IGNORED

Erin & Chad 5: I’m Thoroughly Defrauded by Chad’s Attire

HerNameIsBuffy

4 hours ago, Angelface said:

I think that it’s Everly in the shorts and T-shirt. She does look a lot like Alyssa’s girls. 

Yes!She reminds me of Lexi in this picture.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 8/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, SassyPants said:

I’m not sure about the size of Erin’s master bedroom, maybe it’s the same size as the kids’ room, but I did wonder why the parents didn’t move to the smaller room, provided the kids currently reside in that smaller room.

If it’s all about kids being blessings and having child after child, why wouldn’t you make those blessings as comfortable as possible?

We'll see if the kids end up sleeping on shelving instead of real beds.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Granwych said:

We'll see if the kids end up sleeping on shelving instead of real beds.

That's how I feel about the Duggars boys room. They call it bunk beds but it looks like human shelving to me. A bedroom shouldn't look like a camp punishment room.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

also in looks and clothing style she looks like one of alyssa's kids this was meant to be on my other post re Everly in shorts :)

On 9/9/2019 at 1:08 AM, Angelface said:

I think that it’s Everly in the shorts and T-shirt. She does look a lot like Alyssa’s girls. 

Yep yep brain thinking everly fingers typing brooklyn

Edited by AussieKrissy
opps
  • Upvote 5

I saw on some rando baby names list (I am really into keeping up with these for no good reason) the Everly is supposed to be one of the more popular names for 2019.  A lot of people that don't share my taste in names, that's for sure.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I saw on some rando baby names list (I am really into keeping up with these for no good reason) the Everly is supposed to be one of the more popular names for 2019.  A lot of people that don't share my taste in names, that's for sure.

Names that start with Ev have gained popularity in the last few years. It started with Evelyn. When a name becomes popular, so do similar names. An example would be Emily. It was popular first, and then Emma gained popularity. Aiden became popular, so names like Brayden, Hayden, Caiden, and Jayden followed. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 7:11 AM, Pretzel said:

The whole discussion reeks of a lot of entitlement to me. Not everyone in this world is so lucky to live in a low density area where housing is affordable and bigger houses are the norm rather than the exception. Some people live perfectly well and make do with limited living space. After all, a big house and separate kids' rooms do not a happy childhood make nor does limited living space equal a lack of quality of life

It kind of is. For a period of time, my husband shared one room with his mother, sister, and baby brother. This was a small, city bedroom too. 

It sounds like a white, first world problem to be honest. 

That said, I hope they move before there family gets too big, Actually, I just hope they stop having kids period. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 5

On 8/25/2019 at 3:41 AM, Melissa1977 said:

I know that milions of children in the world don't have any toy. Bates children hadn't toys probably! But when there are no toys or just a few ones, let's be sincere, kids get bored and naughty. I think Erin makes them play outside no matter the weather. 

Loathe as I am to defend a Bates, there have been studies that have shown that having the ability to explore the outdoors freely is something that children both desire and actually contributes to them being happy and well adjusted. So this is one area I will not snark on her for. In fact, Western children should be outside more.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I've been out of the Bates loop for a while, so I'm catching up on the name discussion. When I first heard Holland I thought wtf, but it's surprisingly growing on me. I also loved that I initially assumed it was a boy's name. I dig certain gender bender names, like Tracy/Shannon/Alexis for boys and Tristan/Bryan/Sean for girls. 

(One of my boy name choices is Julian. People tell me it's girly and I personally LIKE that about it).

The country/place name discussion reminds me of a nerdy tidbit from American history.

The Marquis de Lafayette (my second favorite person in history--yes I have a list) named his daughter Virginie after the state. Ben Franklin joked about that being a theme. He said, "Admittedly Georgia and Carolina would make pretty names, but Massachuestts and Connecticut sound harsh even for a boy."

That still makes me lol. 

Edited by BernRul
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

So with Erin's comments on last week's show about dresses for Carlin, I'm sensing that she is angling for her own vow renewal. Chick is a lot of things, but subtle isn't one of them. My guess is that if Trace and Chaney don't get engaged soon, she'll be pitching her desire for another wedding to UP. 

Who cares if the kids are stacked up like firewood? Let's get a new dress and have Chad make wood handi-crafts for the country/farm wedding of her dreams. 

• Upvote 8

I was born in the early 50s, and when I first heard of vow renewals it was for couples who had drifted apart in their marriage and decided to once again proclaim their love for each other to kind of start fresh.  Seems like a vow renewal should be a spiritually private matter. Am I a fogey?

• Upvote 12

10 minutes ago, Bobology said:

I was born in the early 50s, and when I first heard of vow renewals it was for couples who had drifted apart in their marriage and decided to once again proclaim their love for each other to kind of start fresh.  Seems like a vow renewal should be a spiritually private matter. Am I a fogey?

I used to think so. But now I think some people just want an excuse for a second wedding.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

My parents are about to celebrate their 50th anniversary. I asked if they wanted to do a renewal. My mother said, "I am not making the mistake of marrying him again."

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I used to think so. But now I think some people just want an excuse for a second wedding.

Agreed. I think it is just a do-over. My cousin got married in her grandparents living room between innings in a baseball game at age 16 because she was knocked up. She swore from day one that she would do a vow renewal at 10 years because she wanted her big fancy white wedding dress. I can get that desire. Her wedding didn't include a wedding march. It included someone yelling at her grandfather to turn off the tv because the "weddin' was startin.'"

Erin had a large crowd at her wedding, but apparently had a low turn out for the shower, etc. Given that they didn't have their own show at the time and no money for a really nice event, I can see her being a bit wistful about it now that her younger sisters are getting fancier dresses and prettier locations. Her wedding was televised on the Duggars' show and included more scenes of them reacting to a contemporary getting married than her. If I remember correctly, I think that was an episode where the focus was on Ben and Jessa courting, as is appropriate since it was the Duggars' show. 

I can get her wanting one. I just find it frivolous and silly when their supposed narrative that they have been spewing is about saving money to build or buy/fix up their dream home. And no they don't have to have a large bedroom for privacy for each and every child. I just can't imagine the logistical nightmare they are setting up as the quantity of children grows and the square footage does not. I'm not one of these HGTV house hunting women who wants a separate bed and bath for both of my girls and a hang out space for them and another for me. But I do prefer them to have some space and the ability to be alone or together without having to lock themselves in the pantry for a moment of privacy. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I did get that vibe from her when she was saying that stuff about renewals to Carlin. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We reaffirmed our wedding vows for our 25th anniversary because we weren't the same people who married in 1983. We had been through four miscarriages, some hard times in our marriage to the point where the only conversation was about the grocery list, the deaths of all four parents, law school for me, another degree for him, an attempt at teaching which didn't work out for him, his deployment to Kuwait/Iraq, and the beginning of my chronic illness.

We wanted to celebrate the 25 years we had been together and reaffirm that the new people we were in 2008 were still in love and even more committed to each other and our relationship.

We kept it small and held it at our church. I wore a red velvet dress and flowers in my hair. We did buy my husband a new navy suit; got a killer deal at Macy's for suit, silver/gray shirt and red ties with silver/gray figures.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 21

39 minutes ago, sixcatatty said:

We reaffirmed our wedding vows for our 25th anniversary because we weren't the same people who married in 1983. We had been through four miscarriages, some hard times in our marriage to the point where the only conversation was about the grocery list, the deaths of all four parents, law school for me, another degree for him, an attempt at teaching which didn't work out for him, his deployment to Kuwait/Iraq, and the beginning of my chronic illness.

We wanted to celebrate the 25 years we had been together and reaffirm that the new people we were in 2008 were still in love and even more committed to each other and our relationship.

We kept it small and held it at our church. I wore a red velvet dress and flowers in my hair. We did buy my husband a new navy suit; got a killer deal at Macy's for suit, silver/gray shirt and red ties with silver/gray figures.

Sound wonderful. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, sixcatatty said:

That makes sense to me. I'm commitment phobic, but milestones are important. 

Speculation on my part, but I doubt Erin or any of the Bates would do small, simple, and meaningful as much as they want bigger and flashier. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, sixcatatty said:

25, 50 and 75 are the most prominent marriage milestones and many have a celebration of some sort. But even with a vow renewal there is a big difference to what the Bates (and I think Michelle Duggar) have been doing: it’s not a second wedding (because, well dough you are already married) and there are no gifts (maybe flowers) from the guests. At least here. 

Just because your last wedding wasn’t as successful in the gift department or not as pinteresty is no reason from a religious point of view.

I actually wonder how they justify their take on vow renewals theologically.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

One thing I think Erin and Chad could stand to re-do is deciding NOT to have a cake for Gothard at any potential vow renewal ceremony.

• Upvote 10

13 hours ago, sixcatatty said:

That's really wonderful. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I can see Erin trying to finagle her own vow renewal for the show. Especially considering how I'm sure she would do it WAY different this go around.

That being said I just don't understand the point, in the sense of having a whole hoopla with guests, etc. If a couple wants to renew their vows for whatever reason, more power to them. Write those vows, choose your clothing, find a beautiful location, hell hire a photographer if you want. But let it be between the two of you, and your children if you have them. Why have a full blown wedding with guests all over again? It always seems like every couple who wants to have one uses some form of "we've had lots of changes, we split up and got back together, we had a rushed marriage, etc" - that's totally fine if a couple wants to reaffirm their love/commitment but to me that's a personal moment between the two of them.  Like do they think it makes it any more valid if they do it in front of all their family & friends? At the end of the day it's no skin off my back what people do - I just tend to fall into the "they really just want a big wedding/party" when it comes to vow renewals.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

26 minutes ago, LillyP said:

I can see Erin trying to finagle her own vow renewal for the show. Especially considering how I'm sure she would do it WAY different this go around.

That being said I just don't understand the point, in the sense of having a whole hoopla with guests, etc. If a couple wants to renew their vows for whatever reason, more power to them. Write those vows, choose your clothing, find a beautiful location, hell hire a photographer if you want. But let it be between the two of you, and your children if you have them. Why have a full blown wedding with guests all over again? It always seems like every couple who wants to have one uses some form of "we've had lots of changes, we split up and got back together, we had a rushed marriage, etc" - that's totally fine if a couple wants to reaffirm their love/commitment but to me that's a personal moment between the two of them.  Like do they think it makes it any more valid if they do it in front of all their family & friends? At the end of the day it's no skin off my back what people do - I just tend to fall into the "they really just want a big wedding/party" when it comes to vow renewals.

Yeah I'm in the process of planning my wedding right now and I cannot even imagine trying to do this all over again for a vow renewal. There are too many things to do, too expensive, and too many family politics that if I ever have a vow renewal or have to get married again, I'm eloping and not telling anyone. My fiance and I considered doing that for our wedding but we have too many friends that we want to share the day with to just go off and elope. I can totally see her inviting everyone and having a cute shabby chic rustic wedding straight out of Pinterest and forcing Chad to make all sorts of things for it and having all her little girls as flower girls. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I think it's because the first several couples had much more conservative and less lavish ceremonies. Now, the younger ones are having weddings that look a lot different from the first couples- so a vow renewal gets them that type of ceremony too. Plus, attention. My husband and I would probably never do it- it's just not our style. I think if a couple hits a major milestone and they want to mark it that way, that's great for them. I remember my husband's grandparents renewing vows  for their 60th wedding anniversary. Not a dry eye in the house. We just like time spent alone, when we hit our 25th we went to Niagara Falls and then the finger lakes for a week. 

Edited by fluffernutter
  • Upvote 5

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic