IGNORED

Erin & Chad 5: I’m Thoroughly Defrauded by Chad’s Attire

HerNameIsBuffy

30 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

So by this logic no one has ever had more than they could handle of anything, ever?  ?‍♀️

Exactly.  Not just a fundy thing, plenty of fundy lite people subscribe to this.

My mom did as a way of gaining mental strength to deal with life’s struggles - like psyching yourself for the challenge knowing God thinks you’re up to it.

But she also believed God helps those who helps themselves and that he expects you to use the brain he gave you to make wise choices.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

I sometimes doubt that a fundie father caving under the weight of his provider role would even be able to recognize his situation. The Wave O’ Babies is so normalized that I wonder if he would think to connect his stress with the birth of his 5th or 6th kid. I could see thought processes like “I’m worrying a lot about money to provide for my family lately... I need to stop worshipping material wealth and trust God more” or “I’m physically exhausted all the time working to provide... maybe I should quit my job and become a pastor!”

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Exactly.  Not just a fundy thing, plenty of fundy lite people subscribe to this.

My mom did as a way of gaining mental strength to deal with life’s struggles - like psyching yourself for the challenge knowing God thinks you’re up to it.

But she also believed God helps those who helps themselves and that he expects you to use the brain he gave you to make wise choices.

I think it's a pretty common christian platitude.  It seems to be used more when someone is having a hard time.   I've heard it used pretty often for illness or when having financial trouble.  It makes sense that the quiverfullers would use it to refer to "blessings".  

• I Agree 3

5 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

So by this logic no one has ever had more than they could handle of anything, ever?  ?‍♀️

Meh, God never giving you more than you can handle was Mother Teresa and not scriptural.  You know, that unsaintly nun who thought it was great to deny people in her care pain medication so they could reach a state of grace through suffering.  Suffering is Jesus kissing you.  :angry-banghead:

But it comes from 1 Corinthians.  I blame a lot of shit on Paul.  "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

And it all comes under testing of your faith.  God is mean like that.  He keeps letting bad stuff happen so you can prove your faith.  And it is all Eve's fault.  

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."   John 16:33 

Furthermore the better a Christian you are then the more God will allow afflictions.  Really bad ones!

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all." Psalm 34:19  

• Upvote 24
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve definitely had more than I could handle. Specifically, the giant platter of nachos I ordered last night without realizing it was a giant platter. By Fundie logic, I probably should have just closed my eyes and kept shoving nachos down my throat.  ?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Pretty much. And if you feel like you do, you probably need to check your heart and pray. All things should be “handed to the lord”, so if you’re worried you aren’t doing that. I was taught that the very act of worrying is a sin and we shouldn’t ever do it.  I was embarrassed to ever admit that I was stressed about life ((beyond typical school and friend matters)) because it meant I was doing something wrong. And since worry//stress is a natural  feeling, clearly something was very, very wrong with me and God must be angry that I couldn’t stop it. 

Edited by Illmarryyoujana
Accidental edit
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3

I don't remember what Beth Moore study I was doing (circa 9 years ago) but Beth Moore had that passage in one of her studies.  And that word in the original language means... temptation.  And only temptation.  It is often misquoted and misinterpreted.  

And I loathe, no detest people who quote that platitude to me.  Beth Moore's video on the subject was quite moving and she spoke, I think of the horror of a mother who had a child die.  And how God doesn't do that to us.  (sorry, I'm blithering but this is a hot button bit with me).  

When I hear that (to me) nonsense I mentally cringe.  I associate it with the concept of predestination - which I don't subscribe to.  I'm a 'free will' girl who believes that God can work good out of my stupid decisions and that we have a tendency to impose human concepts of time on a superhuman God who can be in the past, present and future in the same moment (thank you CS Lewis).  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve definitely had more than I could handle. Specifically, the giant platter of nachos I ordered last night without realizing it was a giant platter. By Fundie logic, I probably should have just closed my eyes and kept shoving nachos down my throat.  ?

YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T????

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

@VelociRapture I tried to find a picture of Jesus in nachos to symbolize what you denied, but sadly a 30 second google search was not rewarding.  You may be in the clear.

• Haha 13

3 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T????

I DON’T HAVE THE ROOM RIGHT NOW BECAUSE MY SON IS TAKING UP VALUABLE NACHO REAL ESTATE!!! :laughing-rolling:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 22

"God never gives you more than you can handle"...BULLSHIT!!! Dude if that were true I could benchpress semi-trucks, be utterly bulletproof and leap tall buildings in a single bound. I'm dying here, physically, mentally, emotionally exhausted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 23

On 6/23/2019 at 7:42 AM, Illmarryyoujana said:

I don’t think they’ve ever said it, but growing up  general conservative southern baptist it was always said “God won’t give you more than you can handle”. That applies to everything, even burdens. 

Two thoughts:

1) I've never heard them say that God won't give them more children than they can handle, just that children are blessings from God and it would be wrong to be closed to His blessings.

2) I HATE the statement "God won't give you more than you can handle." Of course He will. If He didn't, why would we need God? If they're basing that on 1 Corinthians 10:13, it really doesn't say that. He only promises that there is a way out.

17 hours ago, feministxtian said:

"God never gives you more than you can handle"...BULLSHIT!!! Dude if that were true I could benchpress semi-trucks, be utterly bulletproof and leap tall buildings in a single bound. I'm dying here, physically, mentally, emotionally exhausted. 

Hugs- I'm sorry.

Edited by nolongerIFBx
  • Upvote 4

This may be a simplistic way to think of it, but I've always felt that "god" (I'm an agnostic, so I'll use "life") can give you more than you can handle, and the proof of that is suicide.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

On 6/23/2019 at 8:59 AM, nickelodeon said:

I sometimes doubt that a fundie father caving under the weight of his provider role would even be able to recognize his situation. The Wave O’ Babies is so normalized that I wonder if he would think to connect his stress with the birth of his 5th or 6th kid. I could see thought processes like “I’m worrying a lot about money to provide for my family lately... I need to stop worshipping material wealth and trust God more” or “I’m physically exhausted all the time working to provide... maybe I should quit my job and become a pastor!”

Great point, and this is especially true for someone like Chad who is so immersed in the lifestyle. It would be hard for him to bring up the subject of BC, even if he is consciously aware of feeling like four children are enough. Often, feelings like that are buried way deep down.

Fundie life has worked out great for Erin, and she seems to love having babies, so I am not sure how amendable she'd be to any talk of NFP or birth control.

Edited by Hisey

On 6/23/2019 at 9:57 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@VelociRapture I tried to find a picture of Jesus in nachos to symbolize what you denied, but sadly a 30 second google search was not rewarding.  You may be in the clear.

Would you settle for Tortilla Jesus?

image.png.f013d61d3fe98ce2b3b869836895e414.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 13
  • Love 2

On 6/24/2019 at 3:57 AM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@VelociRapture and @GuineaPigCourtship, maybe I can help... while he doesn’t miraculously appear in a platter of Mexican food, he’s eating it SO YOU SHOULD, TOO! 

317E8250-B86C-4B9E-96EB-3D14146B6281.png

Also, there are these gems, Jesus in a naan (kinda creepy photo on the bottom) and a breakfast burrito 

71F3C5ED-6517-48CB-A546-BDEFBE93342B.jpeg

2CF7AFCB-492F-4E88-8F53-DC0DBBF4749E.jpeg

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Also, there are these gems, Jesus in a naan (kinda creepy photo on the bottom) and a breakfast burrito 

2CF7AFCB-492F-4E88-8F53-DC0DBBF4749E.jpeg

That naan has got to be touched up... just too freaky... but cool!

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Would you settle for Tortilla Jesus?

image.png.f013d61d3fe98ce2b3b869836895e414.png

That looks more like some kind of Beelzebub, even similar to an actor (can't remember) in some 50s-ish movie or TV show (can't remember.)

• Upvote 3

On 6/23/2019 at 9:09 PM, feministxtian said:

I've really hate that phrase. I've heard that all the time growing up. Especially from my mom although I could never decide if she truly believed it, said it because she found it comforting or hoped it was true. I could name several different times in my life, hers and my dad's life that we had way more then we could handle. That's not getting into kids being raised in poverty or their parents struggling to raise them, slavery, Holocaust and long list of other stuff.  It is so not true.

Edited by JordynDarby5
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

• 3 weeks later...

https://hollywoodlife.com/tag/bringing-up-bates "Erin will name her little girl Holland Grace."

Per Hollywood Life, it's another baby girl named after another place or maybe after the actress Holland Taylor who's partner is Sarah Paulson? Nope I don't think that's it....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

"Erin will name her little girl Holland Grace."

Is there any fundie or quiverfull family anywhere that does NOT have a daughter with the name Grace?

• Upvote 8

16 minutes ago, llucie said:

Holland? sorry but what an awful name. 

Think they are trying to be "different". Sounds like it should be a boy's name instead. Have any of them ever been to Holland?

• Upvote 4

I actually love the name Holland. It doesn't flow with the other kids names though.

A flood of girls for the Bates ugh, I wish it was all boys.

• Upvote 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic