IGNORED

Erin & Chad 5: I’m Thoroughly Defrauded by Chad’s Attire

HerNameIsBuffy

40 minutes ago, TatertotAsserole said:
17 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

Every now and again articles like this one will circulate Christian facebooks and pulpits where people will point out that some of these kind of cliche sayings aren’t biblical. There’s a lot more than just these, but I think they’ve been repeated so many times people just say them because they’ve heard them so much. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.crosswalk.com/faith/spiritual-life/7-christian-sayings-that-aren-t-christian-at-all.html%3famp=1

The first one on the list: 

"1. God will never give you more than you can handle.

Although one of the most quoted phrases, this is actually not in the Bible. The verse that is taken out of context, speaks of temptation specifically, not difficulties in general (1 Corinthians 10:13). God wants us to live a righteous life, so he won’t allow us to be tempted by sin that we cannot control."

Why, then, was "NIKE!!" ever necessary? If this is what they believe, then Josh, Gothard, and others DID control the temptation to molest girls? Maybe they use this to defend the wayward men... "it must not have truly been a sin, because god wouldn't allow them to succumb to that temptation if it were a sin?"

All in all, I'm glad to know the reference, because that particular saying is particularly harmful and wrong.

Sorry @TatertotAsserole for dragging you into this... it was an accident.

7 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Ok. Poor Carson, I was hoping he would have a brother...

Give it 1.5-3 years :P

I do think Holland goes with the pattern - Evelyn, Brooklyn, Hollan(d). I wish the Bateses/Duggars would espouse a bit more on why they chose the names they did. I would not have predicted any of them. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I had a non fiction book as a kid (ok, I still have it) that featured profiles of kids from around the world, about their lives etc. There was a girl from California whose friend was called Holland (the girl herself was Nicole). 

Chloe is nice, but Khloé just makes me think of the Kardashians.

I STILL HAVE THAT BOOK TOO!! It's a DK book "Children just like me." I was obsessed with the holidays one. They actually came out with a new one recently too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

8 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I had a non fiction book as a kid (ok, I still have it) that featured profiles of kids from around the world, about their lives etc. There was a girl from California whose friend was called Holland (the girl herself was Nicole). 

Chloe is nice, but Khloé just makes me think of the Kardashians.

I had this book as well! Was also the first thing I thought about.

I loved that book as a kid, kept on looking into it. Next time I am at my parents I am going to try to find it.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

There were a load of similar ones like Celebration! (about holidays etc) and a specific one about British kids. I bought them super cheaply off Amazon a few months ago (second hand) as they’d only been library books before. It’s so weird to think that all the people in the book will be in their 30s/40s by now...

• Upvote 2

I hope that they will translate the new version to Dutch as well. I would love to get it for my niece in a few years when she can read it herself.

11 hours ago, princessmahina said:

I’m think that, being a place name, it goes with Brooklyn. It seems like they’re half assing a theme with two place names and two regular ones. 

Brooklyn and Holland are the more obvious place names, but the other two are place names as well. 

Carson is a place name. Carson, California. Carson, Illinois. Carson, Iowa. Carson City, Michigan. Carson, Minnesota. Carson City, Nevada. Carson, North Dakota. Carson County, Texas. Carson, Wisconsin. 

If you go with Charles, there are Charles, Providence, Rhode Island. Charles, Devon, England. Charles City, Iowa. Charles City County, Virginia. 

Everly is also a place name. Everly, France. Everly, Iowa. If you include Everleigh, there is an Everleigh in England. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Holland is a weird choice, especially since they'll probably just call her Holly.  It reminded me of Holland Taylor too. And of course the county in the Netherlands.. :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Give it 1.5-3 years :P

I do think Holland goes with the pattern - Evelyn, Brooklyn, Hollan(d). I wish the Bateses/Duggars would espouse a bit more on why they chose the names they did. I would not have predicted any of them. 

I think you mean Everly. ? I sat there for way too long trying to figure out who had a kid named Evelyn lol. It's one of my favorite names for a girl.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Honestly while watching Chad & Erin's insta-stories I can totally see why she keeps getting pregnant. They're both gorgeous. She seems so much more down to earth on there than she does on the show.

• Move Along 1
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 5

25 minutes ago, omgpleasestop said:

Honestly while watching Chad & Erin's insta-stories I can totally see why she keeps getting pregnant. They're both gorgeous. She seems so much more down to earth on there than she does on the show.

She keeps getting pregnant because they don't believe in birth control lmao but yes I'm sure that being attracted to each other like most spouses are is helpful in that department!

I have never been able to pinpoint why but something about Erin has always rubbed me the wrong way. I find several of the Bateses in general to be obnoxious and attention-seeking, but Erin is different. She has a manipulative vibe about her. She definitely seems like her mother's daughter.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 16
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, omgpleasestop said:

My husband and I are an attractive couple. But I'm not getting pregnant all the time because birth control is awesome.

The Bates have an agenda. They are the worst.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Brooklyn and Holland are the more obvious place names, but the other two are place names as well. 

Carson is a place name. Carson, California. Carson, Illinois. Carson, Iowa. Carson City, Michigan. Carson, Minnesota. Carson City, Nevada. Carson, North Dakota. Carson County, Texas. Carson, Wisconsin. 

If you go with Charles, there are Charles, Providence, Rhode Island. Charles, Devon, England. Charles City, Iowa. Charles City County, Virginia. 

Everly is also a place name. Everly, France. Everly, Iowa. If you include Everleigh, there is an Everleigh in England. 

That’s a good point. I don’t think they chose Carson or Everly to be place names though. 

• I Agree 6

The worst geographical baby name concocted by fundie parents is still "Dekalb." Imagine carrying and giving life to your baby and holding it in your arms and being like "I'm going to name you after the county where Waffle House was founded." :P

• Haha 21

25 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

The worst geographical baby name concocted by fundie parents is still "Dekalb." Imagine carrying and giving life to your baby and holding it in your arms and being like "I'm going to name you after the county where Waffle House was founded." :P

I have an unusual name, one that I was incessantly teased about when I was a kid.  Luckily, by high school, most people thought it was cool however it didn't make me forget what I dealt with earlier.  However, back when I was way younger, and my future then unknown, I thought that picking names for my kids if I had them was going to be a fraught decision because I didn't want any of my kids going through what I did.  Location names would have definitely been out.   

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I admit that I would prefer Kaci and Khloe to be spelled Casey and Chloe. But I’m really old fashioned about spellings. I don’t mind “place names” in general. Some might sound bad though. Like Tallahassee. That’s a bit of a mouth full.

Tallahassee reminds me of Zombieland, lol. (The new trailer came out yesterday and I might be way too excited about that).

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, nickelodeon said:

I think they call him Cab! Which isn’t even a correct nick name. It should be Kalb. Which sounds horrid. 

I know a Holly born in December. I also know someone with Noelle as a middle name due to being born in December as well. It seems like a fairly common thing for people to name children based on the time of year. I imagine a lot of Autumns are born in the fall and a lot of Summer’s are born in the summer.

Not all though. Because some people just like those names. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I have never been able to pinpoint why but something about Erin has always rubbed me the wrong way. 

Is it because she treats Chad like a slave? :pb_lol:

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

20 hours ago, Marly said:

I'm Dutch and it's extremely weird to me that someone would call their child the name of my country.  I will say that I'm not very used to place-name names in general, as they are quite uncommon here. But I can't get it out of my head that it's similar to naming your child France or Germany. And that's so incredibly weird to me. But to each their own. I'm much more bothered by their beliefs than the names they've chosen for their children so far ?

Same in Spain, while I've recently heard about some girls named after places, like Viena and Roma. Also, I've met an Africa, an India and a Kenia. I actually like Kenia as a name and her father was from there, so there was a connection and not just a trend.

But countries names used as people names sound weird to me in general. I suppose it's a matter of tradition. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I think you mean Everly. ? I sat there for way too long trying to figure out who had a kid named Evelyn lol. It's one of my favorite names for a girl.

Well then...I retract my previous statement. Holland doesn't, in fact, match as well as I thought it did ?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

I have an unusual name, one that I was incessantly teased about when I was a kid.  Luckily, by high school, most people thought it was cool however it didn't make me forget what I dealt with earlier.  However, back when I was way younger, and my future then unknown, I thought that picking names for my kids if I had them was going to be a fraught decision because I didn't want any of my kids going through what I did.  Location names would have definitely been out.   

I’ve been a bit surprised by how traditional* my husband and I have gone with our picks. I always thought my kids would have more unique or trendy names when I was younger, but apparently time and choice of partner influenced me more than I expected. Both our kids will have first and middle names that are family names. Not the most exciting or cool way of picking, but we’re naming them for people who have been extremely influential and important in our lives - so I’m pretty happy with that method. :) 

*Traditional for a white family of European descent in New England (Northeastern US for our non-American posters.)

• Upvote 6

I've always been puzzled by their choice of the name Brooklyn--since Brooklyn is an urban, liberal melting pot of people from all races, genders, nationalities, religions, and ethnicities--pretty much the opposite of the Bateseseses ideal place.

• Upvote 15

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

I've always been puzzled by their choice of the name Brooklyn--since Brooklyn is an urban, liberal melting pot of people from all races, genders, nationalities, religions, and ethnicities--pretty much the opposite of the Bateseseses ideal place.

A bunch of people recently have named their daughters Brooklyn based on the idea that is a combo of Brooke and Lynn. I automatically think of the city. When a cousin introduced her daughter to me as "Brooklyn," my response was, "why? You have never been to New York and hate the idea of it." I was quickly informed that it wasn't for the place, but as way of naming her a double name as a Southern tradition. She was horrified that I would associate such a place with her innocent daughter. 

I took my urban, liberal butt home and wept. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

One "place" name that we had on our girl list was Savannah. We never picked it but I do love it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic