IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

People need to relax about other people's food choices. Much like their sex lives, it's none of your business. Not everyone is interested in/cares about food and plenty of people don't prioritize trying the local cuisine when they visit a new place. There is nothing wrong with that and it does not affect you at all. Also, some people have allergies, sensitivities, sensory issues, aversions, or other serious reasons they might choose to only eat at certain places you deem 'less than'. Eat wherever and whatever you want and stop worrying about what other people are doing.

• Upvote 32
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, Kelsey said:

After much squabbling, we ended up at Shake Shack and they complained the rest of the time that we had to eat there bc they wanted a real restaurant. Never again will I travel with them.

There’s a Shake Shack in DC. Would knowing that have made them happy?While we’re on the subject, I like their burger if I’m in the mood for grease, but I hate their fries. Crinkle-cut fries just say “I put a bag of Ore Ida in the oven and called it a day.”

• Upvote 3

People's perspectives on this are clearly very different.

My additional 2 cents.

Fogo only hit NYC in 2013. They've expanded quite quickly to a total of 29 restaurants at present. I was surprised to discover where our PDX location is found. That's some rapid expansion.

I seriously doubt them giving two shits about product placement with the Bateseses.

Like, maybe they comped the meal because they do that as a general thing, but actively care, why? I guess we'll know if we see the restaurant featured. I think they do ok enough as is.

The mere fact that the restaurant was on their radar kinda impressed me. A more traditional steakhouse a la Ruth's Chris is more what I imagine them doing for a "fancy meal."

ETA:

One of the last Bates episodes I watched was the one where they went to the charming local seafood establishment, despite knowing that most of them were not interested kn trying seafood.

It wasn't a good look.

I'm seriously not defending them. But I went down this rabbit hole and wound up on the Fogo website. So much food. As a vegetarian I could get stuffed. And on yummy stuff. Nice to know if I ever get stuck there on someone else's dime ?

I hope it's legitimately exciting and interesting for these kids.

After some of the embarrassing food related stuff we have seen kidults subjected to onscreen - Iive and let live... Go where you think you will enjoy it.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 9

Full disclosure I haven't seen the picture. I think previously in this thread some people may have said NYC like it is an exotic place to go.  If he is from NJ, which I think someone said he was,  then going to NYC isn't that extravagant of a thing to to do.  I personally would pick a different place to go to like McSorley's Old Ale House. Hmm hitting the historic bars in NYC seems a doable New Year resolution. Oh and I'm a heathen that drinks so there is that too. 

• Upvote 3

I like to try new food and go to new restaurants, especially when I travel. But sometimes a chain, any chain, is a welcome stop. Like when you, the vegetarian, and your equally vegetarian boyfriend just accidently ordered soup with half a cow (I really hope it was cow!) at a chineese restaurant in China because you don’t speak the language and did not know that there are people that will finish of every piece of meat on their plate before they start on the rest of the food making it look very vegetarian. (Very related tip: don’t point to other peoples food when ordering. They might be insane!)

Also when you just want a drink and free wifi. 

• Upvote 3

On 12/11/2019 at 5:20 AM, WiseGirl said:

Full disclosure I haven't seen the picture. I think previously in this thread some people may have said NYC like it is an exotic place to go.  If he is from NJ, which I think someone said he was,  then going to NYC isn't that extravagant of a thing to to do.  I personally would pick a different place to go to like McSorley's Old Ale House. Hmm hitting the historic bars in NYC seems a doable New Year resolution. Oh and I'm a heathen that drinks so there is that too. 

My parents thought Manhattan was the end-all and be-all of life. They never went. I went once. That was enough. It's just not my cup of tea. I live in Vegas, a place many people think is "exotic". All they see is the 4 1/2 miles of Las Vegas Blvd. I'd personally rather carry my ass to Mt. Charleston (absolutely gorgeous and COOL in the summer). The rest of the valley is equally beautiful, we're surrounded by mountains that now have snow on them. That snow will be there until May/June. Seriously, people have wrecked their cars sight-seeing from the middle of the city. Up in North Las Vegas, if you look southeast, you can see the entire strip...it's cool to see...but as a local, you can't pay my ass to go there. 

Different strokes....

• Upvote 6

Travis does live in NJ, and I think this restaurant is exactly what's super common for the people my friends in NYC restaurant work call "the bridge and tunnel crowd."  Expensive, because they want to spend money and have a "nice" dinner in the city, but also not something locals would go to. 

Edited by lumpentheologie
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I am from Los Angeles and we have all kinds of restaurants but What we don’t have is a White Castle and there isn’t one anywhere in California. So, if I went to another state that had a White Castle, I would probably try it out to see what the hype is about. I don’t tend to go to chain restaurants when I am on vacation but I will go to local chain restaurants in another state or country since it will be new to me. Although, I did go to McDonald’s in Hawaii because their menu is different there and I wanted to try it out. Honestly, who cares where they ate. If they enjoyed themselves that’s all that matters. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Johannah said:

I go to in n’ out burger every time I’m in California bc it’s delicious and we can’t get it on the east coast!

Why I'll never move back to the east coast. We were "introduced" in Arizona and OH MY GOD!! They're expanding here in Vegas and there's one right down the street...

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Katie and Travis went to a dinner theatre in Lancaster, PA for New Years, and then posted Instagram photos from his house in Jersey.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mimosa said:

The hashtagging of her name feels very much like trying to cash in on her "fame." It's weird. Why not just tag her?

He is giving me such strong Jeremy vibes. Probably because he is a future pastor wannabe that seems too focused on having a cool social media persona. But ey, at least he brought Katie to broadway to watch Frozen.

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Katie and Travis went to a dinner theatre in Lancaster, PA for New Years, and then posted Instagram photos from his house in Jersey.

What a very casual, not posed, or preplanned at all photo. That frosting, so adventurous, so spontaneous. Wow!

?

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 25

On 1/2/2020 at 6:19 PM, Seculardaisy said:

What a very casual, not posed, or preplanned at all photo. That frosting, so adventurous, so spontaneous. Wow!

?

Just imagine living your life like that. It makes me cringe.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

I mean, my friends and I took a lot of staged photos when we were in high school.  And college.  Okay, all the time.  I wanted to be a professional costumer so I always had stuff for everyone and nobody was stomping on our dreams.

You know, except for the actual paycheck of professional costumers.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

On 1/2/2020 at 3:19 PM, Seculardaisy said:

?

Hahahaha. Isn't it weird to look at frosting and think about how much they decorated each other? Like, let's do our makeup and then ever so carefully place one smudge here like a beauty mark.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2020 at 9:36 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I mean, my friends and I took a lot of staged photos when we were in high school.  And college.  Okay, all the time.  I wanted to be a professional costumer so I always had stuff for everyone and nobody was stomping on our dreams.

You know, except for the actual paycheck of professional costumers.

My friends and I took silly pictures too. But we kept them amongst us! 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My friends and I took silly pictures too. But we kept them amongst us! 

Hate to defend a Bates, but Katie is doing exactly what 90%* of people her age are doing (atheists included): post staged pictures and show what they think is a great way of life.

*probably 90% is an exaggeration, but anyway, it's terribly common.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Hate to defend a Bates, but Katie is doing exactly what 90%* of people her age are doing (atheists included): post staged pictures and show what they think is a great way of life.

I have to disagree. My nephew and all his friends don’t post anything like that. And actually don’t post much at all. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

You’re definitely pretty close with the 90%. I’m mid-20s and almost everyone I know does this. It’s either a staged photo where it’s obviously staged or the ones where they are staged to look like they’re candid when they really aren’t. If it isn’t one of those two, it’s a group photo from an event where everyone is dressed nice. I’m a teacher, and for my high school students it seems to be the same way. People just show the best parts of their life or want to make sure that others know that they are having a fun and exciting life. It’s both fun to see and exhausting. I love seeing all the fun things my friends do since I live hours away from most of them, but I also have read a lot of research on how social media is terrible for mental health. I’d say she’s acting like any other early 20s person is.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

Katie has a insta story promoting Travis singing video, he has a nice voice to my untrained ear, but dam if look young, if I didn't know better I would have said he was 15 at max in that video!! Scary to think that kn a coioke of years or even less he nd Katie could be married 

• Upvote 4

On 12/10/2019 at 6:28 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

There’s a Shake Shack in DC. Would knowing that have made them happy?While we’re on the subject, I like their burger if I’m in the mood for grease, but I hate their fries. Crinkle-cut fries just say “I put a bag of Ore Ida in the oven and called it a day.”

The cheesesauce saves them imo. I crave them every now and again. We don't live far from two now thankfully. They have one in Baltimore as wel and one in PA outside Philly 

• Upvote 2

The Bates family using Katie as some sort of flirty, angelic virgin to sell dresses.

I mean look, maybe I’m reaching a bit but when your whole Family mission is based on raising chaste, modest daughters that won’t tempt and defraud men it’s also very weird to take these weird, white virgin angel photos. This photo from any 20ish year old woman, I would typically say is normal. From them? It’s bizarre AF.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

"As long as you're wearing a skirt and not showing cleavage or shoulders, any form of pouty lips or bedroom eyes are okay." --Kelly, probably

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 24

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic