IGNORED

Erin & Chad 5: I’m Thoroughly Defrauded by Chad’s Attire

HerNameIsBuffy

6 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Is it because she treats Chad like a slave? :pb_lol:

Chad may end up having a male fundie version of Michelle’s laundry room breakdown. Perhaps a tool shed breakdown when Erin appears in the doorway carrying a cake where she announces baby number 5 in homemade icing before tossing him a bucket of legos and telling him to build a cozy 10 bedroom cottage with a 2 story she-shed and a lady cave. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 29
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know a Holly born in December. I also know someone with Noelle as a middle name due to being born in December as well.

My mother always said if she had a daughter born in December, she would have named it Holly Noelle. If it had been me, I wouldn't have minded. I like both names, even though they're a little on the nose for a December/winter baby.

My sister was seriously contemplating naming her daughter Holland, but a sister-in-law who was due a few months before her, used an extremely similar name for her own kid, so it was back to the drawing board for my sister.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

The worst geographical baby name concocted by fundie parents is still "Dekalb." Imagine carrying and giving life to your baby and holding it in your arms and being like "I'm going to name you after the county where Waffle House was founded." :P

And my first thought is the seed company Dekalb. A friend’s dad was a salesman for the company. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

I am pretty unenthusiastic about little Chicago West.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Is it because she treats Chad like a slave? :pb_lol:

I think I'd rather do carpentry than look after 3 small kids every day so I'm not sure who the slave is.

• Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I've always been puzzled by their choice of the name Brooklyn--since Brooklyn is an urban, liberal melting pot of people from all races, genders, nationalities, religions, and ethnicities--pretty much the opposite of the Bateseseses ideal place.

The Bates family also seems to like girl names ending with the -in sound. Examples would be Erin, Carlin, and Josie’s middle name Kellyn which is just Kelly’s name with an n at the end.  I assume that’s why they chose Brooklyn. Not for the place, but for the way it sounds. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, omgpleasestop said:

I think I'd rather do carpentry than look after 3 small kids every day so I'm not sure who the slave is.

True, but I'm referring to all the projects she seems to slap on him the moment he walks in the door. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

and Josie’s middle name Kellyn

Kellyn? Josie Kellyn? Is it a JoKe?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Kellyn? Josie Kellyn? Is it a JoKe?

Nope! Her middle name is Kellyn. It’s good it’s not her first name since it sounds like Kelton. 

• Upvote 1

When they announced with this pic I was super confused because I really thought it was another dress ad for their store.  I was wondering why they'd announce a dress now that they weren't getting until December and I had to look at the second photo before I realized it was a sex/name announcement.  ?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

When they announced with this pic I was super confused because I really thought it was another dress ad for their store.  I was wondering why they'd announce a dress now that they weren't getting until December and I had to look at the second photo before I realized it was a sex/name announcement.  ?

I can’t stop staring at that second photo. It took me forever to find Whit’s second foot and now I’m wondering why her legs are so far to the left side of the dress. What is happening?

The blonder and more relaxed Erin’s hair gets the more she and Katie look strongly alike.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

I can’t stop staring at that second photo. It took me forever to find Whit’s second foot and now I’m wondering why her legs are so far to the left side of the dress. What is happening?

The blonder and more relaxed Erin’s hair gets the more she and Katie look strongly alike.

I didn’t even notice that but now you’ve made me take a closer look. It looks like she’s leaning her hip toward Erin which would mean she’s not standing squarely. And her right foot just looks like it was mid stride so it’s not firmly on the ground where you can see it. That’s the only explanation I can think of! ?

• Upvote 4

Ok, what. Is. Up. With these fundies announcing the full names of their babies before they’re born?!! Is this a thing in anyone else’s circle? In my circle it would seem insane to have a name announcement before the baby is born, and I run in catholic circles so I can’t believe this is just a pro-life thing. Is this a southern thing? An evangelical thing? Or just a weird fundie thing? It just seems so crazy to me to officially “name” a baby before it’s born. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 3

Most of my friends here in the Midwest and back home in Southern California  (run of the mill heathens) announced a full name prior to birth. Many had it written on their cakes at their baby showers. My husband and I kept our baby’s name a secret till she was born, though- we didn’t do some big gender reveal (we were like “ yeah having a girl” if anyone asked) so it was nice to have one surprise between us. But it’s not super odd amongst the people I know. 

• Upvote 4

My circle isn't southern, evangelical, fundie, or pro life, and I know some who announce names before the baby is born, and others who won't say a word about names until the baby is born and officially named.

My first daughter has a name I picked when I was 11 (a very classic name that is partially my sister's name). So when we found out we were having a girl, family and close friends already knew her name and there was no point in keeping it quiet. My husband's grandmother hated it and had no problem telling us that, and I'd just shrug and say "well, that's her name." My second daughter we had a hard time coming up with a name we felt was the right one. We had it narrowed down to 2 names and decided we'd name her when she was born. We told some people the 2 names we were considering, but quickly stopped because then people would try to lobby for whatever name they liked more. 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

Ok, what. Is. Up. With these fundies announcing the full names of their babies before they’re born?!! Is this a thing in anyone else’s circle? In my circle it would seem insane to have a name announcement before the baby is born, and I run in catholic circles so I can’t believe this is just a pro-life thing. Is this a southern thing? An evangelical thing? Or just a weird fundie thing? It just seems so crazy to me to officially “name” a baby before it’s born. 

I’m in the Midwest. I always announce the name during my pregnancy but I have friends and family that do and don’t do the same. I haven’t noticed a specific trend either way. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

I think it's a Bates thing. The Duggars don't do it and can't think of other fundies that do.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Absolutely everybody in my circle announce the sex and the name before the birth. My acquitances aren't religious but I follow a couple catholic fundies in IG and they also announce before the birth. So it may be cultural or trendy, not related to religion.

• Upvote 3

Most people I know announce the sex and first name* before birth; even the parents who don’t want to know the sex will share their picks for boy and girl names.  Only rarely will someone not announce a name, and that’s because they want to curb others’ opinions/complaining, as @Ticklish said above. 

*it may just be regional, but around here middle names in general are not announced and are not used in daily  life. Even among my friends, I don’t know offhand what everyone’s middle name is.  

• Upvote 5

It’s a mix amongst people I know. Some argue over names for 9 months straight while others seem to know the name the minute they find out the sex. Some people announce on social media while others wait until the birth. It just depends on the couple. We didn’t know the sex of our babies but we had names picked out. I was always open about sharing names. But no one knew what we were having until after the baby was born. 

• Upvote 4

I'm in Florida and I've seen a mix. The last two of my friends who had babies both announced full names before the birth. One of them had a boy and girl name picked even before conception- They announced the name same time as they announced the sex.

My husband and I chose not to announce names until after birth. I have to meet our babies face to face before making an official decision. With our first we were 99% sure about her name before she was born but we only told close family and friends. With our second we didn't know her name until after she was born so we couldn't have announced beforehand anyway! We had two names tentatively picked out when I went into labor but I couldn't commit to either one and didn't know why, and when I met her I just knew that neither one was HER name. The name we actually gave her wasn't even on our radar until the day she was born but it fits her so well.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I should've kept the names to myself. Our oldest was going to be Chelsea. We had told the family who told allllll the extended family and friends. Then we go and change our minds at the last minute and my husband's great-grandmother never remembered the new name and always called her Chelsea. ? Then, kid # 2, we were going to call her Hannah. My mom mispronounced it all throughout my pregnancy and it drove me so bonkers we picked a different name for her. (I would've called her Hannah sounds like Hand, my mom called her Hohnnnna sounds like John). Then, kid three, my grandmother had just passed away and we named her after my grandmother, and that pissed off a bunch of other grandmothers and a cousin who thought our daughter's names were too close to each other. I was already weepy and emotional and all the drama did not add anything good to the end of that pregnancy. So if I could go back I wouldn't had said a word. I did learn an important life lesson though- when someone tells me the name of their baby, I just smile and saw "Awwwww! How sweet!" No matter what the name is. 

Edited by fluffernutter
spelling
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 9

On 7/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, Bobology said:

Is there any fundie or quiverfull family anywhere that does NOT have a daughter with the name Grace?

Grace,Hope,Faith and Joy seem to be common middle names for them.

My mother used to criticize my choices in names for my children.

I told her she had already had her children,and I would name my child whatever I wanted to name him.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Connecticut here (small state bordering New York on the Northeastern coast.) It honestly depends to be honest. My sister and I don’t announce names prior to having our kids because we don’t want to deal with unsolicited opinions. Husband and I actually had our daughter’s name picked out for about two years before her birth - we used family names that meant a lot to me - so we technically could have easily shared that time if we wanted to. Husband is having a tough time picking between two boy names this time (again, family names), so even if we wanted to announce it early we wouldn’t be able to. We know a bunch of people who opt to wait as well. 

Other couples or parents I know have had no issue announcing the first names they’ve picked ahead of time, usually around the time they have a Baby Shower with their first child. I don’t think anyone has announced the middle name at the same time, but it’s possible that’s happened and I just don’t remember. And then we know people who kept so quiet about their pregnancies that most people didn’t even know they were pregnant until they announced the birth.

So yeah. It’s mixed for our area and circles as well.  

• Upvote 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic