IGNORED

Katie and Travis: Will It Last?

PurpleCats

@Melissa1977 I know that the COVID will still be a problem for all the 2020, what I was saying was more that I hope the situation, will not be as bad as it is now, but with the reopening that is happening in the U.S., the situation could still be serious in September. I probably wasn't very clear this morning as I was still half asleep. I hope now my thoughts are more understandable.

Here in Italy, the pandemic is at a point in which most people are trying if not to forget (impossible) at least to start again a normal life, or at least as more normal is possible all considered, this could have had a weight in my words. Sorry for the confusion and the long text 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

The only thing I think that will stop this wedding will be covid. Depending on the states laws she gets married in. I could see Katie if she wanted a small intimate weeding using covid as an excuse to do so. 
But I can’t see Kelly giving up the tv money of a wedding for that. 
In Australia I think we have just gone up to ten people at a wedding.  

I saw Bindi Irwin's wedding on TV and due to COVID-19, a large outdoor ceremony at the Australian Zoo African Savannah with over 200 guests became a small, intimate ceremony with only Bindi, her husband Chandler, her brother Bob, her mom Terri and close family friend Wes.  That was all that was allowed.  They got married at the end of March.    

• Upvote 7

On Instagram Travis is showing off the new studio his dad built him in his house. Apparently it's been a longtime dream of his.

Does this mean anything re the supposedly upcoming wedding?

If you know you're getting married in the next few months are you going to have your daddy build you an expensive studio in your childhood home? I suppose there are other family members who will use when he moves out though.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Paperplate said:

On Instagram Travis is showing off the new studio his dad built him in his house. Apparently it's been a longtime dream of his.

If you know you're getting married in the next few months are you going to have your daddy build you an expensive studio in your childhood home? I suppose there are other family members who will use when he moves out though.

Maybe they are planning to live near his parents, so he can go to the studio. Anyway, can he find a job out of his family? 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Maybe they are planning to live near his parents, so he can go to the studio. Anyway, can he find a job out of his family? 

I guess that would make sense. He wrote he always wanted "a studio at his house" not "a studio". That's what got me thinking.

• Upvote 2

Both Josie and Alyssa were married by the age that Katie is. It’s impressive that Josie had graduated and worked for about a year prior to her wedding seeing as she was only just nineteen. I think the difference is that Travis is so much younger than John and Kelton when they married Alyssa and Josie. Travis hasn’t graduated yet and still has many years to go, nor is he qualified in a trade. Unless his family are going to provide for him and Katie I think that a wedding is not going to happen in the near future. Practically speaking (&Gil is very practical about potential sons-in-law being able to provide for his daughters) it doesn’t make sense for Travis and Katie to hope to marry before Travis has graduated and has a job. Here’s hoping!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 9

8 hours ago, Paperplate said:

Travis's recent song on the gospel charts wasn't a solo effort; there are 3 people pictured on the cover of the song. On the family's public Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/theclarkfamilymusic/  you can see there 9 family members singing. So I assume the studio is for the whole family's music endeavours. But yes, I think it is likely that Katie will end up living in Jersey.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Travis's recent song on the gospel charts wasn't a solo effort; there are 3 people pictured on the cover of the song. On the family's public Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/theclarkfamilymusic/  you can see there 9 family members singing. So I assume the studio is for the whole family's music endeavours. But yes, I think it is likely that Katie will end up living in Jersey.

Yeah, sure. Like I said, his family will probably use the studio too, if not now then maybe later.

It just struck me as odd that he didn't caption the pics with "I've always wanted a studio for my family's music at our house so my dad build one for us" but with "I've always wanted a studio at my house so my dad build one for me". That's all.

It's very possible they're not getting married soon anyway, like @Angelface said.

ETA: Has there been any collab between Travis' family and Lawson? I don't think he could keep up with them.

Edited by Paperplate
  • Upvote 3

On 5/14/2020 at 2:50 AM, HeartsAFundie said:

I saw Bindi Irwin's wedding on TV and due to COVID-19, a large outdoor ceremony at the Australian Zoo African Savannah with over 200 guests became a small, intimate ceremony with only Bindi, her husband Chandler, her brother Bob, her mom Terri and close family friend Wes.  That was all that was allowed.  They got married at the end of March.    

No, that's what they would've been allowed a week or two later on the actual day they wanted. They cut guests because they needed to sell that exclusive, and the media were counted in the restrictions. They pulled it forward so they could have the magazine and documentary crews there for the exclusives, and they literally did it within the 24 hours before the stricter restrictions came in. They copped a lot of flack for not social distancing properly in photos and rushing through with their plans online.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Angelface said:

Practically speaking (&Gil is very practical about potential sons-in-law being able to provide for his daughters) it doesn’t make sense for Travis and Katie to hope to marry before Travis has graduated and has a job. Here’s hoping!

I agree neither Gil nor Kelly has any qualms about her age, but yeah, Gil is practical about the son-in-law being able to support his daughter. Kelly on the other hand is a complete idiot when it comes to weddings, and also lacks the savvy to understand she should space it out a bit more for the sake of the show. 

My guess is they'll wait a while. At least until the large gathering restrictions are lifted. I don't think Katie wants a small wedding, and in their families even a small intimate wedding is like 80 people. 

Do you guys think Kelly will start leaning heavily on Lawson and Nathan to get married after this? They will be 28 and 27 this summer. Or will her double standards for her sons outweigh her wedding boredom?

• Upvote 13

4 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

No, that's what they would've been allowed a week or two later on the actual day they wanted. They cut guests because they needed to sell that exclusive, and the media were counted in the restrictions. They pulled it forward so they could have the magazine and documentary crews there for the exclusives, and they literally did it within the 24 hours before the stricter restrictions came in. They copped a lot of flack for not social distancing properly in photos and rushing through with their plans online.

Thanks for the update on that, and for clarifying...much appreciated.   And they made it sound like they had to do it so quickly, especially when the helicopters were hovering over the zoo and after claiming the event was leaked to the paparazzi (the date had already been moved up twice due to COVID-19)  they suddenly rushed to marry inside a building instead-even if the guests were cut, they still could have married outdoors like they wanted.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if they marry in the next 6 months. I really don't think they'll wait until Travis is done with school (another 3 years). Maybe Katie will move in with Travis at his parents' house, or they'll build them an apartment over the garage or something. 

One of Travis's female cousins (also in the family singing group) just got married in the last month, and the ceremony had like 6 people because of covid. So it seems that's not out of the realm of possibility for Travis's family at least. I do think Kelly will push for a bigger wedding though, and they'll probably be able to have a bigger one if they do the wedding in TN instead of Jersey. I could see one with 100 people or so later this year since states are opening up without regard to medical facts. The Bates would probably claim children don't count towards the total or something. 

All that said, congrats to Katie for learning a trade that can actually support her and a few kids.  That's a lot better than what most fundie maidens get. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I think that at first, Katie will go to live with Travis and his parents, also because he is studying in Jersey, I don't think he will want to move to Tennessee just to let her stay near her family. After he will have ended the school they could maybe move back near the Bates a little bit as Tori did. 

Now I don't remember how many hours she had to practice to earn the license, but since as I understand there is basically no restriction where they live and the shops are open I wouldn't be surprised if they will get engaged before the end of the summer, as soon as she had almost ended and she had enough time to plan a wedding in 3 months 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Angelface said:

It’s impressive that Josie had graduated and worked for about a year prior to her wedding seeing as she was only just nineteen.

This is always how I’ve felt about my SIL. She got married at 19 to a 23 year old and had been working for a full year at a salon before they got married. My fiancé (her brother) and I thought it was really young and fast because they hadn’t known each other for a full year before they were married, but that was because we were both still in college getting degrees and couldn’t fathom being financially ready for a marriage at that time. Her and her husband both work in trade jobs and were more than financially stable enough to buy a house before they got married, and now after being married three years, they’ve moved into a bigger house and had a kid. Meanwhile, my fiancé just finished a Master’s degree and we won’t be able to afford a house for another couple years. As much as I hate that the Bates don’t let their daughters get degrees in things like science, at least they let them do a trade that will always make them money if they should ever need to support the household. 

• Upvote 9

Its a good trade. I just hope it was what Katie chose and wanted to do. l still remember her saying she wanted to be a nurse a few years back. Then suddenly it was cosmetology. I really hope that was her deciding she didn't to be nurse and not convinced to change her mind.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Its a good trade. I just hope it was what Katie chose and wanted to do. l still remember her saying she wanted to be a nurse a few years back. Then suddenly it was cosmetology. I really hope that was her deciding she didn't to be nurse and not convinced to change her mind.

She still claims she wants to be a nurse but she is going to try this out first. 
I think she was probably talked out of nursing school. Nursing would lead to a lot more freedoms then doing hair and make up. 

• Upvote 11

Since cosmetology is being discusses here, I'll throw this out. 

So far, Alyssa is the only Bates daughter who didn't pursue more education. I wonder if she would have gone to Crown and studied cosmetology if Crown college would have had the cosmetology program when Alyssa graduated from home school high school. I know she was eager to marry and get out, but she really seems to like dressing and looking just so. As I recall, the program was added around the time Josie enrolled in Crown.

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Since cosmetology is being discusses here, I'll throw this out. 

So far, Alyssa is the only Bates daughter who didn't pursue more education. I wonder if she would have gone to Crown and studied cosmetology if Crown college would have had the cosmetology program when Alyssa graduated from home school high school. I know she was eager to marry and get out, but she really seems to like dressing and looking just so. As I recall, the program was added around the time Josie enrolled in Crown.

If I remember correctly, Alyssa did actually attend Clown for one semester. (Don't Gil and Kelly pay for each of their kids' first semester of college?)

She then took a semester off to help plan Erin's wedding and never went back, I think.

I don't know what she studied but probably just Bible stuff?

• Upvote 3

Sorry for bringing poop to the party, but I doubt Katie will be studying to be a nurse. Courting cute, young, northern, Christian dude, who might be a famous singer one day. Plus he lives in a big ass white house! I made a BIG mistake and installed Tik Tok. Accidentally stumbled across several fundie members. Travis happens to be one of them. Zoned thru til day break. I got addicted fast....

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

On 5/16/2020 at 6:42 AM, Paperplate said:

If I remember correctly, Alyssa did actually attend Clown for one semester. (Don't Gil and Kelly pay for each of their kids' first semester of college?)

She then took a semester off to help plan Erin's wedding and never went back, I think.

I don't know what she studied but probably just Bible stuff?

All the students at Crown have to take several Bible and evangelizing courses. That's a large part of the reason for their lack of credible accreditation. Even in their HVAC and cosmetology courses they have to take these. No offense, but this Jewish girl would rather just get her air conditioning working and not have a conversation if I've been saved or not.

I would assume she was enrolled in their program for everyone who doesn't have a major in mind - Christian Life or something. It's the one that Trace got his certificate in and Nathan was apparently studying briefly when the Bringing Up Bates series began.  

I wonder when Gil and Kelly Jo began paying for that first semester (and apparently more now since their comments when Tori, Trace, and Josie graduated about spending so much money on college and Gil thinking that was gift enough). Erin spoke about going to Crown but having scholarship offers from other schools. Lawson spoke about having loaned her money to go. So I just get the feeling that Alyssa might not have been in the group where any financial assistance was offered even for one semester. 

In terms of Katie, my neighbor teaches cosmetology at a technical college. When we were hanging out (pre-COVID-19), I showed her Crown's website and curriculum. She laughed and said she has a hard enough time with her students on hair washing and using the right amount of product. She said, "I can't imagine teaching them how to preach and pray while they are doing the rinse. 'Is this too hot or cold? No, good. Now do you know Jesus?"

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 9

Sorry for bringing poop to the party, but I doubt Katie will be studying to be a nurse. Courting cute, young, northern, Christian dude, who might be a famous singer one day. Plus he lives in a big ass white house! I made a BIG mistake and installed Tik Tok. Accidentally stumbled across several fundie members. Travis happens to be one of them. Zoned thru til day break. I got addicted fast....

I had to look and wow. He just seems SO young. Typical teenager stuff but yikes - not ready for engagement /marriage/children.
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

I thought Katie was talked out of Nursing because the degree would take longer than cosmetology and then should would have to wait longer to get married. But I don't know if that is actually true or of some people here assumed it.

• Upvote 4

Oh look, another fundie brother and sister that pose like a couple...

Swipe to the second graduation photo.

This girl apparently teaches at their family's Christian school yet struggles to use proper grammar, according to some of her other posts. ?

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Rufus Bless 5

Yeah, I mean, I understand a mom or grandma kissing their "little" boy on the cheek as he graduates. However, given the general eew factor of the body language and closeness in age, it's uncomfortable when his sister does it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic