson East! I'm sure they MUST have married student housing or an approved list of landlords for married couples. Better to marry than to burn remember!

Now, about those 2 marriageable Bates boys? Zach finally got it right. What will it take for Lawson & Nathan?

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Married in the first episode next year. Baby announced at the end of next season along with the other pregnancy announcements. The school he attends sounds like Hyles-Anderson East! I'm sure they MUST have married student housing or an approved list of landlords for married couples. Better to marry than to burn remember!

Now, about those 2 marriageable Bates boys? Zach finally got it right. What will it take for Lawson & Nathan?

Technically it's 4 boys now! Lawson, Nathan, Trace, and Jackson are all over 18. There aren't gonna be anymore girls to marry off for awhile after Katie, I'm wondering if Kelly is starting to worry.

Btw, Duggar Data's predictor has them getting married by the end of the year...

https://duggardata.tumblr.com/post/612326884871651328/katie-travis-are-courting

Here's to hoping her courtship is more like Carlin & Evan's than Josie & Kelton's. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4

I know Josie and Alyssa were both young brides but Katie and Travis are another example of a couple that behave and LOOK too young to wed this year.

Katie behaves (rightfully so) like a teenager on BUB. Her main shticks are giggling and talking about pizza and ice cream. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

Who's next? Addalle? How old is she now? 12? 

Addallee is the oldest after Katie and she turned 14 last month. 

Edited by llg1234
  • Upvote 7

Just now, llg1234 said:

Addalee is the oldest after Katie and she turned 14 last month. 

Logistically I know how but this really brings a point that they had those 3 boys in the middle in the time between Katie and Addee. Wow that's a lot of kids. 

• Upvote 5

On 3/10/2020 at 9:38 PM, mysweetetc said:

I wouldn't wish a broken heart on a young lady, but I'm holding out hope on the slim chance that Katie and Travis don't make it. They are both just way too young.

This was exactly what I said about Trace and Chaney before they eventually split and people down voted. 

Katie and Travis are way too young and way too sheltered to be even considering a lifelong commitment.

Of course I don't want anybody to suffer. But I also don't think encouraging teenagers who have zero life experience and haven't been allowed to form their own views and opinions on the world outside of what their parents have dictated to them to marry asap is right. 

Sure it'll give BuB some nice ratings, but I just wish these people were allowed to go out on their own instead of following the path every one of their sisters has gone down. I'm not even going to say "chosen" because really, what other choice have these girls have? 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

I'm not even going to say "chosen" because really, what other choice have these girls have? 

Well, not a nursing career, unless already established as a Wife and Infertile ?

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Technically it's 4 boys now! Lawson, Nathan, Trace, and Jackson are all over 18. There aren't gonna be anymore girls to marry off for awhile after Katie, I'm wondering if Kelly is starting to worry.

Btw, Duggar Data's predictor has them getting married by the end of the year...

https://duggardata.tumblr.com/post/612326884871651328/katie-travis-are-courting

Here's to hoping her courtship is more like Carlin & Evan's than Josie & Kelton's. 

I clicked on the link--Good grief that kid looks like her brother!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I think they allowed Josie and Alyssa to marry early is because they were both mature. When Alyssa got married she already had an outside job at a flower shop and the Bates weren't on TV on the time so they needed to marry older kids ASAP and so they didn't care about if they had a teenage daughter getting married. But now they are on TV they have to worry about people's comments on their teenagers marrying so young. Josie was already done with school and had an outside job when she got married. What about Katie and Travis? How will Travis support Katie? Will they marry while they still have a lot of school left? Tori only had a semester left after she got married. I think Katie and Travis will end up like Carlin and Evan and just court for a long time. One thing I do like the Bates that they don't mind and even encourage longer courtships depending on the person. If Katie was a Duggar she would be sure getting married by the end of the year. But I think and hope that they wait until next year to marry. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

Alyssa got married she already had an outside job at a flower shop and the Bates weren't on TV on the time so they needed to marry older kids ASAP and so they didn't care about if they had a teenage daughter getting married

Alyssa had not a job. She helped her aunt from time to time, that's all. She was taking some classes in Crown but happily left it to help organize Erin's wedding and then her own wedding.

I think they allowed her to marry young for 2 reasons: they wanted kids out of home as soon as possible and John came from a *good* family. All the girls have married sons of (relatively) well-off families. It's not a chance that any of them had married a Tim Rodrigues. Kelly and Gil either deliberately pushed courtships with Mr.Right or only allowed their daughters to talk to Mr.Rights, so they had not option to court another kind of boy. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

Alyssa and Josie were also the two that shared a room because the Bates compound was too crazy for them. I wouldn't be surprised if those two were relatively greater flight risks, and so a relationship with an approved man was green-lighted to keep them in the fold. Plus their men had jobs. If Gil and Kelly are consistent, BIG if, Katie and Travis would not be allowed to wed until Travis got a job. It doesn't matter if Katie is still in school if her headship can support her. Whatever else you can say about Gil and Kelly, they don't marry their daughters into poverty/famously shitty situations a la the Kellers.

My prediction: they will be engaged during his junior year, and married shortly after his graduation pending employment. Katie is older so maybe she will have a brief stint of outside employment like Josie before having a honeymoon baby and quitting. Rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 15

8 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

Alyssa and Josie were also the two that shared a room because the Bates compound was too crazy for them. I wouldn't be surprised if those two were relatively greater flight risks, and so a relationship with an approved man was green-lighted to keep them in the fold. Plus their men had jobs. If Gil and Kelly are consistent, BIG if, Katie and Travis would not be allowed to wed until Travis got a job. It doesn't matter if Katie is still in school if her headship can support her. Whatever else you can say about Gil and Kelly, they don't marry their daughters into poverty/famously shitty situations a la the Kellers.

My prediction: they will be engaged during his junior year, and married shortly after his graduation pending employment. Katie is older so maybe she will have a brief stint of outside employment like Josie before having a honeymoon baby and quitting. Rinse and repeat.

They would not be marrying her to poverty even if he is not finished with school. His family is rich. Besides Katie is almost done with school since she started at 17 and is a 2 year program.

• Upvote 10

FWIW, from Carvan’s first YouTube video, it doesn’t sound like he’s finished his education as an electrician, he said it’s a five year program and he’s completed two. I don’t think he’s fully employed, rather I think the Boutique was sited as their main source of income. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

Just now, lizzybee said:

FWIW, from Carvan’s first YouTube video, it doesn’t sound like he’s finished his education as an electrician, he said it’s a five year program and he’s completed two. I don’t think he’s fully employed, rather I think the Boutique was sited as their main source of income. 

It's an apprenticeship with an electrical union (I can't remember if it's the IBEW), so he's getting paid a decent wage. Which is ironic, since the Bates (and probably the Stewarts) are constantly voting for politicians that are anti-union. 

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3

He said he was going in Nashville and then successfully transferred to Knoxville. He also said to buy from Bsb so he could eat. I guess he was exaggerating. Thanks for clarifying.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 3/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, llg1234 said:

It's an apprenticeship with an electrical union (I can't remember if it's the IBEW), so he's getting paid a decent wage. Which is ironic, since the Bates (and probably the Stewarts) are constantly voting for politicians that are anti-union. 

And if he makes it through, he can earn a very decent living as an electrician. 

• Upvote 1

Do we know if young Travis is actually pursuing a 4 year degree at his bible college? (as opposed to a 1 year "Christian living" certificate like Crown has, or a 2 year associates degree?)

Is Katie halfway through her cosmetology classes? 

I just tried to check the status of Crown College but the website is down.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Do we know if young Travis is actually pursuing a 4 year degree at his bible college? (as opposed to a 1 year "Christian living" certificate like Crown has, or a 2 year associates degree?)

Is Katie halfway through her cosmetology classes? 

I just tried to check the status of Crown College but the website is down.

I checked their website a few days ago and Crown has moved their classes online for the time being. I believe Katie started cosmetology school around the same time I started college so fall 2018 or spring 2019 so she should be at the halfway or almost done point of her degree. She already has the one year bible certificate that she did during her last year of high school. Travis is still a freshman and I think he's going for a 4 year music degree at his "college". 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, haroldtheyrefundies said:

I checked their website a few days ago and Crown has moved their classes online for the time being. I believe Katie started cosmetology school around the same time I started college so fall 2018 or spring 2019 so she should be at the halfway or almost done point of her degree. She already has the one year bible certificate that she did during her last year of high school. Travis is still a freshman and I think he's going for a 4 year music degree at his "college". 

Thanks. It seems to me that a lot of cosmetology training simply can't be done online, though. And certainly not the practice hours needed for licensing.

So, I'm fascinated by this courtship. Do they parents expect them to, say, court for a full year, perhaps marry at the end of Travis's sophomore year, and then have them move to Jersey (and most likely quickly have a baby) while he completes 2 more years of college?

• Upvote 9

I wonder how long the virus will slow down this relationship. No big proposals possible at the moment and definitely no big wedding. Isn’t the 18 year old Sewald girl meant to be getting married toward the end of the year after her recent proposal?

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I wonder how long the virus will slow down this relationship. No big proposals possible at the moment and definitely no big wedding. Isn’t the 18 year old Sewald girl meant to be getting married toward the end of the year after her recent proposal?

Michelle Seewald's wedding is scheduled for October 10.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Bethella said:

Michelle Seewald's wedding is scheduled for October 10.

Things may not be over by then. I would be hesitant to be putting down any money for anything at the moment at least for this year.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Things may not be over by then. I would be hesitant to be putting down any money for anything at the moment at least for this year.  

Please don’t say that! October 10th is my wedding date too and I’ve been planning this wedding for three years. I have no idea what I’ll do if they have to postpone it because this is still going on. I have some friends getting married in May who are keeping their date because her family owns the venue and it was gonna be a small wedding anyway, but I’ll be devastated if the wedding I’ve planned for so long gets put on hold due to this.  

• Sad 5
  • Love 10

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic